• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS preview update(videos and stuff)

batbeg

ZealousD said:
Also, is that a TV commercial on that page?

Not the one I saw during Futurama, anyway. Happy to see its already being advertised, and it's reminded me I really need to preorder this from Gamestop soon.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love that Joe Mad's art translated to 3D has a distinctly WoW-ish look to it. I love WoW's exaggerated artstyle, and I think MAD's fits Darksiders really well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Shit, I didn't realize this was going to be so early in January. I'm going to be playing FFXIII for a while, so I don't know when I'll actually be able to get to Darksiders...

Just watched the IGN walkthrough and I've got to say I'm kind of impressed. Game wasn't exactly on my radar before but it most certainly is now. With the PS3 port of Bayonetta looking so shit I may very well end up grabbing this instead.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The Community Site for Darksiders was just updated. Looks like they're doing one of those things where you can earn points for doing stuff, and then you can spend those points on getting swag.

http://community.darksiders.com/home

You also get points for referrals, so if you guys wanna help me earn some points, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you an invite. :D :lol

luffeN

first review is up:

... first review score for Darksiders is in and PLAY Magazine in the US has awarded it a perfect 10/10! Here is a quote from the article:"one of the most visually refined immersive and altogether robust video game experiences available on any system"

The first UK review in 360 Gamer should follow hot on its heels next week.

hellbook trailer 3 is also available here

ZealousD

banKai said:
first review is up:

10/10 sounds amazing.... but it is Play. As much as I'm excited about the game I always take their reviews with a grain of salt.

hellbook trailer 3 is also available here

Seriously, the guys making the trailers for this game must not sleep. Soooo many. :lol

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
... first review score for Darksiders is in and PLAY Magazine in the US has awarded it a perfect 10/10! Here is a quote from the article:"one of the most visually refined immersive and altogether robust video game experiences available on any system"
Holy crap... could it be? Are we finally looking at this gen's Vexx?!

:lol

bdouble

I'm excited for this game have been ever since the reveal and what type of game it is. So odd that not many of these types of games with this structure exist. Gaining meaningful powers to unlock new and secret areas through out the game just feels so right. Plus having a bit more depth in combat is never a bad thing. I don't get why people are into this game more. Its like Too Human where they think its just an Action game with crappy combat compared to DMC or NG but in reality has so much more (something that we don't get much of) and actually looks good unlike TH.

and the artist "Mad" seems tor really be into games. Not often that an art or PR guy does a good interview.

Jinaar

One bloody month to go. This game needs more hype. And love. And rubs in it's genital regions. Because there are many.

batbeg

GameStop and Darksiders clearly have a very, er, close relationship, what with the awesome pre-order bonus and commercial focus... and GameStops and Plays relationship need not really be mentioned... and THQ are obviously trying to market the hell out of the game... so that review seems mostly worthless to me.

bdouble said:
and the artist "Mad" seems tor really be into games. Not often that an art or PR guy does a good interview.

Joe isn't just the artist - Vigil Games is his company.

ZealousD

batbeg said:
and GameStops and Plays relationship need not really be mentioned...

I'm not aware they had one? Why would GameStop have a relationship with Play when they already have GameInformer?

I don't think GameStop even sold Play magazine, and I've seen them sell EGM, OXM, OPM, and Nintendo Power.

batbeg

ZealousD said:
I'm not aware they had one? Why would GameStop have a relationship with Play when they already have GameInformer?

Sorry, maybe I'm being cryptically stupid. I meant it more as Plays relationship to popular or expectedly popular titles :lol I've just woken up.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
batbeg said:
and GameStops and Plays relationship need not really be mentioned...
...I don't think I've ever even seen a Play magazine being sold in a Gamestop. What are you on about?

ZealousD

batbeg said:
I meant it more as Plays relationship to popular or expectedly popular titles :lol

:lol

Well, GTA excluded. Play is just weird about its reviews

batbeg said:
Joe isn't just the artist - Vigil Games is his company.

He's a co-founder with David Adams, who's the General Manager.

Malio

Well, this game sounds right up my alley and 10/10 (even if it is Play) sounds bad ass. I'd love to pre-order, so they need to get a demo up on XBL pronto.

Ain't pre-orderin' without a demo.

Cruzader

Banned
If anyone is preordering the PS3 version from Amazon, and dont have interest in the Home code, please let me know.

Edit: could trade item for BFBC2 US beta code or some paypal or GOW3 demo.

ZealousD

Looks like Australian Kotaku contributor David Wildgoose has had some time with the game. His thoughts on the first hour. If you consider story details within the first hour to be spoilerish, than avoid reading it.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/12/the-first-hour-of-darksiders-part-1/
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/12/the-first-hour-of-darksiders-part-2/

So, the big question is… Do I want to keep playing beyond the first hour?

Don’t tell anyone, but I already have. I’m about four hours in now and I’m hooked. Darksiders is a tricky game to pin down. The opening section really does just ease you in, teaching you the basics of combat and explaining how the world works. Once you hit the third hour, though, it opens up, giving you more room to explore and throwing you into enormous dungeons and elaborate environmental puzzle set-pieces. It really is Zelda-esque in so many ways. You even get a horse.

Darksiders is released on January 7. Based on what I’ve seen so far, I thoroughly recommend it.

January 7th is actually the European/Australian release date. NA has it street dated for January 5.

TheFallen

The damn Harvester/Scythe having unique moves makes it really hard for me to not pre-order this. Sigh, I hate Gamestop. Would've liked to wait a week or so to find out which version is better and see the reviews.

ZealousD

TheFallen said:
The damn Harvester/Scythe having unique moves makes it really hard for me to not pre-order this. Sigh, I hate Gamestop. Would've liked to wait a week or so to find out which version is better and see the reviews.

The Harvester is actually just an upgraded version of the normal scythe in the game. It's got a different skin and it has a soul collection bonus on it.

http://community.darksiders.com/forums/topic/1335#comment-7790

Or at least, that's what I got from that developer's post. It's slightly cryptic. That being said, you should preorder it anyway. That 100-page book is going to be fucking sexy.

360 version is likely going to be the better version, all the demos seem to be 360 copies. Haven't really heard either way whether the PS3 version is bad or not.

Edit: Here's a tip if you wanna wait for reviews. Pre-order the game, and pick it up along with your bonus on release day. DO NOT OPEN THE GAME. Then simply wait for the reviews of the game. If you don't like the reviews, simply return the unopened game back to GameStop for a full refund. Oh, and you'll still have the book for free.

ZealousD

Darksiders just got 9/10 review in 360 Gamer Magazine (UK).

Quick look through their reviews made them seem like a pretty typical reviewer, so there's some good news.

thetrin

Anyone who knows MAD's history should know he's a huge gamer.

1) He drew covers for PSM for years.

2) He actually ended up not finishing Battlechasers because he was too busy playing video games. :p

3) He lists both games and manga as huge influences for his art style.

Dude's an artist after my own heart!

I'll definitely be picking it up. Mark Hamill doing some of the voice acting is just icing on the cake.

Tokubetsu said:

24wufea.gif

ZealousD

thetrin said:
2) He actually ended up not finishing Battlechasers because he was too busy playing video games. :p

In the latest GameSpot interview, he actually said that he quit Battlechasers because he wanted to start making games. So not quite true. =P

TheFallen

ZealousD said:
Darksiders just got 9/10 review in 360 Gamer Magazine (UK).

Quick look through their reviews made them seem like a pretty typical reviewer, so there's some good news.
Huh, higher than I would've thought. Sounds like we may be in for a treat.

Tokubetsu

ZealousD said:
The Harvester is actually just an upgraded version of the normal scythe in the game. It's got a different skin and it has a soul collection bonus on it.

http://community.darksiders.com/forums/topic/1335#comment-7790

Or at least, that's what I got from that developer's post. It's slightly cryptic. That being said, you should preorder it anyway. That 100-page book is going to be fucking sexy.

360 version is likely going to be the better version, all the demos seem to be 360 copies. Haven't really heard either way whether the PS3 version is bad or not.

Edit: Here's a tip if you wanna wait for reviews. Pre-order the game, and pick it up along with your bonus on release day. DO NOT OPEN THE GAME. Then simply wait for the reviews of the game. If you don't like the reviews, simply return the unopened game back to GameStop for a full refund. Oh, and you'll still have the book for free.

Fuck reviews homie, I've been waiting on this game for at LEAST three years. I made my mind up about liking many moons ago. As far as pre-order goes, that War outfit for my Avatar would be cool but I gotta have the comic and art.

Feindflug

Lonesome_Raod said:
Really, really looking forward to this game. Everything about it oozes brilliance.

Well the game looks fun but technically the game looks like crap - blocky characters, bland textures, really flat lighting and low frame-rate with lots of tearing...I guess UE3 is not suited for action games.

Anyway I'm still interested in the game but I guess I'll wait for reviews and impressions from gaf.

ZealousD

Feindflug said:
Well the game looks fun but technically the game looks like crap - blocky characters, bland textures, really flat lighting and low frame-rate with lots of tearing...I guess UE3 is not suited for action games.

It's not UE3, it's a Vigil in-house engine.

Plus I really don't think it's as bad looking as you say it is. o_O

This game looks so damned good on all fronts, aestheticaly and technically. From a gameplay perspective the combat looks suitably deep for a good action game and it looks fun while the exploration and platforming elements seems quite layered and involved. I don't understand why Darksiders is so under the radar.

Next year is going to be ridiculous. We have three kick ass looking action games coming out in January alone. Darksiders, Bayonetta and No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle.

lostxii

Feindflug said:

Anyway I'm still interested in the game but I guess I'll wait for reviews and impressions from gaf.

Technically, it looks great. And from previews, it seems the frame-rate rarely drops.

All the Zelda comparisons have got me pretty excited for this game. I look forward to seeing reviews come in/user feedback on how it turns out.

Feindflug

ZealousD said:
It's not UE3, it's a Vigil in-house engine.

Plus I really don't think it's as bad looking as you say it is. o_O

I was under the impression that it was UE3.

Anyway UE3 or not Darksiders is by far the worst-looking upcoming game of the genre - even DMC4 & NG2 look much better and both run at 60fps (Darksiders runs at 30fps with lots of tearing) not to mention Dante's Inferno, Bayonetta, GoW3 & Castlevania.

Art-wise is interesting I'll give you that but technical wise the game at each current state is a mess, hopefully the frame-rate problems will be ironed out.

Pre ordered from Play.com to get the war armor for Home avatar, looks like you get the same thing for the ugly 360 avatar things :D

If anyone gets an extra horse head from amazon.uk please let me know and I will get hold of an extra war armor code to trade for it.

thetrin

Feindflug said:

I think we're looking at different games. Looks great to me.

Top Bottom