• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crub

Of all the Japanese studios likely to be swayed into supporting the PC on a regular basis, you'd think it'd be Platinum Games given how Westernized their games are. We should really get this movement started.

Edit: and after playing Binary Domain, I wholly agree with the call for porting Vanquish.

Also played and beat Binary Domain recently and it made hungry for more similar styled games.

SEGA could probably hand the game to the same developers who ported Sonic Generations and Binary Domain.

Considering how well SEGA supports PC nowdays I think it would be pretty easy to convince them, could we only get a petition going.

ArjanN

I support this, after playing the awesome DMC4 PC port and awed by how beautiful it is, vanquish would feel right at home...also

BAYONETTA FOR PC!

Sadly I think it's probably too late for Bayonetta or Vanquish. As long as SEGA's publishing I guess a PC version of future games is not out of the question though, as SEGA has seemed to have realized they can make money on PC.

Card Boy

Banned
I support this, after playing the awesome DMC4 PC port and awed by how beautiful it is, vanquish would feel right at home...also

BAYONETTA FOR PC!

DMC4 is truly one of the best console to PC ports i have played. It looks amazing and is so well optimized. And DX10 just adds to the experience.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
DMC4 is truly one of the best console to PC ports i have played. It looks amazing and is so well optimized. And DX10 just adds to the experience.

Indeed. It and RE5 are great ports. RE5's DX10 mode was especially nice, generally runs better (for some reason the Performance test in DX10 runs worse than in-game, which is a stable 60 for me) and it also loads faster!

Crub

Sadly I think it's probably too late for Bayonetta or Vanquish. As long as SEGA's publishing I guess a PC version of future games is not out of the question though, as SEGA has seemed to have realized they can make money on PC.

If re-releases of old Dreamcast games are profitable for SEGA I don't see why a port of a less than 2 year old game couldn't be. Vanquish would probably appeal to a lot of pc gamers.

I think a petition with 40k signatures might be enough for SEGA to consider porting it.

King_Moc

Banned
Ah, sorry, it's just textures that aren't being up-rezzed. That's as expected then. Having played Demon Souls i can live with it being 30fps too. It's much slower paced than something like DMC, so it plays fine.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"It's completely understandable that people who bought the console version have those questions. However, as the director of Dark Souls I cannot answer your question right now. I want to apologise to console owners that I don't have any news at this point."

Fucking bullshit. Namco and From better be bringing that extra content to consoles. Why should I support From/Namco further if all they're going to do is spit in the face of "early adopters."

Fucking bullshit. Namco and From better be bringing that extra content to consoles. Why should I support From/Namco further if all they're going to do is spit in the face of "early adopters."

They never said it's not coming. I'm sure namco just want to make the PC version look better so some may double dip then announce it as DLC for consoles. It's free money they would be stupid not to take.

Anth0ny

It's obviously coming as DLC. If they announced it now, it would take away sales from the PC version.

ArjanN

If re-releases of old Dreamcast games are profitable for SEGA I don't see why a port of a less than 2 year old game couldn't be. Vanquish would probably appeal to a lot of pc gamers.

I think a petition with 40k signatures might be enough for SEGA to consider porting it.

Oh, I agree with you though.

Just googled and there's an old Bayonetta petition with a couple hundred signatures.

On the plus side this recent Dark Souls petition has shown a petition like this can work.

Think GAF has enough clout to get a petition for Bayonetta/Vanquish some decent momentum? It worked for LowEndTorque's ugly kitchen. :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

BAYONETTA FOR PC!

Well PhyreEngine and MT Framework are Cross platform ready so it's easy to do cheap PC ports, I don't believe it's the case for PG proprietary engine, hell seeing how Konami cancelled MGS Rising on PC when they hired PG tell a lot about it.

And I don't see SEGA doing more old ports especially now that they have serious money problems and cut many projects.

UrbanRats

I'd sign it, since i still have to play it.
But first there's Dragon's Dogma to petition.

ArjanN

Well PhyreEngine and MT Framework are Cross platform ready so it's easy to do cheap PC ports, I don't believe it's the case for PG proprietary engine, hell seeing how Konami cancelled MGS Rising on PC when they hired PG tell a lot about it.

And I don't see SEGA doing more old ports especially now that they have serious money problems and cut many projects.

Well, Binary Domain also runs on a proprietary engine and that got ported. Also, I don't think a multiplatform game that is already on XBOX360 is very hard to port to PC.

While SEGA does have money problems they've said they want to focus more on digital releases. In fact I think those old ports they've been doing are probably easy money for them, compared to fully new releases.

I'd sign it, since i still have to play it.
But first there's Dragon's Dogma to petition.

You want Dragon's Dogma petitions? Here you go:
http://petitionbureau.org/dragonsdogmaforpc
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dragonsdogma-pc/signatures
And here's the 61 page thread on the Capcom forums about it:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/27442377/Dragons_Dogma_for_PC_-show_your_support!?pg=61

I think there's probably a 90% chance of Dragon's Dogma coming to PC anyway though. It's Capcom so they'll most likely just won't announce it until closer to /after the console release.

Hmm, I'll put some thought into creating a Bayonetta/Vanquish petition this week.

Crub

Think GAF has enough clout to get a petition for Bayonetta/Vanquish some decent momentum? It worked for LowEndTorque's ugly kitchen. :)

If someone create a petition and a proper thread to back it, I think it could be enough to get the ball rolling. With a possible push from Total Biscuit and/or RPS later on the movement would probably grow large enough to draw SEGA's attention.

It would probably be wise to focus on one game at a time, though.

doomquake

buy a pc and buy their pc version and support them some more if you care so vehemently. Why are you so aggressive? He even apologized... If it was as easy as patching your install and downloading some more files - I am sure they would say "YES there will be a DLC" , but since the PC version was never planned and the success of the console versions not predicted - can you really blame the guy, namco AND From. Relax dude.

buy a pc and buy their pc version and support them some more if you care so vehemently. Why are you so aggressive? He even apologized... If it was as easy as patching your install and downloading some more files - I am sure they would say "YES there will be a DLC" , but since the PC version was never planned and the success of the console versions not predicted - can you really blame the guy, namco AND From. Relax dude.

Of course they can. He has every right to as well... I still think it's coming to consoles but if it doesn't it's a massive load of shit and probably one of the worse things a dev has done to it's fanbase.

doomquake

Of course they can. He has every right to as well... I still think it's coming to consoles but if it doesn't it's a massive load of shit and probably one of the worse things a dev has done to it's fanbase.

So the honorable thing for From Soft to do was...release the same exact thing as on the consoles? If you get a 2nd chance, wouldn't you try to do it better and finish up content you didn't show before?

Raide

So the honorable thing for From Soft to do was...release the same exact thing as on the consoles? If you get a 2nd chance, wouldn't you try to do it better and finish up content you didn't show before?

Yes, they should bring it to Consoles as well. If they want a 2nd chance of getting things right, wait for Dark Souls 2 and fulfil all your crazy awesome promises then.

Content that shouldn't be locked out from the nearly 2 million people who made your game a success in the first place. I'll pay for it just make it DLC. The game is a console port there is no damn reason this stuff can't come to console.

Eusis

Ideally part of why DLC even exists is so that we don't need to depend as much on "Game of the Year" editions or whatever whenever they create new content that can be added on. That, and the screenshots were apparently marked as "PS3", so there's a good chance they'd either provide DLC or at least release Prepare to Die edition on consoles.

I know they're not OBLIGATED to do this or anything, but it'll be disappointing if they don't provide the content for console players in some fashion.

doomquake

Content that shouldn't be locked out from the nearly 2 million people who made your game a success in the first place. I'll pay for it just make it DLC. The game is a console port there is no damn reason this stuff can't come to console.

True..if they really want to, they will figure out a way to route the game executable to run recompiled maps with new bosses and ai scripts without breaking the rest of the game and also have it work with people that didn't get the DLC. It would probably be easier to force everyone to redownload the 8gb of game data that has been updated the way the PC port will.

Dark Souls is a very interesting lesson to From Soft and a great phenomena for gamers. We got what we really wanted after the culmination of all the games we have played before, and From learned that they need to stop being so shortsighted.

doomquake

Ideally part of why DLC even exists is so that we don't need to depend as much on "Game of the Year" editions or whatever whenever they create new content that can be added on. That, and the screenshots were apparently marked as "PS3", so there's a good chance they'd either provide DLC or at least release Prepare to Die edition on consoles.

I know they're not OBLIGATED to do this or anything, but it'll be disappointing if they don't provide the content for console players in some fashion.

I really feel that they just did not plan ahead with their engine and game data to be expanded.

It is a bit strange that their reaction is kind of like "HUuuuuuuuh! People like our games?!! Nande?!" after they have built a fan base since PS1, but seeing the code and researching it a bit, it really seems like Dark Souls is slapped together on top of what was done in Demon's Souls which, at least to me, seems like a modified version of the Donkey Trader test game that comes with the PS3 dev kit.

The only reason that there is a port is that you can open your PhyrEngine game and recompile it for PC. The top management probably said - "hey we need to sell some copies to people who already own dark souls too, since we don't know how successful it will be still, so put some shit in it."

And this is why we get some bosses that they forgot to put into the console version...and not an actually improved experience in terms of UI, improved textures or even a promise to improve the frame rate. Get a PC together that has equal processing power of a console, and it will choke in Blighttown, I guarantee it .

54-46!

It does seem like we will be getting one of those old school PC ports with external programs to configure the game and then when you launch it it's exactly like the console version, only it runs even worse with glitches all over.

ArjanN

90%?! I'm taking your word for it, pal!

That's my extremely accurate guesstimate. :p

Really though, Capcom port most of their games to PC now, and I think they've hinted at a PC version on their own forums as well. I'd be surprised if it didn't come to PC, probably at least 3-6 months later though.

Who said there will be a Dark Souls 2?!

No-one officially yet, but it's verly likely. It sold well, and From have said they want to do more with it.

If someone create a petition and a proper thread to back it, I think it could be enough to get the ball rolling. With a possible push from Total Biscuit and/or RPS later on the movement would probably grow large enough to draw SEGA's attention.

It would probably be wise to focus on one game at a time, though.

I'll consider drafting something up this week if I have the time, best put some thought into it before creating a petition/thread.
It would probably smart to mention the success of the Dark Souls petition.
Also, would be nice to have some sort of quasi-supportive quote from SEGA or Platinum games, like the Dark Souls petition had.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

ArjanN

Now that I think about it, maybe we could have a thread specifically about what would be the best way to create a Bayonetta / Vanquish petition where people could give suggestions. Not sure if would be OK to make a specific thread for that.

I get this Alien / Aliens vibe if there will be a Dark Souls sequel :S

In what way?
That it would be more of a spiritual sequel like Demon Souls -> Dark Souls, or that it would be more action-packed?

For what it's worth I think a big part of why people like Aliens as a sequel was that it wasn't just a retread of the first movie, even if that meant somewhat of a shift in genre.

Crub

I'll consider drafting something up this week if I have the time, best put some thought into it before creating a petition/thread.
<3

Also, would be nice to have some sort of quasi-supportive quote from SEGA or Platinum games, like the Dark Souls petition had.
The best I could find was Platinum saying they were undecided on a PC version.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Reasons why the game is a good fit for the platform.

Dascu

Bayonetta and Vanquish on PC? Seems too late for that.

It'd be smarter to start a petition for Lollipop Chainsaw on PC. Game is still in development, probably on an engine more suitable for ports, by a dev willing to consider PC and by a Western publisher.

ArjanN

It'd be smarter to start a petition for Lollipop Chainsaw on PC. Game is still in development, probably on an engine more suitable for ports, by a dev willing to consider PC and by a Western publisher.

Well, while I'd love to see that game on PC as well, Lollipop Chainsaw is a different game by a different publisher.

Here's an excerpt from an interview with recent interview with Akira Yamaoka:
a Being Chief Creative Officer, what’s your vision for Grasshopper Manufacture after Lollipop Chainsaw and Black Knight Sword?

Akira Yamaoka, Chief Creative Officer: I’m thinking of expanding on new platforms possibly social media, mobile phones, Steam, and Origin.

What are your thoughts on Steam?

I don’t think that packaged games will die out, but Steam has a lot of potential since it works with different hardware.

Do you want to design new games for Steam or re-release games Grasshopper Manufacture’s library?

New games.

I think there's a decent chance of whatever Grasshopper's next big project is after their current stuff, is likely to come to PC as well.

Dascu

Just saying, I don't think there's a good chance for Bayonetta or Vanquish to appear on PC. There's more likely candidates out there, and Lollipop Chainsaw is one of them.

Can't hurt to try though.

ArjanN

Just saying, I don't think there's a good chance for Bayonetta or Vanquish to appear on PC. There's more likely candidates out there, and Lollipop Chainsaw is one of them.

Can't hurt to try though.

I'll agree a newer game would probably be an easier target, but hell, they also recently released stuff like Golden Axe III and that Sonic CD remake.

Probably worth giving it a shot.

simpsons did it

Tain

I'd only be vocal about games that I could possibly see myself enjoying, though. :/

UrbanRats

You want Dragon's Dogma petitions? Here you go:
http://petitionbureau.org/dragonsdogmaforpc
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dragonsdogma-pc/signatures
And here's the 61 page thread on the Capcom forums about it:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/27442377/Dragons_Dogma_for_PC_-show_your_support!?pg=61

I think there's probably a 90% chance of Dragon's Dogma coming to PC anyway though. It's Capcom so they'll most likely just won't announce it until closer to /after the console release.

Hmm, I'll put some thought into creating a Bayonetta/Vanquish petition this week.
Signed both, though they still are at 600, which is a joke, basically. :(
Anyway, if you'll ever do a Vanquish one, i'll sign that too.

Sentenza

40K is an insane amount of signatures.
I'm starting to think that this Dark Souls petition inflated expectations about online petitions out of proportion. I even read some nutjob claiming that it was disappointing for it not reaching 100K signatures.

People, let's face it: it was almost a miracle, greatly helped by unexpected press coverage. Most of those internet petition can boast about being "super successful" when they reach 10K.
And many of them don't even reach these numbers.

Crub

I am a huge fan of NMH and would certainly like to have Lollipop Chainsaw on PC.

The reasons why I feel Vanquish in particular would be a good game to push are the following:
1) It's a game that would appeal to the PC gamer demographic
2) It would benefit from a PC release due to the unstable frame-rate and less precise controls of the console version
3) SEGA are generally open to releasing their games on PC

I don't see why the age of the game is a big deal. If SEGA's Dreamcast ports can be profitable, I don't see why this can't.

40K is an insane amount of signatures.
I'm starting to think that this Dark Souls petition inflated expectations about online petitions out of proportion. I even read some nutjob claiming that it was disappointing for it not reaching 100K signatures.

People, let's face it: it was almost a miracle, greatly helped by unexpected press coverage. Most of those internet petition can boast about being "super successful" when they reach 10K.
And many of them don't even reach these numbers.

After the Double Fine Kickstarter success I thought no other game would ever be able to raise that kind of money. Then Wasteland came along.

No one has really tried to push a PC port the same way Dark Souls was pushed. No other game petition has had its own dedicated thread on NeoGAF. This actually surprises me as I thought the Dark Souls port was going to spawn several similar campaigns.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Sega should really outright buy the team that has been doing all their recent PC ports, Devil's Details, and just have them constantly porting back catalog stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Misunderstanding in the initial interview where this was mentioned. The comments were about texture resolution, not screen resolution.

Was there an official statement about this? Going back in the thread it looks like the "it was all a misunderstanding" stuff is just speculation that became fact out of wishful thinking. The Famitsu interview certainly indicates that he's talking about screen resolution, but if there has been clarification since then, please share a link to it.

Dascu

Was there an official statement about this? Going back in the thread it looks like the "it was all a misunderstanding" stuff is just speculation that became fact out of wishful thinking. The Famitsu interview certainly indicates that he's talking about screen resolution, but if there has been clarification since then, please share a link to it.

Yes, there seems to be some confusion. I don't have any links to articles or posts, but if I got it correctly then:
- There was a Famitsu interview, in which the director said that the resolution would not be changed. J-GAF members said that the Japanese term used here implied screen resolution, not texture resolution.
- There was also an interview with a Western magazine or website (I can't recall what), which also talked about an unchanged resolution. However, the person who took that interview mentioned in a Reddit (I think) post that they were talking about texture resolution, not screen resolution.

I've said it before and I'll say it again though: Let's wait and see. The director seems technically incompetent or ignorant (not an insult) regarding PCs, so his comments might be misinformed or misunderstood. And we're still quite some time away from the final PC release, so things can change easily. And even assuming the worst, the PC port would "just" be the same as the console version, plus the added content.

Tex117

Banned
Who said there will be a Dark Souls 2?!
I hope there isn't.

I like it being a "Souls" game. From isn't married to any one idea and is free to create a game without being chained to "This is how it is done"

EasyMode

This was the post where we started dismissing the resolution problem:

Via Reddit, from the GameSpy interviewer:

There is hope.

At this point, I'm going to
believe
that Miyazaki meant that they might not be able to get a stable 60 FPS.

Like Dascu said, Miyazaki probably didn't realize what he was saying. The idea of a sub-hd locked resolution game on PC is cray.

I hope there isn't.

I like it being a "Souls" game. From isn't married to any one idea and is free to create a game without being chained to "This is how it is done"

The only reason there isn't a Demon's Souls 2 is because Sony owns the IP and they wanted to go multiplatform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom