• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can you post your .ini to Mediafire or something please? My game looks nothing like that and I'm rendering it internally at 3200x1800.

It's from an ooooold version of DSFix (before all the big bells and whistles, the image is timestamped at 2 years ago, and it would be incompatible with current Dark Souls) but I found the original.

5760x3240

If your PC can handle it, you should try pushing to 3840x2160 for your rendering resolution.

It's from an ooooold version of DSFix (before all the big bells and whistles, the image is timestamped at 2 years ago, and it would be incompatible with current Dark Souls) but I found the original.

5760x3240

If your PC can handle it, you should try pushing to 3840x2160 for your rendering resolution.

Ahhh alright, managed to fix it myself. Turns out I just put in the resolution values in the wrong place, and for some reason my GTX 670 just dies when I try to downscale from 3840x2160.

Anyway, another screenshot just to keep the thread going.

ibhPHMYBVeA9Ej.png

Randam

Text is blurry because your depth of field resolution is the same as your rendering resolution(or display resolution?).

Lower it.

hey, thanks man.

question: is it even possible to play dark souls right now?
because of the DFWL thing?

it tells me I cant play online and I cant save my progress.

now I deleted everything(game and the GFWL stuff it installed) and redownloaded it steam and now it doesnt start at all.
there isnt any GFWL stuff to be found this time.
do I need that?
how do I install that manually?

Grumbul

Well, whatever DSfix does it ain't fixing anything my end right now.

If I drop the files to the DATA file all is ok, but the second I select "1" to unlock framerate I get a Windows (7) error 'DARK SOULS PREPARE TO DIE EDITION executable has stopped working'.

If I change the fps unlock to '0' everything is fine. Well apart from the crappy frame rate :)

-actually no scrap that - with DSfix files it does not work at all. Problem with GFWL?
-and scrap that as well, because now even with the files deleted it does not work whatsoever. Epic.
-full re-install, right back where I started.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Well, whatever DSfix does it ain't fixing anything my end right now.

If I drop the files to the DATA file all is ok, but the second I select "1" to unlock framerate I get a Windows (7) error 'DARK SOULS PREPARE TO DIE EDITION executable has stopped working'.

If I change the fps unlock to '0' everything is fine. Well apart from the crappy frame rate :)

-actually no scrap that - with DSfix files it does not work at all. Problem with GFWL?
-and scrap that as well, because now even with the files deleted it does not work whatsoever. Epic.
-full re-install, right back where I started.

Disable Windows DEP to use the 60fps unlock. Somepeople need to do it, others don't - you need to.

Instructions

can you leave the game with alt + tab and change settings in the dsfix.ini in realtime?

I believe some but not all.

You can edit the SSAO and SMAA instructions files then reload them, but you can't change resolution, the type of SSAO, the type of AA, etc etc.

Basically, nothing the average user would likely tweak no.

Techies

Am I the only one who thinks splitscreen (one that's well done) would be awesome for this game?

That and they should really remove GFWL from Dark Souls, that would essentially double to concurrent playerbase.

Elija2

Is there any way to make the game run a bit better? My framerate is pretty awful. I tried unlocking the framerate but it only made it worse.

Perkel

Banned
Someone uses FPS unlock er and GFWL ? Is it safe ? Or mods ?

edit:

aww yeeeees.

After i changed my CPU from Q9300@3Ghz to i53470@3.3 playing DS at 60FPS feels like fucking dream.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is there any way to make the game run a bit better? My framerate is pretty awful. I tried unlocking the framerate but it only made it worse.

Change rendering resolution to 800x720.

Set AA to FXAA and disable it.

Turn off SSAO.

Set DoF rendering resolution to default, blur to default, and ensure scaling is enabled.

Unlock frame rate at 30 fps for something more consistent, or 60 if you don't mind it jumpy.

Locking the framerate should onlz make it run better unless your CPU is powering a toaster.

DO as the above poster recommended.

Conezays

Apologies if this has been gone over ad nauseum...I was playing this game earlier in the year on PC and now the game won't even boot up. I had installed DSFix and was having no issues previously. Now the game crashes upon start up.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Randam

Unlock frame rate at 30 fps for something more consistent, or 60 if you don't mind it jumpy.

sorry, but what exactly does this mean?

i have it like this now:
# Enable variable framerate (up to 60)
# NOTE:
# - this requires in-memory modification of game code, and may get you banned from GFWL
# - there may be unintended side-effects in terms of gameplay
# - you need a very powerful system (especially CPU) in order to maintain 60 FPS
# - in some instances, collision detection may fail. Avoid sliding down ladders
# Use this at your own risk!
# 0 = no changes to game code
# 1 = unlock the frame rate
unlockFPS 1

# FPS limit, only used with unlocked framerate
# do not set this much higher than 60, this will lead to various issues with the engine
FPSlimit 60

should i set unlockFPS to 1 and FPS limit to 30?

Clawww

well, try it with 60 there first and see how it performs. if you're getting lots of stuttering and inconsistent framerate, go back and make it 30.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

i have it loke this now:

If your PC is capable of rendering at 60fps, then set it to 60fps.

For that specific person. I mentioned the 30 vs 60 thing because if they can't lock a stable 60fps, then their framerate would likely be fluctuating all over between 15-60fps which can look pretty bad.

If he sets it to 30, then when it's capable of rendering 30fps it'll render that and he'll have a more even frame rate.

It's basically choosing between a stable 30 and an unstable sub-60.

But, if your PC can do 60, just do 60.

i have it like this now:

Randam, even if your rig is incapable of a consistent 60 FPS, there is NO reason whatsoever not to set unlockFPS to 1.

I'll reiterate what I said earlier on in this thread wrt to my own rig, it made the difference between the framerate plunging straight down to 15 FPS from 30 FPS (unplayable) to a fluctuating framerate instead that hovered between 25 - 30 FPS (much more playable) when in a place like Blighttown.

Everyone should have unlockFPS set to 1, and the necessary DEP exceptions set if the game crashes with it set to 1. It's the biggest gamechanger/improvement that DSfix brings to the table other than the increased rendering res and evens out the playing field for lower end rigs tremendously. The minimum requirements for the game are lowered dramatically with unlockFPS set to 1.

Parsnip

I went through half of Blighttown with locked framerate and that's something no one should experience if given the option. The worst part is that I was using DSfix but didn't realize that this v-sync behavior was a thing, and just took it as part the Souls experience. :p

It was quite a revelation when I unlocked it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wait, so you're not in risk of being banned from unlocking the FPS?

There is technically a chance.

It has happened to nobody who has ever done it.

GFWL is being discontinued.

There's a near 0% chance you will get banned for it.

Grumbul

Disable Windows DEP to use the 60fps unlock. Somepeople need to do it, others don't - you need to.

Instructions

I believe some but not all.

You can edit the SSAO and SMAA instructions files then reload them, but you can't change resolution, the type of SSAO, the type of AA, etc etc.

Basically, nothing the average user would likely tweak no.

Thanks for the support mate - much appreciated.

As it turned out it was me being a bit of a plonker. I'd searched for the DSFix files and picked them up from The Nexus. As it turned out they hold the older version so I picked the correct ones up from Durante's own site and hey presto I have Dark Souls running at 60fps. Bloody glorious.

A thank you from me Durante!

JonCha

Noob question, but I edited the Dsfix file and need to save it again but can't rename it as the .ini extension (or whatever it is if that's wrong). Is there something I'm missing here?

Facism

even if you can't run at 60fps, unlocking the fps stops the game from dropping to 15fps whenever it feels like dropping below 30.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Noob question, but I edited the Dsfix file and need to save it again but can't rename it as the .ini extension (or whatever it is if that's wrong). Is there something I'm missing here?

Are you editing it with Notepad?

Under the file type dropdown save it as "All Files" or something like that, then it will save it as the exact name you type into the box. so "DSFIx.ini"

Are you editing it with Notepad?

Under the file type dropdown save it as "All Files" or something like that, then it will save it as the exact name you type into the box. so "DSFIx.ini"

Or surround the file name with quotation marks.

Note that if you might run into access control issues trying to save an INI file within the Program Files subdirectory, in which case the easiest workaround is just to save the file to the Desktop then move it to the intended location later. Or run Notepad as Administrator.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I used the fix, and it runs fine, but against the Asylum demon, when he hits the floor with the hammer there was a big fps drop. What's causing this?

Settings: Rendering res 2304x1296 (to 1080p), SMAA ultra, HBAO Strenght 3 Scale 1, DoF res 810, texture filtering override 2, not using the unlocked framerate.

My CPU (i5-2500, GPU GTX570) it's barely being used (25% top).
Maybe I should lower the HBAO scale?

Also, is the AF override the same as forcing AF through the nVidia control panel?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I used the fix, and it runs fine, but against the Asylum demon, when he hits the floor with the hammer there was a big fps drop. What's causing this?

Settings: Rendering res 2304x1296 (to 1080p), SMAA ultra, HBAO Strenght 3 Scale 1, DoF res 810, texture filtering override 2, not using the unlocked framerate.

My CPU (i5-2500, GPU GTX570) it's barely being used (25% top).
Maybe I should lower the HBAO scale?

