• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

oracrest said:
So who is importing?

I only know hiragana, katakana, and like 150 kanji so I'm wary. If it had a lot of Kanji, which it probably would, I'd be screwed......but I want it NOW.

Most anticipated game ever! Gonna play this one melee only LIKE A BOSS. That's the only way I've ever played Demon's Soul's

Day 1.

Loved Demon's Souls so much, it blows 99% of games out of the water in terms of atmosphere, art direction, challenge and just sheer fun.

Nix

Banned
bdizzle said:
The best way I describe Demon's Soul is what I read on GAF. The story is just there, it really menas nothing. Demon's Soul was about the ambience. Hearing the creeking wood, clanging of the metal when you hit someone, enemies coming out of nowhere, and epic boss battles. It's one of those games where you turn off all the lights, turn off your phone, sit back, and try not to get murdered.

Just prepare to curse like you've never cursed before.
The only times I've cursed are when I fell off cliffs, or was struck by a trap. Seriously, that shit scared me more than rolling skeletons, ambushing reapers, and red-eyes. Especially shitty in 3-1
with that huge arrow machine. I had no idea I could turn it off, and kept trying to fly past it (rolling is your friend). I didn't succeed. I eventually found the other way after giving up and seeing to Freke

Had this pre-ordered since May. Damn if I'm not hyped. Also, come out 2 days earlier than Demons Soul's did! From knows how to make me salivate.

Jhoan

Pre-ordered the 360 version from Newegg so I won't have to pay the NY sales tax. It's the first pre-order I've done this gen and probably the last one. You can add me to the never- played-Demon's Souls-because-I-don't-have-a-PS3 boat. But I've seen plenty of videos of it, lurked in the Demon's Souls thread, and heard so much about it.

I've also seen some videos and interviews from this game so color me excited for a game that I had no intention of really checking out but was on my radar. It looks like it's gonna kick my ass hard so I'm ready for it. It's a good thing Gears 3 and school is gonna tide me over until it ships. The CE for 60 bucks is an extremely sweet pre-order bonus and it has to be one of the best pre-order bonuses to date.

FrankT

Jipan said:
Pre-ordered the 360 version from Newegg so I won't have to pay the NY sales tax. It's the first pre-order I've done this gen and probably the last one. You can add me to the never- played-Demon's Souls-because-I-don't-have-a-PS3 boat. But I've seen plenty of videos of it, lurked in the Demon's Souls thread, and heard so much about it.

I've also seen some videos and interviews from this game so color me excited for a game that I had no intention of really checking out but was on my radar. It looks like it's gonna kick my ass hard so I'm ready for it. It's a good thing Gears 3 and school is gonna tide me over until it ships. The CE for 60 bucks is an extremely sweet pre-order bonus and it has to be one of the best pre-order bonuses to date.

From the Dtoid preview;

In many ways, Dark Souls is the logical continuation of Demon's Souls but it's also an excellent place for new players to start. The opening tutorial, cinematic and bonfire system make the game much more welcoming to new players or players who felt a bit too bewildered by the original's opening hour.

This being said, playing the first game definitely weakens the impact of Dark Souls’ surprises since most are just rehashes of scenarios from the first game. However, exploring the game’s world is the real appeal of Dark Souls, along with turning your weakling of an avatar into a "decent but still kind of useless" weakling of a survivor.

I can’t wait to be frustrated, frightened and fascinated with a From Software world again, come October

Think this has me more psyched than anything I've seen or heard yet. It's really going to be a fresh new experience for a lot of us.

Zeliard said:
I want to watch gameplay videos but I don't want to watch gameplay videos.

A dilemma.

I wish I could watch a simple gameplay video fighting against a mob without having to worry about all the bosses getting spoiled.

gillFTR said:
So I'm picking this game up without never playing the first what should I expect.

Punishing yet rewarding. Death lurks around every corner. Keep your cool and you might live a little while longer.

Orayn

gillFTR said:
So I'm picking this game up without never playing the first what should I expect.
Challenging, moody, atmospheric action-RPG gameplay. I would describe the game as a sort of open world dungeon crawler, full of secrets, treasures, hauntingly beautiful scenery, and many, many ways for you to get yourself killed.

This being said, playing the first game definitely weakens the impact of Dark Souls’ surprises since most are just rehashes of scenarios from the first game...

if you're new, yes, you'll be stunned & amazed. as for us vets, well, we'll just have to carry on relishing our memories of the 'impact' from the first time 'round :) ...

Novid

Banned
guys im scared. Demon's Souls was the first game since Xenogears i felt changed the landscape... But then came Xenosaga... and then Japan never really recovered until Demon Souls...so is this the time Japan's Video Game Intellgensia truly moves forward?

Drek

Can't wait.

I hear they did away with the world alignments, that true? I personally won't miss it. I didn't put nearly as much time in Demon Souls as the regulars to the board here and found the need to shift world alignment for many unlocks to be too daunting of a task on my first play.

cj_iwakura

Drek said:
Can't wait.

I hear they did away with the world alignments, that true? I personally won't miss it. I didn't put nearly as much time in Demon Souls as the regulars to the board here and found the need to shift world alignment for many unlocks to be too daunting of a task on my first play.

Very much gone, but alignment was easy to break if you played offline. I did everything in one offline game, easily.

vermadas

Demon's Souls remains my favorite game played this console gen. It's been a while since I have anticipated a game so much.

Jhoan

Jtyettis said:
From the Dtoid preview;

Think this has me more psyched than anything I've seen or heard yet. It's really going to be a fresh new experience for a lot of us.

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to it. In one of the Gamespot interviews during the San Diego Comic Con interviews, the Namco-Bandai guy did say that From Software is making this game a lot more accessible to new players.

It's gonna be a toss up between Wanderer, Thief, and Bandit for me. Deprived is too risky especially for a first timer. If anyone plans on rolling as a Deprived through the first run, you have my utmost respect and a ton of guts.

gillFTR

Death Dealer said:
Punishing yet rewarding. Death lurks around every corner. Keep your cool and you might live a little while longer.

I don't mind the whole punishing yet rewarding aspect, where I will die like 5 times and then get past the part. Afterwards, I would think to myself saying that was hard, but if I played it better the first time It would of been easier. I hate unfair game mechanics that are just to added to up the difficulty and gametime. Aslong I am experience the first part I will hopefully enjoy the game..

So much to do and so little time. I'm about to wrap of my 3rd paltinum for Demon's Souls and I've been waitng all year for this game. EVERYTHING WILL DIE! including me

Soma

I kinda want to do a final playthrough of Demon's Souls before this comes out but I'm thinking... "do I REALLY want to go back to the Tower of Latria again?"

It's not so much a hard area (for the most part) but 3-1 drags on for so long :(

gillFTR

BobTheFork said:
So much to do and so little time. I'm about to wrap of my 3rd paltinum for Demon's Souls and I've been waitng all year for this game. EVERYTHING WILL DIE! including me

3 platinums ? what the

Orayn

Drek said:
Can't wait.

Covenants are going to be a much more pragmatic way of changing the world based on the player's actions. Apparenlty, (COVENANT RELATED SPOILER!)
the leaders of the three main Covenants, Gwyn, Izlith, and Nito, are bosses and can be killed as well.

Chiave

The only parts of Demon's Souls that gave me any real trouble was the Tower of Latria (pits and Maneater) and Feral Imp... shit gave me nightmares man.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Orayn said:
Challenging, moody, atmospheric action-RPG gameplay. I would describe the game as a sort of open world dungeon crawler, full of secrets, treasures, hauntingly beautiful scenery, and many, many ways for you to get yourself killed.

Oh yes.

You will enter Dark Souls as fodder, a weak and pathetic baby. You will be stabbed, crushed, poisoned and disemboweled, but what kills you will only make you stronger. Each death is a lesson, you'll learn about the placement of hidden trap or an effective method for defeating a tricky foe. It may not seem like it at times, but you will always be making progress, even when you lose a buttload of souls. And in the case of a game like DS, knowledge is more powerful than a minor stat boost.

Over time, you'll start to become more and more capable. Levels that once seemed so daunting will be a breeze after you'll learned it's ins and outs through sheer perseverance. The enemies that once made you cower in fear can be effortlessly dispatched with your honed skills and increasingly powerful weapons. If you have it in you, you'll graduate past being fodder and a survivor to a badass demon killing machine. That's not to say Demon's Souls was a cake walk, but there was a tremendous sense of progress from start to finish.

Succeeding in Demon's Souls was incredibly rewarding compared to modern games since I earned every goddamn drop of my success. I proved to myself that I wasn't just another mouth-breathing gamer who values instant gratification over a challenge. It felt good, dude.

I was kinda hoping they'd ditch the 'must return to where you died to regain your souls' mechanic. Is it just me or does that make less sense in an open-world game, compared to one like Demon's Souls with more linear, level-based design?

gillFTR said:
3 platinums ? what the
Are you kidding, I'm a puss; I'm the last one on GAF to do it. tons of people have the triple set. HK version, NA verison, EU version. The fun thing is every time you end of playing with totally new people.

Orayn

chaostrophy said:
I was kinda hoping they'd ditch the 'must return to where you died to regain your souls' mechanic. Is it just me or does that make less sense in an open-world game, compared to one like Demon's Souls with more linear, level-based design?
It's not exactly an open-world game. The levels are a bit less linear in design, but there aren't any large expanses or hubs like Zelda's Hyrule Field. The biggest difference is that levels connect to one another instead of being linked by warping an a hub.

Grinchy

Banned
Seriously this comes out next week? Why? Don't they know my body isn't ready?

I'm back in school next week and I have roughly 1 million games in my backlog. I just don't know if I can fight the urge...

Grinchy said:
Seriously this comes out next week? Why? Don't they know my body isn't ready?

I'm back in school next week and I have roughly 1 million games in my backlog. I just don't know if I can fight the urge...

Well it comes out in Japan next week. US and EU have to wait a little longer.

soldat7

moonspeak said:
I kinda want to do a final playthrough of Demon's Souls before this comes out but I'm thinking... "do I REALLY want to go back to the Tower of Latria again?"

It's not so much a hard area (for the most part) but 3-1 drags on for so long :(

One of the best and most unique sequences of levels in all of gaming.

Johnas

Nice OT.

I cannot wait to explore every nook and cranny of this game. It really is all I need for the rest of the year. I'm buying Ico/SotC, Uncharted 3 and Zelda, but I don't truly know if I'll be interested in them when they release.

This generation has generally left a bad taste in my mouth, with the exception of a select few titles like Demon's Souls. I am truly thankful that From Software gets it; it's a minor miracle that we got something as amazing as Demon's Souls, but to apparently one-up that with a sequel? Lightning struck twice.

I fail to see how anybody with even the slightest interest in medieval fantasy wouldn't be drawn to this game.

Alex

3-1 was soooooo good, that may have been my favorite area. Like a survival horror game but with good game mechanics!

matmanx1

I am sooooo ready. I've been playing Demon's Souls again these past couple of weeks just to get "in the mood" and it's been just as glorious this time as it was the previous 2 times I played it.

What a perfect game for October and Halloween season. October 4th can't come soon enough, IMO.

Zeal

Banned
Although I am going with PS3, the 360 version looks completely untouched and identical to that of PS3. Thank god.

Great framerate, colors, animation. Everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom