• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

2AdEPT

So apparently a 670 can't handle this game at 5120X2880 with max DOF resolution. It looked pretty, but ran like a console game when outdoors. Jumped up to 30 again when I went inside.

my 680 lightning didn't help that high rez plus high DOF (2880) setting out on mine.....looked crappy and less smooth when fighting, spinning camera etc. I probably don't have the proper settings for my card tweaked right, neither on afterburner, nor in the NV control panel, but my game looks and plays just fine with the values at 5120X2880.... but the DOF looks better turned down to 1080 I think. I think I have a pretty high end system so if anyone is able to help me out with their high end settings it would be appreciated.....over spent on a $2000 rig and don't even know how to use it! But will appreciate learning fast!

ivy i7 3k
msi lightning 680 gtx
ssd 120GB
8mb ram
^^^^^this should be good enough to deal with high settings but not ultra high right? I haven't tried to overclock or anything yet, but i do wish to learn how.

scitek

It's easy to say fix it -- these guys haven't done a retail PC product before. They added new content, which is great, going back and trying to fix various problems caused by a resolution increase that otherwise don't exist doesn't sound trivial. And what if that broke the other fur effects in the game? Or caused other problems.

$40 is not your normal price point of $60, so we did save some cash -- also got some added DLC to tack on to that potential Greatest Hits price point edging it closer to $40 if it were GH.

You are right, no one demanded this now other than Namco. But if it weren't for penny pinchers and analysts within a company choosing the time and money to allocate to projects we may never get their IP's. Maybe they tried other resolutions and discovered the amount of work that would go in to fix everything would theoretically take longer than the budget allowed for? I'm not trying to be an appologist, I just know that it's acceptable as it launched. It's better than the Darksiders 2 port, at least we've got AA and Motion Blur options within the game and it doesn't feel like they did a shit job at porting it since the textures all work as intended.

lol

Is there any alternative to D3DOverrider for triple buffering in DirectX with Nvidia?

TheD

The Detective
If Sif's fur is broken at higher resolutions, fix it. If there are other resolution related issues fix them. This is a product that they are selling for $40. Why is it acceptable to put so little effort into the port? $40 isn't bargain basement pricing. No one demanded that the port be released by August except Namco. No one set the budget for the port except Namco and no one allocated the resources for the port except for Namco.

+1

If they charge money, it should be up to PC standards.

I hate seeing people defend from soft by saying "they are not a PC dev" when the problems the PC version have are something any programmer should be able to fix.

Rendering resolution is not some strange PC exclusive feature.
The rendering API interface would have had to be touched by the programmers anyway to get the game to run on PC (if they did not know how to program the output res for DX9 we would not have got anything on the screen at all!).

If they did not know how to do this (and change the DOF) then they would not have had the skill set to port the game at all!

It's easy to say fix it -- these guys haven't done a retail PC product before. They added new content, which is great, going back and trying to fix various problems caused by a resolution increase that otherwise don't exist doesn't sound trivial. And what if that broke the other fur effects in the game? Or caused other problems.

$40 is not your normal price point of $60, so we did save some cash -- also got some added DLC to tack on to that potential Greatest Hits price point edging it closer to $40 if it were GH.

You are right, no one demanded this now other than Namco. But if it weren't for penny pinchers and analysts within a company choosing the time and money to allocate to projects we may never get their IP's. Maybe they tried other resolutions and discovered the amount of work that would go in to fix everything would theoretically take longer than the budget allowed for? I'm not trying to be an appologist, I just know that it's acceptable as it launched. It's better than the Darksiders 2 port, at least we've got AA and Motion Blur options within the game and it doesn't feel like they did a shit job at porting it since the textures all work as intended.

I think people get so caught up on the resolution and frame rate lock that they ignore the fact that there aren't an ass load of bugs. It just simply isn't optimized with lots of high end features. That seems a lot better than the reverse: a game that has lots of bells and whistles but is buggy as hell on release and that kind of thing happens often on PC and is even sometimes accepted as a given. Meanwhile this port, for most people, seems to run pretty good even if it is vanilla.

Let me put it another way:

Dark Souls is a stable port of an extraordinary game with bad PC optimization.