Also, is the AF override the same as forcing AF through the nVidia control panel?

Yeah don't use the INI for forcing AF, use the Nvidia control panel.

There's a big FPS drop because theres a bunch of destruction and smoke. I've noticed that smoke, gas, fog whatever are HUGE FPS tankers.

Towards the end of the game when I was facing bosses with Fog gates my FPS would just be abysmal. I fought centipede demon at ~10fps.

HBAO is fairly demanding so turning that off might help.

TronLight

Yeah don't use the INI for forcing AF, use the Nvidia control panel.

There's a big FPS drop because theres a bunch of destruction and smoke. I've noticed that smoke, gas, fog whatever are HUGE FPS tankers.

Towards the end of the game when I was facing bosses with Fog gates my FPS would just be abysmal. I fought centipede demon at ~10fps.

HBAO is fairly demanding so turning that off might help.

Yeah I knew about the smoke/fog but I didn't think it would be this bad. :lol

You need to unlock your framerate. Feel free to set the limit to 30, but make sure you unlock it.

What difference would it make?

Also, the minimal hud isn't working. Yes, I enabled the hud modifications.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah I knew about the smoke/fog but I didn't think it would be this bad. :lol

If it's default locked, then the second your PC is only capable of rendering 29fps or less it drops down to 15fps.

If it's unlocked at 30 then if it can only render 29fps, it will render and show those exact 29.

It makes the drops and dips much less of a nuisance.

But, I've also got a 570, why not go 60fps?

I tend to just turn off SSAO, use SMAA and render at 1440p or 1080p and I can hold pretty reliable to 60fps.

Nabs

I think it kills those hard drops to 15. It makes it a much smoother experience.

Minimal hud only works for me when I'm not downsampling. So I play at 1080p and 60fps.

Sykotik

The game is heavily CPU bound. That's the most likely culprit. Certain things just cause the game to tank. Environment destruction, particles, smoke/fog etc. all take their toll heavily.

Look in the dskeys.ini and activate some of the toggle keys. You can toggle things on and off to see if there is a specfic effect causing the majority of the drop.

TronLight

If it's default locked, then the second your PC is only capable of rendering 29fps or less it drops down to 15fps.

If it's unlocked at 30 then if it can only render 29fps, it will render and show those exact 29.

It makes the drops and dips much less of a nuisance.

But, I've also got a 570, why not go 60fps?

I tend to just turn off SSAO, use SMAA and render at 1440p or 1080p and I can hold pretty reliable to 60fps.

All right, I'll unlock the framerate.
I didn't go with 60fps yet because I wanted to check that everything was working.

The game is heavily CPU bound. That's the most likely culprit. Certain things just cause the game to tank. Environment destruction, particles, smoke/fog etc. all take their toll heavily.

Look in the dskeys.ini and activate some of the toggle keys. You can toggle things on and off to see if there is a specfic effect causing the majority of the drop.
I heard that, that's why I was checking my CPU usage, and as I said, it didn't go over 25%. :lol

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
All right, I'll unlock the framerate.
I didn't go with 60fps yet because I wanted to check that everything was working.

I heard that, that's why I was checking my CPU usage, and as I said, it didn't go over 25%. :lol

If it crashes on 60fps, don't forget to disable Windows DEP.

There's instructions on how to do it I've posted on either this page or the last one.

TronLight

Yep, with the unlocked framerate drops are much less noticeable.

And holy shit, VSSAO/HBAO Scale 1 really tanks the framerate, it's a sharp 20fps loss. Scale 3 it's really ugly but it doesn't have a big drop (1-2fps), 2 it's a sweet spot.

There is an awful lot of tearing though, is it ok to force vsync through the nvidia cp?

Let me guess, quad-core cpu?

Yes. If you're going to say that the game is using 100% of one core only, the task manager graph showed that the workload was evenly distributed between each core.

I don't know if it's accurate or not, I'm just reporting what I'm seeing. :lol

I have a question about the backup save system.

Couple of months ago I was bored waiting to be summoned so I started fucking around and eventually changed the random Live ID GFWL gives you and that seems to have made the DSfix backup saves to stop since they are tied to the old ID, anyway to fix that ?

Durante

Yes. If you're going to say that the game is using 100% of one core only, the task manager graph showed that the workload was evenly distributed between each core.

I don't know if it's accurate or not, I'm just reporting what I'm seeing. :lol
That's just because the windows scheduler defaults to extremely silly behaviour when there's a purely sequential load.

I can't get the FPS unlock to work at all. All I want is a solid 30 at least, but every time I mess with the unlock the game won't start. I already disabled DEP and turned off in game AA.

Top Bottom