• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelatedBookake

What do you guys think is a good way to meet girls over the summer? Due to my summer job, I feel like it's harder to meet new people on a regular basis. Summer school starts in about a week for me, so I'd at least have a reason to be at school for a minute, but campus is mostly dead during the summer. I've been spending the last 8 months working on myself and I feel like I wanna try to be in a relationship soon. Any suggestions?

Atlas157

Delete her from all social media. Block numbers. More than anything else, please God, do not open any channel of communication with her.

I already did, thank you though.

What I'm trying to figure out is why I still feel so attached to her. I feel like any action I take towards moving on is wrong. Every time I think about any good memory with her I just break down. I miss her badly even though almost every day it was emotionally painful for me.

This was my first real relationship too, at 22 years old. That's why I don't know what I'm doing or why I feel these things right now.

What do you guys think is a good way to meet girls over the summer? Due to my summer job, I feel like it's harder to meet new people on a regular basis. Summer school starts in about a week for me, so I'd at least have a reason to be at school for a minute, but campus is mostly dead during the summer. I've been spending the last 8 months working on myself and I feel like I wanna try to be in a relationship soon. Any suggestions?

At the pool or in some co-ed sports league.

What I'm trying to figure out is why I still feel so attached to her. I feel like any action I take towards moving on is wrong. Every time I think about any good memory with her I just break down. I miss her badly even though almost every day it was emotionally painful for me.

I mean, you probably spent a bunch of time with her, you had lots of new experience, you had consistent sex with her (assumption but probably safe) and she was a consistent part of your life for 7ish months. Even if she was a shit person, it would be weird if you had no attachment for a relationship that long. So I mean, if you're still attached quite frankly that's normal man. That's nothing to be ashamed of or feel bad about.

It's a learning experience. Remember the good times you had fondly. No need to be bitter and feel like remembering it is bad. Just understand that sometimes stuff doesn't work out and you have to look forward to all the awesome experiences that are waiting for you in the future.

This was my first real relationship too, at 22 years old. That's why I don't know what I'm doing or why I feel these things right now.

Only 22? You're young too. So that's a bonus haha. Protip, most of us still dunno what the fuck were doing :p You just take it one day at a time and it figures itself out. (or so I tell myself haha)

Yeah man, there's no way I would get into that. You'd live the rest of your life knowing you were the consolation prize, the one she kept on the backburner while she tried to find something better and failed.

I don't see how that's a healthy relationship for either of you. You'll both be resentful from Day 0.

She didn't even keep him on the back burner, she totally ghosted him. She'll be telling herself "I could do better than NTGYK if I wanted too but" reasons.

Had a fun date today. Went first to a Costa, I had a water bottle so I didn't need anything and just waited for her to pay but then she asked why don't I get something and I thought why not try something new so I went for a cookie mocha. Before I know it, she's already paid for me haha! I was like you didn't have to but she replied "it's just a coffee ;)". Had a well-flowing conversation there. Walked to a park and sat down on the grass in the lovely sunny weather, chatted some more. Ended the date by going to the Las Vegas Arcade here in Leicester Square, paid for her so we could play pool, Street Fighter (beat her in that), and Tekken (she beat me on that). She was proper into the fighting games! Asked her if she wanted to meet up for a second date after Ramadan, she's up for it. She hinted that she'd be down to do something more active so if the second date happens, we'll do something more thrill seeking (she's already done a bungee jump while I haven't lol). We match on interests and as people, but if a second date happens, I need to flirt more.

Atlas157

I mean, you probably spent a bunch of time with her, you had lots of new experience, you had consistent sex with her (assumption but probably safe) and she was a consistent part of your life for 7ish months. Even if she was a shit person, it would be weird if you had no attachment for a relationship that long. So I mean, if you're still attached quite frankly that's normal man. That's nothing to be ashamed of or feel bad about.

It's a learning experience. Remember the good times you had fondly. No need to be bitter and feel like remembering it is bad. Just understand that sometimes stuff doesn't work out and you have to look forward to all the awesome experiences that are waiting for you in the future.

Only 22? You're young too. So that's a bonus haha. Protip, most of us still dunno what the fuck were doing :p You just take it one day at a time and it figures itself out. (or so I tell myself haha)

Thank you. I don't know how to put into words but I really appreciate the help, and from everyone else that replied to me as well. I feel better, and I'll try my best to move on. It'll still hurt for a while, but I'll keep looking forward to the future.

It's partly my fault that she broke up with me though. I have ADHD and it had a really negative impact on the relationship. She just got tired of my shit, which I understand completely.

What happens when you break up with someone in your situation is that your brain starts to retcon everything and delete the bad memories and just focus on the good ones. When you recognise this behaviour you'll be able to control you emotions better. Best get out there and start looking for someone new, 22 is still young.

Thank you. I don't know how to put into words but I really appreciate the help, and from everyone else that replied to me as well. I feel better, and I'll try my best to move on. It'll still hurt for a while, but I'll keep looking forward to the future.

It's partly my fault that she broke up with me though. I have ADHD and it had a really negative impact on the relationship. She just got tired of my shit, which I understand completely.

It's not your fault, stop with that shit right now. I lived with a guy that had ADHD and it was fine becuse he'd explain his behaviours and the ones he didn't know he had I understood why. If your own girlfriend wasn't capable of that too, that's on her.

Ledbetter

It's OK. I'm 22 too and I was in a similar situation (just instead of 7 months it was 7 years :p wouldn't say it was an abusive relationship but at the end she left me for another guy) and there are people in this thread that have already given you good advice here.

Believe me, it gets better. You need to start working on you, that means, if you need to go to therapy, do it. Start working out, I go to the gym but you can do something else like boxing or joining a basketball/soccer/etc. team. Do something to expand your horizons like cooking, play some instrument or another hobby of your interest. Start focusing on what you want to do as your career (I assume you go to school).

Eventually, you will stop thinking about your ex 24/7 and feeling sick just for that. Of course you won't forget everything but whenever you remember something good just smile and be thankful you had the opportunity to live that and if the bad memories come back, just think that how we deal with tragedy defines who we are. Someday you will feel ready to get back into the dating world, like I'm doing right now. We are young man haha.

If you need someone to talk to, you're welcome to PM me.

Atlas157

Thank you everyone. I'll take all of your advice to heart and try my best to move on and enjoy life. First thing I'll do is start going to the gym next week, and move on from there.

Thanks again.

fireflame

I assume this has already been asked, but have there been examples of gaffers successfully dating other gaffers, and possibly after reading this thread? Iknow some people from gaming communities wo intially met through irc and whose relationship worked very well, so i wonder.

I assume this has already been asked, but have there been examples of gaffers successfully dating other gaffers, and possibly after reading this thread? Iknow some people from gaming communities wo intially met through irc and whose relationship worked very well, so i wonder.

Tred carefully, Just becuse they reply to your posts does not mean anything is there and the chance of a backfire is high. There's lots of dating apps for that.

Peltz

I think you need NeoGAF Gold to see the NeoGAF Hook up [OT]

As of this week, I work near LAX. I left work at 330. I have to be to Irvine by 530.

I havent made it to the 710 yet. Fuck the 405 lol.

Do I have a shot?

Well.. this is my first time posting in this thread so I hope this is the right place for this.

My girlfriend of seven months broke up with me a few days ago, and completely cut contact with me today. The problem here is that she was extremely emotionally abusive and controlling. But I feel lost without her and I miss her very, very much still. I want her to come back but I also don't want to be hurt anymore.

I'm not very intelligent when it comes to relationship problems, or dealing with them, so any kind of advice would help fill this hole in my chest.

1. Recognize that what you're feeling is valid, that you're not wrong for feeling the way you do, and most importantly that it's NOT YOUR FAULT.

2. Erase everything of hers from your life. Delete her number, her emails, throw her stuff away in your room, everything.

3. Seriously consider therapy. When my wife left me I went into a pretty black spiral, and therapy helped a lot, and I wish I'd done it sooner.

4. Prepare yourself for her return, because if she is as abusive and controlling as she said, she'll want another hit of the feeling she gets from treating you that way. You need to be ready to stand up to her, respect yourself and say gtfo.

We did it brehs. Girlfriend status confirmed. Cute, age appropriate, decent job, well educated, it's all good. Moved into exclusivity pretty quick, but I'm happy with it. Now to let all my other suitors down...

As of this week, I work near LAX. I left work at 330. I have to be to Irvine by 530.

I havent made it to the 710 yet. Fuck the 405 lol.

Do I have a shot?

If she's LA-based, she will understand.

We did it brehs. Girlfriend status confirmed. Cute, age appropriate, decent job, well educated, it's all good. Moved into exclusivity pretty quick, but I'm happy with it. Now to let all my other suitors down...
Congrats. I hope you two can survive the many challenges of life together.

vern

That's the hardest part, telling the other ones you are seeing a girl. I am not sure if I should do the same, since my current girl I talked about yesterday is leaving in a couple months anyway. Maybe I should just keep my other suitors on the backburner, tell them I'm busy, check in every once in awhile with a good morning... lol life is difficult.

vern

Why the fuck am I playing real life Bloodborne?

I know you aren't white but I told you to gtfo of New York and get to Asia long ago. Not just for girls, but to actually have a decent, comfortable, succesful life. Being middle class in the US sucks man, it's a struggle everyday. You'll never get ahead. Especially in NY where it's so damn expensive. Your choices make you play real life bloodborne. There are so many other options out there.

Dude he's like me. A white professional dude in Asia. This is very true.

China GAF checking in

giphy.gif

AcridMeat

Banned
I actually know a decent amount who did. Two good friends met via GAF and are still happily together. I wouldn't say uh, look to this forum as an option but when opportunities present themselves why not?

Just don't post a thread about the messy break up after.
I thought you were a forever nomad? Congrats.

vern

China GAF checking in

giphy.gif

The only challenge I face is avoiding idiot drivers and idiots walking staring at their phones.

If I get fired I can find another good job in about 2 minutes. Any other typical "challenge " is easily faced out here. I'm always relaxed. Don't have to worry about anything.

I dunno. Personally, my revelation was to stop caring. It's one thing to dwell on flaws you can fix. It's another thing to feel bad over shit that you aint ever gonna change nor should want to. Nothing gonna make you asian so why even dwell? If that is their criteria so be it, peace then.

No point feeling some type of way about it as if being sad or mad will change anything. You feel better when you just like "yeah w/e".

You're right, it's just tough to understand something so stupid getting in the way.

I told my mom that I was annoyed at how my dad was doing this, she told him to quit it, he gave me a thirty minute lecture.

parents just don't understand

i dont know your parents, and i have no idea what your relationship with them is like, but have you tried to have a discussion with him as opposed to getting lectured?

Many times. Me and my dad both have short tempers. It doesn't get far.

Sucks man. give it another shot. be a mediator between you two. write him a note or something.

wait no give him a massage.

PS: today i figured out my heart is nice and strong! I fucking rekt the stress test at the cardiologist's office. So, stress is the culprit giving me heart palpitations. The only stressful thing in my life right now is dating.

When I think about people I like I uncontrollably rip ass, my heart skips around, and I get bloated feeling. Dating is literally ruining my body.

But when I'm laying around with the person I like, I'm on cloud 9. I think love will literally and figuratively save me.

That's the hardest part, telling the other ones you are seeing a girl. I am not sure if I should do the same, since my current girl I talked about yesterday is leaving in a couple months anyway. Maybe I should just keep my other suitors on the backburner, tell them I'm busy, check in every once in awhile with a good morning... lol life is difficult.
Most are annoying atm anyway.

China GAF checking in

giphy.gif

Thailand is similar, just really hot.

Just don't post a thread about the messy break up after.
I thought you were a forever nomad? Congrats.
I'm based in Thailand for a year, at least. May just keep a place here so I can always come "home". I've planted the seed with her that she should take the freelance accounting she's already doing and spin that into an internet-based business. Wish me luck.

see you back here in 4 months
I ain't even mad

Im in love with a girl who wont give me the time of day now. I had her and I fucked it up and it wasnt until after she broke up with me I realized how much I loved her. Now I am trying to get her back without looking like a desperate fuck. Not going too well so far.. Trying to be persistent but not obssesive. Fuck me Im an idiot.

Im in love with a girl who wont give me the time of day now. I had her and I fucked it up and it wasnt until after she broke up with me I realized how much I loved her. Now I am trying to get her back without looking like a desperate fuck. Not going too well so far.. Trying to be persistent but not obssesive. Fuck me Im an idiot.

Learn from it, move on and find someone else.

Did you cheat on her?

artsi

That's a lost cause dude. Move on to girls that give a fuck (both figuratively and literally).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom