• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Jtrizzy

I've been away from the thread since launch day, but I just updated to the newest fix. I have a GTX 580 and 2600k@4.2 any reccomendations on what values I should be using in the config file? Thanks.

Jeramii

Banned
I've been away from the thread since launch day, but I just updated to the newest fix. I have a GTX 580 and 2600k@4.2 any reccomendations on what values I should be using in the config file? Thanks.

i have a gtx570, and a 2500k. i was doing some super sampling.. about 4x 1080p. and it worked perfect until blighttown. then i ended up reverting back to 1080p. heres what i got though.

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080

# Depth of Field resolution override, possible values:
# 0 = no change from default (DoF pyramid starts at 512x360)
# 540 = DoF pyramid starts at 960x540
# 1080 = DoF pyramid starts at 1920x1080 (for high end systems)
# 2160 = DoF pyramid starts at 3840x2160 (if you have an utterly insane ultra high end PC)
# higher values will decrease performance
dofOverrideResolution 2160

# Depth of Field scaling override (NOT RECOMMENDED)
# 0 = DoF scaling enabled (default, recommended)
# 1 = DoF scaling disabled (sharper, worse performance, not as originally intended)
disableDofScaling 0

# texture filtering override
# 0 = no change
# 1 = enable supersampling by downscaling
# 2 = full AF override (may degrade performance, for high end systems only)
# if in doubt, leave this at 1
filteringOverride 2

# disable cursor at startup
# 0 = no change
# 1 = off at start
# you can still toggle the cursor with F9
disableCursor 1

# capture cursor (do not allow it to leave the window)
# 0 = don't capture
# 1 = capture
# (this also works if the cursor is not visible)
# toggle this with F10
captureCursor 0

# D3D adapter override
# -1 = no override
# N = use adapter N
# this setting is for multiple (non-SLI/crossfire) GPUs
# everyone else should leave it at -1
D3DAdapterOverride -1

# Log level - 0 to 11, higher numbers mean more logging
# only enable for debugging
logLevel 0

Actually I really like how it is all totally integrated into a singular experience. I know the leaderboards can PARTIALLY be found through looking at some of the books (like the Book of the Guilty). I find it refreshing that a game integrates those kind of components into a holistic experience.

It is kind of weird but it is also terrific. The way joining factions requires you to hunt down players who have broken covenants and the messaging system and the the way summoning phantoms/being invaded works is totally unlike any other experience and the game is better for those things.

But for academic purposes, I just want to use the leaderboards to see how many people are playing the game.

I agree with you in some of the aspects of online, as a matter of fact, the first time I got invaded was one of the most exciting times I have spent with a videogame ever, I had no idea what to expect and I didnt even know I could be invaded like that, i just saw this red glowing demon running my way and it was amazing.

What I fear is that most of the systems are just not used by all people, they are so obscure and poorly explained, my brother is not the type of gamer to read wikis/forums and even though he has invested like 18 hours in the game, he doesnt know a lot of the "basic" stuff about the game, for example how all the online stuff works, it doesnt help that he has shitty internet so he has never been summoned or invaded.

Durante

Using a dofOverrideResolution of 2160 with a rendering resolution of 1080p makes no sense at all. With a 570 I'd try rendering at 2560x1440 and use a DoF resolution of 540 or 1080p depending on taste.

Jeramii

Banned
Using a dofOverrideResolution of 2160 with a rendering resolution of 1080p makes no sense at all. With a 570 I'd try rendering at 2560x1440 and use a DoF resolution of 540 or 1080p depending on taste.

sweet. i'll fix that. i don't really know what i'm doing. i just know it looked good and worked good. i just tried to hurry and fix it while playing blight town. but i'm long past there now.

SOLDIER

Just got this the other day and applied the fix. Works great, but I have a few questions on how to get the most out of my setup.

I have a Geforce 5770.

1. I get small bits of framerate drop (real low) a couple of times for unknown reasons. Moving the camera around fixes it, but I've heard complaints/methods to fix this.

2. Also heard mention of applying SSAO for even greater results. Anyone know how to do this with an ATI card?

3. Is there a way to associate non-Steam screenshots with a Steam game? This is strictly a non-Steam GFWL copy that I'm running as a shortcut through Steam. I like to take screenshots, so I kind of hope I can associate them with the Dark Souls community page, if possible.

4. Does the AA Injector fix work?

5. Do any of the forced features on Radeon Pro work (AF, etc)?

Jeramii

Banned
Just got this the other day and applied the fix. Works great, but I have a few questions on how to get the most out of my setup.

3. Is there a way to associate non-Steam screenshots with a Steam game? This is strictly a non-Steam GFWL copy that I'm running as a shortcut through Steam. I like to take screenshots, so I kind of hope I can associate them with the Dark Souls community page, if possible.

as far as i've seen. as long as you have the steam overlay available (by running the game through steam), you can still do f12 screenshots that save to steam. i've got some nonsteam games i've taken screenshots in just fine. i've also got a friend who is frequently posting screenshots from dolphin which he runs through steam.

SOLDIER

You can register GFWL copies on Steam.

Not this one, it's a press key that specifically says is non-Steam. That's why I couldn't even play it until today because of Microsoft digital release regulations.

I can take screenshots just fine with F12, I was just wondering if there was a way to automatically associate them as "Dark Souls" screenshots so they show up on the community page.

Durante

I need some help from a native English speaker. In the interview I said this:
It certainly was more than I expected on the first day, but – just like game sales often do – it has slowed down extremely quickly after that (which I did expect). Today, four days after the first release, I received 25€ total in donations. Overall so far, roughly 0.15% of the people who downloaded the fix have donated
What I wanted to say with this was that on the fourth day I received 25€ in total, not that I received 25 in total since releasing the fix. Is that clear or should I ask them to clarify it? People (well, only 1 person so far, but still) are sending me emails on how they cannot believe I only got that little money, and I don't want to give them a wrong impression. As I say above, it has slowed down like game sales do, so on the 3rd day I got more than on the 4th, even more than that on the second and a nice chunk of money on the first.

I agree with you in some of the aspects of online, as a matter of fact, the first time I got invaded was one of the most exciting times I have spent with a videogame ever, I had no idea what to expect and I didnt even know I could be invaded like that, i just saw this red glowing demon running my way and it was amazing.

What I fear is that most of the systems are just not used by all people, they are so obscure and poorly explained, my brother is not the type of gamer to read wikis/forums and even though he has invested like 18 hours in the game, he doesnt know a lot of the "basic" stuff about the game, for example how all the online stuff works, it doesnt help that he has shitty internet so he has never been summoned or invaded.

I totally agree the game could use a better tutorial and better descriptions especially related to the online stuff.

zkylon

zkylewd

What I wanted to say with this was that on the fourth day I received 25€ in total, not that I received 25 in total since releasing the fix. Is that clear or should I ask them to clarify it? People are sending me emails on how they cannot believe I only got that little money, and I don't want to give them a wrong impression. As I say above, it has slowed down like game sales do, so on the 3rd day I got more than on the 4th, even more than that on the second and a nice chunk of money on the first.
Yeah, I had to read it twice to realize you meant you got 25 bucks on the fourth day alone. I just wouldn't believe people were such scumbags to donate that little lol.

What I wanted to say with this was that on the fourth day I received 25€ in total, not that I received 25 in total since releasing the fix. Is that clear or should I ask them to clarify it? People (well, only 1 person so far, but still) are sending me emails on how they cannot believe I only got that little money, and I don't want to give them a wrong impression. As I say above, it has slowed down like game sales do, so on the 3rd day I got more than on the 4th, even more than that on the second and a nice chunk of money on the first.

Yes, it does seem like you are saying you only got 25 during the whole 4 days

Edit: link to interview too please =)

It was a little unclear but I assumed when I read it, that you meant 25€ for the 4th day alone.

When I was reading it I understood you received 25€ on the fourth day inmediatly. Maybe it could have been said better, probably the "25€ total" in donations is the reason ppl is getting confused, but as I said, I understood correctly.

Jeramii

Banned
I'll ask Jim to clarify that. I really don't want people to feel obliged to donate because they got the wrong impression.

Honestly Durante,

I was going to donate regardless. But that did motivate me to donate sooner. I guess it would be a good thing to clarify. But the reason I posted how much I donated for neogaf to see was to help inspire people. Don't know how much it helps or not. But you're doing gods work here, and you deserve all the benefits that come with it.

The $15 I gave isn't much.. I was going to buy the game either way. But your love and effort made it just unbelievable from the start. I hope some of the many other people who are loving this mod as much as me (even though I haven't fully optimized it yet, as you can see above).

Anyway. Cheers.

Durante

Thanks for the impressions, I asked for the first paragraph of the "donations" answer to be replaced with this:
It certainly was more than I expected on the first day, but – just like game sales often do – it has slowed down extremely quickly after that (which I did expect). On the fourth day after the release I received 25€ in donations, which is much less than on the first and second days. Overall so far, roughly 0.15% of the people who downloaded the fix have donated.

I think that's clear.

I think the biggest question here is how does Durante still not have a tag =)

I'll donate as soon as I can, too...I got to own the game first ;)

I'll rewrite it a bit - up to you to decide if you like it or not.

The donations certainly were more than I expected, but just like game sales often do – the donations have slowed down extremely quickly after the first day(which I did expect).

On the fourth day after the release I received 25€ in donations, which is much less than on the first and second days.

Overall so far, roughly 0.15% of the people who downloaded the fix have donated.

This version (that I rewrote the first sentence, thats all) is a lot more clearer to me, at least.

Durante

Wow, the article was already updated. I'm impressed.

Edit:
In the interest of full disclosure, in the time since the article went up I got €66 in donations.
(Which is more than the 24 hours before that point)

SOLDIER

One more question: I'm using Game Companion to run the game on fullscreen windowed mode, but it won't auto-enable it. It says to put the exe name of the game in the .ini file, which I've done (it's DARKSOULS.exe, all caps right?). Is the program supposed to be in the same directory as the game?

Durante

One more question: I'm using Game Companion to run the game on fullscreen windowed mode, but it won't auto-enable it. It says to put the exe name of the game in the .ini file, which I've done (it's DARKSOULS.exe, all caps right?). Is the program supposed to be in the same directory as the game?
My tip: wait half an hour for 0.6 ;)

I'm already excited for the fullscreen windowed mode patch despite the fact I won't even be playing this game for a few more days thanks to Guild Wars 2.

So, I know this isn't much of a graphical hack as it is a plain old hack (and with the install being so encapsulated I'm not getting my hopes up) but is there any possible way to get rid of the company ads before the title screen? There is no way those 15 seconds are being used to load any component of the game and it's super annoying testing out all the different graphical settings when every single time I start up the game I have to sit through those damn company logos every time. (Yes I am extremely impatient)

Durante

I'm already excited for the fullscreen windowed mode patch despite the fact I won't even be playing this game for a few more days thanks to Guild Wars 2.

So, I know this isn't much of a graphical hack as it is a plain old hack (and with the install being so encapsulated I'm not getting my hopes up) but is there any possible way to get rid of the company ads before the title screen? There is no way those 15 seconds are being used to load any component of the game and it's super annoying testing out all the different graphical settings when every single time I start up the game I have to sit through those damn company logos every time. (Yes I am extremely impatient)
I'd like to do it, and it would be rather simple with a .exe modification, but that's a big nono with GFWL. It's much harder to do without changing the binary.

But trust me that no one is more annoyed by this than the guy who has surely restarted Dark Souls more often than anyone outside the dev team (at least 50 times just today).

SOLDIER

DATA.exe is what you need.

Thanks, that did it. First time I used this program, so I'm wondering if I should apply it to all of my other big games (Skyrim, Witcher 2, etc). It claims you get an increased performance in windowed versus fullscreen.

Speaking of which, is there a way to set an .exe to always run on High priority by default? That's another tip I read in order to get a smoother run out of Dark Souls. I'm still trying to eliminate those brief moments of low fps, though they seem to go away after about a minute or so.

And again, still wondering how people managed to apply SSAO.

BloodyBonzai

Neo Member
Thanks, that did it. First time I used this program, so I'm wondering if I should apply it to all of my other big games (Skyrim, Witcher 2, etc). It claims you get an increased performance in windowed versus fullscreen.

Speaking of which, is there a way to set an .exe to always run on High priority by default? That's another tip I read in order to get a smoother run out of Dark Souls. I'm still trying to eliminate those brief moments of low fps, though they seem to go away after about a minute or so.

And again, still wondering how people managed to apply SSAO.

Did you remove Durante's MOD from the game directory? Also, the difference that SSAO makes is difficult to notice, for me at least.

I'd like to do it, and it would be rather simple with a .exe modification, but that's a big nono with GFWL. It's much harder to do without changing the binary.

But trust me that no one is more annoyed by this than the guy who has surely restarted Dark Souls more often than anyone outside the dev team (at least 50 times just today).
Hahaha yeah, good to know! I probably wouldn't have ended up using the hack while connected to the Internet if it ended up being a modded .exe. I agree about it being ~bad juju~ but thanks for the explanation.

moop1167

So what's the consensus on forcing AA through inspector vs downsampling through DSfix? Forcing AA on top of the downsampling method makes the game blurry.

However doing them both separately they both look really good, but I can't really tell the difference.

Narag

Crap. These AMD card problems I keep hearing about are making me hesitant to buy the game again. What exactly should I expect? Not to mention I still haven't seen proof it'll run on a Q6600.

Runs fine for me on a Q6600. I'm using an Nvidia card though.

I can totally relate to that. Making mods for skyrim and constantly restarting it to test them out. Luckily its just a simple video file you can delete or rename and you don't have to deal with it anymore (talking about skyrim here).

I wish games would show you the splash or logos on the menu screen, or only show it to you once (when you first start the game).

Top Bottom