• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
This Dark Souls resolution saga has been so goddamn strange! So glad it ended like this though, you are a frickin hero dude.

Saw the thread title change and came in here wondering what was going on.
Now I actually want to buy this. Thank you based Duarnte!

Dont want to be a party pooper but I cant stop thinking that maybe at some point in the game, it will just blow up or be unplayable at custom resolutions.

I just want to understand how a team of devs that have programmed stuff for complicated multi-threaded consoles is not capable of doing what a hobbiest programmer can do in 23 minutes.

I refuse to believe they are that incompetent.

Yeah, I do feel there is a bit of testing left to be done on this before we are absolutely sure it's going to work without issue. I'm still confident that the community as a whole will work out the bugs and do what FROM didn't.

At work so i can't really check is GMG steam key? I will buy after work if so thanks to Durantes skills.

GMG is Steam Key.

dino1980

Great work Durante! You made my month! Best game released on the consoles is finally going to look and run great on my tv! :D

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hats off to you Durante!

I just want to understand how a team of devs that have programmed stuff for complicated multi-threaded consoles is not capable of doing what a hobbiest programmer can do in 23 minutes.

I might be wrong but I believe (?) Durante has a phd in cpu... erhm, damn I don't even know what to call it... cpu-programming and / or something with cpus. In any case what I'm trying to get at is that the dude has written papers on the subject so a "hobbyist programmer" is far from the truth.

Hats off to you Durante!

I might be wrong but I believe (?) Durante has a phd in cpu... erhm, damn I don't even know what to call it... cpu-programming and / or something with cpus. In any case what I'm trying to get at is that the dude has written papers on the subject so a "hobbyist programmer" is far from the truth.

I dont know him that well thus I assumed he was a hobbyist programmer, PHD in Computer processors, holy shit.

Legendary.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Dont want to be a party pooper but I cant stop thinking that maybe at some point in the game, it will just blow up or be unplayable at custom resolutions.

Haha I know, I keep waiting on some huge crash or something. But this whole thing has been such a circus, it wouldn't surprise if this works like a charm. What a fitting end!

Durante increasing sales for FROM.

Dude should get a cut for real.

EasyMode

Well at one point they said that they wanted parity with the console versions. I assumed they were just trying to save face, but maybe they were serious -_-

Sullichin

One reason people were saying the resolution was locked was that the game would kick you out if it ever dropped below 30 fps, or am I just confused about that?

Also, I notice the HUD seems identical...I'm guessing the mod just affects the 3D rendering and the HUD is added after that? Or it just looks the same because the asset is low-res?

I need to read up on this game. I wasn't really interested, but I'm at least interested enough to learn some of the details. Is this the one where other people from the internet affect your game somehow, and there's not a way to avoid that?

What? are you actually trying to discuss the game itself in the OT? ;)

Other players can leave vague messages, invade your game uninvited, and help you beat areas and bosses. The same mechanic that allows you to summon people for co-op help opens you for invasions, so it's a double-edged sword. It's possible to play the whole game without ever getting invaded, even if you play online. It's certainly avoidable.

Deadstar

Great work Durante. Good to see the PC is getting what it wants as this is a great series.

Honestly I couldn't care less if From didn't put as much effort towards the technical side. The initial game design is what matters to me. Plus I know what it is like to be in software dev and there can be a thousand reasons for something like this not going though. From company politics to deadlines to budget to risk... etc. Modders don't have to face these same issues so sometimes it can be more beneficial to let them make the necessary changes.

For those that don't realize it, even a change that takes less than an hour to implement can have drastic unforeseen effects on other things and as such dozens upon dozens of testing hours gets put into ensuring something like this doesn't have any downfalls. Because if a company breaks a release they take TONS more flak than a modder who didn't consider how it would affect feature 'x'. I hate that reasoning just as much as everyone else, but thinking putting in a fix like this is really as easy as it actually is means you aren't fully aware of what goes on behind the scenes.

Again AMAZING work Durante and people like you are what pushes games to their limits and forces companies to step up and meet the expectations. ;) Company inner workings should be no excuse for a feature this important. I'd say that every obstacle would have been worth having it from the get go.

Then again maybe they didn't do it on purpose cuz they knew how easy it was and that a situation like this may spark a sense of camaraderie in the community... like that feeling you get in DS/DkS when a stranger helps you beat that boss you've been stuck on for days. Little do you know you are playing their game right now. ;)

Interesting. I think I agree. This is part of the meta-game.

Haha I know, I keep waiting on some huge crash or something. But this whole thing has been such a circus, it wouldn't surprise if this works like a charm. What a fitting end!

Even in worst case scenario and something goes wrong, another fix will more than likely come along at some point. Dark Souls is so popular that I'm expecting all kinds of fan made stuff for it.

Drencrom

Oh, that explains it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I do feel there is a bit of testing left to be done on this before we are absolutely sure it's going to work without issue. I'm still confident that the community as a whole will work out the bugs and do what FROM didn't.

Yes, and it's only been like half an hour since the release of the game. It may need some work still, but the internet community can do amazing thing when it's power is properly harnessed.

Eusis

I'm suspecting even more that this was done out of a misguided notion of platform parity. People demanded it on PC, but they must've thought it was like, say, demanding Demon's Souls on 360: get the game on another platform running just as well. And while that's the ideal amongst same generation console ports, for a PC port it's about running the game WAY nicer, and I don't think they really understood that. Maybe they worried about it having an unfair advantage (beyond the DLC bundled anyway), but that'd be kind of ridiculous because people pay hundreds, if not thousands on their nice PC FOR that advantage.

1-D_FTW

I did. Took me 23 minutes, without source access. (I dedicate this to the people that told me I'm unreasonable when I lambasted From for not doing something that takes a few hours at most in the other thread)

But...but... but... low polygon counts would look bad rendered in high resolution! Surely this can't be.

Clevinger

I need to read up on this game. I wasn't really interested, but I'm at least interested enough to learn some of the details. Is this the one where other people from the internet affect your game somehow, and there's not a way to avoid that?

You can avoid it for the most part, if you want. Just stay in hollow mode. People can only invade you if you're human. The other online stuff is: you can see other players faint blue outline walking around for a couple seconds once in a while, you see other messages players leave (and you can leave some), and you can see the bloodstains of other players who've died and activating them lets you see the last 10 seconds of their lives. Plus you can invade, and you can summon other players to help you (and be summoned by other players).

Durante

Ok, I have to clarify this since pretending to academic titles is actually a crime in this country :p

I have a Master's in computer science, and am working on a PhD (not quite done yet). But really, that has very little to do with what I did here, graphics programming is purely a hobby for me. My research field is parallel processing and compiler optimizations.

Will get back to working on it now.

ElFly

It's possible but there's a good chance that what's limiting DS's performance is the cpu and not the gpu.

Sethos

Banned
Ok, I have to clarify this since pretending to academic titles is actually a crime in this country :p

I have a Master's in computer science, and am working on a PhD (not quite done yet). But really, that has very little to do with what I did here, graphics programming is purely a hobby for me. My research field is parallel processing and compiler optimizations.

Tell us if this works with GFWL, give us the bad / good news :p

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

KILL HIM!

<3

MedIC86

i dont think its possible to crank up the fps tho, i read somwhere its locked with the animations, that it would look unnatural on 60 fps (kinda like the SotC remake).

Good luck with that PhD of yours bro. And get back to work. ;)

Vitor711

At work so i can't really check is GMG steam key? I will buy after work if so thanks to Durantes skills.

Yeah, I just popped it into Steam and it worked.

Weird wording on the GMG email though - made it seem as though Capsule was necessary to make it work which worried me for a sec too.

Amazing that the res is fixed already though. That's crazy. And it's a significant jump up visually as well. It took this guy 23 minutes and yet From couldn't manage at all? What the hell? Surely they have friends over at Capcom or somewhere who could have walked them through that? Say what you will about their output lately, but the PC ports of MT Framework Capcom games have mostly been stellar ever since RE5. Clearly it's not the entirety of Japanese development that has an issue with PC tech.

Unless it was an issue of thereby necessitating additional bug testing, it seems bizarre that From couldn't sort this out.

Drencrom

So it's official, FromSoftware outdone by a 'hobbyist programmer' :lol

"random dude on internet fixes resolution issue before game launches"

Fucking Reddit.

syko de4d

thx to durante i bought a game for 39,99€ which i don´t want to buy 1 hour ago... Fromsoftware shoudl give him 30€ from my copy...

Yeah, I just popped it into Steam and it worked.

Weird wording on the GMG email though - made it seem as though Capsule was necessary to make it work which worried me for a sec too.

Amazing that the res is fixed already though. That's crazy. And it's a significant jump up visually as well. It took this guy 23 minutes and yet From couldn't manage at all? What the hell? Surely they have friends over at Capcom or somewhere who could have walked them through that? Say what you will about their output lately, but the PC ports of MT Framework Capcom games have mostly been stellar ever since RE5. Clearly it's not the entirety of Japanese development that has an issue with PC tech.

Unless it was an issue of thereby necessitating additional bug testing, it seems bizarre that From couldn't sort this out.

Is it preloading for you?

Durante if you are still here, please tell me if you can add a FOV slider and list triple head resolutions for us triple screen players.

5040 * 1050
5760 * 1200

THANKS

Teknoman

Yeah this needs to be on the front page of other gaming sites, especially paired with whatever reviews are on the way. I'd also like to see a Namco/From comment.

Cramoss

I was already okay with the port but if someone already fixed the resolution thingy it's even better.

Good job, Durante!

Top Bottom