• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Andrea23

Edit: After extensive testing, this doesn't solve the problem. Frames are still dropped when there is GPU power to spare.

To disable Powerplay just edit the file "MSIAfterburner.cfg"
(located in the installation folder of the program), to the line that i have highlighted.

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2

0 = default
1 = old method to overclock ATI cards (now obsolete)
2 = powerplay disabled

Warning! Disable it only in exceptional circumstances, the card will heat much more and his life will be shortened!

Zimbardo

do you guys see many summon signs?

tonight i haven't seen 1 ...not friggin 1, in like 4 hours of play. i was roughly around soul level 60 and had to kill the 4 Kings by myself, had to play through the Painted World by myself, etc, etc.. i also tried getting summoned in the Forest with no luck at all.

something seemed kinda fucked up to say the least anyway. i know that when playing the PS3 version that summoning could be hit or miss at times, but i never saw anything this bad ...unless you actually played in offline mode, which this wasn't.

the only time i saw a good number of summon signs was when i first started playing on launch day. there were a ton of signs around Undead Parish, etc. ...you'd think by now people would have progressed.

dino1980

Went and took some pictures around the Undead Parish. Internal render at 2560x1440 downscaled to 1366x768, SSAO, DOF 810. Runs without a hitch on my 2500k @ 4.3 + 560Ti; can't wait til I have access to my 1920x1080 monitor tomorrow.

How does SSAO work? Does it put shadows for example at all the lower sides of a crate that is on the ground or also take into account where the lightsources are. So if there is a light infront of the crate it just darkens the lower sides right/left a bit and darker on the back side?

mash440

Neo Member
To disable Powerplay just edit the file "MSIAfterburner.cfg"
(located in the installation folder of the program), to the line that i have highlighted.

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2

0 = default
1 = old method to overclock ATI cards (now obsolete)
2 = powerplay disabled

Warning! Disable it only in exceptional circumstances, the card will heat much more and his life will be shortened!

I've tryed this, and it has had no effect.

I've also just uninstalled all my AMD drivers and re-installed from scratch. Increasing the AF and AA in CCC does help, but the problem still rears its head after about 10 minutes of playing.

Andrea23

I've tryed this, and it has had no effect.

Have you tryed to restart Afterburner BEFORE launch the game?

In fact, to see if the powerplay is disabled, just analize the hardware monitor, even when you're on your desktop. If the frequencies are already at full speed, this means that the powerplay is off; otherwise you have done something wrong ^^.

mash440

Neo Member
Have you tryed to restart Afterburner BEFORE launch the game?

In fact, to see if the powerplay is disabled, just analize the hardware monitor, even when you're on your desktop. If the frequencies are already at full speed, this means that the powerplay is off; otherwise you have done something wrong ^^.

KT2x3.png

That peak in GPU usage is when FurMark starts. It remains constant 810 throughout.

mr_nothin

Banned
Went and took some pictures around the Undead Parish. Internal render at 2560x1440 downscaled to 1366x768, SSAO, DOF 810. Runs without a hitch on my 2500k @ 4.3 + 560Ti; can't wait til I have access to my 1920x1080 monitor tomorrow.

You dont have SSAO or AA if you're downscaling by using dsfix.ini

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Performance is a bit all over the place, for example when that bridge-dragon spews fire the framerate immediately goes to 15. Then again cpu-usage is low and gpu-usage never goes above a certain % depending on the setting.

1-D_FTW

You guys think its a good idea to set Steam to "not automatically update this game" in the game's options? I wouldn't want an update to break Durante's work. Thoughts?

Depends where the update is. If it occurs through GFWL, maybe you can get away without updating. If it's done through the Steam client, you can change that setting, but you're not allowed to actually launch a game unless it's been updated. So it won't work for what you want.

Seems unlikely there will be a patch, considering the initial effort put in.

And considering the hackneyed way they converted the frame buffer, maybe they wouldn't even know how to break it even if they wanted too.

Zeliard

Are people getting rid of the DOF? How come? :(

I thought it made Dark Souls look unique, especially in Darkroot.

I think it depends. In some places like Darkroot a blurrier DoF is nice because it gives it a sort of hazy dream-like quality that fits in well. But I think a sharper DoF of around 1080 looks pretty good in castle areas like Sen's and Anor Lando.

Performance is a bit all over the place, for example when that bridge-dragon spews fire the framerate immediately goes to 15. Then again cpu-usage is low and gpu-usage never goes above a certain % depending on the setting.

Good to know its not just me, his fire kills my fps too. The closer you are to it the more it lasts

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Good to know its not just me, his fire kills my fps too. The closer you are to it the more it lasts

Cheers, same goes for me then - that is I'm glad I'm not the only one. Playing at 5120x2880 or 3840x2160 doesn't seem to change general performance, the drops from things like that seem to remain regardless.

Andrea23

KT2x3.png

That peak in GPU usage is when FurMark starts. It remains constant 810 throughout.

Ok.
What happens if you close Furmark, when the load on the gpu is equal to ~0 (assuming that you have UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2 and also restarted AB, as i said above)?

mash440

Neo Member
Ok.
What happens if you close Furmark, when the load on the gpu is equal to ~0 (assuming that you have UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2 and also restarted AB, as i said above)?

The clock still stays at 810. It keeps it's full clock all the time no matter what I do. The UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2 flag is working, it's just not helping with what causes the problem.

Mupod

GFWL and 30fps aside at least it's stable. Only bug I've even encountered was seeing an empty lifebar for 'Dark Sun Gwyndolin' randomly show up while I was poking around the Duke's Archives, and I have no idea if that's PC-specific.

Andrea23

The clock still stays at 810. It keeps it's full clock all the time no matter what I do. The UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2 flag is working, it's just not helping with what causes the problem.

Uh, ok. I understand, i guess/fear that only Amd can do something... via driver : S.

/believe

Cheeto

Could someone that has this working play past Undead Parish and take some screens. It takes like minutes :|

There is a screenshot on my steam profile of Blighttown... I can't pull up the exact link because I'm at work, but I believe my steam community url is steamcommunity.com/id/cheeto

moop1167

So what do you guys think gives the best visuals? I have been running 2560x1600 on my 1920x1200 monitor which looks good. I could pump that up a bit too. However, when I force MSAA it feels like the image becomes less sharp. Does it seem like that for everyone? I can't tell if it is better to just do downsampling on its own.

Should I be lowering the res to my native for forcing AA? I even tried SGSSAA and it looked better and less blurry than doing it on top of downsampling.

I guess I am just trying to figure out what will give the best IQ since my machine runs it flawlessly.

mr_nothin

Banned
So what do you guys think gives the best visuals? I have been running 2560x1600 on my 1920x1200 monitor which looks good. I could pump that up a bit too. However, when I force MSAA it feels like the image becomes less sharp. Does it seem like that for everyone? I can't tell if it is better to just do downsampling on its own.

Should I be lowering the res to my native for forcing AA? I even tried SGSSAA and it looked better and less blurry than doing it on top of downsampling.

I guess I am just trying to figure out what will give the best IQ since my machine runs it flawlessly.

Set your res to native and use downsampling/supersampling + msaa using Nvidia Inspector
6KKit.jpg

just WHY. :|

Turn off the in-game AA lol
Is there a value between 540 & 1080 DOF that works all the time?

810 is working for me so far

Gwanatu T

Many many PC games release with tons of bugs and build instability.

If you give me the choice of a game with a lot less options but very few bugs and higher stability, I'd chose it every time. I'm frankly not sure why PC gamers generally prefer the opposite. It's like if they get shiny textures and lots of sliders to adjust to show off their rig, they are way more forgiving if the fucking game is broken. That seems completely backwards to me. That stuff is the bonus not the most important material.

Are you saying that supporting native rendering resolutions on a PC is NOT a standard feature? I don't think I've ever played a game on the PC in my entire life that forces a lower rendering resolution than the display resolution. This is classic console trash, and it's one of the biggest reasons I am a PC-only gamer anymore. When you have a 60" 1080p TV, everything under 1080p looks like someone smeared Vaseline on the screen, and unfortunately nearly everything on the PS/360 runs under 720p. I had already pre-ordered the game before I found out about the internal rendering fixing, and honestly I would have played something else until that got fixed. It's unacceptable and it has nothing to do with being a "graphics whore" or anything of the sort, it simply has to do with standards.

Unbelievable. I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm pretty sure in bold letters his blog says READ THE READ ME FILE next to the download link, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to drive it home even further.

People should read it, but t wold save him some headaches just to tell them to turn off AA upfront.

MGrant

You dont have SSAO or AA if you're downscaling by using dsfix.ini

I didn't have AA enabled in those shots, but I do now (4x MSAA) and it looks even better, still downscaled from 1440p (really loving the transparency AA on the foliage and grass). As far as the SSAO goes, I'm not sure if it took hold or not, but the shadows look the same downscaled as they do at native res. I'll try it out again tonight after work in 1080p.

RedSwirl

Crap. These AMD card problems I keep hearing about are making me hesitant to buy the game again. What exactly should I expect? Not to mention I still haven't seen proof it'll run on a Q6600.

Crap. These AMD card problems I keep hearing about are making me hesitant to buy the game again. What exactly should I expect? Not to mention I still haven't seen proof it'll run on a Q6600.

The game will run fine, you just wont be able to get Ambient Occlusion (which kills FPS anyway unless you have a beastly GFX) and you will have to create a profile in your Control panel to force High Performance.

Not a big deal really, i have played the game for 20 hours with 0 problems on a 7970.

Top Bottom