• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS preview update(videos and stuff)

JoeFenix

I like the way this looks but the animations and framerate are pretty horrible.

Also feels like the developers copied parts of every action/adventure game out there. Devil Bringer from DMC4, Gale Boomerang from Zelda:TP, Raziel wings from Soul Reaver... seems a bit lacking in original ideas.

Still, we don't get enough of these types of games, I'll gladly take this over shooter number 300 coming out this year.

Phthisis

~Devil Trigger~ said:
darksiders-wrath-of-war-20090518031038060_640w.jpg

ultimates3_02cover.jpg

Great to see his art come out so well in 3D

Ravidrath

Ekgar said:
I have high hopes for this game, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got cancelled =[

...It comes out in August, so it's done and just in testing/tuning now.

So I would, in fact, be surprised if it was canceled.

Sinatar said:
This looks really cool. Keeping a close eye on this as these guys are also working on the Warhammer 40k MMO.

Seeing that it's taken them 5+ years to make this game, the prospects of them releasing an MMO in our lifetimes seem distant.

OH man, i can not wait for this game. I am a big joe mad fan and to see his art in a videogame is amazing!! If you guys ever want to see the latest concept art or whatever drawings he does go to his fan site, i think its like joemad.net. The engine does seem to be lookin better in these new screens. The art style will hold up, im just concerned with them taking FOREVER to finally get this game done, maybe by then it will be overshadowed by some big name titles. I really want to see this studio do well and give us more games with joe mad doing the designs.

lostxii

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i see more differences between god of war 1/2 and 3's model than between this war vs. the old.

why's everyone so butthurt?
Well, his look has changed a lot since the original.

e3-2007-darksider-screens-20070711002007865_640w.jpg
darksiders-wrath-of-war-20080520022056289_640w.jpg

darksiders-wrath-of-war-20080609030731288_640w.jpg

darksiders-wrath-of-war-20090518031025748_640w.jpg

lostxii

~Devil Trigger~ said:
well in the Walkthrough he did say you can change your looks right...
Yea, that's what I thought at first but...

“War has been developed for quite some while, and as a lead artist I can say most main characters go through a lot of changes – it’s a natural process,” explains Randhawa. “This is actually his third incarnation. The extremely early demos had him looking like this, but he was a little more fantasy-like then. Then he went into a more ancient-tech look and with that comes the problem that you might fall too far into the fantasy or tech side. We felt it was a little too tech-y, so we brought it back a little and so now he’s a little more traditional with some Samurai and Roman-esque elements clearly visible in there.”

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/d...a-20080902134028710098/g-20070711163817748084

jangotangos said:
oh look another game EA's Dante's Inferno is ripping off...

1. Devil May Cry
2. God Of War
3. Darksiders

How is Dante's Inferno ripping off Darksiders? Besides, QTEs and action have been around prior to God of War. :|

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Man, every time I see this game it looks better. Combat looks great, art continues to improve, and having a Zelda-like structure makes it all better. I'm nearly there for a day one purchase. For me, that's saying a lot since the only games I tend to buy day one are either niche or games I expect to be fuck awesome. It's also been in development for awhile so I know they aren't rushing this out the door.

bdouble

Yeah looking forward to this for a while. Keeps on improving.

Mr. Durden said:
This doesn't look any less epic than God of War does, and I love God of War. Just hope the gameplay is at the same level as well.

Is GoW structured like a Zelda or Metroid though? I always thought it was more combat focused and solving a few puzzles along the way in a linear fashion? I've never played it.

From the way they are talking about this though its an overworld with branching hubs and dungeons. Each having new areas opening up as you gain new abilities and items. As far as combat goes yeah definitely looks like they are fleshing it out more than a Zelda and more like a GoW but still not the main focal point of the game. I just hope it all comes together.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
bdouble said:
Is GoW structured like a Zelda or Metroid though? I always thought it was more combat focused and solving a few puzzles along the way in a linear fashion? I've never played it.

You're correct. GoW is very linear and mostly focused on combat with some extra puzzle solving, albeit more puzzle and adventure elements than say Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry. Some puzzles could be considered "Zelda-esque".

From the way they are talking about this though its an overworld with branching hubs and dungeons. Each having new areas opening up as you gain new abilities and items. As far as combat goes yeah definitely looks like they are fleshing it out more than a Zelda and more like a GoW but still not the main focal point of the game. I just hope it all comes together.

It looks like to me that they're putting equal emphasis on both. Because of all the extra upgrades you get it looks like to me that the combat may actually be even more fleshed out than other action games since you're getting tons more options and powers. It seems like it has all the flash and awesome gameplay of a God-of-War-esque Action game with the environmental depth and exploration of a Zelda game. That seems like a lot of work, which would easily explain why the game has been in development for so long. It's probably at least 3 years, right? It was revealed at E3 07.

bdouble

Yeah exactly its a pretty ambition proposition but it comes to the whole point of view thing. Too Human syndrome all over again. People are going to put it up to different standards. From what they have shown I just wouldn't expect the combat to be as deep as something like DMC, GoW or NG. Even with all the items. On the other hand though it is definitely deeper than Zelda (which is still fun) and I like the context sensitive stuff they have going on. In an earlier demo they showed War grabbing onto fling things and pulling them down and shit.

