• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Truant

I just went from 0.1 to 0.4

The version I first had did some sort of filtering that made the textures look great. What setting in the filter overrride will make it look the same? Right now it's at 1.

Razek

Banned
Just ran around a bit to check things out. WOW. This game is absolutely drop dead gorgeous now. Forget the statue, we need this man immortalized in gold!
With a tag!

Bulk_Rate

Anyone on an E8500 3.16 ghz running this? Just curious how well it runs. Because that's what I have.

Stock clock E8400 here, 4 Gig RAM, with HD6850. Getting 30fps solid most of time with 1920x1080 internal res. Have not hit Blight Town yet though. Occasional very brief dips but the overall experience is pretty damn solid.

Vastag

Durante, thank you so much for the fix. I discarded the game after the initial announcement and those horrible screenshots that FROM published. Now I'm getting the game next month.

EasyMode

Anyone else getting really bad framerate drops in Demon Ruins? It seems as if no matter what I drop the res/aa to, whenever the background is in full view it automatically drops to 15FPS.

Oh, and the tunnel leading to the Demon Ruins is bad as well.

Yep, I was just there. 15 fps under the same circumstances. Too much stuff being drawn I guess.

Yep, big time. I can't run it the same resolution as the game on my 6950; i5-2500. Dang. Guess I'll have to settle for something lesser than a super sampled background.

Edit: Actually, I'll be honest. I can't see much of a difference quality wise between 2160 and 1080. Performance is of course, way better with 1080. I don't see much of a hit.

Yeah DoF at 1080p doesnt seem to impact my performance hardly at all.

Truant

Has Durante said anything about performance improvements? I guess he's pretty limited since he doesn't have direct access to the source code.

dino1980

Is there a way to implement Ambient Occlusion? Have an Radoen card so I cant force it like it seems with nvidia drivers.

The game would really look breathtaking with some AO.

Durante

I played for a bit (1.5 hours or so) now. Such a great game, and never dropped below 30 for me with a 2560x1440 framebuffer and 1920x1080 DoF.

I remember people saying something to the effect of "it won't look much better at higher res anyway, since it's just console assets". Lol.

data-2012-08-25-16-545nude.jpg

Also, 2160 DoF is really just for people with a 690 or so playing on a 30" screen. Most PCs won't be able to run it.

The only (admittedly very very minor, borderline inconsequential) nitpick I have with the latest version of the mod is that it seems to mess with the sun's lens flare effect. The bloom is fine, but lens flares don't appear when gazing at the sun unless I pan the camera past my character first to block the light - pretty weird! I'm curious if it's the depth-of-field fix at play, because the effect worked fine last night when I was using the 0.3 version. I'll try to fiddle with the configuration file later to see if I can find the culprit. Either way, no big deal - just figured I'd mention it in case it wasn't just my imagination!
I have not noticed this, please let me know if you discover anything more about the issue. You can try running it with disabled DoF override (0) to compare.

Razek

Banned
If the original DOF starts at 512x360 and the original rendering resolution is 1024x720, wouldn't setting it to half your internal resolution be the sensible thing to do?

I wanna try this. I'm still getting occasional dips in some areas after playing some more.

RedSwirl

Wait, so you guys are using the internal buffer mod to basically supersample the game? No one actually has a 3208 x 2140 monitor or anything like that do they?

Varna

Just tried it out... JESUS. It's like a whole new game. All that detail just buried under shitty console output... man.

When you guys first load your game, do you have to look around for a few seconds to stabilize the framerate? It's like the level is still loading and once the level completely loads the game stabilizes at 30 fps.

The DOF fix just jump the graphical presentation to a whole 'nother level. Unbelievable how this game looks now.

Razek

Banned
Dare I say this is the best looking PC game I have ever played?

Wow...I never expected I would say that about a console port.

I still refuse to believe this was a PS3 game.

When you guys first load your game, do you have to look around for a few seconds to stabilize the framerate? It's like the level is still loading and once the level completely loads the game stabilizes at 30 fps.

Yes, and any time I go back in the game from an alt-tab as well.

TheExodu5

Banned

Whenever I tab into the game or load it up, yeah for like 1-2 seconds. I'm running off an SSD.

I still refuse to believe this was a PS3 game.

I still refuse to believe this game is only 3.8GB. D:

EasyMode

Yes, I have the same issue in almost every modern game I play. I'll pan the camera around until the framerate stabalizes, then I'm good to go.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Dare I say this is the best looking PC game I have ever played?

Wow...I never expected I would say that about a console port.

That is you heart (and not your head) who is talking most likely.

but I'm actually very impressed with how PhyreEngine scale and run on PC, other developers should definitely use it.

MNC

Durante, do you have your own blog as well?

I see alot of sites talking about this linking to 'a modder's blog' and I was wondering if it's you and not someone stealing the thunder.

Also: What makes Dark Souls so good? I wonder if I should jump in on it.

DoF fix made the game much more enjoyable, even though Dark Souls is running 15 fps on my Nvidia laptop. Does anyone know of a solution to bring the fps to 30 that also allows me to save?

Zzoram

The DOF fix just jump the graphical presentation to a whole 'nother level. Unbelievable how this game looks now.

The game streams data because there are no loading screens except when you die. Since it's streaming, waiting around a few seconds every time you enter a new zone will help stabilize things by ensuring the data is loaded.

Durante

I see alot of sites talking about this linking to 'a modder's blog' and I was wondering if it's you and not someone stealing the thunder.
blog.metaclassofnil.com is my blog. It's linked in the OP of this thread ;)

Zzoram

Do it. It's not really easy to explain, you have to experience it. The gist of it is that it is a challenging game that requires you as a player to grow in skill, and that once you do and formerly unbeatable enemies now seem trivial, you will feel great.

Deepo

Durante, I really got to say, I didn't really believe you would be able to make it this perfect. I'm in awe. Kudos and a big thank you from me and my eyes.

I've already donated, but I think another round is in order for the visuals currently occupying my screen! THANK YOU!

They nail melee mechanics better than any game I've ever played. The game rewards patience and tactics and appropriate punishes rushing. It's unforgiving and relentless but if you focus and put just as much emphasis on defense as attack you'll rarely die. It oozes atmosphere, It has a huge variety of beautifully rendered equipment with tons of weapons that have completely different attack animations that change the way you approach combat.

Zzoram

They nail melee mechanics better than any game I've ever played. The game rewards patience and tactics and appropriate punishes rushing. It's unforgiving and relentless but if you focus and put just as much emphasis on defense as attack you'll rarely die. It oozes atmosphere, It has a huge variety of beautifully rendered equipment with tons of weapons that have completely different attack animations that change the way you approach combat.

Yep. Dark Souls has the best melee combat in a game, period.

IoCaster

DoF fix made the game much more enjoyable, even though Dark Souls is running 15 fps on my Nvidia laptop. Does anyone know of a solution to bring the fps to 30 that also allows me to save?

Optimus? Have you tried this?

Force Optimus to use Nvidia instead of integrated Intel graphics

1) Go to Nvidia Control Panel (Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> NVIDIA Control Panel)

2) Go to Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings

3) Add both executables (DarkSouls.exe and data.exe), and set the preferred graphics processor for both to Nvidia graphics instead of auto.

Top Bottom