• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

I need some noob tips. Picked up this game in PAX sale, but seems like I'm struggling.

After every dungeon crawl, all the party members are afflicted and close to death. I keep losing good members too. Just lost my Level 2 Hellion. I'm in Week 6 and dont have any levelled up heroes or upgraded abilities because the dungeons are pretty much meat grinders for me. Also I have like 2 trinkets so far despite opening every curio I could find. Right now all my B class heroes (my A class got wiped out) are in treatment while I have to work with D class new arrivals.

The game is not finding it's stride with me.

I need some noob tips. Picked up this game in PAX sale, but seems like I'm struggling.

After every dungeon crawl, all the party members are afflicted and close to death. I keep losing good members too. Just lost my Level 2 Hellion. I'm in Week 6 and dont have any levelled up heroes or upgraded abilities because the dungeons are pretty much meat grinders for me. Also I have like 2 trinkets so far despite opening every curio I could find. Right now all my B class heroes (my A class got wiped out) are in treatment while I have to work with D class new arrivals.

The game is not finding it's stride with me.

It took me awhile to find a groove as well. Only thing I can say is don't get attached to any of your characters. Chances are they'll eventually die. I also didn't upgrade their weapons, powers and armor until they were level 3. That money is better spent getting their stress levels down early on in the game and buying up enough supplies for the dungeon trips.

I've been using this website to have an idea on what to take for each location.

https://arnaud.rocks/darkest-companion/

KuroNeeko

So this game is on sale on Steam!

I have the ipad version and LOVE it, but the interface (short presses vs. long holds, finger obstructing the text, etc.) has me wanting the PC version now.

I see the original game is priced at about $10 and the Crimson Court + OST brings the price tag up to about $20. I don't mind the price, but am curious--will I be "missing out" on the "original experience" if I pick up CC without beating the original? Can I play the original content without the expansion, clear it, then play with the Crimson Court? Or is the game just better with the Crimson Court?

I'm still in my first playthrough on either easy or medium difficult...(probably easy) and have been sticking mostly to non-campfire / easy missions to build up my doods. Fun game and, man, those battles get pretty intense!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So this game is on sale on Steam!

I have the ipad version and LOVE it, but the interface (short presses vs. long holds, finger obstructing the text, etc.) has me wanting the PC version now.

I see the original game is priced at about $10 and the Crimson Court + OST brings the price tag up to about $20. I don't mind the price, but am curious--will I be "missing out" on the "original experience" if I pick up CC without beating the original? Can I play the original content without the expansion, clear it, then play with the Crimson Court? Or is the game just better with the Crimson Court?

I'm still in my first playthrough on either easy or medium difficult...(probably easy) and have been sticking mostly to non-campfire / easy missions to build up my doods. Fun game and, man, those battles get pretty intense!

Even if you buy it all, when you start a new game it lets you choose what parts of the DLC you want active. There's toggles for Crimson Court, Districts, and the Flagellant.

I honestly would master the base game before you add the Crimson Court.

KuroNeeko

Even if you buy it all, when you start a new game it lets you choose what parts of the DLC you want active. There's toggles for Crimson Court, Districts, and the Flagellant.

I honestly would master the base game before you add the Crimson Court.

Great! That's perfect!
I'll scoop them all up and then just disable the DLC!

^When you start a New Game, you can turn on any of the 3 DLC features: the new dungeon, the new estate buildings, and the new hero.

If you don't turn them on at the start, you can turn them on later at any point. You can't reverse it though.

Personally I found the new CC dungeon a bit annoying with a new game. Not sure if everyone would have the same experience or I was unlucky, but I kept getting the 'vampire mosquitos' town event constantly... Was kinda annoying because at the start of a new game, I rather get some of the classic events 'lots of heroes show up/bounty appears appear for the first time/etc.'

So for me, what I decided to do was active the new city buildings and the new hero, but save the expansion dungeon until after the last dungeon -- or at least until much later whenever I felt it fit better.

Top Bottom