• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

LiquidCube

Neo Member
I have a 1920*1200 monitor and a capable computer. What Depth of Field resolution override value should I use. Can I pick any number, should I keep it in 16:10 ratio, or choose one of the listed values? I can't put it at 1200 since that's my vertical rendering resolution and it advises against it (why?).

Vitacat

Newbie to Dark Souls PC here. Snagged for $5.99 on Steam and enjoying it. Using DSFix and HD texture pack.

I have noticed odd flickering in water, hard for me to describe. In the little pool with the statue near the firelink shrine, for example. as I move the camera about I see portions of the water textures flicker dark and light. Same thing in the water around the bridge deep under the ground.

Now, at first I thought maybe it was a DSFix issue, but this flicker seems to be there even without DSFix, unless I did something stupid.

Any insights or suggestions to fix this issue? Thanks.

Note, I am running the game on an AMD A6-3400M based laptop with 6GB RAM and Radeon GPU. Nothing fancy but it seems to run well enough, albeit at 720p.

NOTE: yes, I do have AA turned off. LOL. :p

CaLe

[Asmodean];95210767 said:
So, I decided to have a replay of Dark Souls, and said I'd write some shaders specifically for it.

Seeing as I've already spent far more time than I'd originally intended to on this, I thought I may as well share it, with any who may like to use it. I figured here would be the best place to do so, seeing as DS on PC would hardly be enjoyed at all, if not for Durante's excellent DSFix.

Current effects include:

• UHQ FXAA
  • High Quality Blended Bloom
  • Scene Tonemapping
  • RGB Colour Correction
  • Post Linear Gamma Correction
  • S-Curve Contrast Enhancement
  • Texture Sharpening
  • Pixel Vibrance Adjustment
I'm betting you're looking right now saying "ugh, FXAA? what is this hobo anti aliasing?, we have SMAA \o/". This FXAA implementation happens to be higher quality than the general SMAA available via injectors. With similar, or lower performance impact. It also has a double pass option, for those who want extremely high quality.

This pack also includes an updated version of VSSAO2 for DSFix.

To Install:
Extract DSFx_ShaderSuite_v1.00.zip to your \Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA root folder (where DATA.exe is) The shader options are all in an ini file named 'DSFx_Settings.ini' So , you shouldn't have to go near the actual fx fle. unless you want to, of course.

To Edit Settings:
Open DSFx_Settings.ini in a text editor. I recommend Notepad++, or the like. It'll probably look pretty messy if you use regular notepad to view/edit it. You can enable, disable, and customize various options for each effect. There are plenty of options to play around with. Settings are clearly sectioned, and labeled. Use the documentation comments for instructions on each option

I wrote the effects to work with Dark Souls via the great injector, eFX. This injector is not my work. It was created by Crosire.

Some screens below. There are a few more in the 'Screenshots Folder' in the SkyDrive link below for the archive. You're better off viewing original in full screen, if you want a somewhat decent comparison.

Shaders Off
Shaders Enabled - Default Settings
Cinematic Tonemapping Enabled
Shaders Off 2
Shaders Enabled 2

If you want to view the full quality screens, right-click the image once it loads up, and select 'view original'.

Constructive feedback is helpful. Enjoy. This typically isn't for those with systems that can barely handle Dark Souls as it is, unfortunately.

Link: DSFx Shader Suite v1.00

My system;
i7 3770k @ 4.4
GTX 680
8GB 2133 CL9

Thanks ! Giving it a try today, I'll post my impressions :)

Hi guys. I was hoping someone can help me. I dled dsfix2.2 and installed it as instructed via the readme file. I disabled DEP as well. For some reason, I'm still stuck at 30fps even when having unlockFPS 1 and FPSlimit 60 in the dsfix.ini. I made sure to have AA off in game as well. I'm running it with a 2600k oced to 4.4ghz and a 780ti Classified. Thanks.

Edit Fixed it myself. Thanks.

Edit 2: Oh wow what a difference it makes. It's like I went from playing a 10 year old game to playing a fairly modern game. WOW!

Randam

so how did you fix it?
what did you see?

WoMmFzn.png

;)

so how did you fix it?
what did you see?

WoMmFzn.png

;)

I had the contents of the dsfix folder in the DATA folder instead of keeping them in the dsfix folder inside the data folder. On a different issue, I uninstalled my Nvidia driver to troubleshoot a problem with OBS and I think I messed up dsfix in Dark Souls again. Now, when I set fpslimit to 1, Dark Souls doesn't launch. UGH!!!!

Simon_K

Neo Member
So... 4 days ago I've been playing without any issues with unlocked FPS, set to 30. Yesterday I turned on Dark Souls and get the BEX crash (I did add data.exe to DEP exceptions).

What gives? Was there an update or something? I checked, and it's the unlocked FPS that's crashing DATA.exe.

so how did you fix it?
what did you see?

WoMmFzn.png

;)

Hahaha, this happened to me with KOTOR 2 a few years ago. When that fan content patch came out I started it up, but I got the weirdest bug I've ever encountered and 20 hours in I couldn't progress in the game.

Only one person had a similar issue with no helpful result to his cries for help. :(

Got unlock FPS to work in 8.1 by using this link. http://mywindows8.org/disable-data-execution-prevention-in-windows-8/ and using the command line method. Not sure it's worth it since it disables DEP completely. I don't know why I was able to use the exception method before, but then it stopped working when I uninstalled my graphics driver.

Edit: Everything is all good now. I checked my default DEP setting on my other computer and put it back on my gaming computer. The Default DEP setting is "Turn on for essential Windows programs and services only". I had changed it to Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" I think things got messed up when I had installed the DSFIX files incorrectly and I was trying different things out. The lesson learned here is to read directions and remember to change back settings that you might have changed trying to troubleshoot. In short, I never had to change DEP in the first place.

ArynCrinn

Banned
So, I decided to have a replay of Dark Souls, and said I'd write some shaders specifically for it.

Seeing as I've already spent far more time than I'd originally intended to on this, I thought I may as well share it, with any who may like to use it. I figured here would be the best place to do so, seeing as DS on PC would hardly be enjoyed at all, if not for Durante's excellent DSFix.

Current effects include:

• UHQ FXAA
  • High Quality Blended Bloom
  • Scene Tonemapping
  • RGB Colour Correction
  • Post Linear Gamma Correction
  • S-Curve Contrast Enhancement
  • Texture Sharpening
  • Pixel Vibrance Adjustment
I'm betting you're looking right now saying "ugh, FXAA? what is this hobo anti aliasing?, we have SMAA \o/". This FXAA implementation happens to be higher quality than the general SMAA available via injectors. With similar, or lower performance impact. It also has a double pass option, for those who want extremely high quality.

This pack also includes an updated version of VSSAO2 for DSFix.

To Install:
Extract DSFx_ShaderSuite_v1.00.zip to your \Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA root folder (where DATA.exe is) The shader options are all in an ini file named 'DSFx_Settings.ini' So , you shouldn't have to go near the actual fx fle. unless you want to, of course.

To Edit Settings:
Open DSFx_Settings.ini in a text editor. I recommend Notepad++, or the like. It'll probably look pretty messy if you use regular notepad to view/edit it. You can enable, disable, and customize various options for each effect. There are plenty of options to play around with. Settings are clearly sectioned, and labeled. Use the documentation comments for instructions on each option

I wrote the effects to work with Dark Souls via the great injector, eFX. This injector is not my work. It was created by Crosire.

Some screens below. There are a few more in the 'Screenshots Folder' in the SkyDrive link below for the archive. You're better off viewing original in full screen, if you want a somewhat decent comparison.

Shaders Off
Shaders Enabled - Default Settings
Cinematic Tonemapping Enabled
Shaders Off 2
Shaders Enabled 2

If you want to view the full quality screens, right-click the image once it loads up, and select 'view original'.

Constructive feedback is helpful. Enjoy. This typically isn't for those with systems that can barely handle Dark Souls as it is, unfortunately.

Link: DSFx Shader Suite v1.00

My system;
i7 3770k @ 4.4
GTX 680
8GB 2133 CL9

Giving this a try myself, thx!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If I'm using SweetFX, DsFix and RadeonPro .... which takes precedence? Which one do I use to set AA and stuff? :(

DSFix takes precedence as it has the widest range of features (the AA used in DSfix is the same as in SweetFx anyone so that would be redundant.)

I've run into a couple of problems with Dark Souls recently and was wondering if anyone else had seen them before. These occur with DSFix on and off so that can't be the culprit.

1. When alt+tabbing out of fullscreen mode the game no longer minimises, it just stays above all other windows and the taskbar making it impossible to leave the game without exiting.

2. Delayed and doubled controller inputs. Every now and then when I hit a button either the action will come out a second or two later, or it will happen immediately and then a second later it will repeat despite only pressing the button once.

I haven't done anything weird to my computer so I really don't know what to make of these issues.

Randam

all this shadows around the grass, leaves, characters isnt normal, is it?

edit: wanted to continue playing.
start game up.
go on load game, choose my character, press x.

suddenly i am back at the "press start" screen and the "load game" funktion is gone.

wtf?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
all this shadows around the grass, leaves, characters isnt normal, is it?

edit: wanted to continue playing.
start game up.
go on load game, choose my character, press x.

suddenly i am back at the "press start" screen and the "load game" funktion is gone.

wtf?

Those shadows are SSAO. SSAO is basically "fake" shadows that get approximated based on where models are touching and make things feel a lot more realistic.

You just have it turned up way high. Set it to a lower mode and it should be much more subtle.

Randam

Those shadows are SSAO. SSAO is basically "fake" shadows that get approximated based on where models are touching and make things feel a lot more realistic.

You just have it turned up way high. Set it to a lower mode and it should be much more subtle.

ah. thanks.

any idea, what happend to my save game?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
idk.
i am sighned it now.
still now save.

started a new character now..

Damn man...

