• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Well, I haven't seen anything other than locked 30 FPS at 4 times the resolution. I'm running a 660.

You know I've been following this thread and I was almost sure that someone would come up with a solution very quickly.

Did you use a DirectX hook to resize the backbuffer or anything like that? I'm really interested in the technical aspect of it.

Bedlam

WTF? That is some funny shit... I wanted to believe the From Software guys struggled against some unsurmountable difficulties but this is ridiculous.

DURANTE, oh my God, thank u so much, you are a legend.

Any chance u can also add a fov fix for triple screen gaming???

You have defeated!

chiablo

If Durante charged $5 for the resolution patch, I'd buy two. You should at least put up a donation page or something so we can compensate you for your time and effort.

Tain

might be buying thanks to Durante.

I'm guessing that due to the ratio of the internal framebuffer we can't get native 1080p?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey Durante, I don't know the Inner Workings of your patch (is it an external .exe that calls the regular .exe but changes some memory variables?), but I wonder if it'll count the hours on Steam?

I know this is Small Potatoes, but I hope it works as Skyrim's Extended Scripting tools, where you run SKSE.exe and THEN load skyrim.exe, counting hours properly on Steam.

We probably can't know if it works on GFWL until the game actually comes out.

Drencrom

I did. Took me 23 minutes, without source access. (I dedicate this to the people that told me I'm unreasonable when I lambasted From for not doing something that takes a few hours at most in the other thread)

I'll make a thread when it's in a state ready to release

What the fuck FromSoftware...

chiablo

Yeah, this is what I'd like to know. Don't party just yet.

I'd imagine that because it's essentially a post-processing filter that it would not trigger any flags with GFWL. From my understanding, it's the same as enabling Anti Aliasing through your video card's control panel, or using an ENB shader.

Tain

There still seems to be some weird action going on in Durante's shot. Like, it's downscaled, but there's some processing going on outside of that, isn't there?

edit: looking at the second shot, here

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Durante fucking rocks. I can't believe the resolution stuff got fixed before it even officially launched.

I just got my key from GMG, but it doesn't mention Steam anywhere... Hrmm...

Oh well, I have to wait until I get home before trying it anyway.

derwalde

if this works with GFWL, everyone should consider donating a few bucks via paypal or whatever. good work needs to be paid imo.

Emitan

There HAS to be some reason From didn't do this. Right?!

GAF YOU TOLD ME SUCH WONDERFUL THINGS ABOUT "BASED FROM"

Durante

So looks like 16x9 framebuffers work well. It's not locked to anamorphic rendering.

I guess I'll get this ready to release in a few hours -- a few things to do still, like reading rendering res from some config file and cutting down on debug logging (currently produces ~100MB/minute)).

I'll make a thread then.

Sethos said:
Durante, can you / did you add some additional resolutions? Like 2560x1600
Will be a config file.

Tain said:
might be buying thanks to Durante.

I'm guessing that due to the ratio of the internal framebuffer we can't get native 1080p?
Unlocked aspect ratio.

drizzle said:
Hey Durante, can you somehow name your executable the same as the game's executable, and then rename the game's executable and call it through your software, so I can rename/replace the original .EXE and Steam can still count the hours properly?
The executable is unmodified.

chiablo said:
I'd imagine that because it's essentially a post-processing filter that it would not trigger any flags with GFWL. From my understanding, it's the same as enabling Anti Aliasing through your video card's control panel, or using an ENB shader.
It's not the same exactly, but it uses the same method to deliver its "payload". So if FXAA injectors work with GFWL (I don't know if they do) this should as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'll stop replying for now otherwise I'll never get the release done. Talk about the game or something, I'll be back in a few hours!

Durante fucking rocks. I can't believe the resolution stuff got fixed before it even officially launched.

I just got my key from GMG, but it doesn't mention Steam anywhere... Hrmm...

Oh well, I have to wait until I get home before trying it anyway.

I wonder how many extra sales this game is going to get from Durante's work. I know I'm getting it now.
I will be getting it for sure too now.

Sullichin

I'm so good.

data2012-08-2319-18-3m8kbf.png

A Dark Souls PC screenshot that won't make you sick and kill you.

Awesome work, thank you! I was naively hoping someone would fix it before I got home from work.. amazed that you did it so quickly. Let us know if you run into any weird issues! Your fix wouldn't affect GFWL would it?

EDIT: just read your explanation above. Yes, leave this thread and go do more awesome.

Moaradin

Guess I'll buy from steam now considering it's THAT easy to fix the resolution. I assume uncapping the frame rate will be pretty easy as well.

Eusis

Honestly, at this point, unless something turns up later in the game, the only explanation is that they just don't give a fuck. It's that simple.
Blighttown will probably be the test. Though to be honest I half wonder if Blighttown could be due to ram/CPU limitations on consoles, simply granting more on PC would fix that I think unless the game actively refuses to use more or something.

Top Bottom