Sleeping Dogs is an extraordinary port of a good game with excellent PC optimization.

Frankly, owning both I still think Dark Souls is the better buy because at the end of the day it is the game itself that matters. Dark Souls may look ace but frankly it seems to run pretty damn solid for most people. Don't misunderstand, I'm sure as hell glad this mod exists. I won't pretend it doesn't improve my enjoyment of the game ten fold. I am also not making excuses for their baffling decision to lock the resolution (especially given the quality of a lot of the texture work). It is just that this game is fucking awesome and that's what it all boils down to. Even if it was locked with console resolutions and frame rate it would still be fucking awesome. Thankfully we don't have to settle for that, though. Instead thanks to Durante we have the definitive Dark Souls experience.

For those of you that can't get SSAO/other inspector settings to work (I can't either, on a 670 with 304.79 drivers), do you have multiple screens? I don't know why that would possibly be an issue, but my second screen gets all funky tabbing in and out of Dark Souls, so just looking for a common denominator here =P

+1

If they charge money, it should be up to PC standards.

I hate seeing people defend from soft by saying "they are not a PC dev" when the problems the PC version have are something any programmer should be able to fix.

Rendering resolution is not some strange PC exclusive feature.
The rendering API interface would have had to be touched by the programmers anyway to get the game to run on PC (if they did not know how to program the output res for DX9 we would not have got anything on the screen at all!).

If they did not know how to do this (and change the DOF) then they would not have had the skill set to port the game at all!

Many many PC games release with tons of bugs and build instability.

If you give me the choice of a game with a lot less options but very few bugs and higher stability, I'd chose it every time. I'm frankly not sure why PC gamers generally prefer the opposite. It's like if they get shiny textures and lots of sliders to adjust to show off their rig, they are way more forgiving if the fucking game is broken. That seems completely backwards to me. That stuff is the bonus not the most important material.

Seems unlikely there will be a patch, considering the initial effort put in.

However if there was a patch it would be mandatory thanks to GFWL. GWFL and Xbox Live won't let you play games until you update them. So it's probably not a good idea to diable updates.

In this case, I just kind of hope they leave it the fuck alone and let modders take it from here.

I'm just going to resist the urge to continue debating the quality of this port and drop it. I've said my piece about it and it's pointless to repeat myself, especially considering things worked out in the end with this mod.

D3RANG3D

If you give me the choice of a game with a lot less options but very few bugs and higher stability, I'd chose it every time. I'm frankly not sure why PC gamers generally prefer the opposite. It's like if they get shiny textures and lots of sliders to adjust to show off their rig, they are way more forgiving if the fucking game is broken. That seems completely backwards to me. That stuff is the bonus not the most important material.

Standard features are bonuses now wow...

TheD

The Detective

The DSfix does not make the game buggy!

Them programming in a changeable rendering res would not have made the game buggy!

Get over it!

chiablo

I'm just going to resist the urge to continue debating the quality of this port and drop it. I've said my piece about it and it's pointless to repeat myself, especially considering things worked out in the end with this mod.

Appreciate what you have, because the alternative is much worse than what we have now.

No comment, but you know they're relieved.

Durante's mod alone has no doubt been the cause behind a lot of purchases.

Well I feel a "No comment" is a bit of a missed opportunity for some positive PR spin.

They could of made something up, like they wanted to give the PC community the game as soon as possible and they are heartened by the positive response from the enthusiast PC gamers (of course not mentioning it was only positive after the mod).

Whereas a "No comment" smacks of, if we ignore them maybe they'll just go away.

The DSfix does not make the game buggy!

Them programming in a changeable rendering res would not have made the game buggy!

Get over it!

I never said it would nor am I apologizing for their baffling decision to release it with a resolution lock. My only point is that the resolution and frame rate lock have kind of made people overlook some of the good features of this port: mainly the stability and general lack of bugs.

Erethian

This is one of the many fallacies of PC gaming, up there with how only the five richest kings of Europe can afford a high quality gaming desktop.

In the end it doesn't matter whose fault it is, Namco or From, at the end of the day there are certain expectations for a PC release in 2012 that the port woefully failed to meet. And Durante's fix shouldn't absolve them of that, nor should the underlying quality of the core gameplay.

They certainly haven't done themselves any favours if they plan to release a PC version of a future Dark Souls game.

scitek

I think people get so caught up on the resolution and frame rate lock that they ignore the fact that there aren't an ass load of bugs. It just simply isn't optimized with lots of high end features. That seems a lot better than the reverse: a game that has lots of bells and whistles but is buggy as hell on release and that kind of thing happens often on PC and is even sometimes accepted as a given. Meanwhile this port, for most people, seems to run pretty good even if it is vanilla.

Sleeping Dogs is an extraordinary port of a good game with excellent PC optimization.

Frankly, owning both I still think Dark Souls is the better buy because at the end of the day it is the game itself that matters.
Dark Souls may look ace but frankly it seems to run pretty damn solid for most people. Don't misunderstand, I'm sure as hell glad this mod exists. I won't pretend it doesn't improve my enjoyment of the game ten fold. I am also not making excuses for their baffling decision to lock the resolution (especially given the quality of a lot of the texture work). It is just that this game is fucking awesome and that's what it all boils down to. Even if it was locked with console resolutions and frame rate it would still be fucking awesome. Thankfully we don't have to settle for that, though. Instead thanks to Durante we have the definitive Dark Souls experience.

I would recommend Sleeping Dogs on PC 10 times out of 10 over Dark Souls without hesitation.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Not a binary choice, bro.

The vast, VAST majority of game developers who put games out on PC can handle this stuff just fine, from 1-man indie teams to giant publishing houses. You can random select a game in your Steam account, and the chances are damned good that you won't run into this kind of nonsense.

Stop making excuses.

scitek

It's a shit port and really doesn't deserve anyone's money, and the game's as niche as a game can get without being text-based. I like it, but very few people I know would have the patience for it. And Sleeping Dogs is a pretty good game in its own right, so quit pretending otherwise.

For all the praise Sleeping Dogs' PC version got, I still can't finish the game because it crashes every 10 minutes.

Dark Souls hasn't crashed once.

(But that's not really your point, I know.)

It's crashed once on me, and that was when I was downsampling from 3200x1600 with AA set to Extreme.

It's a shit port and really doesn't deserve anyone's money, and the game's as niche as a game can get without being text-based. I like it, but very few people I know would have the patience for it.

Your opinion is fine with me, but my opinion is that no matter how 'no-frills' the port is... it's 100x the game that Sleeping Dogs is...and it deserves everyones money for being the great game it is.

Your opinion is fine with me, but my opinion is that no matter how 'no-frills' the port is... it's 100x the game that Sleeping Dogs is...and it deserves everyones money for being the great game it is.

I dont know about "100x's" but I think Dark Souls is incredibly special, the kind of game that comes along once a generation. It is a game that literally changed the way I look at and play videogames.

I have played about 15 hours of Sleeping Dogs. Its very fun and well made GTA game. I really like the martial arts combat and the addition of ramming makes the car chase segments alot more fun. But it is ceraintly not even close to the same category for me as Drk Asouls. It is simply a well made GTA styke game with good combat.

Zeliard

Few games can match Dark Souls from a gameplay and atmospheric standpoint, and Sleeping Dogs ain't one of them. Sleeping Dogs is an enjoyable game; Dark Souls & Demon's Souls are strong contenders in the pantheon of all-time classics.

I dont know about "100x's" but I think Dark Souls is incredibly special, the kind of game that comes along once a generation. It is a game that literally changed the way I look at and play videogames.

I have played about 15 hours of Sleeping Dogs. Its very fun and well made GTA game. I really like the martial arts combat and the addition of ramming makes the car chase segments alot more fun. But it is ceraintly not even close to the same category for me as Drk Asouls. It is simply a well made GTA styke game with good combat.

Well, personally I like Demon's Souls more so I guess 2 times a generation :p

Indeed though. Very special.

My post is also not to take away from Sleeping Dogs which is a good game in it's own right, let's just be clear! :)

scitek

Few games can match Dark Souls from a gameplay and atmospheric standpoint, and Sleeping Dogs ain't one of them. Sleeping Dogs is an enjoyable game; Dark Souls & Demon's Souls are strong contenders in the pantheon of all-time classics.

I've yet to think this.

Grief.exe

Frankly, owning both I still think Dark Souls is the better buy because at the end of the day it is the game itself that matters. Dark Souls may look ace but frankly it seems to run pretty damn solid for most people. Don't misunderstand, I'm sure as hell glad this mod exists. I won't pretend it doesn't improve my enjoyment of the game ten fold. I am also not making excuses for their baffling decision to lock the resolution (especially given the quality of a lot of the texture work). It is just that this game is fucking awesome and that's what it all boils down to. Even if it was locked with console resolutions and frame rate it would still be fucking awesome. Thankfully we don't have to settle for that, though. Instead thanks to Durante we have the definitive Dark Souls experience.

This is actually how I see it as well. The game doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that we come to expect somewhat, but it does run fairly well and I have only crashed once in 30+ hours of playing (and that might not even be attributed to the game).

I run a fairly high end set up, 2500k + 560 ti SLI (only uses one currently), but I only use about 20-30% GPU at 1440p downsampling with AF and have barely seen frame dips. I actually didn't see any in the dreaded Blighttown, which I actually love.

Durante really pulled From's ass out of the fire though, this game would not have been as well received if it looked as it did on release, myself included.

It's a shit port and really doesn't deserve anyone's money, and the game's as niche as a game can get without being text-based. I like it, but very few people I know would have the patience for it. And Sleeping Dogs is a pretty good game in its own right, so quit pretending otherwise.

You're right, Dark Souls is a very niche game. You aren't going to find the typical casual audience or mainstream players picking this game up.

People are lazy, most don't want to do things that are difficult, take extreme skill, and practice,. Dark Souls is all 3 and more, there are a lot of people out there that wouldn't like that. Dark Souls also takes a lot of rational thought and the ability to solve problems very quickly, there are a lot of situations where the game requires you to make quick decisions or pull something correctly or you will fail.

IoCaster

Also, it's been theorized that From software did not have much (if any) experience in PC development and had a limited budget (both time and money) for this release. I doubt they had anyone on staff as qualified as Durante when it comes to Dx9 renderer optimization.

I really have a difficult time buying into this whole "Oh, woe is me", defense of From Software based on inexperience with PC development. They were able to figure out the complexity of the PS3 Cell architecture to develop both Souls games. They were able to do a credible job on the X360 version as well. They don't strike me as a bunch of incompetent boobs. Why this port is such a seemingly low effort hatchet job is mystifying to me. The simplest explanation is that they just didn't give a shit and simply cobbled together something that would pass muster with the publisher and shipped it. *shrug*

antitrop

I really have a difficult time buying into this whole "Oh, woe is me", defense of From Software based on inexperience with PC development. They were able to figure out the complexity of the PS3 Cell architecture to develop both Souls games. They were able to do a credible job on the X360 version as well. They don't strike me as a bunch of incompetent boobs. Why this port is such a seemingly low effort hatchet job is mystifying to me. The simplest explanation is that they just didn't give a shit and simply cobbled together something that would pass muster with the publisher and shipped it. *shrug*
From Software passed off the PC port of Ninja Blade to a 3rd party developer (ND Games, wasn't it?), which clearly indicates they didn't give even the smallest amount possible of a fuck for Dark Souls: PTD.

I thought Namco were the ones responsible for porting it to 360.

JVIDICAN

Tried the posted Nvidia inspector settings for SSAO. Looks like its working, but now my 360pad doesn't seem to work. lol. The game recognizes that a controller is being used and shows the correct button icons, but no response as far as actually pressing buttons.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I've yet to think this.

Sleeping Dogs is a decent game, from a non-technical skill-based experience standpoint, which I usually don't get into. But Dark Souls as a game, is clearly the better game, regardless of the technical mastery or quality of port. After logging over 15 hours into SD, I can't tell you one area where it beats DS, other than port quality. Then again I 'm a person who often looks past bad or shoddy ports and I either like the game or I don't.

But anyway, I'm in agreement with Eternal, I'm amazed at how stable they got this out the door in a very short time. From was obviously given a static date with the only mandate being...add the DLC and deliver a stable port across many configs. And that's exactly what we got, and were told pre-release when everybody wanted to wish up a "mistranslation".

scitek

Sleeping Dogs is a decent game, from a non-technical skill-based experience standpoint, which I usually don't get into. But Dark Souls as a game, is clearly the better game, regardless of the technical mastery or quality of port. After logging over 15 hours into SD, I can't tell you one area where it beats DS, other than port quality. Then again I 'm a person who often looks past bad or shoddy ports and I either like the game or I don't.

But anyway, I'm in agreement with Eternal, I'm amazed at how stable they got this out the door in a very short time. From was obviously given a static date with the only mandate being...add the DLC and deliver a stable port across many configs. And that's exactly what we got, and were told pre-release when everybody wanted to wish up a "mistranslation".

I'm not comparing Sleeping Dogs just as a game versus Dark Souls just as a game. I'm comparing one $50 product versus a $40 product. If a friend were to ask me which one to buy now, and which to wait on, I'd tell him Sleeping Dogs is worth its asking price moreso than Dark Souls. I like Dark Souls, but I don't think I'll ever consider it a classic or anything of the sort. And it's not because it's not my type of game or anything, it's just not striking me the same way it has some of you.

Tried the posted Nvidia inspector settings for SSAO. Looks like its working, but now my 360pad doesn't seem to work. lol. The game recognizes that a controller is being used and shows the correct button icons, but no response as far as actually pressing buttons.

The game shows Xbox controller icons even if you're just playing with mouse and keyboard.

MGrant

Went and took some pictures around the Undead Parish. Internal render at 2560x1440 downscaled to 1366x768, SSAO, DOF 810. Runs without a hitch on my 2500k @ 4.3 + 560Ti; can't wait til I have access to my 1920x1080 monitor tomorrow.

I want to believe this but when you think about they still ported the whole game to Windows, locked framebuffer or not, they must have had a capable team.

I know moving stuff from 360 to windows is easier than from PS3 to PC but that doesnt mean that all it took was to recompile the game, im sure they had to jump through tons of hurdles.

Im sure that once they told Namco how long QAing all resolutions would take, they just ordered them not to.

Best part: if you program something to be LOCKED at SOME resolution you could do the same to LOCK it to a higher one. Or unlock it altogheter. It's just a friggin setting with 2 values. It's an API setting even! You don't have to do SHIT to change it. Moreover: you have to do MORE work if you want to LOCK it.

It's mind-boggling FROM decided to lock it.

They did not have time nor money to test. That's it. They know how to do it. Every DX/ OpenGL programmer knows. They did not want to.

I'd tell him Sleeping Dogs is worth its asking price moreso than Dark Souls. I like Dark Souls, but I don't think I'll ever consider it a classic or anything of the sort.

hey i love sleeping dogs, but if either of these two are a "classic" of gaming, it's dark.

iNvid02

I'm not comparing Sleeping Dogs just as a game versus Dark Souls just as a game. I'm comparing one $50 product versus a $40 product. If a friend were to ask me which one to buy now, and which to wait on, I'd tell him Sleeping Dogs is worth its asking price moreso than Dark Souls. I like Dark Souls, but I don't think I'll ever consider it a classic or anything of the sort. And it's not because it's not my type of game or anything, it's just not striking me the same way it has some of you.

im not so sure, i am playing both right now and am enjoying them immensely. but i've done a lot of the side stuff and main missions for SD, plus spent a while messing around in the world and after 22 hours or so i think im done - at least until some beefy DLC comes out.

im 18hrs into DS and dont think im gonna be near completion anytime soon, not to mention that i will probably play again with a new character.

for $40 i think DS holds a lot more value, potentially 40-50hrs of gameplay. SD is a great game and a fav new IP and i hope it does well, but it would be my choice if i had to wait and pick either one later down the road

IoCaster

I thought Namco were the ones responsible for porting it to 360.

You may well be right. I'll have to look around and see if I can find some info on that. Can you link me to an article or something cause I'm interested in reading about the history of the franchise.

You may well be right. I'll have to look around and see if I can find some info on that. Can you link me to an article or something cause I'm interested in reading about the history of the franchise.
I actually looked around for an article before posting, but since using the word "port" (and all its variations) brings up the PC version now... finding it was a little hard because my search skills suck.

Top Bottom