• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

You really just want to have the last word, don't you? XD

Chaos the whole game isn't a thing like Power Within (because again you can control the HP loss in several ways) and its a viable weapon in both PvP and PvE. Hell, even Lifehunt Scythe is viable in PvE and it's "gimmick" is way worse on the player than Chaos Blade.

You lose 20 HP a hit. It's not a big deal when you have Estus, Miracles and Humanity to heal and with 450 ATP pure damage (not split) you kill things in 1-2 hits except bosses and really big enemies. Ring of the Evil Eye gives you 30 HP a kill. So unless you fight something big (like Giants or the Dragon Zombies) or with a lot of HP (like the big mushrooms) you don't even lose any HP after an exchange.

Just because you couldn't make it work doesn't mean it's "for show". There are much worse weapons out there that work in PvE/PvP too, like Ricard's Rapier, Demon's Great Machete and Grant. Just have to make the build around it.

I mostly agree with you here, my first playthrough I took chaos over fury,,,,,but ring of evil eye is not a great ring to be taking up a valuble ring slot when most people like the DWGR, havel's, or others. NOt much beats my chaos great scythe for reach and damage at a faster than expected swing speed...two resistances or not, with full humanity, 700 damage is better than 400 pure isn't it? There is alwasy the back up benefit of covering bases against players that tank up..... I dunno, I still have to do a dex character sometime, and I know the advantages...have alwasy just hated the move sets and not enough reach. Demon's spear r2 and even the zwei r2 just kick too much ass for me to switch to the pencil prick swords...gotta have the meat! Each ot their own but I like to be able to use a plethora of different weapons for different situations in pve adn pvp I suck anyway so who cares. :p The several times I did win at pvp it was with the great scythe though....reach with roll is important.

Zertez

Where do you think is the best location to place my White summon sign in Anor Lando? I've put it at the top of the stairs as you enter the great hall (with the two huge guards and the archer), seems good as players will be coming from th bonfire and that's really the only route.
The last bonfire before the boss is a good place to put it. I would get summon constantly when I was below level 45 in Anor Londo. Over level 45 things slow down a lot.

if powerwithin works for me, then why would chaos not work for me?
I dont think a flat 450 damage is is worth all that hassle. consider my greatsword deals 550+ pure damage and Furyblade deals 450 split damage without the 40% powerwithin bonus.
a weapon with low durability and damages its user for an little above average damage output, i say its purely for show. do you not agree?

- Chaos actually has 120 Durability unlike the other katana in the game, which is the same as Balder Side Sword (another excellent DEX weapon). And BSS doesn't suffer for it.

- As for a greatsword...it's a greatsword. You're not gonna exactly be using a Lightning Claymore or a Zwei + 15 on a DEX build. XD

- For a DEX weapon, there are actually very few weapons that beat Chaos Blade in raw damage (and raw damage > split damage so it's > Furysword). And you can Power Within Chaos Blade too (even though I wouldn't because I personally don't think PW is ever worth it).

The damage loss isn't that bad. The only really bad thing about it is that you can't enchant it, but the damage on it is solid, and in PvP someone's gonna run from you if you buff anyway.

I mostly agree with you here, my first playthrough I took chaos over fury,,,,,but ring of evil eye is not a great ring to be taking up a valuble ring slot when most people like the DWGR, havel's, or others.

On my Chaos Blade DEX build I used Ring of the Evil Eye in the first slot for PvE, Wolf Ring on the first slot for PvP (to get above 53 Poise to stop Greatsword stunlock) and DWGR was on at all times on the second slot. Works great for the build, though you are right and there are better rings out there (I really don't need that one for this build, but I'd use it since I didn't need Havel's/RoFaP).

As an invader you're gonna be on the losing end at almost all times unless you invade someone way lower level (which can happen as a Darkmoon). You've gotta get the jump on them if they have buddies, or use the terrain to your advantage (wait for the target to run past you while hidden and BS, run them into mobs, etc).

It's so awesome, just had another two on one, but this was two Darkmooners against a guilty. It was the same bastard who had me a few times before. We vanquished him and I got a Medal for it.

Dresden

The bonewheel shield is an amazing weapon. Best R2 ever (also hits really damn hard, it's basically three strong attacks shoved into one quick spin; it'll hit thrice if you can connect).

Is demon souls worth playing after dark souls? i never played it but i loved the hell out of dark souls

I'm finally going through rest of Demon's Souls and it's a terrific game with some incredibly atmospheric and well designed stages and bosses.

Although after playing some 300 hours of Dark Souls, the gameplay itself feels lacking, without DkS additions like plunge attack, jumping etc. Also controls feel a bit floatier (is this a real word?) in comparison. I also find the open-ended world structure and traversing between the stages of Dark Souls better designed than central hub system of Demon's. It creates more immersive world and more of a sense of a place to me at least.

But it's the little differences that make Demon's Souls a classic game that can be enjoyed at its own. And I'd also mention that Demon's is a bit more hardcore in some design decisions like inventory limits which can be harsh at times, especially if you're playing a heavily armored warrior like me.

krakov

The bonewheel shield is an amazing weapon. Best R2 ever (also hits really damn hard, it's basically three strong attacks shoved into one quick spin; it'll hit thrice if you can connect).

I once had a gravelord dude with a twohanded fire bonewheel as my main weapon. It's strong if you manage to catch people but you are pretty much begging for a backstab if the opponent knows whats up. Still a fun "weapon".

Well, I just got Darkmoon Blade on my non-main miracle user. So currently I have that, Vow of Silence and Great Magic Barrier on this character and all the other miracles on my main (NG+). No trophy. I guess that means I will need to farm all of them on one character. Oh yay, farming harpies in NG+ :(

Well, I just got Darkmoon Blade on my non-main miracle user. So currently I have that, Vow of Silence and Great Magic Barrier on this character and all the other miracles on my main (NG+). No trophy. I guess that means I will need to farm all of them on one character. Oh yay, farming harpies in NG+ :(

Can't you join the covenant on NG+ and play online for medals from Darkmoon?

krakov

What the fuck is all the back-stab bullshit, it's unavoidable! It feels like the broken chainsaw in Gears 1.

It takes a while to get used to, and the ones that are really skilled at it will get you real easy. Try keeping a distance and make sure you don't leave yourself open for too long. Don't use pyro/magic/miracles carelessly. What kind of weapon are you using?

It takes a while to get used to, and the ones that are really skilled at it will get you real easy. Try keeping a distance and make sure you don't leave yourself open for too long. Don't use pyro/magic/miracles carelessly. What kind of weapon are you using?

Queelaags Fury Sword +5. I was using my Lightning Claymore but it's way too slow. Thanks for the tips.

Derrick01

Banned
Furyblade beats Chaos blade every aspect. not to mention it will damages its user. Chaos only wins if you are against an enemy heavily resistant to fire damage. again, you can use another weapon, that doesnt damage yourself, instead.
Chaos is purely for show.

Yeah I'm not interested in a weapon that saps my health. I've been having enough troubles with this game after I entered Sen's fortress and I have no interest in making it worse for me.

Maybe I'll go with Chaos next game after I know my way around everything.

What does the red down arrow mean when it's displayed under your health/stamina? I am in Demon Ruins and it's appeared. Weapon/armour is fully repaired etc. any ideas?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What does the red down arrow mean when it's displayed under your health/stamina? I am in Demon Ruins and it's appeared. Weapon/armour is fully repaired etc. any ideas?
Something, whether it's a talisman or catalyst or random piece of armor, has been damaged and has little or no durability. Might hit up a bonfire and check again to be sure.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Sorry to hear that, friend. If you're on PS3 add me, I might be able to help out sometime farming and can also help with any rare weapons you want/need.

Surreal_Blue

EDIT: Apologies for dp, on my phone and meant to edit this into my last one.

Thanks, but my main is in AL already on NG+ so I'll be able to farm them well enough on my own. And I've arranged to borrow the rare weapons I need once I've done all the other trophies.

Sullichin

Even in PVE it's fine, just put on a Ring of the Evil Eye if it really bugs you. I've used it exclusively through NG+++ with zero issue. It's only bad if the user sucks and gets hit a lot.

Next you'll be telling me Hiltless in Demon's was useless because of the HP loss (hint: it's not).

EDIT: Oh, and Power Within is terribad. You can't control the HP loss unlike you can with a Chaos Blade (you can BS/Riposte with no HP loss if necessary or not hit them in PVE until you heal) and it lasts way long. You'll burn through your Flasks quick in PVE and get kited to death in PVP. It's bad.
If you use an unupgraded pyro flame, the HP loss is less than when using a fully upgraded pyro flame. Additionally, you can use the lingering dragoncrest ring to increase the duration of power within but NOT the total HP loss - so you lose it at a slower rate. The HP loss is pretty minimal under these conditions. It's not bad. I haven't really used it in any of my builds, but it can be quite powerful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bBKtlY1LH4

in demons, there's a ring for HP regen, even then I dont bother with using hitless, I rock with Uchigatana.
Nobody wouldnt use powerwithin for entire runthrough, its designed for bosses only. you will need to Estus if you get hit, therefore that 1% HP loss per sec is negligible.
Using Chaos entire game is like using powerwithin entire game, but with less damage output.
like I said Chaos is purely for show.

Hell nah Chaos isn't purely for show. It's the best katana in the game. I like keeping one off hand in my dex build if I get invaded, the bleed build up is excellent and you can easily cause bleed through shields, its attacks are fast, and you don't lose health with riposte/backstabs. Even in PVE it's fine, you'll lose a bit of health in between bonfires but it cuts like butter. Love that weapon

Jarlaxle

Thanks for all the help yesterday with Seath the Scaleless section. I was able to get the Moonlight Greatsword on my third try.

Then I just went human, summoned someone for help and wrecked Seath. Now I guess it's on to New Londo Ruins. I'm thinking about maybe trying to see if I can summon someone from the beginning of this level to help with the ghosts. We'll see.

krakov

Thanks for all the help yesterday with Seath the Scaleless section. I was able to get the Moonlight Greatsword on my third try.

Then I just went human, summoned someone for help and wrecked Seath. Now I guess it's on to New Londo Ruins. I'm thinking about maybe trying to see if I can summon someone from the beginning of this level to help with the ghosts. We'll see.

Tip: you can't summon in New Londo Ruins right away, you need to trigger an event in that area first. Should be fairly obvious once you do. Most signs are right at the start or in the circle area between the bridges. There are usually a few right at the fog door as well though.

Jarlaxle

Tip: you can't summon in New Londo Ruins right away, you need to trigger an event in that area first. Should be fairly obvious once you do. Most signs are right at the start or in the circle area between the bridges. There are usually a few right at the fog door as well though.

Figures. The first time I was thinking about co-oping a level with someone. Oh well, solo as usual. Two more hours until my son goes down for a nap and I can play.

Chaos Blade is legit. I thought it was a joke weapon at first, but if you have 40 DEX and 10 humanity it has around 450 attack power (BKGA is about 580 for reference). And it's all pure physical damage. Since it attacks so fast the damage per second is probably among the best in the game.

Compared to an Uchigatana+15, it has higher attack power, longer range, more durability, and attacks slightly faster. The drawback is that it can't be buffed.

I have done Demon Ruins and now I am in Lost Izalith. I saw the "Onion Kinght" and he gave me a ring, and I found a Red Titanite Slab, hazah!

Also, I created a short cut between two areas (had to kill a Demon Titanite), and then I fought an NPC, Solaire of Astora! I thought he were friends!?

Anyway, off to this boss, should get my final Vessel soul, then it's clean up and finish my first play through the game!!

Derrick01

Banned
Ugh I got knocked off a ledge by one of those pink demons in anor londo while trying to recover my body.

40k souls gone, my biggest hit yet :(

So I was starting a new character, STR/2H based for once. Took down taurus demon in two plunges, felt pretty good about myself. Then I ran across the bridge and figured I should take the black knight there just because. I got him on the second try by chain backstabbing... and the Black Knight Greatsword drops! Not only that, but I've found 4 twinkling titanite already so I can get started on upgrading it. Just need a bit more dexterity for it.

Then I went to pick up the longbow and the elite knight set and then took down Havel without a scratch. Now I'll just do some more coop in parish so I can use the new sword and then I'll feel pretty badass.

2AdEPT

Figures. The first time I was thinking about co-oping a level with someone. Oh well, solo as usual. Two more hours until my son goes down for a nap and I can play.

Don't let the ghosts scare you! They only hit hard when they gank you..watch put for stun lock!!!!!.its all about taking your time and getting them one at time....I never had patience for this when you eventually get to an enclosed area ....just sprinted through...its tough when you don't know where you are going, but a couple deaths will be enough to know where to go.

Ugh I got knocked off a ledge by one of those pink demons in anor londo while trying to recover my body.

40k souls my biggest hit yet :(

although most wold say "meh" because that's just one co-op or 10 minutes of time spent, and most of us that don't like leveling too much have easily lost 200k plus many times over, if you were plannng for something at the blacksmith it can be real frustrating for sure...

40k souls gone, my biggest hit yet :(

I lost about the same in the same spot. You won't care in 5 mins when you see how much the Silver Knights give you, and how many there are of them :)

Derrick01

Banned
I lost about the same in the same spot. You won't care in 5 mins when you see how much the Silver Knights give you, and how many there are of them :)

Is that those two bastards that try to snipe me from a billion miles away? I was able to sprint past them and make it to the one on the left but I got knocked off, that's why I was making my way there to begin with before I slipped up and fell again.

So I was starting a new character, STR/2H based for once. Took down taurus demon in two plunges, felt pretty good about myself. Then I ran across the bridge and figured I should take the black knight there just because. I got him on the second try by chain backstabbing... and the Black Knight Greatsword drops! Not only that, but I've found 4 twinkling titanite already so I can get started on upgrading it. Just need a bit more dexterity for it.

Then I went to pick up the longbow and the elite knight set and then took down Havel without a scratch. Now I'll just do some more coop in parish so I can use the new sword and then I'll feel pretty badass.

That sounds cool. What does STR/2H mean? Strength and?

Jarlaxle

Is that those two bastards that try to snipe me from a billion miles away? I was able to sprint past them and make it to the one on the left but I got knocked off, that's why I was making my way there to begin with before I slipped up and fell again.

Go toward the one on the right and then back off once you get him to pull out his sword instead of projectile. If you back away, he will most likely fall to his death and then you can push forward. There's a bonfire really close after that.

Awesome, might try that myself once I am done. What character type and item did you go for? And are you just putting everything into STR, nothing in health or stamina?

Nah they are inside the building. There is a bonfire right after the archers btw :)

Awesome, might try that myself once I am done. What character type and item did you go for? And are you just putting everything into STR, nothing in health or stamina?

Bandit and master key. Currently I'm spending most at endurance so I can carry more and swing that thing around. Once I'm at a decent level I'll get STR up to at least 40 to improve the damage.

Derrick01

Banned
Go toward the one on the right and then back off once you get him to pull out his sword instead of projectile. If you back away, he will most likely fall to his death and then you can push forward. There's a bonfire really close after that.

Yeah I eventually pulled it off by pure luck. He actually followed me up the path without falling but I was able to run to the other one and for whatever reason the 1st sniper stopped and pulled out his bow. When I got behind the 2nd sniper he went melee and the 1st one couldn't hit me behind the wall so I was able to finish them both off on a daring melee duel on the ledges.

Definitely the part of the game I hate the most so far.

Marco1

This arrived this morning in the post and would really appreciate some quick-fire tips on how to play.
What is the best class for a new player and were should I spend any points in building my character?
Thanks.

Well today sucked in a kind of an amazing way.

I made my way through the Catacombs until a message on the ground said "Boss ahead" I checked and, sure enough, big foggy door. I realized that there's been enough time since the last bonfire that I probably missed one and I should really go and find it to refresh my estus flasks and make my route back easier after my very probable defeat. I don't know what's coming, so thinking I'm gonna beat this on my first try would be silly.

I run back and find approximately a million new routes I didn't find before, killing armies of skeletons and one of those huge lightning-shooting demons while I'm at it. None of the paths led to a bonfire. On my trip I used 2 of my remaining 3 estus flasks. So, kind of pissed off, I go back to the boss door with my accumulated 30k souls (That's 2 upgrade points for me currently) I'm like eh, fuck it, I'm just gonna die here and rage for two weeks before I pick this game up again.

Then the boss is absolutely pisseasy. I'm not even sure how one could lose to this boss because it didn't do anything, and when it did it was so obvious that an attack is coming that you'd need to be blind AND deaf to get hit with it. After a brief moment of yayness from my victory, I get anxious again because I've realized that I'm still not seeing a bonfire anywhere, but I now have even more souls. Making my way onwards, I'm now in a completely dark area with huge hard-hitting skeletons and only one estus flask to rely on.

Long story short, the feeling I got when I finally saw that bonfire was amazing.

Also, is Tomb of the Giants supposed to be the worst place in the world to navigate or am I missing a flashlight or something?

Dresden

I once had a gravelord dude with a twohanded fire bonewheel as my main weapon. It's strong if you manage to catch people but you are pretty much begging for a backstab if the opponent knows whats up. Still a fun "weapon".

Well, yeah. :p At this point I'm really tired of the usual 'good weapons,' though.

Jarlaxle

Yeah I eventually pulled it off by pure luck. He actually followed me up the path without falling but I was able to run to the other one and for whatever reason the 1st sniper stopped and pulled out his bow. When I got behind the 2nd sniper he went melee and the 1st one couldn't hit me behind the wall so I was able to finish them both off on a daring melee duel on the ledges.

Definitely the part of the game I hate the most so far.

That was my least favorite part of the game as well so far. I haven't experienced anything remotely as cheap as that area again so far.

So, I just beat New Londo Ruins. Beat the 4 Kings on my first try solo with only 4 estus flasks. I think my magic is really strong now. Although having the moonlight greatsword helped fighting the ghosts. I could take out two or three if they were close enough with one swing. Very satisfying.

Now I kind of don't know what to do next. I guess I could go into the catacombs next and Tomb of Giants after that but I'm really dreading doing that part. The only other option for me left is to go back down into Blighttown and to the Demon's Ruins and onward to Lost Izaleth, right? What would you guys reccomend I do first?

I did not know this :| I got a ton of them and threw some away. Have to try it now.

Derrick01

Banned
Oh god this boss fight. They want me to fight 2 guys that can destroy me pretty quickly? Come on man :lol

I even tried co-op for the first time and the person I was with was decently strong but I got wrecked within a minute of the fight.

It's a tough fight. Try using a strong shield to block Ornstein's attacks, roll to avoid Smough's, and make sure you know where both of them are at all times.

If you got the lightning spear from Sen's Fortress, that works really well for killing Smough first.

2AdEPT

This arrived this morning in the post and would really appreciate some quick-fire tips on how to play.
What is the best class for a new player and were should I spend any points in building my character?
Thanks.

Hey marco, are you an action RPGer? Have you played Demon's souls first? These are all things that would help us help you, but I will assume you are completely fresh for now. The most important thing is that you try your best to do it on your own. The rewards in this game come mostly from the feeling of achievement you get for overcoming difficult, but fair and very doable odds. I really love the souls series for its combat....easily the best ARPG combat out there...but mixed with the ability to explore, like in Skyrim, the souls experienced is 2nd to none for people that like this kind of stuff. Also, this series has won awards for having the best mulitplayer aspect to any game, and I agree wholeheartedly. DOn't shy aaway from learnign how to play with others invading your world and wathc out for signs on the ground that you can use to summon help. Many on this site will play with you if you need help.

Unless you know for sure you wantto be a faith based, magic, or melee player at the start, its easy to change your stats to fit wahtever playstyle is your liking so your strting choice of player won't limt you too much regardless....the only thing not to do is be a jack of all trades as you pretty much need to specialize in either strength or dex, and magic or faith...you can merge these to a point to get certain weapons working, but for the most part choose a playstyle you want and stick to it earlier in the game....but you have some time to decide. Don't put any points in resistance...its useless. I suggest starting as a pyro as it will give you a glove at the start, and definitely take the master key as a gift, (unless you opt for goign thief in which case you get the master key automatically.) It will give you access to areas sooner than you would normally, and makes the exploring aspect of the game much easier.

AS far as points...you should put points in vitality (max 50) or endurance (max 40) you can go less vitality based on your attack power, but endurnace is pretty much mandatory for all players no matter what theri playstyle preference. The rest accents what weapons you can hold without penalty....but again, choose between strength or dex; magic or faith. You can be pure strength, magic, faith, or dex, bt as far as hybrids, one fighting style one magic style is enough diversity.....pyro is a decent alternative to both magic or faith and melle strength or dex characters can then still have some projectile abilities as well. Pyro scales not with points in your stats but with souls spending, so there is no penalty for trying it out early and switching to something else later...that's why i recommended it for you if you are new. There is a covenant that you can join early on if you wish that will enable you to get reall powerful with pyro real early....if you wish.

If you like challenging punishing (but intelligent and fair) combat my suggetion to you is to explore every where possible beofre making choice on which bosses to clear. Clearing a boss gives you souls and can unlock new areas, but eliminated your hance to host PVP events in that area.....I wish i would have realized the implicationsof this my first playthrough as I love the multiplayer. PLease keep in mind that although some people belive that there is a preferred path to go through bosses, this is not the case at all and although some levels typically punish new players harder than others, all levels are doable a tlow stat points with teh proper strategy...whenthere is a will there is away ...alwasy rememebr this and don't shy away from an area just becuse an enemy is tough....all the enemies are tough.....some more than others, but you can run by a lot of them and get to the next area without engaging most of the time.

You can use wikis to a degree, to figure out how stuff works etc. but limit yourself if you can and experience the rich and detailed world you are now entering....man do I wish I had the opportunity for these virgin experiences more often!!!!

Ask specific questions....one spoiler I will give you off the bat to help with your loot situation....you start in a palce called firelink....
search every nook and cranny in there before moving on...there are quite a few items to find even before you start fighting enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom