• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not be anymore disappointed in WotG after all the hype from here and elsewhere. That shit is complete worthless online and vs offline enemies. And I'm using the Grant, which is supposed to have a stronger and larger AoE. Completely ruined my Faith Melee build getting my strength hig enough to use it. Such a disappointment.

Gwyn is a total fucker on NG+, getting my ass well and truly handed to me.

If I am lucky I can hit him with 4x Great Fireball and 4x Chaos Ball to get him down to around 50%, but the rest of the fight, forget it. Can't seem to get anywhere near him, his attacks kill my stamina instantly, and even with the stamina boosting ring it's not enough. He's a tough bastard. Tried Lightning Claymore, Fire Bastard, and Black Knight Sword +5, none of which are particularly useful in this fight.

The worst part of all is my least favourite part of Dark Souls; having to get to the boss fight from the Bonfire. it's fine if its really short and easy, but with 5 Black Knights to deal with, it's a very long process. I now kill the first two and run past the rest, but it's still annoying. I don't care that "It's the game", it's a fucking pain in the ass!

Any tips?

If I am lucky I can hit him with 4x Great Fireball and 4x Chaos Ball to get him down to around 50%, but the rest of the fight, forget it. Can't seem to get anywhere near him, his attacks kill my stamina instantly, and even with the stamina boosting ring it's not enough. He's a tough bastard. Tried Lightning Claymore, Fire Bastard, and Black Knight Sword +5, none of which are particularly useful in this fight.

The worst part of all is my least favourite part of Dark Souls; having to get to the boss fight from the Bonfire. it's fine if its really short and easy, but with 5 Black Knights to deal with, it's a very long process. I now kill the first two and run past the rest, but it's still annoying. I don't care that "It's the game", it's a fucking pain in the ass!

Any tips?

I've always used the rocky outcrop to the left of the entrance to keep between him and me. Block his sword attacks, wait for him to do the "grab" animation and that will give you enough time to get a swing in.

Any tips?

Black Knight Great Axe can stunlock Gwyn every time.

Well that was interesting.

I switched to Black Knight Great Axe +5, all of Havel's gear apart from Elite +9 helmet and Black Knight +5 leg wear, used that rocky bit and he went down very fast! I was able to hit him through the cover and the axe really chewed him up. Might keep using it now, it's rather badass.

Onto NG++!

Any tips?

I was having trouble with him on NG++ as well. Dude really fucks with your stamina. Best strategy I found is using the Artorias shield because it has 88 stability and pretty good fire resistance. Another option that sounds good on paper is a maxed out Black Iron Shield. It has 90 fire resist and 85 stability. I would stay away from the Black knight shield because Gwyn will smash through it like nothing.

For the weapon, I used the BKGA and just got in a few hits whenever I could. I only healed after he did his grab move because there's just no time otherwise (i.e. you take a swig and he immediately smacks you again and you're back where you started). Kind of curious how effective the Claymore or MGS would be. They stunlock much better than the BKGA.

Killed Gwyn for the first time, with my INT-based character (44 INT, 20 DEX/STR, wearing Dusk crown for spell boost) - Took about a minute using 6 homing crystal soul masses to kill, and didn't take a hit, lol.

has anyone tried fist builds? i really like them from an aesthetics pov, but i can't seem to make one really worth using.

also, 2 handing a shield as a weapon is so much fun. its like easy mode parrying except the damage kinda sucks.

2AdEPT

Thanks, I guess my problem is that I don't want to screw up my first real build however I realize this is impossible becuase its my first time playing. I guess I'm in the mindset of sticking to one weapon through out the whole game and I want it to be the right weapon but of course this too is impossible because you need a few weapons to beat the game.

I' have tried a few weapons already and found the ones I like so now its just a matter of building them up :).

Welp, I finally did it!!!! The boss of anor londo has fallen. Only took me 4-5 tries, each try getting closer to the end. In fact....I would say it was kinda easy.... This time I summoned Sol with me (playing offline) and he makes all the difference in the world. Before I wasn't summoning him and died close to 20-30 times but with Sol with you, everything changes.

In most boss fights the npc's are kinda useless, they are more for distraction than damage but this time Sol was a badass, in fact he took down the fat bastard by himself before I had a chance to kill the skinny one.

Just went back to the asylum and cleaned up, pretty damn easy, also a black knight dropped his sword :)...I'm feeling invincible right now :p.........
Well what weapons did you finally settle on! After all tat you gotta at least share what killed them???!?!
I was having trouble with him on NG++ as well. Dude really fucks with your stamina. Best strategy I found is using the Artorias shield because it has 88 stability and pretty good fire resistance. Another option that sounds good on paper is a maxed out Black Iron Shield. It has 90 fire resist and 85 stability. I would stay away from the Black knight shield because Gwyn will smash through it like nothing.

For the weapon, I used the BKGA and just got in a few hits whenever I could. I only healed after he did his grab move because there's just no time otherwise (i.e. you take a swig and he immediately smacks you again and you're back where you started). Kind of curious how effective the Claymore or MGS would be. They stunlock much better than the BKGA.

Nobody likes parrying anymore? I thought this was pretty much the only way to go for this dude?.....I guess by NG++ you can't use these tactics with a low grade armour weapons set and sneak past him with parries?

has anyone tried fist builds? i really like them from an aesthetics pov, but i can't seem to make one really worth using.

also, 2 handing a shield as a weapon is so much fun. its like easy mode parrying except the damage kinda sucks.

Next time I do a STR char I will try double bonewheel shield...just looks too bad ass not to try once. I've never even tried the animation yet as the y only STR character I made never got the drop!!! My dex faith gal got 3!

Pakkidis

Well what weapons did you finally settle on! After all tat you gotta at least share what killed them???!?!
!

Lol, I used the claymore +10 which was my highest damaging weapon at the time, I also had parts of havel's armor and went to town on the skinny one which very little difficulty. The large one I used a bit more caution.

I stopped using the claymore as my Black Knight sword +3 does way more damage. My str is 38 at the moment and I'm doing roughly 500 damage per swing :p

Akainu

I just invaded a person as a spirit of justice in the darkroot garden. The person was using chameleon. I noticed a tree that shouldn't have been there so I was acting cool as I approached but by the time I attacked they had cast a spell. We killed each other at the same time. XD

Sullichin

Yess just beat the game at SL1. Gwyn was giving me some trouble until I just got in the zone and wrecked him without healing using great combustion + bellowing dragoncrest ring. The biggest mistakes I make when fighting Gwyn are trying to heal when it's not safe, or I wind up playing way too defensively, dodging his attacks for way too long before trying to go for an attack/parry. Biggest problem of my SL1 run was definitely 4 kings. I thought Seath was the easiest of the lordvessel bosses for this run, Bed of Chaos was proving to be extra annoying and Nito took me a few tries.

Platinum Trophy!
180 hours in total, what a ride. Need a longish break from the game now, but will return at some point, maybe for the PC DLC (?), maybe to try out a magic based character.

So. Good.

Thanks to everyone here for all the advice over the last few months, it's been brilliant! Will be sticking about in this thread to offer any advice I can to players that might want it :)

Some final thoughts. No point in talking too much about the game as we all know its amazing, but I thought I'd share my highlights and not so highlights about the game.

Favourite Boss Fights
- Great Grey Wolf Sif
- Ornstein and Smough
Tough call for me but I loved these two the most. Sif was easy, even on NG++, but he's so badass-looking holding the sword in his mouth, and the music is epic too. Loved it. O+S are the hardest in the game for me, it's a relentless battle and you can't take your eyes of either or you're in serious trouble. Also, each of the 2nd forms are cool too, the boss fight goes on forever!
Also, I loved Quelaag.

Least favourite Boss Fight
- Bed of Chaos
Just. What. The. Fuck. Not even a boss fight as such, just an incredibly annoying dodge the holes and branches section which is just a massive, unfair, disappointment. Can't believe it made the cut.

Favourite Area
- Anor Lando
I could live here, in fact I did for many, many, many happy hours killing those bosses over and over, farming Silver Knights and taking in the view. I love the idea that the whole of Dark Souls is this abandoned world with nobody in it, but I love to think about how it might have been one day, with rooms full of people living in the beautiful city of Anor Lando. Beautiful graphically too.
Other favourites would be Sens Fortress, Dukes Archives and Undead Parish (many a good co-op fight there, and the memories from playing it over and over at the beginning are heavily engraved in my head).

Least Favourite Areas
- Tomb of the Giants
- Catacombs
- Lost Izalith
- Blighttown
Blighttown only gets a mention due to performance, other than this I quite enjoyed playing through upper and lower areas, and Quelaag is cool too. Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants were just crappy though, ToG especially with the lack of light and those crazy skeleton dogs. Catacombs also had the weakest boss in the game, which is a shame as it looked great and had fantastic music.

Boss that I never killed
- The red Dragon on the bridge.
Were you meant to? I never found a decent way of getting the git damaged.

Things I'd like to see improved in a follow up
- Bonfire consistency. Sometimes there were areas with two or three really close to each other (Demon Ruins going into Lost Izalith), whereas others went on forever without on (Sens Fortress). I think a bit more thought could have gone into the placement of those, some were quite annoying, especially around boss fights.
- Filtering and weapon/item management in inventory. I don't know about you, but I carried a lot of shit around with me, and having to cycle through pages to get to the weapon I want was a pain, having a filter, or favourites, or something, would of been great.
- Some better quality control on things like Bed of Chaos unfairness and those fucking archers in Anor Lando (which ironically only gave me problem on NG++, but fuck me they were a pain).
- Online play. I loved it, but I'd love to play some co-op with friends too, just as an option along side how it is now.
- Back stab legginess online, it was annoying!

Overall an amazing, amazing game like nothing I have played before. Need something colourful and short to play for a while now :) Then I should really crack open Skyward Sword.

oracrest

Yess just beat the game at SL1. Gwyn was giving me some trouble until I just got in the zone and wrecked him without healing using great combustion + bellowing dragoncrest ring. The biggest mistakes I make when fighting Gwyn are trying to heal when it's not safe, or I wind up playing way too defensively, dodging his attacks for way too long before trying to go for an attack/parry. Biggest problem of my SL1 run was definitely 4 kings. I thought Seath was the easiest of the lordvessel bosses for this run, Bed of Chaos was proving to be extra annoying and Nito took me a few tries.

Congrats!

Boss that I never killed
- The red Dragon on the bridge.
Were you meant to? I never found a decent way of getting the git damaged.

- Filtering and weapon/item management in inventory. I don't know about you, but I carried a lot of shit around with me, and having to cycle through pages to get to the weapon I want was a pain, having a filter, or favourites, or something, would of been great.

the red dragon, fastest way to kill him i've done is lure him down to the middle of the bridge and smack him hard and fast right in the head. i've killed him in ~2 hits that way with a lightning iato. takes some trying though.

for filtering, you know you can manually sort the equipment positions in the list? Just go to the regular inventory view and select an item, then select reorder. I basically dump everything i don't need in the bottomless box, then arrange my weapons so that the ones i regularly use are all at the top of the list in a bunch, makes it much easier to change in the middle of a fight that way. Usually move humanity up to the top of the list too.

Pakkidis

the red dragon, fastest way to kill him i've done is lure him down to the middle of the bridge and smack him hard and fast right in the head. i've killed him in ~2 hits that way with a lightning iato. takes some trying though.

for filtering, you know you can manually sort the equipment positions in the list? Just go to the regular inventory view and select an item, then select reorder. I basically dump everything i don't need in the bottomless box, then arrange my weapons so that the ones i regularly use are all at the top of the list in a bunch, makes it much easier to change in the middle of a fight that way. Usually move humanity up to the top of the list too.

Thats brilliant!!!.

Nice! Might have to give that a go some time :)

Soulhouf

Congratulations. That is an achievement.
I will soon beat the game with my SL2 cleric.

The hardest boss so far was Seath followed by Gaping Dragon whose fight took forever because my weapon was weak at the time.
4 Kings and S&O battles where intense but easy. I beat them in my first try. Needless to say that Chaos reinforced club helped much in these fights...
It took me a couple of tries to get the chaos ember though given the small amount of HP I had.

I'd love to know how people finish the game at SL1, that's amazing. Are you just upgrading armour and weapons? I assume you are unsuitable for most weapons though due to their level requirements?

Congrats!

Soulhouf

I'd love to know how people finish the game at SL1, that's amazing. Are you just upgrading armour and weapons? I assume you are unsuitable for most weapons though due to their level requirements?

Congrats!

Yes and yes. Basically at SL1 pyro/SL2 cleric you have a very limited choice of weapons to use. So the way to go is choose the most powerful you can use (reinforced club) and upgrade it elemental.

Hmm I am really tempted to start a fresh build very soon and go magic route. I saw a video with a guy using Homing something, and lightning spears etc. He was level 54. There are different types of magic aren't there? Miracles etc?

I went Pyro and STR.

2AdEPT

jusgt a bout ready to lose it. That's two playthroughs in a row that I have not been able to open the shortcut door in the tunnel next to firesage. The first time I went in and out of the covenant so may have got confused about how many humanity I gave but this last time no way... I gave at least 30 and I even attained rank 3 in the covenenant and the friggin door did not budge : "locked by some contraption." All the stuff onlne says is about goign to tthe wrong door etc. so waht gives... Am I bugged?

Soulhouf

I didn't read much talk about it but one of my contacts told me something that fascinated me.

In the Duke's Archives, when you exit the prison, if you look at the sky, you can see a curious black thing.
Use your binoculars and you'll see clearly a door in the sky.
I checked out and indeed there is a door there.
What the fuck is a door doing in the sky? It's a total mystery.

I will post a photo of it later.
Did someone else see it?

Haven't been following EpicNameBros videos on this game since the release window so I just stumbled upon his lore videos. Pretty interesting stuff if you have nerdish interest in it like me.

Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxz4rLqWBe4&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZuAgUAQGQs&

Yeah, I really like all of his Dark Souls vids. Very entertaining.

I just love the lore in this game. It's so fascinating. I actually kind of like that there isn't some huge story in the game and that details of characters and lore are just kind of implied.

Akainu

I still don't get how gravelord curses work. Do they tell you when you are cursed or do you only get a message when the servant is killed? And do Black spirits only appear in places you didn't beat the boss?

Hmm I am really tempted to start a fresh build very soon and go magic route. I saw a video with a guy using Homing something, and lightning spears etc. He was level 54. There are different types of magic aren't there? Miracles etc?

I went Pyro and STR.
theres pyromancy, sorcery, and miracles. homing soulmass is sorcery and tied to intelligence. lightning spear is miracles and tied to faith, and pyromancy is not tied to anything. pyro is great, because it allows you to spend your points on dex for faster casts, and attunement for more spells slots, while still having good vitality/endurance. i don't know about combining sorcery and faith in one build due to the disparity of stat distribution. i guess if you want to make a greatsword of artorias build it would be necessary.

Sullichin

Congratulations. That is an achievement.
I will soon beat the game with my SL2 cleric.

The hardest boss so far was Seath followed by Gaping Dragon whose fight took forever because my weapon was weak at the time.
4 Kings and S&O battles where intense but easy. I beat them in my first try. Needless to say that Chaos reinforced club helped much in these fights...
It took me a couple of tries to get the chaos ember though given the small amount of HP I had.

Congrats!

I actually never bothered getting the chaos ember. I was planning on it but then decided I didn't want to worry about humanity/getting back to my blood stain. I used a regular reinforced club +5 through depths/blighttown, then made it a fire reinforced club which got me through Sen's, and then made a lightning hand axe in Anor Londo. Spent my souls on upgrading my weapon, armor, and pyro glove, and on consumables. For armor I used the pyro set, elite knights set, gold hemmed (used this one the most), ornstein's, and even tanked a bit in full havels (Nito). Used FAP ring and switched the one in the other slot frequently depending on the situation, ie cursebite ring for Seath, bellowing dragoncrest, dark wood grain. Crest shield or grass crest shield when I used a shield which wasn't often. A low level character can still be more than powerful enough to go through the whole game. Knowing the game well helps, I've gotten very good at running past enemies and difficult sections entirely. The first bonfire of Dukes, the second bonfire of ToTG -> Nito, the knights before Gwyn.. these sections are all way easier when you can run through them. Killed every boss except for Priscilla and Gwyndolin. i didn't have the ring for gwyndolin and didn't feel like going back, and I just forgot about Priscilla. Now that I think about it I guess I left moonlight butterfly alone too.
I could have made things harder by limiting myself to melee only and with no fap ring, but I'm happy with this accomplishment for now. It's more fun to play as a character that has more options available. I loaded up an SL102 mage character in NG++ afterwards and had some fun invading in blighttown and co-opping, I was pleased to see how active the online was at that level in just about every area I tried.

Soulhouf

Here it is:

584064390_eea099e0708b1de4be7456518f48d5b9_4fba7.jpg

krakov

I still don't get how gravelord curses work. Do they tell you when you are cursed or do you only get a message when the servant is killed? And do Black spirits only appear in places you didn't beat the boss?

Apparently you don't get a message when you get cursed, but get one when the gravelord dies. You can be hollow/human and have the boss alive or not, it doesn't matter. Only thing important is that the gravelord has the boss alive and is human.

There, just finished NG+ for the first time. Got the "evil" ending this time so that trophy is taken care of. Now I just need the rare weapons trophy.

I found a Solaire clone in New Londo Ruins so I grabbed him for 4K. Unfortunately we were ambushed near the boss room. On the second attempt, I managed to find him again and figured we should be fine with just the two of us. Then I spotted another phantom inside the ruins... and it turned out to be Lautrec, although with other weapons. :D

Solaire died during the fight but I managed to take the last one down with Lautrec. Then I moved on to Kiln, summoned two random guys who were probably waiting for PVP, and spanked Gwyn rather easily.

There, just finished NG+ for the first time. Got the "evil" ending this time so that trophy is taken care of. Now I just need the rare weapons trophy.

I found a Solaire clone in New Londo Ruins so I grabbed him for 4K. Unfortunately we were ambushed near the boss room. On the second attempt, I managed to find him again and figured we should be fine with just the two of us. Then I spotted another phantom inside the ruins... and it turned out to be Lautrec, although with other weapons. :D

Solaire died during the fight but I managed to take the last one down with Lautrec.
Then I moved on to Kiln, summoned two random guys who were probably waiting for PVP, and spanked Gwyn rather easily.

Huh? Lautrec and his two pals don't show up in New Londo.

theres pyromancy, sorcery, and miracles. homing soulmass is sorcery and tied to intelligence. lightning spear is miracles and tied to faith, and pyromancy is not tied to anything. pyro is great, because it allows you to spend your points on dex for faster casts, and attunement for more spells slots, while still having good vitality/endurance. i don't know about combining sorcery and faith in one build due to the disparity of stat distribution. i guess if you want to make a greatsword of artorias build it would be necessary.

Interesting, thanks. It was Great Soul Arrow and Homing Soul Mass that interested me. Might go for an Intelligence build. This video made me badly want this route: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcBoMy7wXeo&feature=player_embedded#!

Huh? Lautrec and his two pals don't show up in New Londo.

No, but players who happen to wear their exact gear may :)

Something strange happened as I was running back from Firelink one of the tries. I found an item bag in the area where Lautrec and the Fire Keeper are, containing a single Prismatic Stone. Weird, as you can't have phantoms in Firelink and I certainly didn't drop one there myself.

Just summoned someone and they dumped a ton of stuff - 99 divine blessings, 99 of various boss souls, some pendants, and kinds of stuff, lol.

I was hoping for some slabs, but didn't want to bite the hand that feeds!

Mxrz

I wish people would do that for me. I got where I toss our humanity regularly. But I never get stuff in return! /sob.

Making a great club user. Fun stuff. Strength weapons are kind of boned by the weigh, too.

So if I use the soul of the moonlight butterfly will it turn it into souls? Or give me the option to turn it into one of those weapons or souls? I'm afraid to use it.

Sullichin

So if I use the soul of the moonlight butterfly will it turn it into souls? Or give me the option to turn it into one of those weapons or souls? I'm afraid to use it.

If you consume it you will just get souls. To make the weapons you have to go to the giant blacksmith in anor londo.

My new favourite game is playing hide and seek in Anor Londo, giving blue phantoms the run around. The longer they're in your world, the more chance a red phantom will come in, I love being perched somewhere and watching bluey panic as red hunts him down. Salty hate mail ratio is higher than normal, but I take that as a compliment!

Don't consume boss souls, unless you really do not want any of the weapons you can make from them - even then the souls received when consumed aren't really that much, you can earn the same from being summoned for a single boss fight after the first couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom