• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

I think, provided I understood correctly, that zephervack said the opposite.

Which is why I posted. I'm not sure they understood you're not on a 16:9 display. The game will accept a non-16:9 rendering resolution (and that's exactly what it's doing without DSFix, rendering an image taller than it is wide to cut down on rendering time) but then, as I understand it, it just gets stretched or shrunken more in one dimension to match the display surface, which is always 16:9. Unless...

Actually you can make the game run in different ratios with Flawless Widescreen, but it causes the HUD to stretch a little.

Im playing at 48:10 right now, and other than the HUD, the game is perfect.

Im not sure how the game will behave in a 4:3 screen though, worth a try.

https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org

In which dimension does the FOV lock though? If you do this and the visuals aren't stretched, you're either screwing yourself with a smaller FOV, or cheating with a larger FOV.

Which is why I posted. I'm not sure they understood you're not on a 16:9 display. The game will accept a non-16:9 rendering resolution (and that's exactly what it's doing without DSFix, rendering an image taller than it is wide) but then it just gets stretched or shrunken more in one dimension to match the display surface.

In which dimension does the FOV lock though? If you do this and the visuals aren't stretched, you're either screwing yourself with a smaller FOV, or cheating with a larger FOV.

Not sure, I havent tested anything beyond 16:10 and 48:10

At 48:10, you can see a lot on the sides, but I dont think its cheating, though im sure some people will debate me on that.

Unless you are looking through walls I dont see how this is cheating.

ICkKi.jpg

Its funny because right at the beginning of the 2000's we were having the same discussions about 16:9 and 16:10 being cheating, actually DICE used this defense to justify not including widescreen support in BF2.

Zeliard

FlawlessWidescreen lowers the FOV in 16:10, cutting into screen space. It isn't as bad as stretching but isn't particularly ideal.

Zeliard

I can see the purist argument on how a large FoV is cheating, but if I had a triple monitor setup I'd also want to use it!

Yeah triple screen gaming with Dark Souls in particular seems pretty - what's the word - fucking awesome? I'm jelly. It must be particularly beautiful with the HUD off.

I can see the purist argument on how a large FoV is cheating, but if I had a triple monitor setup I'd also want to use it!

Your fix in conjunction with your fix works amazingly well in triple screens, already clocked around 10 hours with them.

Currently playing at 8640 * 1800

So 1.5x 5760 * 1200, works fine, other than furry enemies and fire.

Shiden

Banned
Durante
The Untagged One

Yep. Really awkward. Maybe if he posted something outrageous with the next patch update.

Press F1 to engage drunk mode- adds more difficulty by simulating intoxication with wobbly vision and making your character vomit on the enemy!

ronny_1

Neo Member
Ok so I have a 470GTX and im using the 0.6 DS fix, everything is going at 30 fps but when i reach Blight Town and point in a specific spot the fps drops to 15 when I turn the camera out of the spot again 30 rock solid fps

On the other hand when I supersample (3140x2160) the game runs fine (30fps) until I watch some water and drops to 15 fps.

So I think is a specific effect or something that drops the performance.

PD My graphic card is at 42% of load

PD2: Sorry for my poor english XD

Durante

Whew.

I just corrupted my save game (my own fault, feature in testing crashed the game), but was luckily able to restore it from the Windows "Previous Versions" feature. But it was a bad scare.

I'll implement a save backup system into the fix now before anything else.

zkylon

zkylewd
Whew.

I just corrupted my save game (my own fault, feature in testing crashed the game), but was luckily able to restore it from the Windows "Previous Versions" feature. But it was a bad scare.

That'd be awesome, but you can easily use GameSaveManager if you're in dire need of something like that :)

And thankfully your saves are ok. I'd be slashing wrists if that happened to mine...

ImRight

At 48:10, you can see a lot on the sides, but I dont think its cheating, though im sure some people will debate me on that.

Its funny because right at the beginning of the 2000's we were having the same discussions about 16:9 and 16:10 being cheating, actually DICE used this defense to justify not including widescreen support in BF2.

Oh Wow I'm super Jelly!

Grief.exe

Whew.

Oh that's awesome.

Probably most requested features would be FOV fix and UI scaling. The UI would look so amazing if it was about 50-70% smaller

rumsey

I just got this game and I am having major major performance issues with it.

If I try to use DSfix and run the game at anything higher than its native internal resolution, I get INSANSELY low FPS.

Even if I don't use DSfix at all, disable AA and Motion Blur I still get pretty bad FPS. At the point I'm at now, close to the start, its staying between 10-15 fps.

I am running it on a fairly old system at this point, but it still runs virtually all modern games (besides this one) at smooth FPS rates. 2.4ghz core 2 duo, dual 8800GTS 640mb SLI, 4gb RAM.

The strange thing with this game is almost ALL modern games in the last 2 years have been CPU limited on my PC, always capped at 100%, whereas this one stays between 50-65%. Even stranger, GPU-Z shows that my video card never reaches a load of higher than 15-20% which is far below average with all the other games I tested (Batman:AC, Crysis, Crysis:WH, ME:3, LoL, Alan Wake, Skyrim, and more).

So the game is using hardly any of my PC's resources and can only muster 30 fps in about 10% of the places I've seen in my short time with the game. Something is very very wrong here.

The Hermit

Holy shit!

Well, I did all that and while it seems to have AO, my FPS is shit. I doubt its my system ( GTX 670, 8 GB RAM, i5 2500k) what could it be?

I am running it on a fairly old system at this point, but it still runs virtually all modern games (besides this one) at smooth FPS rates. 2.4ghz core 2 duo, dual 8800GTS 640mb SLI, 4gb RAM.

Game doesn't like SLI/CF, which puts you at minimal requirement.

The Hermit

What are all your settings in the dsfix ini? That could help us figure out the issue.

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1200

# Depth of Field resolution override, possible values:
# 0 = no change from default (DoF pyramid starts at 512x360)
# 540 = DoF pyramid starts at 960x540
# 1080 = DoF pyramid starts at 1920x1080 (for high end systems)
# 2160 = DoF pyramid starts at 3840x2160 (if you have an utterly insane ultra high end PC)
# higher values will decrease performance
dofOverrideResolution 800

# Depth of Field scaling override (NOT RECOMMENDED)
# 0 = DoF scaling enabled (default, recommended)
# 1 = DoF scaling disabled (sharper, worse performance, not as originally intended)
disableDofScaling 0

# texture filtering override
# 0 = no change
# 1 = enable supersampling by downscaling
# 2 = full AF override (may degrade performance, for high end systems only)
# if in doubt, leave this at 1
filteringOverride 2

the rest is default

Monitor is 16:10.

Also, can I turn blur on in the DS options or will that screw things up like AA?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
the rest is default

Also, can I turn blur on in the DS options or will that screw things up like AA?

Hmmph. Mind posting your Nvidia Inspector settings? for your computer set up, those dsfix settings seem like you should be running smooth as silk.

ImRight

the rest is default

Hmm, shouldn't your Dof Override res be one of the listed options? i would set that to one of them first and see what happens?

Or did i miss someone explaining you can set dof to whatever you want?

ImRight

It doesn't help much to explain why the game only wants to use ~35% of my PC resources.

I have everything set to max in CCC running at 2560 X 1440 @ 1080 Dof and it only uses 40-45% on my system

(running 7970 though)

(Hmmm Sorry for Double post)

pa22word

While I know it sounds like an impossibility, what exactly kind of effort would it take to go into the game's files and retime all the animations to a 2x value so they'd sync with 60 FPS? Or would that be even more difficult than re-timing the animations in time instead of in frames? Or are both impossible?

Please note I do not expect (nor anticipate) a fix ever being made, but I am morbidly curious as to the way they timed the game's animations and such by the framerate, and I find any information on the subject oddly fascinating.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The tag has to be in broken English

YOU TAGGED

While I know it sounds like an impossibility, what exactly kind of effort would it take to go into the game's files and retime all the animations to a 2x value so they'd sync with 60 FPS? Or would that be even more difficult than re-timing the animations in time instead of in frames? Or are both impossible?

Please note I do not expect (nor anticipate) a fix ever being made, but I am morbidly curious as to the way they timed the game's animations and such by the framerate, and I find any information on the subject oddly fascinating.

Wouldn't you have to slow them down for them to sync with 60 fps? But that'd look pretty janky. I remember how bad Halo looked with unlocked FPS with the animations still being keyframed for 30 fps.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh wow I did get a tag after all.

Guess I'll have to do another release today in celebration ;)
They got you the best tag as-well! Grats :3

Top Bottom