Have you been using DSFix's save backup feature?

You should be able to find your saves at

Code:
C:\Users\*Your Username*\Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls\*Your GFWL Name*

Gvaz

Banned

But, the version of smaa used with dsfix isn't the older one with the injector, but the newer version and it's built in.

Randam

Damn man...

Have you been using DSFix's save backup feature?

You should be able to find your saves at

Code:
C:\Users\*Your Username*\Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls\*Your GFWL Name*

there still was a save game, but for some reason he didnt recognize it.

i still have that fill, but i am still not quit sure, how the names of the savegames work.

Ok, so I've tried pretty much everything now and I'm pretty sure borderless window (or just windowed it seems) doesn't work on Windows 8. As soon as I enter the menu (Press Start) the screen is stuck; it's just blank with a faint text of "Press Start". I can navigate through the menu (I can hear the sound) and even enter the game and play it, it's just that the display is stuck on the "Press Start" screen.

I've tried all settings possible and tried re-installing, formatting etc etc. I can play in windowed mode without the fix, but it still stutters for a second on the same occasion (Press Start) which is new, so I'm not sure what's causing that.

Any ideas?

edit: I found several people with the same issue:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/666827315516612394/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/864980009845406770/
http://en.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/1qafsn/whats_the_current_fixworkaround_for_black_screen/

Sanctuary

Love this fix (who doesn't?), but I am having one odd issue so far, and it could just be a setting in the ini that I need to change. I have the resolution at 2560 x 1440 and haven't messed around with any other graphical options except to use SCAO and the DoF at 810. I didn't notice anything odd until running down to the toxic dragon. The puddle it spits is completely invisible.

Durante

Is it possible to display 16:10 without black bars? an older dsfix used to do this properly.
No, an older DSfix used to stretch it to 16:10, which is worse than black bars :p

I do think there's a real aspect ratio fix out there somewhere, but I don't remember where.

Gvaz

Banned
No, an older DSfix used to stretch it to 16:10, which is worse than black bars :p

I do think there's a real aspect ratio fix out there somewhere, but I don't remember where.
Oh I couldn't tell the difference at the time honestly.

I'll look into widescreen fixer though.

sfried

Personally SMAA since FXAA blurs the textures.

At what quality setting do you guys put your AA on? I actually left mine at SMAA 2 because I was noticibly getting slowdown on the lava level. I also just tried SMAA 4 and I looks like it started to really smooth out stuff (also cuts the shimmering caused by the rooftops intersecting the skybox), although by the same token aaQuality 4 for FXAA has the same effect.

Edit: I'm actually trying to find the equivallent setting closest to 4x MSAA.

sfried

Actually, it would be nice if there's a comparison between the two different anti-ailiasing modes in-game, along with their different quality comparisons. Frame-rate hit tests would also be nice too.

I turned off DEP and still can't use the 60 fps option, sigh. Also cannot get Shadowplay to run with Dark Souls (DSFix fullscreen set to 0, in game set to on).

Shawn6661

So i ve installed DSFix (well i guess it worked) and run into framerate troubles when in fullscreen (vanilla fullscreen, not the one in dsfix.ini). Its really odd because it runs fine then every 5-6 seconds the framerate drops for no reason. I have zero problem when running into vanilla windowed mode.
My dsfix.ini is vanilla except for the resolution i put 1680*1050 (my screen resolution) instead of 1920x1080.
So any clue why it runs better in windowed mode ? It doesnt bother me that much to play that way but it would be nice to enjoy the game in fullscreen !

My specs :
-i5 4570
-4850 512Mb (the culprit ?)
-8go ram
-ssd 500go
-windows 8.1 (by the way, what a pain to install GFWL)

sfried

I found a website trying to compare SMAA settings in DSfix, but the pics were not the best in quality so I couldn't notice it.

Do people in GAF use FXAA at all? Is it as blurry as they claim it to be?

Sullichin

So i ve installed DSFix (well i guess it worked) and run into framerate troubles when in fullscreen (vanilla fullscreen, not the one in dsfix.ini). Its really odd because it runs fine then every 5-6 seconds the framerate drops for no reason. I have zero problem when running into vanilla windowed mode.
My dsfix.ini is vanilla except for the resolution i put 1680*1050 (my screen resolution) instead of 1920x1080.
So any clue why it runs better in windowed mode ? It doesnt bother me that much to play that way but it would be nice to enjoy the game in fullscreen !

My specs :
-i5 4570
-4850 512Mb (the culprit ?)
-8go ram
-ssd 500go
-windows 8.1 (by the way, what a pain to install GFWL)

Try using borderless windowed mode in DSfix. And turn the framerate unlock on, but set the max FPS to 30.

Garcia

So yeah, basically I just started running DSfix for the first time and I still can't reattach my jaw.

Mother. Of. God.

Edit: Applying more fixes. :D

Gvaz

Banned
There's something wrong with your DoF or my eyes are fucked or something. Also no aliasing makes all those angles stand out.

I wonder how comprehensive they have a texture pack now?

Top Bottom