• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Have you ever read the Mars series of books? Your name seems familiar

Yeah I got the name, minus a L, from the books. A bit OT but: back in ye olde 90s, when I was first registering for something online I wanted SaxRussell, but it was taken, so I just dropped a letter and have stuck with that since, heh.

Lol.

lolhudzwx0l.jpg

Are you trying to get the UI to scale? That'd be pretty useful I think, it's a little bit too big right now.

Durante

Fun development story time!

I just spent 30 minutes trying to fix a "bug" whereby the spell icon was drawn at reduced luminosity when I was manipulating the HUD.

Then I realized I didn't have my focus equipped.

Story over.

zephervack said:
Happy you are starting to play around with position and size :)
I started playing around with it a week or so ago. It wasn't until yesterday that I found a way to feasibly do it ;)

Yeah I got the name, minus a L, from the books. A bit OT but: back in ye olde 90s, when I was first registering for something online I wanted SaxRussell, but it was taken, so I just dropped a letter and have stuck with that since, heh.

lol Awesome. Sax is a great character, and those books rule.

I just spent 30 minutes trying to fix a "bug" whereby the spell icon was drawn at reduced luminosity when I was manipulating the HUD.

Story over.

I started playing around with it a week or so ago. It wasn't until yesterday that I found a way to feasibly do it ;)

I am super excited for this tweak. Super excited.

Story over.

lol, that sucks, happens to every developer though, cant help but just laugh.

Also, damn im excited about the HUD fix, so excited. This is crazy but would it be easy to add an opacity % to it?

Thrakier

I noticed a strange distortion effect in the grass with SSAO on 2. It's gone with SSAO 1. Kinda looks like on Durantes Pics with the fucked up HUD.

sentry65

Keep up the awesome work!

These updates and features are so good that I've been holding off buying the game so I can enjoy it at its peak.

I've finished it 6 times on the PS3 last year, but want to replay the PC version with the mods so much now

Raide

Getting to grips with the game and mod. Looking good so far. Using the basic settings currently and it holds 30fps most of the time, expect when monsters throw loads of fire at me. :D

i3-2100
4gm RAM
ATI 6850 clocked to a 6870
Vista 64.

I have checked the readme but I am not sure what I should really tweak to make things a bit better. :D

iavi

Watching Dark Souls slowly evolve from a PC port nightmare to one of dreams, all from the work of Durante alone, has been incredible.

Durante

Great update, love the scalable HUD.

The boss health bars are bugged though:
Makes sense, I wasn't fighting a boss during testing ;)
Note that you can set a keybinding for switching on/off the HUD adjustment, so you can work around such issues.

The whole HUD stuff was/is highly tedious to implement, maybe I'll make a blog post about it tomorrow. "The steep road to HuD adjustments" or something like that.

Thrakier

I also had the old HUD popping up,f.e. when going through a narrow hallway. Also, I'd prefer seeing how many souls I got with me without venturing into the menu.

Haunted

Some 1.3 feedback:

• Boss health bars just appear as a yellow bar, no name is shown.
  • Damage values are drawn far left from where they usually are (above the enemy's head).
  • Subtitles aren't displayed correctly, they appear cut off at the start on the bottom right of the screen.
  • If you have the bottom left HUD scaled and only display items/spells and you press any d-pad direction, the square where they should originally have been lights up for a second (it's the visual indicator for toggling).

^^ switching a spell

Hope that helps. :) Looks like it really was a pain to implement - as things get more complex, more little bugs and glitches enter the system.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey I'm hoping for some help. I'm trying to make a high res loading loop, but it bugs out after it loads first.

On the first load, it looks like this:

But the next load screen for when starting into the game, it looks like this:

I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong for this to happen. I think it's happening because the image is 4x the normal size, but I'm curious why it works great on the first load but terribly on the second.

Here's the actual texture file.

Haunted

Hey I'm hoping for some help. I'm trying to make a high res loading loop, but it bugs out after it loads first.

On the first load, it looks like this:

But the next load screen for when starting into the game, it looks like this:

I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong for this to happen. I think it's happening because the image is 4x the normal size, but I'm curious why it works great on the first load but terribly on the second.

Here's the actual texture file.
I think I read on Reddit that any .gif bigger than 128x128 would be messed up/cropped.

Here.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think I read on Reddit that any .gif bigger than 128x128 would mess up the display.

That's for the .Gif to .Png converter, I saw that thing yeah. The thing I'm confused by is that it looks perfect on the first load, and messes up on the second, so I'm wondering if there's something to change that would make it always look like the first load.

I'm also crashing when I Alt+Tab on 1.3. And at 2880x1620 the HUD mod kills my performance, normally I get 30 even in Blighttown, but with the [extremely sexy] HUD I get 15 even in Firelink.

one very minor bug I noticed with 1.3:

when a cut-scene finishes it leaves a weird artifact on the upper left quadrant of the screen which fades a few seconds later.

Durante

one very minor bug I noticed with 1.3:

when a cut-scene finishes it leaves a weird artifact on the upper left quadrant of the screen which fades a few seconds later.
Is this only with the HUD modification enabled?

I'm also crashing when I Alt+Tab on 1.3. And at 2880x1620 the HUD mod kills my performance, normally I get 30 even in Blighttown, but with the [extremely sexy] HUD I get 15 even in Firelink.
Yeah, I know about this, I don't (yet) know why it happens though.

Is this only with the HUD modification enabled?

Yeah, I know about this, I don't (yet) know why it happens though.

My performance at 2560x1440 is fine with the HUD mod so far. I even forced SLI to up my farmes at bonfires from 15 to 30. I cannot spot any difference with the game's bloom either (i am using the planetside 2 compatibility bits in case people are wondering).

Thx for the the update Durante!

zkylon

zkylewd
Very nice Durante. I think I'm gonna pass on this until you fix the alt-tab bug, but man you sure brought the goods...

Gvaz

Banned
It probably tanks people's fps because there's fucking 60 renders a second just for the goddamn ui.

He probably has it resized before every refresh which would take a lot of processing power.

Top Bottom