Was surprised when he went into the menu and talked about the customization with weapon modifiers and such. Still if they pull it off a Zelda sort of game (no way comparing) with a bit more fleshed out combat then it is worth a try in my book.

Souther

Banned
Looks cool

I hope that the Legions of Heaven and Hell are represented well.

Satan, Beelzebub, Mammon, Michael, Gabriel, Uriel, etc etc

TrAcEr_x90 said:
arent these new pics of him upgraded? I thought i read when you upgrade armor it changes the look.

Seems likely. The earlier released CGI intro already featured an armorless War, which is the same figure as the one in these shots.

So I assume the earlier screens are now later in the game (fully armored, city appears further deystroyed) and these more 'fantasy' (*shivvers*) looking screens from very early in the game's progress.

Still looking forward to it.

The premise is pretty cliche, but I like the overall presentation, the door golem looked pretty neat too. If they can make this really fun to play, I would give it a whirl.

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
Joe Madureira talks Darksiders and the influence his comic book background had on the artwork and character design of the game, in this interview from E3!
Also find out why they chose War!

Fatalah

Madureira's a great artist, and his younger brother is working on this game with him. Very happy for the both of them, it looks like Joe's vision is panning out.

Orobi

Mr. Durden said:
Generic? Please tell me about one to three game that look the same?

That look the same... generic? Too human, and Alter Echo (THQ again) for example...
Also Nano breaker from Konami and so on...

Shiggy

Orobi said:
That look the same... generic? Too human, and Alter Echo (THQ again) for example...
Also Nano breaker from Konami and so on...

Silicon Knights provided some asset/art outsourcing services for Darksiders. :lol

soultron

Banned
Leave it to GAF to bitch about this being generic. It looks decent, and the art style, while being relatively samey, looks pretty slick.

I'll check a/the demo out when it drops and make my decisions from there.

batbeg

God damn. I'd already been interested in this game from the original Game Informer article, due to the incredible art and the appealing premise. When I realized Liam o'Brien was voicing War with the last trailer, it made it an insta-purchase (Liam o'Brien = <3). This is, of course, on top of Mark Hamill also voicing the "evil Navi" Watcher.

And now there's Phil fucking LaMarr? THQ... you're practically mugging me. Jesus Christ. This is all without even mentioning how great those Gamespot videos look, or the new incredible Destructoid preview. I mean, just listen to some of this:

A creature that is loyal and helpful is your horse, Ruin. This mighty beast is actually invisible -- the “phantom steed” is made of ash, so he merely disintegrates when he’s hit. You can summon him at the press of a button as long as you’re not in an enclosed area, and he’ll even catch you if you’re falling. (Of Ruin, Kamel said, “He’s like a bad-ass Epona.”) Ruin will allow you to get to places you couldn’t reach without him, and he’s also a necessity in certain combat situations, à la Agro from Shadow of the Colossus. In a boss battle in the Ashlands (which are literally composed of human ash, by the way), you can’t step on the ash without being devoured by the boss. But you can ride around on Ruin with impunity.

THQ and Vigil wanted to stress the puzzle elements in the boss battles. It’s not just about hacking away until a screen-filling health bar is depleted; instead, like Zelda, you’ll often receive a new weapon or ability in a dungeon, and -- guess what? -- you’ll need to use it against the dungeon boss. I saw this in action when War was given not a hook shot, but a “cross blade.” It’s a sweet bow, but what’s neat is that you can lock on to multiple targets with it (it’ll fire at all of them at once). In the fiery dungeon, the boss isn’t harmed by regular attacks. But the cross blade also transfers elements. If you hit something that’s on fire, your arrows will then be imbued with flame -- and that’s how you can defeat the boss.

Since it’s an action-adventure game, a major part of the game is exploration. I spent some time running around and found what looked like a subway entrance -- it led to a small underground area where, after doing some platforming, I came upon a chest full of souls. Sweet! There will also be a number of sections where you’ll be given a heavy weapon to play with. These segments are intended to break up the gameplay. One of the special weapons was a Fracture Cannon, a demon-designed remote-detonated rocket launcher. You have unlimited ammo in the short time you have the weapon, so it’s a blast (ba-dum-tish) to use.

The environment is interactive, too. If something looks like it can be used, then it can be used. I killed many a demon by picking up objects like cars and hurling them at the monsters. It’s also a lot of fun to break a fire hydrant and watch the geyser-like torrent of water raise enemies high into the air.

This game is really shaping up to be something spectacular, I think.

witness

I LOVE the art style, it looks fantastic. I never heard of it before the demo on x play yesterday and I just watched the walkthrough and WOW this game is super impressive. Day fucking 1.

ezekial45

Banned
Skilletor said:
Looks like Joe Mad to me. Go read Battle Chasers. :D

fuck you, Mad, for not finishing that

I know that he's the artist behind it, but i couldn't help but notice that it looks alot like WoW in some places.

batbeg

:D That walkthrough really did remind me a lot of a Zelda game, though of course it doesn't look as polished or neat as one. Still, very hyped for this :D

Top Bottom