• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

mujun

I'm getting mine straight to my door from Amazon Japan, lucked out with the price, too. Only 6000 yen. Can't wait.

I am a little worried about the seamless world stuff, though. Does that mean you can never "leave a level" to kick out a black phantom.

The_Monk

I can't believe this is almost out...!

In fact I can't believe that I finished Demon's Souls, to begin with. And to be honest I have no idea how I have this game pre-ordered since May. It is so punishing for me. To be honest I have no idea about nothing, only that I will love this game and I know It's not going to be an easy travel.

Demon's GAF, I need you to not feel lonely in this upcoming journey that awaits me. Follow me, it's too dark...and I'm wondering if I'm going to be a knight...again... I heard it is hard this way but the swords always showed me the way.

Do not let me down, GAF... Oh and bring your own torch!

Oh, and great thread OP, congrats!

PS: I'm going with PS3 version, what about everyone else?

Cloudius12 said:
iirc Pyromancer is the new Royal Class.
Care to speculate on the differences between pyromancer and sorcerer?

Having pyromancer start with an axe makes me wonder if it's meant to be a dual-class character, at least initially.

To try and minimize potential heart murmurs, I should probably go with the royal equivalent again, and then spend the majority of the game hoping to (the giant wolf) GOD that there's another item like the crescent falcon that uses the magic stat for the amount of damage it does.

mujun said:
I'm getting mine straight to my door from Amazon Japan, lucked out with the price, too. Only 6000 yen. Can't wait.

I am a little worried about the seamless world stuff, though. Does that mean you can never "leave a level" to kick out a black phantom.

Damn, what a price...are you in the States?

Andrew.

Banned
Damn...didnt realize it was this close...time to trade in crysis and upay the rest off...cant not have this game day one.

meltingparappa said:
Care to speculate on the differences between pyromancer and sorcerer?

Having pyromancer start with an axe makes me wonder if it's meant to be a dual-class character, at least initially.

To try and minimize potential heart murmurs, I should probably go with the royal equivalent again, and then spend the majority of the game hoping to (the giant wolf) GOD that there's another item like the crescent falcon that uses the magic stat for the amount of damage it does.

Pyromancer is a more focused mage, using fire obviously. He's also got slightly higher Vitality, Strength, Attunement, Resistance and Intelligence compared to the Sorcerer at the start of the game. He may or may not have special spells too, not sure about that.

thefil

I know it's supposed to be harder, but will it still require you to replay vast chunks to retry a boss?

I'd prefer harder but less distance to try again.

Orayn

thefil said:
I know it's supposed to be harder, but will it still require you to replay vast chunks to retry a boss?

Bonefires are supposed to be pretty evenly spaced out, so you'll do a bit less legwork than in Demon's Souls. You can also retreat to them to recover your health and fill up your stock of healing items, but doing so causes all enemies in the area to respawn.

thefil said:

The "Bonfire" system may have remedied that, though we don't know officially the spread of said bonfires (meaning locations in each area). They act as checkpoints/recovery sites; you can strengthen them using Humanity (srt of like Ephemeral stones) to increase # of Estflasks (health).

Beaten by Orayn!

sublimit

Banned
Do we have any confirmation on who's the composer?So far it looks like Shunsuke Kida is back.I hope the ratio of music and ambient sounds is the same as it was in Demon's Souls.

sublimit said:
Do we have any confirmation on who's the composer?So far it looks like Shunsuke Kida is back.I hope the ratio of music and ambient sounds is the same as it was in Demon's Souls.

It sounds like Kida, for sure.

BlazingDarkness said:
What does the title of the thread mean?

I'd hate to spill the beans so soon, haha.

Dark Souls Prepare to Die!

Orayn

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
The "Bonfire" system may have remedied that, though we don't know officially the spread of said bonfires (meaning locations in each area). They act as checkpoints/recovery sites; you can strengthen them using Humanity (srt of like Ephemeral stones) to increase # of Estflasks (health).

Beaten by Orayn!
We can't keep simulposting like this. WE MUST SETTLE THIS WITH HOLMGANG!

7k9FB.jpg

gate777

Sweet OT
I have the collectors edition pre-ordered via amazon since mid June.

I wasn't a member for Demons Souls but I followed the OT every day since I imported the Korean version. Once the game released in NA the thread EXPLODED! LOL!

I'm definitely in for some co-op with Dark Souls. My PSN is my user details.

So the world may be mended......

Canova

Banned
The_Monk said:
PS: I'm going with PS3 version, what about everyone else?

PS3 here too. Can't wait to struggle together.

The camaraderie in Demons Souls was amazing. I hope for the same in Dark Souls. We will conquer this beast together

Smack Fu

I tri-platted Demon Souls, and I allready have the PS3 and 360 version pre-ordered and a week off of work. I am so ready to die again and again and again... and I can NOT wait to do so.

The_Monk

madmaxx350 said:
Demon's souls kicked my ass, should I get this and go through the same ordeal?

Hey, why not? Go for it!

It took me 60 hours to finish Demon's Souls, because that game was very hard for me. But it felt so good.

Orayn

madmaxx350 said:
It's supposed to be tougher, but also more fair to the player and less likely to put you in an unwinnable situation. If that's not enough, just make "PAIN IS PLEASURE." your new mantra.

thefil

madmaxx350 said:

Yeah man, I know how you feel. Spending an hour carefully going through a level and then dying just crushed me. Never finished it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really wanted to play the first game, but I never got around to it. The servers turn off next month, so I sort of feel like it's too late for that. Is there anything in Demon's Souls that I need to know about if I play Dark Souls? (story or mythology-wise?)

RatskyWatsky said:
I really wanted to play the first game, but I never got around to it. The servers turn off next month, so I sort of feel like it's too late for that. Is there anything in Demon's Souls that I need to know about if I play Dark Souls? (story or mythology-wise?)

The best way I describe Demon's Soul is what I read on GAF. The story is just there, it really menas nothing. Demon's Soul was about the ambience. Hearing the creeking wood, clanging of the metal when you hit someone, enemies coming out of nowhere, and epic boss battles. It's one of those games where you turn off all the lights, turn off your phone, sit back, and try not to get murdered.

Just prepare to curse like you've never cursed before.

Orayn

RatskyWatsky said:
Nope. The story stands on its own and might be more connected to another From Software series, King's Field. The gameplay, however, is Demon's Souls turned up to 11.

Brofist

It'll take a lot of self control to not just go to the store and buy the Japanese release. Really want to play in English though, so play Asia it'll be.

The_Monk

Canova said:
PS3 here too. Can't wait to struggle together.

The camaraderie in Demons Souls was amazing. I hope for the same in Dark Souls. We will conquer this beast together

Nice, good to know :)

Bonfire hype for me!

The_Monk said:
Hey, why not? Go for it!

It took me 60 hours to finish Demon's Souls, because that game was very hard for me. But it felt so good.

thefil said:
Yeah man, I know how you feel. Spending an hour carefully going through a level and then dying just crushed me. Never finished it.

Orayn said:
It's supposed to be tougher, but also more fair to the player and less likely to put you in an unwinnable situation. If that's not enough, just make "PAIN IS PLEASURE." your new mantra.

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess i'll suck it up and take the beating, see you guys day 1 on PS3

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll be on PS3 (it's my only console) so if you ever get devoured by a Gravelord, there is a good chance that I summoned it.

nice ot, i_c - wouldn't've been the same without you :) ...

must be autumn - the falling leaves, the crisper air, the shorter days & longer, darker nights... & the arrival of the dark souls...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom