• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS preview update(videos and stuff)

DieH@rd

Banned
MisterTHQ said:
Nice interview here with Production Manager Timothy Donley discussing all things Darksiders! :D
"An obvious challenge was giving the players reasons to explore. To respond to this we spent a lot of time building rewards and surprises for players who travel off the beaten paths."

I

WANT

THIS

GAME

batbeg

I hated that interview... all of Donley's answers just serve to make him sound like an absolute tool.

Buckethead said:
I miss Gauntlet for PS2. That game was awesome. Yep, I said it. It was awesome.

...okay...?
Reeeally depends on which Gauntlet you're referring to, here.

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
An updated build of Darksiders is being shown at the Tokyo Game Show - ahead of this, some of the Australian press were given some hands on time.
IGN hands on article
Gamespot updated hands on

A few new weapons were shown, including the Abyssal Chain - a grappling hook either for dragging your enemies closer, or allowing War to get up onto ledges he couldn't reach before.

Hoping for more from the show over the next few days!

FoxSpirit

from IGN:
...we're expecting to see some really positive changes in the combat system, as over the last few months Vigil has had Eric Williams – a combat designer and lead combat designer on God of War 1 and 2 respectively - contracted on to help tighten up their system, and make it nice and intuitive...

Okay, sold. Was the only thing I was slightly worried about and now, this hardly can fail :D

Ryu

I really want this game. Some of the footage is just spectacular and looks like tons of fun. Great premise too!

Lord Phol

Main character looks like I expected the WoW Death Knights to look, but I like the style.
Game could be fun, perhaps nothing spectacular or superfresh but just genuine good ol' fun.

Binabik15

MisterTHQ said:
There's some nice step by step photos here showing the making of Ruin for the PAX event.

Hah, digital sculpting! I could´ve sculpted that by hand!

I want it ;_;

When will we get more media about the Space Marine action game?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Seems like there's a lot of new stuff about Darksiders.

First, THQ changed the final release date to January 5th, 2010. Looks like we won't be getting it on New Year's after all.

They're doing a relaunch of the official website.

http://www.darksiders.com/

Watch the full video.

New trailer, seems like the major outlets haven't posted it yet, but it's on their Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=161924299733&ref=nf

Lastly, we have the final box art:

5tyluw.jpg

Not sure I care for it, I think I liked the old box art better.

batbeg

I like the picture, but the Darksiders logo is too distracting, and the background is very... uh, gray. I kind of hope there'll be a special edition just so I can have a better cover? :-/

Is anybody else going to this event in London next week? There's a presentation from Vigil as well as some hands-on time, should be fun I hope.

batbeg

Haha, holy shit, I just now checked out the new site. Fantastic job with that, I think, though I feel Kristin could've given a better performance ;)

I love the "Have you noticed" video, too. My hype remains firmly higher than it should; I hope THQ bring the excellent presence this game has into the mainstream so it can get out there properly!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The game looks interesting, so I might pick it up, but the cover looks a bit poo. The logo is too intrusive and what's up with that dull, grey background?

Christ. Nobody who buys this game can ever whinge that mainstream culture doesn't take games seriously. This is why we can't have nice things.

obonicus

Wolves Evolve said:
Christ. Nobody who buys this game can ever whinge that mainstream culture doesn't take games seriously. This is why we can't have nice things.

Those are colossally stupid complaints. Both the whinging about mainstream culture taking games seriously and your own remark about nice things.

obonicus said:
Those are colossally stupid complaints. Both the whinging about mainstream culture taking games seriously and your own remark about nice things.

That's great! Though, they aren't really complaints per se, they are more outright comments. I did not specify complaints, though I could if you liked. Nor is 'this is why we can't have nice things' my comment; its a cliche phrase to indicate dissapointment in a particular situation which might endanger the quality of an environment. Nor was I whinging, I was accusing people who buy the game of lowering the bar, judging them, and doing so with vim.

obonicus

Wolves Evolve said:
That's great! Though, they aren't really complaints per se, they are more outright comments. I did not specify complaints, though I could if you liked. Nor is 'this is why we can't have nice things' my comment; its a cliche phrase to indicate dissapointment in a particular situation which might endanger the quality of an environment. Nor was I whinging, I was accusing people who buy the game of lowering the bar, judging them, and doing so with vim.

Oh, I wasn't saying you were whinging. I was saying that people who whinge about games not being taken seriously in popular culture are being intensely stupid. I do think 'This is why we can't have nice things' is a stupid thing to say, though. A God of War-inspired game by THQ isn't going to change things either way, not unless it's a breakaway hit. Level your complaint against more exploitative games like Dante's Inferno or even GoW3. They're the ones pushing things in the direction you don't like. This is just riding the wave of shit and hoping it doesn't break.

Hell, if anything, if this game does succeed it might even have a net positive result -- we may see studios looking to collaborate with established comic artists for art design -- they may even pick someone you like. (Of course, it's likely we'd just get a flood of Joe Mad copycats, but hope springs eternal.)

obonicus said:
I do think 'This is why we can't have nice things' is a stupid thing to say, though. A God of War-inspired game by THQ isn't going to change things either way, not unless it's a breakaway hit. Level your complaint against more exploitative games like Dante's Inferno or even GoW3. They're the ones pushing things in the direction you don't like. This is just riding the wave of shit and hoping it doesn't break.

Well, I respectfully disagree. I think this type of game does more damage by combining the autistic macho fantasy of the God of War vein and combining it with a bleak sense of design mediocrity. Its hard to say that God of War is a terrible videogame, because the play element is pretty robust. This, at first blush, may not have even that.

I also think that popular conceptions of videogames matter and should play a role in how we percieve and play, its only healthy. The more inbred the design culture gets, the lazier and less interesting it becomes in my opinion. That piece of concept art posted in this thread, with the enourmous arm and gun - http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/444064-0_super.jpg . Is this where we're at? Is this truly the only Earth on which I can live? No, I don't accept that.

You're right though, more collaborations with comic artists would be great. Or indeed, game artists, since they seem to be ignored most of the time.

Ardorx

Banned
Wolves Evolve said:

Who gives a shit what the mainstream culture thinks about games?

It's one game that has an art style that fits the needs of the game. It's not that big of a fucking deal.

batbeg

Wolves Evolve said:
Well, I respectfully disagree. I think this type of game does more damage by combining the autistic macho fantasy of the God of War vein and combining it with a bleak sense of design mediocrity. Its hard to say that God of War is a terrible videogame, because the play element is pretty robust. This, at first blush, may not have even that.

I also think that popular conceptions of videogames matter and should play a role in how we percieve and play, its only healthy. The more inbred the design culture gets, the lazier and less interesting it becomes in my opinion. That piece of concept art posted in this thread, with the enourmous arm and gun - http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/444064-0_super.jpg . Is this where we're at? Is this truly the only Earth on which I can live? No, I don't accept that.

You're right though, more collaborations with comic artists would be great. Or indeed, game artists, since they seem to be ignored most of the time.

So, basically, you don't like the style and equate it to macho fantasy drivel.

For me, I seem to be getting a new Zelda-styled game which bypasses the comically awful violence of GoW and instead drops me into comic book action.

BUT WHO IS RIGHT?!?!

John

Wolves Evolve said:

you care too much about what other people think.

plus, that concept art's ancient; the design won't be used.

Dude Abides

Banned
Wolves Evolve said:

Too bad. You're stuck with it. And all the overwrought forum posts in the world can't change it.

JdFoX187

Banned
A four-day delay, not too shabby. Excited for this game, I think the premise sounds great and is a breath of fresh air.

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
There is a Darksiders event happening in London UK next week! :D
It's an invite only event where lucky fans will be able to play Darksiders and meet Joe Madureira!

Want to play Darksiders before everyone else? All you need to do is email us on ukwebmaster@thq.com with your name, age and contact email address.

Details on THQ Website

batbeg

MisterTHQ said:
There is a Darksiders event happening in London UK next week! :D
It's an invite only event where lucky fans will be able to play Darksiders and meet Joe Madureira!

Want to play Darksiders before everyone else? All you need to do is email us on ukwebmaster@thq.com with your name, age and contact email address.

Details on THQ Website

Does this "bring a friend" policy apply to me, too? :( I don't wanna be lonely!

forrest

formerly nacire
Being a fan of Zelda gameplay mechanics and GOW combat I'm pretty hyped for this game. I love the art style, but looking at past iterations of WAR I'm not so sure I like where the final character landed. The boss characters that I've seen so far look pretty awesome from a style and design standpoint. Tiamat in particular looks phenomenal.

Arde5643

Am I the only one who prefer the final character design compared to his past iterations? :lol

Game definitely looks interesting and WAR doesn't seem as angsty or enraged emo like Kratos which is always good - seems more Hayabusa like by being deadpan and cold.

Don't care too much about the GoW combat, but hopefully the Zelda-like qualities shine through since it's always nice to have a competent Zelda game.

ZealousD

Arde5643 said:
Am I the only one who prefer the final character design compared to his past iterations? :lol

No. I like him better now than he was before.

Decado

As much as I like this genre, this game will have to be pretty awesome for me to buy. The timing isn't that great with all the similar titles coming in the first half of this year.

V_Ben

Banned
I just got my invite to this event. now to find out how to get there :D
btw, any other UK Gaffers going to this?

ZealousD

So I was checking out the ESRB page for this game, and I found the description for the game to be incredibly awesome. Probably the most awesome I've seen! I'll just leave it here.

Players roam the charred landscapes—overrun with demons and monsters—to regain lost powers, seek vengeance for a betrayal, and wrest the Earth from a demon's evil grip. Assuming the role of the First Horseman of the Apocalypse ("War"), players use giant blades and guns to kill angels, demons, skeletons, zombie-like creatures, and undead horses. The melee-style combat can be intense and frenetic: Players hack-and-slash enemies at a constant rate; screams, rending flesh, and swords clashing/slashing can be heard; and "quick-kill" animations depict deaths close-up. This last-mentioned aspect of combat allows players to dismember creatures in dramatic fashion; for example, players can cut off enemies' legs and arms, chop off their heads, snap their necks, or pull off their wings. Dark red blood gushes out of creatures' hearts, necks, and limbs in a fountain-like manner. In one sequence, blood flows out of a statue and forms a river in the grooves of a stone puzzle on the ground. Some female characters—mostly demon-like creatures—are depicted wearing tattered, revealing outfits that expose deep cleavage and portions of their buttocks.

Binabik15

ZealousD said:
So I was checking out the ESRB page for this game, and I found the description for the game to be incredibly awesome. Probably the most awesome I've seen! I'll just leave it here.

I love how cleavage and buttocks are listed together with such things as dismembering enemies with "fountais of blood" :D

If the game plays well I´ll get it, I always loved how it looked. The artwork with War and his bfg was just too good.

Yazuka

ZealousD said:
Lastly, we have the final box art:

5tyluw.jpg

Not sure I care for it, I think I liked the old box art better.

Yeah, might not be the best looking box art. But I like it.
Don't think I've seen the old box art.

Top Bottom