• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roche

Try the other thrusting swords maybe? Estoc has range and has a slashing hard attack which is very good. Ricards is all thrusting with shorter range but it is very fast. They are good weapons but you need a lot of patience with them and most fights are you whiting away at your opponents health(unless you buff them)

Yeah I figured I'd go for either Estoc or Ricards my only problem is that without trying them out at their best I can't really determine which my best option is. And that is a pretty big investment, I suppose I'll just work on leveling them both up while I go about my business then I'll see which one I prefer.

As a side note; the Balder Side Sword is my favorite Dark Souls weapon right now, the thing is so bad ass allowing you to be quick enough to get in behind enemy shields to whittle away at them, when used with plenty of stamina and plenty of speed the sword is unstoppable.

Edit:
Shotel maybe? Rapier is better if you make it Chaos, the scaling isn't good so you will get more damage out of it, and you will also get fire chip damage to finish off weak players. I like having a Chaos Rapier +5 so I can backstab ppl that are healing or casting a spell, and it's great for keeping pressure on players and chipping them down until they die.

I might try that out actually, my build is based around scaling for the most part but it might be good to have a weapon to keep pressure on, usually I just run around like a fly until people die. I find the Rapier isn't mobile enough for that.

Booshka

Think I'm gonna do a SL1 run soon. I've already beaten the game at SL15 - mostly just leveled to use the uchigatana. What are my choices for weapons in this play through besides lightning/fire/chaos/ handaxe?

Nothing beats a Chaos +5 Reinforced Club, or go Fire +10 if you don't think you'll be running around with 10 humanity.

I am using them both at +14 right now. Ricards has shorter range and slightly less damage but it's faster and it's strong attack does a ton of damage if it hits(if it hits). Estoc does more damage and has more range and imo a better more pvp friendly strong attack with is a slash. They are both really good weapons but after pvp for hours with one then the other I am siding with the estoc right now.

Got my first pvp riposte yesterday does around 1400 damage with then hornet ring and 40 dexterity at +14. man did that feel good to land.

balddemon

Banned
i am going to hire someone to beat this game for me after ii win the lottery.
i made it pretty far through the burg (at least felt like a long ways) then ran out of estus flasks. i was doing ok with a sliver of health, and then got cheapshotted/greedy for hits. or my stamina ran out. i can't remember. anyway, i died. this game is dumb

crazy night last night. had a friend round and we took turns playing a few of my characters. first did some sl12 co-op in undeadburg, killing havels for fun and profit before switching to an sl136 in anor londo where we sat around using the dried fingers and getting invaded constantly. a lot of good fights, most of which managed to win and learnt a few things too
i actually didn't realise the moonlight heavy 2h attack would hit someone through a wall.
One vengeful spirit was turtling around the giants before the S&O fog gate, so for a laugh I summoned Solaire who ran down and started wailing on him while I took out one of the giants. Solaire died but he did some good damage to the spirit and i finished him off. Tables turned oh hiding-behind-enemies-phantom >:D the highlight of Anor Londo though was having a naked fist fight (in a ring of prism stones) on the anor londo roof.

After which switched back to the Sl12 guy and started putting the dragon's eye down in undeadburg. when people appeared fairly obviously underpowered we'd bow a few times and drop some humanities for them before fighting. one guy though stood on a roof and wouldn't come down to get the items. so eventually i decided i'd get up there too and halfway up the ladder he starts coming down it. fisticuffs ensue and we both fall off the ladder simultaneously.. into a bunch of enemies that kill him immediately. mean? possibly. hilarious? fuck yes. there were enough people with lightning reinforced clubs etc. though that it was hard to know - unless they hit you - what you were fighting. unless they ran away immediately. that was a good clue. after an hour or two of this there appeared a message over where we were dropping the eye stone that said something like "beware of Dark" heheh.

in the end we reached the 30 dragon scales i needed for the torso stone, handed them in before switching back to co-op and the first guy that summons me drops two twinkling titanites, 2 chunks and the DWGR before going in to the boss. i didn't have much to give back though, a divine blessing and some other stuff. am intending next to farm/buy a huge stock of green shards/large shards for giving to hosts with weak weapons.

i am going to hire someone to beat this game for me after ii win the lottery.
i made it pretty far through the burg (at least felt like a long ways) then ran out of estus flasks. i was doing ok with a sliver of health, and then got cheapshotted/greedy for hits. or my stamina ran out. i can't remember. anyway, i died. this game is dumb

if you have at least two humanity items you can reverse hollowing and then kindle the undeadburg bonfire to give you permanent 10 flasks from it. and then once you are alive, if you're online you could summon a phantom or two. also using a humanity item out in the field will heal you, if you're desperate.

krakov

Got summoned by a dude wearing full havels encumbered and wielding a Furysword at pitiful damage. Told me he had 45 STR so I went and made a +11 DGM to give him in another area.

Also had a weird bug fighting 4K where I as a phantom could not hit one of the kings. Was able to see him and lock on etc.

Booshka

ohhhh boosh...

edit: gogogo!

awww...
yea should have hit and run better, or combustion spam harder, Murakumo with max poise is so hard to fight against
lol, clicked on that stream and loaded up just to see booshka run off a cliff.

I was trying to get out of the way of a duel, and missed my step haha.

Late-Night EDIT: Gonna have a Dark Souls hangover from all the PvP I have partaken in tonight. Twas fun though, lot of great fights.

M.D

Trying to figure out what weapon I want to use.
I have most of the weapons in the game, but I can't decide on one that has a move-set that I like, and at the same time is powerful enough. I've been using Man-Serpent Greatsword for ages now.

I've tried to use Demon Great Machete, but it's too slow for my taste. Demon's Greataxe is nice, but I didn't like it as much I thought. Maybe I should use less powerful weapon, but with a great move-set?

Made some more progress. Using spoiler tags since I'm getting later into the game.

Sen's Fortress: This is definitely where the Drake Sword becomes outdated, taking over 6 hits to kill the snake people. Traps didn't give me too much trouble, though the boulder mechanism confuses me. It seems to reset randomly... The cage shortcut is amazing.

Eventually became human and kindled the Parish bonfire by the blacksmith. Seems like one of the more useful bonfires in the game. Since I was human, I summoned for the Iron Golem fight and easily won.

Northern Undead Asylum: Detour! Saw that I needed the Peculiar Doll to enter the Painted World in Anor Londo (that's a mouthful) so I went to clean this place out. That, and I wanted a Titanite Chunk + some other stuff from Snuggly. Grabbed the doll, iron ring, and oh yeah, kicked Stray Demon's fat ass. Free Titanite Slab for me.

Anor Londo part I: Went in with Lightning Spear+3. Oh boy. With the giant knights and beam walking sections, this area is pretty intimidating. Luckily it wasn't overly difficult. Made a shortcut then entered the painted world.

Painted World of Free Souls: Easy souls everywhere up in this bitch. The harpies can be a bit rough though. Make sure to fight them in a flat area. Killed an invader which gave me some sweet, if a bit too heavy armor at the end. Like the headpiece's homage to the Old Monk headpiece from Demon's Souls. Priscilla is a pain when using a spear. Still went down no problem.

Getting ready to head to the castle in Anor Londo now. These past few hours have been way better than Depths/Blighttown. I don't know what to do with armor though. I'm using a +5 wanderer chestpiece, +2 wanderer headpiece, and basic wanderer boots and gloves. Tried out some other stuff but I wasn't getting the fastest roll. Stats look like this:

Vitality-28
Attunement-14
Endurance-30
Strength-16
Dex-14
Res/Int-base
Faith-12

And does anyone else hear random heartbeats in the painted world? What does that mean?

Late-Night EDIT: Gonna have a Dark Souls hangover from all the PvP I have partaken in tonight. Twas fun though, lot of great fights.

i was working so watched on and off but didn't see you again.. saw your sign heaps and each time he'd go "oh booshka he just fought recently". my bad timing :/

Trying to figure out what weapon I want to use.
I have most of the weapons in the game, but I can't decide on one that has a move-set that I like, and at the same time is powerful enough. I've been using Man-Serpent Greatsword for ages now.

I've tried to use Demon Great Machete, but it's too slow for my taste. Demon's Greataxe is nice, but I didn't like it as much I thought. Maybe I should use less powerful weapon, but with a great move-set?

often a good idea. i'm assuming you have a str kind of build? claymore/bastard/zweihander are all decent, zwei being the slowest of the bunch but hardest hitting w longest reach, claymore next longest. you could upgrade a few things to just +5 or +10 and try them out in undeadburg. then there's clubs but they're pretty slow too. in fact most of the str weapons are slow as hell.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Okay, so I'm almost at the end of the game: SL 109, DX 40, ST 34 and End 40. I just need a bunch of Titanite Slabs to max out some armour. I got one from Stray, but used that to upgrade the Lightning Spear. Is there any way to farm a lot of them and I'm having no luck with the Darkwraiths in New Londo.

Also one more thing, is it worth increasing Dex over 40?

So I've made a few alts and I have a question:

Did they somehow change it so that when you kill the three nonrespawning Black Knights, you're guaranteed to get a Black Knight Sword from one of them? I've made like new five characters and every time I've gotten the sword from the last one.

Day 2.

I started looking for a different path since the forest was too messed up and found a path that was worse. Got angry and found another past which was also worse. Then found a third path which seemed too easy so I figured that's the one I've been missing, but instead it was a shortcut connecting two other places I had been to several times already.

Then I got really angry and beat the Bell Gargoyles and the Capra Demon out of spite.

Peeked a little bit into the depths. Holy cow oh my god being cursed sucks so very much. Also, that sludge thing that lives in the water that likes to eat you was rather shocking.

Speaking of things eating you, did any enemies at any point in Demon's Souls do the thing where they grab you and slowly suck all your lifebar away without letting you do anything? I sure don't remember something that annoying. Also, CAN you do something while you're grabbed and I've just missed it?

M.D

i was working so watched on and off but didn't see you again.. saw your sign heaps and each time he'd go "oh booshka he just fought recently". my bad timing :/

often a good idea. i'm assuming you have a str kind of build? claymore/bastard/zweihander are all decent, zwei being the slowest of the bunch but hardest hitting w longest reach, claymore next longest. you could upgrade a few things to just +5 or +10 and try them out in undeadburg. then there's clubs but they're pretty slow too. in fact most of the str weapons are slow as hell.

46 STR, 22 DEX, 20 INT, 30 FAI (I'm not leveling anymore, since I'll only use this character for PVP when I go into NG++, and I'm already at SL136)

I think I'll try out Claymore. It has a pretty decent base damage, but with C scaling it's not going to blow off anyone. I quite like it's move-set, and it's really quick for a greatsword.

I wish I had invested more in DEX instead of INT only to be able to use Greatsword of Artorias, which I don't use except in Cata/TOG. There are a lot of weapons that scale with DEX that I would love to use, but I need the damage for PVP.

BTW, I'm pretty close to getting the Rare Weapons trophy. Only missing Darkmoon Bow, Stone Greatsword, Stone Greatshield and Black Knight Greataxe.

I have a spare Soul of Priscilla, if anyone needs it.
Does anyone have a spare Darkmoon Bow/Soul of Gwyndolin?

Canova

Banned
Day 2.

I started looking for a different path since the forest was too messed up and found a path that was worse. Got angry and found another past which was also worse. Then found a third path which seemed too easy so I figured that's the one I've been missing, but instead it was a shortcut connecting two other places I had been to several times already.

Then I got really angry and beat the Bell Gargoyles and the Capra Demon out of spite.

Peeked a little bit into the depths. Holy cow oh my god being cursed sucks so very much. Also, that sludge thing that lives in the water that likes to eat you was rather shocking.

Speaking of things eating you, did any enemies at any point in Demon's Souls do the thing where they grab you and slowly suck all your lifebar away without letting you do anything? I sure don't remember something that annoying. Also, CAN you do something while you're grabbed and I've just missed it?

not in Demon's Souls. Grab attack is the new thing in Dark Souls, many enemies including bosses have grab attack that can kill you in an instant

Sullichin

Nothing beats a Chaos +5 Reinforced Club, or go Fire +10 if you don't think you'll be running around with 10 humanity.

Ah yes, forgot about reinforced club. thanks.

not in Demon's Souls. Grab attack is the new thing in Dark Souls, many enemies including bosses have grab attack that can kill you in an instant

The octopus head dudes in world 3 in Demons Souls can grab you, and if it's the black phantom version it's probably a 1 hit kill.

46 STR, 22 DEX, 20 INT, 30 FAI (I'm not leveling anymore, since I'll only use this character for PVP when I go into NG++, and I'm already at SL136)

I think I'll try out Claymore. It has a pretty decent base damage, but with C scaling it's not going to blow off anyone. I quite like it's move-set, and it's really quick for a greatsword.

I wish I had invested more in DEX instead of INT only to be able to use Greatsword of Artorias, which I don't use except in Cata/TOG. There are a lot of weapons that scale with DEX that I would love to use, but I need the damage for PVP.

BTW, I'm pretty close to getting the Rare Weapons trophy. Only missing Darkmoon Bow, Stone Greatsword, Stone Greatshield and Black Knight Greataxe.

I have a spare Soul of Priscilla, if anyone needs it.
Does anyone have a spare Darkmoon Bow/Soul of Gwyndolin?

Try out this weapon when you get it.. it's faster than some of the other STR weapons, has an amazing move set, and does tons of damage.

Okay, so I'm almost at the end of the game: SL 109, DX 40, ST 34 and End 40. I just need a bunch of Titanite Slabs to max out some armour. I got one from Stray, but used that to upgrade the Lightning Spear. Is there any way to farm a lot of them and I'm having no luck with the Darkwraiths in New Londo.

Also one more thing, is it worth increasing Dex over 40?

Your lightning spear does not scale its damage at all with STR or DEX, so it depends on what else you have in your setup. Weapon scaling falls off after 40DEX, but you can cast pyromancy a bit faster at 45 DEX.

Fuck. Just lost 26000 souls and 10 humanity because I didn't know about the
Stray Demon as you crash through the floor when you go back to the Asylum

Edit - forgot about homeward bone!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Your lightning spear does not scale its damage at all with STR or DEX, so it depends on what else you have in your setup. Weapon scaling falls off after 40DEX, but you can cast pyromancy a bit faster at 45 DEX.
I have the Pharis Bow +14, so it's helpful. But yeah, I'll stop putting points on DEX now. Thanks.

00LockScreen.png

I don't know if any one has a Vita but this looks pretty great on my Lock Screen.

I made a +5 Lightning Iaito. Will this get me through the rest of the game past Anor Londo? I also have a +2 or 3 Quelaag's Fury Sword. What should I make next! I think Catacombs/Giants is next, maybe a Devine?

I made a +5 Lightning Iaito. Will this get me through the rest of the game past Anor Londo? I also have a +2 or 3 Quelaag's Fury Sword. What should I make next! I think Catacombs/Giants is next, maybe a Devine?

You're going to want a divine for Catacombs. If you've found Astora's Straightsword, that'll work. A divine isn't needed in Tomb so you'll be good once you kill all the necromancers.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I found one of the best weapons for Catacombs/Giants to be an upgraded Silver Knight spear.

-It has excellent reach so you can stay back and poke safely from behind your shield.

-The R2 strong attack is a sweeping motion that has a ridiculously large AOE range that circles 360 degrees around you (good for if you get surrounded) and pretty much 1-shots most of the enemies in the tomb.

-It counts as a divine weapon so it will do extra damage.

-The divine damage also allows you to permanently kill the skeletons you fight regardless of whether you have killed their respective Necromancers. This is very helpful in the final boss fight against Gravelord Nito to eliminate his minions. Also the general damage is pretty quick and if you 2-hand it between his sword strikes you can take him down quickly.

balddemon

Banned
so what is your guys strat for resting at bonfires? i hate doing it because my gear/stats suck and i rekilling all the enemies lol. also at one point i had 12 estus flasks, but now i'm down to 5 when i rest?? what gives

I found one of the best weapons for Catacombs/Giants to be an upgraded Silver Knight spear.

-It has excellent reach so you can stay back and poke safely from behind your shield.

-The R2 strong attack is a sweeping motion that has a ridiculously large AOE range that circles 360 degrees around you (good for if you get surrounded) and pretty much 1-shots most of the enemies in the tomb.

-It counts as a divine weapon so it will do extra damage.

-The divine damage also allows you to permanently kill the skeletons you fight regardless of whether you have killed their respective Necromancers. This is very helpful in the final boss fight against Gravelord Nito to eliminate his minions. Also the general damage is pretty quick and if you 2-hand it between his sword strikes you can take him down quickly.
Damn, I'm going to try and farm that now.

Also, sometimes I hear this weird bonfire lighting type noise, and a yellow flare appears above my characters head, what is that? It doesn't seem to be anyone + rating my messages, and I don't seem to get another Estus flask.

joe2187

Banned
so what is your guys strat for resting at bonfires? i hate doing it because my gear/stats suck and i rekilling all the enemies lol. also at one point i had 12 estus flasks, but now i'm down to 5 when i rest?? what gives

You have you level up each bonfire you come across with humanity, the more humanity you offer each bonfire you are given more estus for that bonfire only, you have to keep doing it.

There's no reason not to rest at bonfires, checkpoints man, ya needs them.

Also, sometimes I hear this weird bonfire lighting type noise, and a yellow flare appears above my characters head, what is that? It doesn't seem to be anyone + rating my messages, and I don't seem to get another Estus flask.

You are being given one free estus flask, somewhere in the online world someone has kindled the bonfire you last rested at.

joe2187

Banned
Ornstein and Smough, and Priscilla are my favorite boss fights in Dark.

Whereas, I really like the setting for King of storms, Dragon God and Old Monk in Demons. But in terms of challenge, the boss fights in Demons were still pretty easy.

balddemon

Banned
You have you level up each bonfire you come across with humanity, the more humanity you offer each bonfire you are given more estus for that bonfire only, you have to keep doing it.

There's no reason not to rest at bonfires, checkpoints man, ya needs them.

makes sense...

also this stupid black knight in the undead parish. i have to kill him, for myself lol. but it's taking time T_T

The Chef

Im trying to decide if I should upgrade my Faith and Intelligence for the Greatsword of Artorias. Any thoughts on that?
Its hard to imagine anything being stronger than my Black Knight Greataxe at this point though.

It's amazing how you can turn Sen's Fortress's traps against the enemy. Once I started to learn how the traps work I hardly had to fight any of those Snake people. I am starting to feel kind of badass in the game now. I defeated that huge enemy guarding the entrance to Darkroot Garden (near the blacksmith) without even breaking a sweat. Never thought that would happen.

But Anor Londo is making me rage quit in a whole new way. It's an awe inspiring location for sure. But there is this one part where you have to climb up a flying buttress while two knights pelt you with arrows. I am always getting knocked down, even when I reach the top ledge. Any advice would be helpful.

Dresden

Im trying to decide if I should upgrade my Faith and Intelligence for the Greatsword of Artorias. Any thoughts on that?
Its hard to imagine anything being stronger than my Black Knight Greataxe at this point though.

I wouldn't bother. That sword is for people who really like the way it looks.

Sullichin

It's amazing how you can turn Sen's Fortress's traps against the enemy. Once I started to learn how the traps work I hardly had to fight any of those Snake people. I am starting to feel kind of badass in the game now. I defeated that huge enemy guarding the entrance to Darkroot Garden (near the blacksmith) without even breaking a sweat. Never thought that would happen.

But Anor Londo is making me rage quit in a whole new way. It's an awe inspiring location for sure. But there is this one part where you have to climb up a flying buttress while two knights pelt you with arrows. I am always getting knocked down, even when I reach the top ledge. Any advice would be helpful.

You are like the zillionth person in these OT to be stuck on this part. I don't mean that in any mean way, just that it's pretty universally regarded as one of the hardest parts of one's first play through. Anyway, run straight up, ignore the guy on the left, head to the right, roll through the arrow (this is the key - don't block it), then get up in the knight's face and either kill him or knock him off the ledge. or, you can shoot them with poison arrows and just wait for them to die.

20 Humanity + Gold Serpent Ring and I still can't get anything but Titanite Chunks from these DarkWraiths. Anyone have a better way of getting SLABS?

You are like the zillionth person in these OT to be stuck on this part. I don't mean that in any mean way, just that it's pretty universally regarded as one of the hardest parts of one's first play through. Anyway, run straight up, ignore the guy on the left, head to the right, roll through the arrow (this is the key - don't block it), then get up in the knight's face and either kill him or knock him off the ledge. or, you can shoot them with poison arrows and just wait for them to die.

LOL thank you. Glad I am not the only one who got stuck here. The bit about rolling through the arrow to the right once I reach the ledge was the part that I was missing. I can't wait to get this part out of the way.

The visuals in Anor Londo are really impressing me. Even though I am rather stressed I can't help but be awe by how the place looks.

Nutter

So which way should I proceed in upgrading the uchigatana?

I was split between Raw and Devine. Same question for the Washing Pole. I want to get the Chaos Blade but I only have 28 dex. sigh.

Doing BB glitch runs on the Stray Demon.

Otherwise you're just going to be grinding for a long time.

Are you talking about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ6qIKN7FMk
That seems like a pretty immense pain in the ass too. I guess its not as bad as grinding though.

i might go back and play some demon's souls to make me feel better about myself haha
it's so much easier

I personally think Demon Souls is much more difficult than Dark Souls. So many cheap deaths in Demon.

I'm hanging around in Blighttown, and I think I've done everything. Quelaag is a dead, and I've gone through the area from the Depths and met up with where I've got to from coming from Valley of Drakes, so I'm done right? Think I got all the loot. The only thing I didn't do was kill the boulder throwing bad guys, but did get the loot that's close to them.

I had to laugh because I was going from the bonfire up the wheel lift and twice I'd dropped to my death after getting off the lift just fighting the flies - because of lock on and walking the wrong way, so the third time I'm aware of the flies who will be coming soon, but I miss the jump off the lift and fall to my doom -23000 souls + 9 humanity = Dark Souls.

Never get complacent, because that's when you will fall to your death along the walkway you've traversed a thousand times!

edit: and now I've seen all of Blighttown, I think it's over-rated in terms of threat and performance. It certainly dipped, but nowhere near what I was expecting from all the woes I'd read, I was expecting it to come to a complete stuttering halt, but it was never anywhere near. Once the blow-dart guys are gone, it's a cakewalk.

joe2187

Banned
Have you ventured into Demons Ruins? there's some pretty good loot down there. Ceaseless discharge is easy if you use the crevice in the middle of his area to fight him.

And there's an ember in the ruins towards the bottom right after you beat Ceaseless, but It's pretty tough to fight through those Lava worms will make you cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom