• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

I've only played about 3 levels of the first one, I enjoyed it... I've just always had something else to play. I feel bad about it! I've got this pre-ordered though (£23 for the spiffy edition) and I'm just going to re-enter the series here rather than start Demons Souls again now.

Zeliard said:
Classes didn't even matter in Demon's Souls outside of the early game. Looks like they'll be much more distinct from each other this time around. I'm going with Wanderer or Thief the first playthrough, definitely.

Yeah, but royal made the early game easier, right?

That's ok, I wanted to try a melee class from the start like Wanderer anyway.

Totalriot said:
Finally! The OT for my most anticipated game of 2011. Thanks, INDIGO_CYCLOPS.

BTW:Only thanks to your OT of Demon's Souls I bought the game in the first place.

Thank you for the kind words!

*Also just like in Demon's Souls, it seems classes won't matter in the end to some extent. As Orayn mentioned, Covenants seem to be a huge driving force in how the RPG elements unfold. The classes can guide you, but it's ultimately your choice to go wherever you wish with your character.

Xena

It's almost time huh. I still can't even beat the first boss in this game, simply because I can't live long enough to make it to him, lol. I do progress further every time I try... XD

TP

So what was the key sent from preparetodie.com used for? The email was titled "Dark Souls Awards You the Key to Your Future"

I stopped following the website because I've been avoiding all media for this game

Orayn

theMrCravens said:
I'm guessing the reviews are all from the PS3 version.

Are there any 360 impressions ?
We've seen a few minutes of footage, and it seemed identical to the PS3 footage in every perceptible way.
One caveat: They made a bit of a weird control decision. Normal attack is mapped to RB, heavy attack to RT.

Zeliard

LeoStenbuck said:

That's ok, I wanted to try a melee class from the start like Wanderer anyway.

You'll be better off for it; playing Demon's Souls with a melee character is where it's at. :)

Danielsan

Holy shit. I thought this game was going to be released at the end of October, not the start.
Have to make sure I'm done with everything else by the time this game comes around.

Jeo said:
So what was the key sent from preparetodie.com used for? The email was titled "Dark Souls Awards You the Key to Your Future"

I stopped following the website because I've been avoiding all media for this game

I believe it was used to sign up for some promotion...

Anyone remember?

theMrCravens said:
I'm guessing the reviews are all from the PS3 version.

Are there any 360 impressions ?
There are TGS videos are of the 360 version. Looks like to plays just the same. There is always a difference in lightning between the two consoles, but the 360 version seems a little dark from what I've seen.

Alex

GooeyHeat said:
How enjoyable will this be without online? My 360 is on the fritz and can't play on Live for more than 5 minutes.

Online isn't a big deal. It's unique and neat, and depending on your tastes can enhance the atmosphere and design of it all a fair bit, but it's largely a single player game with optional online enhancements.

Cloudius12 said:
There are TGS videos are of the 360 version. Looks like to plays just the same. There is always a difference in lightning between the two consoles, but the 360 version seems a little dark from what I've seen.

This.

The Destructoid preview I posted is 360 footage I believe. I posted it now because it's the most recent stuff and 360. I know most probably won't want to watch it, but the game looks and runs fine by evidence of the videos.

There's some more videos out there from TGS 11 that I will hook the OT up with later tonight that consist of gameplay bits.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Anyone remember?
The key were to be used at preparetodie.com when you connect your Facebook to the site. There you input the code to gain points to rank up.

FrankT

Orayn said:
We've seen a few minutes of footage, and it seemed identical to the PS3 footage in every perceptible way.
One caveat: They made a bit of a weird control decision. Normal attack is mapped to RB, heavy attack to RT.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense me thinks.

Edit; I don't think I've seen even one video on the marketplace yet. Little weird 3 weeks out.

Duffyside

Banned
Good crap, I had no idea this game was coming so soon. Congrats to all you guys getting Japanese copies and playing this early; I know how much you love this game.
My copy of Demon's Souls is still unopened.

Cloudius12 said:
The key were to be used at preparetodie.com when you connect your Facebook to the site. There you input the code to gain points to rank up.

Yes, that's what I was thinking but didn't want to seem like a dope if I was wrong :p

Orayn

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Anyone remember?
Prize drawings!

yLZWs.png

You can win one of these, a subscription to EDGE, and a copy of the game.

Very nice OP, and I like the anagram (which is a bit obvious when you know what you're looking for).

To nitpick, couldn't you add the prologues to the OP ? (or I somehow missed them)

Damn, I'm pumped for this game.

Jtyettis said:

There were complaints about it last night; they probably just mirrored the PS3 controls. It's how Demon's Souls controlled, but I understand it's a matter of comfort for some people.

I personally feel more comfortable with the DualShock. It would be nice if they offered alternate schemes.

Palette Swap said:
Very nice OP, and I like the anagram (which is a bit obvious when you know what you're looking for).

To nitpick, couldn't you add the prologues to the OP ? (or I somehow missed them)

Damn, I'm pumped for this game.

Thank you that makes me feel better; I was hoping it wouldn't be a shot in the dark. Sub-titles aren't quite my thing.

Orayn

Jtyettis said:
Yeah, it's a bit weird. Hopefully it'll be configurable, or maybe they'll patch it in if the community makes enough noise. Wanna help me make a ruckus, 360-GAF?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
LeoStenbuck said:
It definitely did. You could even beat that Red Knight in 1-1 with Royal class, with cheap hit and runs of course. :p

Orayn said:
Prize drawings!

yLZWs.png

You can win one of these, a subscription to EDGE, and a copy of the game.
Ah I forgot you also gained tokens for each "achievement" you completed. Inputting the code gives you 1 token. The rest of the token were Facebook related.

Cloudius12 said:
Ah I forgot you also gained tokens for each "achievement" you completed. Inputting the code gives you 1 token. The rest of the token were Facebook related.

See I never even bothered with the tokens, so I forgot about the prize part.

Alex

You don't need a Royal for early game Red Eyed Knight. Just pit him against his mortal enemy; stairs. Nothin' funnier than watching that asshole faceplant down a couple flights of them.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Orayn said:
Everyone can be a holy warrior of sorts, depending on which Covenant you take up. SPOILERS AHOY!

For heat/light/goodness and knightly allies, you want Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight.
To command the power of nature in all its chaotic glory, Izlith, the Witch of Chaos.
To be a blackguard with unholy abilities, team up with Nito, First of the Dead. There's also a secret covenant that most players won't even find on their first playthrough.
Hot damn thanks for the info, as well as the other poster talking about the changes to knight.

My hyper levels got pumped up a bit more :3 was trying to avoid some spoilers but gameplay mechanics for the most part when it affects your gameplay Im okay with :p

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Alex said:
You don't need a Royal for early game Red Eyed Knight. Just pit him against his mortal enemy; stairs. Nothin' funnier than watching that asshole faceplant down a couple flights of them.
That's the thing that was so good about DS. You could lure him to the pit below; do hit and runs, or just take advantage of the game's physics. :p

QisTopTier said:
Hot damn thanks for the info, as well as the other poster talking about the changes to knight.

My hyper levels got pumped up a bit more :3 was trying to avoid some spoilers but gameplay mechanics for the most part when it affects your gameplay Im okay with :p

Yea I have a feeling there will be such a large, diverse amount of environments/enemies that a few minutes of gameplay from the beginning of the game won't be a big issue. Especially if it helps calm peoples' fears over the quality of the 360 product.

sublimit

Banned
Great OP!
I've pre-orderd the PAL version so i'm looking forward to read the impressions of those who imported it as well as the NA gamers.

QisTopTier said:

If I ever run into you in PvP, I will make sure I'll end you!

TP

I see, thanks for the answers

One more question before I leave this thread until October

About the All-purpose Key, is there another way to open doors with simple locks?
Or am I going to have to choose that gift if I want what's behind the doors. Right now im thinking about starting with the telescope

brentech

Damn. Can't believe October is really rolling around in 2 weeks. I didn't get Demon Souls until later in the cycle, but the co-op feature is top class. Never a big fan of invading or getting invaded, but sometimes it was funny.

Jeo said:

About the All-purpose Key, is there another way to open doors with simple locks?
Or am I going to have to choose that gift if I want what's behind the doors. Right now im thinking about starting with the telescope

No info on that yet, the Thief starts with the key as well, so if you wanted to start with the Thief, and choose another gift that would be an option. Most likely keys found throughout the world (mentioned above)

I'm not sure of a lockpicking mechanic or anything like that. I doubt it.

Doomrider

I thought I got the anagram, but then I'm left with na? Looks like I didn't get it after all =P

Nice OP. Still a ways to go for me to be able to play it, though.

Jeo said:

They were not too specific. But I want to say those doors with simple locks has generic keys like "Dungeon Key", or "1st Floor Key" which can be gained when you search around more.

Orayn

Jeo said:

I'm guessing the majority of "simple doors" that can be opened with the all-purpose key have normal keys some where in the game world, it just saves you the trouble of tracking them down.

okno

I sold my PS3 when I moved to NYC, but now I need a PS3 just for this game. I don't care about console gaming anymore, but I care about this. I need this. It's a necessity.

Doomrider said:
I thought I got the anagram, but then I'm left with na? Looks like I didn't get it after all =P

Nice OP. Still a ways to go for me to be able to play it, though.

Haha sorry, the "AN" is an added to make it more sensible. So you got it I'm sure.

I hope, with the influx of people playing this game undoubtedly, we'll get a lot of good Live/PSN hate mail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom