• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders Warmastered Edition coming to Wii U on May 23rd

Forkball

THE WII U BABY

9vTaOax.jpg

Darksiders Warmastered Edition Wii U finally has a release date.

Look there's a box.

The Wii U version of the remaster comes out on 23rd May - half a year after it launched on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One - priced £14.99.

Some had thought the Wii U version cancelled, given the wait for news on a release date from publisher THQ Nordic. Well, it sounds like it'll actually come out for Nintendo's no longer in production console.

"Contrary to a couple of online rumours, Wii U version is on its way and by no means cancelled," the publisher said in a note to press today.

Darksiders Warmastered Edition is a remaster of the original Darksiders with a high definition resolution and performance improvements.

Nintendo has said The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is its last Wii U game, but third-parties are still releasing games for the console. We've got Darksiders Warmastered Edition in May, and Warner Bros. will launch Cars 3: Driven to Win, the game based on the upcoming Pixar movie, on Wii U as well as other platforms in June.

HardRojo

Lol and the news comes as there is a Humble Bundle available on PlayStation platforms for $15 that includes both DS games on PS3 and PS4 as well as other titles.

Darksiders 2 comes out at the beginning of the wii u, Darksiders 1 come sout at the end.

Well only axiom verge and cars 3 left to go.

I honestly wonder how well Darksiders 2 sold on the console. Like, if it turns out there's a strong niche there, then creating a port of the first game makes some sense, even if rather late.

Did they ever get around to finally finishing the Darksiders 2 Wii-U patch? It was a launch game that never got the patch due to THQ folding... It has horrendous performance.

The original developer doesnt exist any more

I understand, hasn't stopped Nordic from updating and re-releasing the games, though. They still get paid every time someone buys that broken game. They chose to buy the IP. If they are choosing to continue to support that property on the platform, they should actually support it.

Apathy

This feels like a "whatyearisit.jpg" moment. Come on Nordic, put it on the switch not on a dead console

Awesome. I'll definitely get pick it up. Enjoying continuing building up my Wii U collection.

Also Just Dance will be the last retail Wii U game.

I understand, hasn't stopped Nordic from updating and re-releasing the games, though. They still get paid every time someone buys that broken game. They chose to buy the IP. If they are choosing to continue to support that property on the platform, they should actually support it.

Paying a different developer to patch a game they arent familiar with is probably quite a big job for very little profit

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Probably would be quite an effort to port to switch as i dont believe UE3 supports it

Darksiders runs on its own engine, not UE3 :p. It's already been ported to every console under the sun at this point, sans Switch, don't see why a Switch port would be problematic

The original developer doesnt exist any more

This is a bit of a yes and no. For Deathinitive, we had Gunfire working on it, Gunfire being made up of original Darksiders staffers, who updated the engine to support new graphical features, made new textures etc. Made the game into quite a looker with the PBR they added. Then something happened and the game stopped receiving patches, despite them saying a patch was coming for literal ages. Then when Darksiders Warmastered comes out, turns out a different company entirely is working on that one and chaos ensues, granted they made big strides for the PC version at least, it's now a competent update imo. Superior to Deathinitive at the very least (and the original release).

Edit: Of course there are still people experiencing issues with the release lol. I'm lucky enough that both the remasters work much better than their respective original releases. Wish Nordic would take this a bit more seriously, the current guys haven't even been able to work out all the kinks in Warmastered and it's been said Darksiders 2 is supposed to get patched eventually as well.

Seik

Banned
Oh well, that will probably be the last Wii U retail game after Zelda.

At least it's a good game, so it buckles the buckle nicely.

Paying a different developer to patch a game they arent familiar with is probably quite a big job for very little profit

...and yet they are about to release Warmastered Edition.

...on a console on which the sequel to said games runs like shit. The very niche audience of people who want to play Darksiders and haven't already gotten it on another platform, or only own a Wii U, consists entirely of Wii U owners who have more than likely already purchased DS:2 and have that impression of how the games perform on the system.

Top Bottom