• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

legacyzero

Banned
The .ini should have whatever resolution you want the game to render at. The in-game resolution option is what you want the game to display at.

If the render resolution is higher than the display resolution, you get downsampling which creates an edge smoothing effect like AA.

So last night, i made the .ini say 2400x1300 and the display in game as 1600x900/32.

I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Game seems to look great. I guess it's only 1.5 times, but still looks pretty crisp.
0d4c2f0dc5c7d88f172e90938d760c5d19bf41ae.jpg

a1ee76d5d5667049ed6778eddc637756a704363e.jpg

Haunted

Version 0.4 including the DoF fix is now online.

I think I'll step out for an hour now and lie in the sun. (Praise it!)
Fantastic job, you've earned it.

Is there anything else still on the plate for your fix, or would you say this is a finished project from your end for now? (Barring any new bugs being discovered, obviously).

Also, some of the mods need a stern talking to if you still don't have an appropriate tag linking to your 23 minutes post by Monday. :p

Grief.exe

Thanks again durante! I have a stupid Saturday class right now lol or I'd test it out...or probably go back to sleep.

Amazing work!

antitrop

I played through 14 hours of the game yesterday at 2560x1440.

Anyone who says this game doesn't look fucking incredible is wrong. I was constantly blown away in every new area. The quality of the art is stunning.

Can anyone tell me why as soon as I copy the files to the installation directory the game will no longer load however as soon as I remove them all is working fine again! - Thanks!

Tess3ract

Banned
data-2012-08-25-14-1494u3w.jpg

This is with DoF completely disabled. I'll have an option for that, but I don't recommend it -- I think the game looks better with DoF, it's the way From intended it to look and it's also better for performance.

Release in 15 minutes.
Holy shit I'm disabling the DOF. That looks so much fucking better!!

Durante expect a donation from me in a few days, you are awesome man.

With 0.4 can anyone using the 360 controller level up? I spam the A button but nothing happens, works outside of that though.

Edit: NM got it to work after alt tabbing in and out.

holy sweet jesus. I move into college, I'm away for a few days and this happens?!

blown away. Also mad props. I was gonna be content playing with a shitty resolution, but this just makes double dipping even better.

Zzoram

I keep hearing Windows activity sounds in the background while playing. When I Alt+Tab, I don't see anything happening on my Desktop and the sounds persist. WTF?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
540 DOF looks like it should do to me I think, blurry enough without the pixelated loss of detail and lego like diagonals!

Amazing work Durante, truly fucking incredible. Will have to sling something your way come payday.

Cyrano

So I managed to get 30 FPS on a Macbook Air. I had to downscale the game to 512x360 (does some hilarious things to the start screen), but I got it working, gosh darn it!

I'm aware that most are using this to upscale to make the game look nicer, I'm instead using it to downscale to make it more playable. Man. Durante, this mod has everything!

Oh god, that looks good...
Fuck this game looks so amazing. I feel like the very first time playing it. It's a breath of fresh air to see the art so incredibly detailed.

I'm starting to wonder if things couldn't have worked out any better. We have an easy to use fix that so far hasn't been a problem, as far as the outcome. Perhaps From would have made a bigger mess of the game if it was up to them? At this point I no longer regret supporting the effort, and can't thank Durante enough. What a guy, I'm very grateful man. I hope in the end From/Namco will learn from this and not take us fans for granted.

Jubbly

God damn, this thread has over 429,000 views, Kotaku's piece got 50k, there's another 40K on the Steam forums, and yet still, not a single comment from Namco Bandai or FROM.

Erethian

God damn, this thread has over 429,000 views, Kotaku's piece got 50k, there's another 40K on the Steam forums, and yet still, not a single comment from Namco Bandai or FROM.

Bethesda never commented on the optimisations to Skyrim (before they remembered how to use an optimisation flag in a compiler) so I wouldn't expect FROM/Namco Bandai to.

Yea I would love to hear what they think. Must be feeling a bit humiliated at this point. I just don't understand it all.. However, as I mentioned I think it worked out quite well in the end.

Top Bottom