• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

Chaos is stronger if humanity is not an issue for you.
Unless you face an enemy resistant to fire....PVE is ok except for ceaseless, centipede, queelag, ....perhaps a few others ...firesage? ......but for PVP most players have fire resistant armour vs. lightning repellant....I may be missing it, but is there really a good armour that both stops metal and lightning?...not really unless I missed it. So it is a tougher decision than just max power potential. Easy fix...carry a maxed lighting and maxed chaos at all times....and it is possible to get a non elemental maxed as well id you get lucky farming (or glitch ovf course)... but most don't have much game left at and feel powerful enough without perfection by that point.

Just fought someone in The Depths (NPC Invader), Knight Kirk, and he dropped a Barbed Straight Sword. Looks and feels sweet, might upgrade it a bit, although I wasn't intended to get any embers other than the Large one to create all the boss weapons for the final trophy in NG++

I am still tempted to start the game again afterwards and going for a 50 INT build, some of the magic is awesome and I haven't used it at all.
Rare drop (only three chances to get it per playthrough and I was lucky enough to get it while trying this myself...... so keep it and consider doing an AUTHENTIC Kirk toon character......I eventually rose both the sword and the shield to +4 lightning and break role for fights like Orn and SMU where my chaos great scythe is the boss shit (an sort of still prickly) but its fun to do co-op and get multiple bows for at least wearing the ENTIRE thorn outfit wen summoned.

Yeah gottahave a go at magic at least once....the great sword of moonlight/moonlight greatsword is the signature sword for FROM software...they even have "moonlight packs" for their other non-sword games(AC5)...but you can tell where their heart is.
Update: Warning profanity incoming.
lol your opinion is not unpopular, and it is an opinion that is allowed, I just like to throw alternative possible reactions out there.....;p

Yeah I guess I can't rag on you becuase I bought the hardcover guide and although used it sparingly, that, plus being a multiple playthrough demon's nut made me impervious to all these complaints....did I feel like throwing my controller at times...yes, but because this was expected it really wasn't worth swearing over, and certianly not worth wrecking expensive equipment...I really wanted to go too fast and could have perfected my strategy....Blighttown is a breeze if you do it right:
listed in orderof importance:

• get the mosses both purple kinds up to at least 10 for purple, 3-4 for blooming purple....surely if you explored enough at the start of the game coming accross these items and reading their use would enable you to figure out what they are for....of course blighttown swamp is next to impossible( if you have no experience) without these...this is FROM pretty much demanding that you try their "open world" idea and explore at the start. This is not unforgiveable....this is what die hard fans of demon's asked of FROM when they wanted feedback aboutwhat to do for Dark; to make it even better.
  • get the rusted ring from Firelink revisited (that crow reminded me of the one from Demon's so I made sure to go back ASAP and did this immediately after gargoyles my first playthrough.) The ring allows you to roll in water.
  • Wear good poison resist gear...your pyro gear isnt't bad....but you can find good poison gear to change into while exploring.

• wait until you kill queelag to search the swamp whihc measn using the mater key and goign backward through the ass of blighttown.........it enables you to acquire better gear..... see below...that set enables you to do many things, high poison resist is one of them.
Your other questions were answered well enough, but since you asked about armour....
the gold hemmed set is one quick run through the first fog door in demon's ruins. Enter fog and when you take the item at the endof the path you will be faced with a decision to fight for your life, run, glitch, or simply homeward out....bring a homeward bone...I did, got cheap and decided to run, (only so that I woudl be closer to the door when I died in order ot get my souls back) stumbled on a glitch and saved a bone, and cleared the pre-boss. This in turnenabled me to get a couple embers way earlier than I would have noramlly on a first game experience by doign similar tactics

Most say it is impossible ot figure out all this stuff yourself without guides etc. I disagree...the only thing that stopped me from holding back and doing it myself was the community aspect here...wanted to keep up to speed..which was lightning....yoshi stayed up three days did he not? ;p The next souls game will be done by me with virtually zero help (glitch and mechanics stuff excepted)....and I will discover these things on my own...its just too fun part of the game......love the community here, like guides....... love the thrill of virgin runs MORE.

Soulhouf

Unless you face an enemy resistant to fire....PVE is ok except for ceaseless, centipede, queelag, ....perhaps a few others ...firesage? ......but for PVP most players have fire resistant armour vs. lightning repellant....I may be missing it, but is there really a good armour that both stops metal and lightning?...not really unless I missed it. So it is a tougher decision than just max power potential. Easy fix...carry a maxed lighting and maxed chaos at all times....and it is possible to get a non elemental maxed as well id you get lucky farming (or glitch ovf course)... but most don't have much game left at and feel powerful enough without perfection by that point.

True. But for some reason, chaos does more damage even to enemies supposed to be more resistant to fire than lightning.
Black Knights for example. I tested both lightning Claymore+5 and Chaos Claymore+5 on them and the chaos version always did more damage.

There are a few exception like enemies in Demon's Ruins and Lost Izalith so always carry lightning and chaos on you in PvE and switch depending on the situation but in PvP you can't go wrong with chaos. Besides most people use lightning so...

Update: Warning profanity incoming
Blighttown is one of my favourite areas despite the framerate drop, and is easy as pie once you get the ring from your
trip back to the Undead Asylum, a quick journey that is also needed for entry to another later area

People always want help with Queelag, and there have been many times where I've basically solo'd her whilst the host and a glitchy Mildred stand in the corner and watch.

I admit I completely bypass the front entrance to Blighttown now, from memory there's nothing there really worth making the journey for unless you want the Eagle shield (these days I prefer a shield that parries even if I suck at it), and the back entrance from the Valley of Drakes makes it easy to get everything you want from the swamp very early on - ring the bell, pyro, forest merchant, great hollow, ash lake. In fact, I would imagine many first entered Blighttown from that direction.

Robot Pants

I admit I completely bypass the front entrance to Blighttown now, from memory there's nothing there really worth making the journey for unless you want the Eagle shield (these days I prefer a shield that parries even if I suck at it), and the back entrance from the Valley of Drakes makes it easy to get everything you want from the swamp very early on - ring the bell, pyro, forest merchant, great hollow, ash lake. In fact, I would imagine many first entered Blighttown from that direction.

Exactly. Me too. Ever since my first playthrough I've never gone back through the main entrance of Blighttown. Always go the back way straight the swamp, because like you said the only thing that is worth getting (subjective) is the Eagle shield.

Soulhouf

There are actually some very good reasons to go to Blighttown through the main path, depending on your build of course:
- Iaito
- Power within
- Eagle shield

Because of that I never took the shortcut (except the very first time when I didn't know what I was doing). Power within alone makes the journey there really worth it.

Mxrz

Yep. Iaito and Power Within make it worth while. Eventually you'll know the place well enough to just blitz through it either from the top or the bottom. Top is a little easier since you won't have three-thousand mosquitoes chasing you and killing the framerate.

Beat the Stray Demon at sl-8 like a boss. Then ran back and was savagely murdered by the fire dredglings. Oops. Think I'll see how far I can go in NG before leveling up more. Four Kings seems the likely roadblock.

Lautrec and Petrus have some really creepy dialog about Rhea. "Right now, you could do as you please with her. The poor little purebred is entirely helpless.
Keh heh heh heh…
- Never noticed that before. Or that you can meet Patches in the catacombs. First time I've seen him there working the bridge lever.

Zertez

While Blighttown isnt my favorite area, I dont hate it as much as some other places in the game. Now that I know the area and where the useful items are, I can run through quick and then come back when I get the rusted iron ring to clean up.

Never used either the Iaito or power within, but my main weapon has always been an Uchigatana, so I guess I should at least look at the Iaito. The jump is one of those few in the game that makes me use a ring of sacrifice, just in case!

Previously I'd read the Iaito and Washing pole have little benefits over an Uchi, but I've seen loads of PvP videos where they use the Washing pole upgraded, the extra length seems advantageous.

Zertez

The Katanas are fun to use. Each has a very unique feel and it is nice to have them all for different situations. Dark Souls does a good job of making most weapons feel and swing differently.

I took my level 12 Claw wielder to Blighttown to purchase, well, the Claw. I saved up and bought a second one just for fun, but it kind of sucks that you can't actually use both at once. But I'm switching one out for the shield and one for the sorcery wand so I can run around looking awesome.

Then I tried running back up and get to Depths without doing Capra Demon, which was pretty much impossible on this build and without a Spider Shield. Eventually I just went back and did Capra the old-fashioned way - bringing in an OP helper. :D

Then I went to Depths to farm shards from the slimes. It's kind of fascinating how many co-op people I see when doing this low level run, and I haven't been invaded since early Parish.

zewone

Where is the main entrance to Blighttown?

I'm about to beat the game for the first time and the only entrance I ever knew was from the Master Key shortcut through the Valley of the Drakes.

Sullichin

I took my level 12 Claw wielder to Blighttown to purchase, well, the Claw. I saved up and bought a second one just for fun, but it kind of sucks that you can't actually use both at once. But I'm switching one out for the shield and one for the sorcery wand so I can run around looking awesome.

Then I tried running back up and get to Depths without doing Capra Demon, which was pretty much impossible on this build and without a Spider Shield. Eventually I just went back and did Capra the old-fashioned way - bringing in an OP helper. :D

Then I went to Depths to farm shards from the slimes. It's kind of fascinating how many co-op people I see when doing this low level run, and I haven't been invaded since early Parish.

You would have been frustrated if you made it to the beginning of Blighttown, as you can't open the door to the depths from that side.

krakov

Just had one of my scariest encounters ever in this game.

A friend and I are trying to build some Dark Souls in Minecraft, so here I'm just strolling around the Undead Parish church looking at some details when suddenly I see a red figure heading my way. While I was hanging around in my since long cleaned out world a black phantom tower knight had spawned and caught me completely off guard. Unfortunately it died (with the gravelord) while I was running away from it, still scared me pretty damn good.

Spent most of the evening farming titanite chunks in New Londo Ruins, as well as a ton of chunks, I also bagged 4 slabs, about 30 dragon scales (using bonfire between forest and valley of drakes as my homeward bone point) and countless Dark Hands. Every time I got one I felt cheated out of a slab!

I wasn't paying attention throughout, but I did happen to notice that one Darkwraith dropped 2 chunks, I don't know how common that is, but I didn't see it happen for the rest of the session.

Zertez

Spent most of the evening farming titanite chunks in New Londo Ruins, as well as a ton of chunks, I also bagged 4 slabs, about 30 dragon scales (using bonfire between forest and valley of drakes as my homeward bone point) and countless Dark Hands. Every time I got one I felt cheated out of a slab!

I wasn't paying attention throughout, but I did happen to notice that one Darkwraith dropped 2 chunks, I don't know how common that is, but I didn't see it happen for the rest of the session.
They drop 2 chunks on occasions, but it doesnt happen often. With 410 IDR, I think I saw one dropping a couple chunks every few runs. I max out chunks pretty often when farming slabs. I seem to get about 70 chunks for every slab. Did you happen to find a regular Ghost Blade? Not the Jagged one, but the dagger version. In my experience, outside of slabs, the regular Ghost Blade is one of the rarest things in the game. Some dont even know it exists.

Zertez

I'm one of them :S

Now I have something else to farm!
It is a solid dagger. It has one of the highest pure damage for a dagger when fully upgraded, but it doesnt get any bonus from dex. It does get a small bonus from str like most other daggers though. You can still get some nice backstabs with it using non dex builds and hornet ring. I dropped one for a friend the other day and he said he had never seen one in his 5 playthroughs.

Mxrz

You'll always have dual Uchi's in Demon's. Very annoying.

The dupe glitch pretty much makes pve optional. Being able to dupe 99 humanity and feed it to frampt for 99,000 souls a pop is basically infinite souls. Between that and the bb glitch, you could make a new pvp character inside of 10-15 minutes. That is kind of handy. I might redo my strength character, since it was only up to Anor Londo.

You'll always have dual Uchi's in Demon's. Very annoying.

The dupe glitch pretty much makes pve optional. Being able to dupe 99 humanity and feed it to frampt for 99,000 souls a pop is basically infinite souls. Between that and the bb glitch, you could make a new pvp character inside of 10-15 minutes. That is kind of handy. I might redo my strength character, since it was only up to Anor Londo.

isn't that dragon head glitch thing way faster?

2AdEPT

True. But for some reason, chaos does more damage even to enemies supposed to be more resistant to fire than lightning.
Black Knights for example. I tested both lightning Claymore+5 and Chaos Claymore+5 on them and the chaos version always did more damage.
There are a few exception like enemies in Demon's Ruins and Lost Izalith so always carry lightning and chaos on you in PvE and switch depending on the situation but in PvP you can't go wrong with chaos. Besides most people use lightning so...
I prefer chaos to be honest.....your observation is one more reason I guess....chaos great scythe is just boss and is still my all time favourite weapon.....I don't feel sorry for TOG complainants when that weaon is available in catacombs and basically rolls over the dogs in one combo before they even have a chance to attack.....don't even think it has to be maxed!

There are actually some very good reasons to go to Blighttown through the main path, depending on your build of course:
- Iaito
- Power within
- Eagle shield

Because of that I never took the shortcut (except the very first time when I didn't know what I was doing). Power within alone makes the journey there really worth it.

I still prefer to go backward through blighttown even when getting the loot at the front door as it is waaaay too fun to wear slumbering dragoncrest ring and backstab all those zombie shits.
Never used either the Iaito or power within, but my main weapon has always been an Uchigatana, so I guess I should at least look at the Iaito. The jump is one of those few in the game that makes me use a ring of sacrifice, just in case!

Previously I'd read the Iaito and Washing pole have little benefits over an Uchi, but I've seen loads of PvP videos where they use the Washing pole upgraded, the extra length seems advantageous.

I am just about finished my dex/faith darkmoon build and for teh +15 weapon wanted to go katakna as I have rearely used them....although the Iato was my first choice, the washing pole's reach, plus that it has higher base damage despite lower scaling in DEX (which was not a big factor on my faith/dex hybrid) left me with the washing pole as the choice for the slab...h0o[pefully have sigermayers slab coming soon or maybe will farm in new londo.....see will see, but so far loving the pole.....can one shot giants in anor londo by dropping on their head form the archer stairs.

Akainu

So I was summoned to punish the guilty in Anor Londo and got stuck on the balcony after the archers. Is the only way to get out to restart the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I was summoned to punish the guilty in Anor Londo and got stuck on the balcony after the archers. Is the only way to get out to restart the game.
Check your inventory for a homeward bone?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sure....

The problem is restarting the game won't usually work. Did it for you? You might just have to die..

edit: maybe it puts you back to where you were when you were summoned, wasn't thinking about that.

Pakkidis

Update:

FINALLY got out of Blight town and made my way towards Sen's Fortress. The hardest part for me was definitly the beginning. Those thin archways with swinging blades and enemies were a bitch but aftwerwards it was mostly smooth sailing afterwards. Surprisingly the
big giant iron golem did not give me that much trouble, only died twice with him

I am now at Anor londo and fighting some big giant dudes with shields and I fought the gargoyle monster below. I love how when you first meet a new enemy how intimidating they are and then after learning their patterns you realize they are not so bad.

My biggest concern for me is my armor and weapon. I have my CLaymore at +10. I had a chance to turn it into a raw claymore but decided not to. I also have the lighting spear which I love. I like the spear more than the claymore. I'm also finding new weapons that require huge amounts of str and dex, neither of which I have. So I'm kinda feeling like I'm stuck in terms of upgrades :(

Really enjoying it the more I play and the more I understand, just glad to get out of Blight town :)

MrWisker

My biggest concern for me is my armor and weapon. I have my CLaymore at +10. I had a chance to turn it into a raw claymore but decided not to. I also have the lighting spear which I love. I like the spear more than the claymore. I'm also finding new weapons that require huge amounts of str and dex, neither of which I have. So I'm kinda feeling like I'm stuck in terms of upgrades :(

Stick with the claymore and buff it up with fire when needed. You are pretty close to a new blacksmith where you can upgrade the claymore to lightning. If you are not leveling your character a lightning claymore +5 is a beast. Be aware though of the lightning resistant boss in this level.

2AdEPT

Update:

FINALLY got out of Blight town and made my way towards Sen's Fortress. The hardest part for me was definitly the beginning. Those thin archways with swinging blades and enemies were a bitch but aftwerwards it was mostly smooth sailing afterwards. Surprisingly the
big giant iron golem did not give me that much trouble, only died twice with him

I am now at Anor londo and fighting some big giant dudes with shields and I fought the gargoyle monster below. I love how when you first meet a new enemy how intimidating they are and then after learning their patterns you realize they are not so bad.

Really enjoying it the more I play and the more I understand, just glad to get out of Blight town :)

Did you run and pick up the gold hemmed set before high-tailing out of BT? ;p

RE: armour and weapons:

Armour is more of an aesthetic preference really..unless you tank up and get silly heavy, there isn't that much difference in the armours at the same upgrade levels as far as physical protection from enemies. There are a couple sets that are non-upgradable that beat ourt most early gear, but won;t beat fully upgraded stuff. SOrta like your lightning spear though.....easy and addicitng and frees up your mind for other things. Each set has their specialty usually, like curse resist or poison. I always have a lot of peices that are particualrly high in one thing or another (poise is good to have most often) and wear what makes me look better until I need something functional. Often I will wear the robes and skirts that give me the magic protect or poison resist I need and then throw on a tank helm or guantlets for the extra poise. IN an game where getting one shot no matter what your armour is will be common, I wouldn't stress about armour as much as ensuring you are keeping your roll ability under 25%. Just upgrade a medium to ligtweight armour option as much as possible and keep your endurance levels up and you should be fine. Learning how not to get hit, even once, is a better strategy than trying to protect yourself through armour.

Weapons a re more important..these define your personality in the game. Try lots, search every nook and cranny. I also love the spears, but the lightning one you find is the weakest base spear....you cna balance the extra materials you would need ot start form scratch with just saving time and maxing that spear.....tough choice for some as most people don't like the spears as much as the swords.......but definitely max something...maxing weapons ASAP is more imporant than leveling your character. BUt you will need at least one "other" weapon for those rare enemies that are resistant to lightning...rare but you need to get a few good weapons and not just rely on one for all situations. For example, if you indeed like the claymore move set that is fine, but for whatever reason I have always preferred the Zweihander.....it was available to you just steps from Firelink into the catacombs but may have to be two handed inorder to hold without getting crazy with strength. I guess if I am going to go the heavy sword route I wouldrather have the heaviest one possible....other wise I go with medium-light to extremely light stuff exclusively.

one scenario is to keep your claymore and take it +15 - buffs can be applied for most situations but buffing can be annoying, time consuming, and takes up slots in your hotkey, and magic and miracle buffs require stats and talismans, or catalysts.

Take it lightning as some have suggested, but if you like spears and you already have the lightning spear partially upgraded, you will have more materials to upgrade oither things with....you cna always get more materials, buht it takes grindnign and time.

Try a whole new idea and upgrade your stats accordingly..chaos weaposn add fire but raise even higher damage when carrying humanity in your display, but this requires special embers and you will have ot comlplete the level you are on pretty much before branching out too far unless you get creative with travelling around and go places many suiggest not to go owing to difficulty. Many love the fast htting rapiers and katanas, making them either fire or lightning makes them hit hard AND fast. Great Scythe, lifehunt scythe, chaos blade, quelags furysword, the list goes on.....many other options to try out there each with their own move sets...the claymore is great, but I have never used it owing to its boring move set.

MrWisker

I am just about finished my dex/faith darkmoon build and for teh +15 weapon wanted to go katakna as I have rearely used them....although the Iato was my first choice, the washing pole's reach, plus that it has higher base damage despite lower scaling in DEX (which was not a big factor on my faith/dex hybrid) left me with the washing pole as the choice for the slab...h0o[pefully have sigermayers slab coming soon or maybe will farm in new londo.....see will see, but so far loving the pole.....can one shot giants in anor londo by dropping on their head form the archer stairs.

I have both a washing pole and the laito at +15 (dex / faith build) and for the life of me I was not able to warm up to the washing pole. I really think the slow R2 attack was the deal breaker. The laito on the other hand has been great with a very fast and sweeping R2 attack. But, this is a preference thing. For my PVP I usually just turn to my Chaos blade.

Snagged a third Channeler's Trident without even trying, I was just making my way to the Crystal Caves and it dropped. And finally got the tail cut off weapons from Seath and Priscilla - both firsts for me, feels good man :)

Seath's sword looks pretty great, not sure how practical it is, but it's impressive two-handed R2 attack is worth playing around with since my current character is a sorcerer.

2AdEPT

I have both a washing pole and the laito at +15 (dex / faith build) and for the life of me I was not able to warm up to the washing pole. I really think the slow R2 attack was the deal breaker. The laito on the other hand has been great with a very fast and sweeping R2 attack. But, this is a preference thing. For my PVP I usually just turn to my Chaos blade.

Yeah I will probably end up suign the chaos blade a lot for pvp as well but this char was supposed ot be Darrkmoon blade...at least for a while. I forgot to try the Uchi as well in my testing, and I did consider both the R2's as these are usually my favourite moves....I think what my brain did was imagined using the washing pole R2 a little earlier than others expect...becuase they think they are out of range.....but them coming down on them when they don't expect it. So far pracitcing on Giants in Anor Londo this method holds promise for PVP as I covered way more distance with that move than I thought would be possible and started the animation with lots of breathing room betwen me and the giant. That move has to be used from the perimeter, or it really is a waste of a move I agree.

ON a different note, is anyone out there an avelyn expert? what are the choices for upgrding it...can you use fire avelyn for example and use lightning bolts? SOme tank character pulled itout on me like a cowboy gunslinger after only showing sword, shot me as I approached for battle, then quickly holstered it and continued with his sword...the shot from the avelyn cut my health down to half before we even engaged...I only have 20 vitality, but didn't think that the avelyn was that powerful. Died after a tonne of wins as Darkmoon invader in Painted on that guy, so was thinknig I might have to try that sometime myself!!!!

Snagged a third Channeler's Trident without even trying, I was just making my way to the Crystal Caves and it dropped. And finally got the tail cut off weapons from Seath and Priscilla - both firsts for me, feels good man :)

Farming for the Trident wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it still took me 1,5 hours. It really sucked, only weapon I had to farm for the trophy, really.

ON a different note, is anyone out there an avelyn expert? what are the choices for upgrding it...can you use fire avelyn for example and use lightning bolts? SOme tank character pulled itout on me like a cowboy gunslinger after only showing sword, shot me as I approached for battle, then quickly holstered it and continued with his sword...the shot from the avelyn cut my health down to half before we even engaged...I only have 20 vitality, but didn't think that the avelyn was that powerful. Died after a tonne of wins as Darkmoon invader in Painted on that guy, so was thinknig I might have to try that sometime myself!!!!

I have encountered these too, they can be pretty devastating.

Booshka

Just had one of my scariest encounters ever in this game.

A friend and I are trying to build some Dark Souls in Minecraft, so here I'm just strolling around the Undead Parish church looking at some details when suddenly I see a red figure heading my way. While I was hanging around in my since long cleaned out world a black phantom tower knight had spawned and caught me completely off guard. Unfortunately it died (with the gravelord) while I was running away from it, still scared me pretty damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miqBtyhYqw4

Appropriate video.

Zertez

I think upgrading the Claymore to +15 instead of fire/lightning is better in the long run. At the point you can upgrade it fully to lightning or fire, souls shouldnt be a problem. You can buy resins in bulk and use them based on your needs. You will be able to use the magic buffs as well. Upgrading to fire/lightning you are locked with the choice, unless you have slabs to waste. I guess if you use the glitch or have multiple Claymores, upgrading fully to fire/lightning isnt a big deal, but going with +15 allows more flexibility for farming, pvp, co-op and pve bosses. Upgrading does to fire/lighting does allow you to be lazy, but applying resins doesnt take long at all.

Akainu

Another thing I hate about pvp is that most of the fights just turn into who can back stab someone first.

Tranquil Walk as short as it is, is surprisingly useful.

2AdEPT

Seath's sword looks pretty great, not sure how practical it is, but it's impressive two-handed R2 attack is worth playing around with since my current character is a sorcerer.

this is a great weapon. it is the signature sword of FROM software in both Demon's and Dark...in Demon's it was not so powerful but did ignore shields, here it is one of the best damagers in the game for those with high INT for sure and only requires one resistance reduction. The cool attacks are bonus. HIgh magic defense may slow it a bit though in PVP, so always have the +15 CMW back-up.

Soulhouf

I actually did experimentations on this and my conclusion is that the best choice is Lightning Avelyn + lightning bolts.
Normal +15 + heavy bolts is good too but the lightning is better.
Fire is actually weird. In fact you don't have the fire effect because fire bolts does not exist.

this is a great weapon. it is the signature sword of FROM software in both Demon's and Dark...in Demon's it was not so powerful but did ignore shields, here it is one of the best damagers in the game for those with high INT for sure and only requires one resistance reduction. The cool attacks are bonus. HIgh magic defense may slow it a bit though in PVP, so always have the +15 CMW back-up.

What's your opinion on MGS vs Claymore? Right now my Claymore is my go to weapon for PvP. Even without the sunlight buff it can combo stunlock people to death. Is the purely magic damage of the MGS enough to offset its lower attack power?

2AdEPT

I actually did experimentations on this and my conclusion is that the best choice is Lightning Avelyn + lightning bolts.
Normal +15 + heavy bolts is good too but the lightning is better.
Fire is actually weird. In fact you don't have the fire effect because fire bolts does not exist.

Cool thanks...i have it up to +10 but the added lightning will definitely do wonders then.. was worried that the lightning would cancel each other or seomthing but it appears to stack...I recall that fire was not really viable but my memory was failing. I guess I will have to go slab farming even though I BBglitched this character... two extra slabs wasn't enough! DIdn't have hte patience to go through the process with strya demon more than once, but looks like that would have saved me time in the long run.

What's your opinion on MGS vs Claymore? Right now my Claymore is my go to weapon for PvP. Even without the sunlight buff it can combo stunlock people to death. Is the purely magic damage of the MGS enough to offset its lower attack power?

Perhaps I have overlooked a really boss weapon!! Claymore stunlock may be decent but I have always gone with the knockdown power of zwei when going for this kind of build, so perhaps I did not give enough time to the CLaymore to try it out in all kinds of situations...another Stun lock weapon I have experienced is the Murakumo...on the recieiving end unfortunately.....couldn't do a thing once the guy enaged me - i was dead. I guess poise would have something to do with being stunlocked or not, but my guess is claymore and murakumo may be similar.

MGS was the only weapon I used with that magic character as I focused more on ranged magic, catalysts, talismans and the crystal ring shield before nerf....the MGS worked fine for me with that character, but I never sat down and comapred....if the claymore is stunlocking as good as murakumo it really is as boss as you guys say it is...and I missed out on a great weapon so far.

so all i do lately it seems is work up new builds. Doing one based around the demon's great hammer with enough INT for some magic buffs at the moment. Anyway so it's 2am in the morning, I'm thinking I should stop playing and go to bed, but "just one more thing..." you know. In this case thought I'd kill the hydra and rescue dusk.

Gear up for the trek, smoosh some blue golems, down to the hydra no probs, smoosh the heads off. Quit, reload, head towards the golden golem.

Hit him once, dodge, then I go into a 2-hit combo. The first hit kills the golem. the second... poor dusk :( and poor me with no cast light dammit.

I've only used the claymore on lower level PVP characters, where it has indeed been pretty excellent. MGS is the go-to PVP weapon for my pure INT build though (fire gargoyles halberd for PvE, though I'm going to replace that with a chaos one at some point). The knock-down effect is nice, good fun for punishing WOG users. But mostly I use the running slash into a quick combo, usually I find it does good damage and is nice and fast. For my money it's a better PvP weapon than it is PvE.

Mxrz

Avelyn - Yeah. Want to stack the AR. So usually you see Lighting & Lightning bolts, or +15 & Heavy bolts Honestly, I think its only useful vs people you'll probably kill anyway. I'd rather spend that weight elsewhere. -- My own general stance on weapon upgrades depends on what level I plan to stop the character at. Buffs & +15s need a heavy stat investment, so they tend to be 80+ (Not crazy about the 120 range) Lower than that I tend to go Chaos for pvp, or Lightning in pve. Buffs in PvE are just a hassle.

I beat Four Kings today on my level 8. Lots of rage. Getting close to the first King was tricky. I'm surprised the Dark Hand really does block their magic attack. That helped a bit. The last King was a real dick. Several times I would be down to the last hit, and he would do his point blank magic attack, knocking me down, and then immediately do that wide sweep attack to hit me just as I stood. Bleeegh. It was my fault for being greedy and trying to rush that last hit. But I did manage eventually. S&O was pretty hard, too. It seemed like all of their 2nd form attacks could one-shot me. I'm thinking I could do a level 1 run. Mostly what I did on this level 8 was raise strength & Dex enough to use an Uchigatana. Base stats would probably mean something like a battleaxe or longsword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom