• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT7| Tough Love

Probably doesn't mean much but uh... I have met someone a month or two ago. We started just casually chatting and recently our conversations have become much more intense? We'll talk for hours on end. Share some pretty dark stuff about our lives to one another. We shared some of our past night and we both ended up crying together, forming some strong connection as she described it.

She kind of said something about last night how she's dated mostly women but has had some feelings about dating guys. She usually never opens up to just regular friends which she replied with "You've been the exception to that".

There are some problems that emerge. She's a good 10 hours away from me and I'm a couple of years younger. I'm pretty bad at realizing what exactly is going on. I feel like, if there was something, I'd just end up not registering her hints. :/

There are several problems that emerge. You're focusing your attention on someone you'll be unable to see with any regularity. You've formed this bond over talking about how "dark" your pasts are. Even if she's completely into you: she's 10 hours away.

Do you actually want to date someone, or do you want an online girlfriend that you can cry with over Facetime?

Profile pictures are very deceiving.

Eventually you'll realize that, unless there's a full-body shot already there, she's fat.

Salamando

Probably doesn't mean much but uh... I have met someone a month or two ago. We started just casually chatting and recently our conversations have become much more intense? We'll talk for hours on end. Share some pretty dark stuff about our lives to one another. We shared some of our past night and we both ended up crying together, forming some strong connection as she described it.

She kind of said something about last night how she's dated mostly women but has had some feelings about dating guys. She usually never opens up to just regular friends which she replied with "You've been the exception to that".

There are some problems that emerge. She's a good 10 hours away from me and I'm a couple of years younger. I'm pretty bad at realizing what exactly is going on. I feel like, if there was something, I'd just end up not registering her hints. :/

Clarify. Were you crying together over text, over skype, or did you meet up in person? Have you ever met up in person?

Long distance relationships are hell...don't get into one without a strong foundation to start off of and a plan to turn it into a close-distance relationship. With a girl who's mostly a lesbian...there are less complex relationships you could enter in your own town.

As a side note me and the neighbour have been hanging out a lot lately. The friend thing is working out well. She even sent me a 👍 last time I got laid because we share bedroom walls and she can hear everything lol. Shes super cool though, no complaints. She even said a bit ago she had a GF over and they were fighting and that the headboard slamming into the wall lightened the mood and they had a good laugh over it. I pulled the bed away from the wall now though.

She said she has some straight girlfriends that would be interested so thats cool.
Eventually you'll realize that, unless there's a full-body shot already there, she's fat.
Lol true

AdanVC

GF continues ignoring me and the worst part is that she is back on fb posting, liking and tagging people on memes as usual. That clearly means she has been feeling better from her family issues wich is great! I got happy thinking she would message me in a matter of minutes after seeing that... but she didn't. She hasn't messaged me anything since tuesday wich was when she briefly told what she was going through with her family and the reason she hasn't messaged me in days, but that she still is very into this relationship... yet here I am, being ignored once again... I've had an awful week, I feel like absolute trash mentally and physically and it sucks that I can't even count with my actual GF to talk about my day. I feel sad. I feel frustrated I feel useless.

GF continues ignoring me and the worst part is that she is back on fb posting, liking and tagging people on memes as usual. That clearly means she has been feeling better from her family issues wich is great! I got happy thinking she would message me in a matter of minutes after seeing that... but she didn't. She hasn't messaged me anything since tuesday wich was when she briefly told what she was going through with her family and the reason she hasn't messaged me in days, but that she still is very into this relationship... yet here I am, being ignored once again... I've had an awful week, I feel like absolute trash mentally and physically and it sucks that I can't even count with my actual GF to talk about my day. I feel sad. I feel frustrated I feel useless.

Have you actually told her that you're feeling shitty from a long week and want to talk to her, or are you just stalking her Facebook posts and wondering why she's not reaching out to you? Don't complain about her inaction when you're equally taking no action.

Try to talk to her. If she rebuffs you when you clearly need the assistance of a partner, then break up with her, because she's already sending you a shit-ton of signals.

When people show you who they are, listen to them.

Ernest

Banned
Just got back from a 3rd date with a girl I'm liking more and more the more I spend time with her... but this third date (well, 4th if you wanna get technical) was kinda weird. Tonight's date was her idea and we hung out in her 'hood. I'm sure she was just tired (she said as much), and she was, but it was more than that, as she seemed more distant, whereas even the first date, and especially the 2nd, she was gregarious, intimate and completely charming, but tonight, she was just out of it and couldn't keep a thought straight and even though we made out a bunch before, she didn't even want a kiss tonight. Weird. We do have plans for next weekend, so we'll see what happens.

There are several problems that emerge. You're focusing your attention on someone you'll be unable to see with any regularity. You've formed this bond over talking about how "dark" your pasts are. Even if she's completely into you: she's 10 hours away.

Do you actually want to date someone, or do you want an online girlfriend that you can cry with over Facetime?

I recently got out of another relationship that was a pretty lengthy relationship. I guess, I'm just filling in some open wounds.Us having that having that emotional rollercoaster last night was a first. Never was actually intended to happen until she brought up some stuff. Overall we have had pretty positive conversations.

You are right about her being ten hours away. That's a problem. I'm not sure If I'm exactly readyto dive into another relationship. I just don't know if she's making signal. I have a hard time registering those sort of things. I'm usually forward about people who I genuinely like and appreciate a more forward approach.

Clarify. Were you crying together over text, over skype, or did you meet up in person? Have you ever met up in person?

Long distance relationships are hell...don't get into one without a strong foundation to start off of and a plan to turn it into a close-distance relationship. With a girl who's mostly a lesbian...there are less complex relationships you could enter in your own town.

It was over Skype. We haven't met. With her moving soon, that may end up happening. Distance would be cut in half probably. Definitely is the complexity about her recent choices of dating exclusively women. LDRs do sound pretty harsh. I suppose I'll just k

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Wait a tick. I have no full body shots. 🤔
Get some.
I've been asked to put up full body shots from girls when I didn't have them, and with good reason.
Even if you're not proud of your body, it's much better to be honest than to have them disappointed on your first meeting.

Get some.
I've been asked to put up full body shots from girls when I didn't have them, and with good reason.
Even if you're not proud of your body, it's much better to be honest than to have them disappointed on your first meeting.
Now that I think f it I do have one. Its from the side with a few buds at the bar but it gives a general idea of my body type. I need to have a dating profile photo shoot.

I like the advice given in here. Always honest even if brutally so. Crazy bacon and AD are good examples. I've noticed that I'm better at handling some situations from my short time being active in this thread. It really is the best thread on GAF. Some success stories, some epic fails *cough*. Good times.

artsi

I'm sorry bro but I think you would be better breaking it off with her if this continues.
To me it seems like whatever reason she gave you was just an excuse to not have to spend time with you, or in your relationship.

You deserve better dude.

Scotch

Thanks for all the comments so far, I really appreciate it. It puts into perspective a lot of things I should have considered. I feel a lot better about the rejection itself now. However, I feel like shit and embarrassed at how I handled this now. I really feel like I need to do a more formal apology, or should I let this blow over? I did say sorry after she rejected me, but I didn't grasp the magnitude of what she would feel or think from what I would say.
You'll be alright, my dude. The fact that you can take advice and critique bodes well for you. The reason for the harsh response to your post is that lots of us have made the same mistakes. It pains me reading your story, mostly because it reminded me I did something similar in my younger days (telling a girl I had a crush on her). In a few years you'll cringe yourself to sleep over memories like these.

She says she's still very much into this relationship, but actions speak louder than words. When was the last time you even saw her? Talk to her about it, and if her behaviour doesn't change, break up with her. You do know you can message her, right?

saizo

Got the booty
Sex was not the greatest
Still caught feelings

Asked her if she wanted to get a drink.
Her: I don't think that's a good idea.
Me: That's so ominous
Her: Haha ominous or proven not work?
Me: lol whut. not sure what you're talking about here.

I kinda know what she's talking about. Had some issues in the sack... did I just get burned?

Llyranor

You are less important to her than fb memes. Think about that for a moment.

tearsofash

lots of girls tell me that I make them feel 'safe' or that im the only one who makes them feel like they matter. sometimes they crash at my apartment and sleep in the same bed with me. sometimes we hold hands. it's nice.

Ernest

Banned
Everybody has off days don't think too much of it at this point.
She already texted me, saying sorry for being "weird" last night.

lots of girls tell me that I make them feel 'safe' or that im the only one who makes them feel like they matter. sometimes they crash at my apartment and sleep in the same bed with me. sometimes we hold hands. it's nice.
Is that the extent of what YOU want out of these relationships?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yea prolly just the rejection talkin. Thanks for the #toughlove
Just my 2 cents, but her response seems to be more about not believing a relationship can form after a one night stand than having any issues with your performance.
No reason to feel bad, bro.

Whats with the cuddle shaming?

I got to lock something down soon. Im balding in the front now pretty damn quick and once I have to start shaving my head I think its going to become exponentially harder to find a potential mating partner.

saizo

Just my 2 cents, but her response seems to be more about not believing a relationship can form after a one night stand than having any issues with your performance.
No reason to feel bad, bro.

Not my first tangle with her tbh. Talked with her before and she said she doesn't do relationships which should be a flag for me right away.

Also we work together but things have been fine since.

Astral

Whats with the cuddle shaming?

I got to lock something down soon. Im balding in the front now pretty damn quick and once I have to start shaving my head I think its going to become exponentially harder to find a potential mating partner.

You don't cuddle with your friends.

Cuddle bitches by definition don't get sex.
If thats all the person you quoted is getting is cuddles and hand holding from girls then hell I agree with you but if hes getting his hood sucked before or after then I wouldnt really consider them a cuddle bitch. Thats why pancakes question needs answering.

Girls want to cuddle me too. I dont enjoy it but I do it sometimes. I been told the same thing "I make them feel safe" and shit. But they also want to get jiggy with it.

Edit: rereading the original post, it doesnt sound like hanky panky is happening.

If thats all the person you quoted is getting is cuddles and hand holding from girls then hell I agree with you but if hes getting his hood sucked before or after then I wouldnt really consider them a cuddle bitch. Thats why pancakes question needs answering.

Girls want to cuddle me too. I dont enjoy it but I do it sometimes. I been told the same thing "I make them feel safe" and shit. But they also want to get jiggy with it.

Edit: rereading the original post, it doesnt sound like hanky panky is happenings.

iirc TearsofAsh is a she

So I was hoping I could get smoothGAF's advice on the phenomenon known as "Taking It Slow".

I'm 32, and the wide majority of the relationships I've been in (and all of them in the past 10 years have been this way) have been the kind where we crash into each other full speed ahead basically. Quickly going from first date to sex and hanging out all the time. Sometimes those worked out and lasted a long time, and sometimes not. But because of how long it's been since I've dated someone that wants to take things slow, it's almost like a brand new thing to me, considering I'm now a much more mature, stable, confident, and independent person than I was 10+ years ago.

I recently went out on some dates with a girl I met on OKC. We hit it off extremely well on the first date and went out again a few days later. Second date went even better and we were mildly affectionate and flirty with one another. Every now and then she would kiss me and the night ended with a hug goodbye. Date #3 was an art show and drinks, where things built upon the last, and I ended up staying the night at her place because we ubered and we both had a bit to drink. She asked me to sleep in her bed with her but that we wouldn't be having sex. It was great, and we mentioned wanting to see each other exclusively. We're going out later today for a museum and dinner.

The only thing I'm struggling with though, is that unless we're about to go on a date, I don't hear from her at all. No text, no calls, no messenger, nothing. On paper, it isn't that big of a deal and I'd much rather this than the type that doesn't stop contacting me 24/7, but considering it's so ingrained in my subconscious that people chat and talk casually, it's kinda weird. Every now and then I'll shoot her a message if there's something "I just have to tell her", IE: "apparently that super rare comic you were talking about is easily available at X shop I'm at!" and she'll respond maybe a day later with a short response and the conversation just kind of ends.

So my question is this, I guess: do some people (not just women) just not like to talk and chat unless they're in person? I know a lot of guys *hate* chit chat unless they're hanging out with people, and they just "tolerate" it from their SO's. I know we all have our own lives and schedules, and we keep busy with our own stuff in our own ways. I guess I'm just wondering if that's a normal thing with some people, and if I should back off as not to annoy or pester her, or if it's all part of the "taking things slow" process.

****NOTE: yes, as with almost every question on here, you guys will respond with "just ask her" etc. but this is the kind of thing that is not only super awkward to just inquire about, but the act of inquiry could come off as clingy or weird, and I'd rather not fuck this up so early on. I REALLY like her.****

Yup, he literally said sleep in the same bed.

My wife as I do like cuddles and holding hands. Nothing wrong with that if you are in a relationship. But if you've gone so far as to be "safe" that you might as well be asexual and as far as the woman in concerned your pants have the anatomy as accurate as an Action Man/GI Joe and you think that this is actually getting closer to them then you are wrong.
My point of view is that I'm being used since its usually right after a breakup or something. But I'm OK with that. I dont get attatched. I dont mind being a rebound guy.

iirc TearsofAsh is a she
Oh my bad. Apologies for assuming, TearsofAsh.

So my question is this, I guess: do some people (not just women) just not like to talk and chat unless they're in person? I know a lot of guys *hate* chit chat unless they're hanging out with people, and they just "tolerate" it from their SO's. I know we all have our own lives and schedules, and we keep busy with our own stuff in our own ways. I guess I'm just wondering if that's a normal thing with some people, and if I should back off as not to annoy or pester her, or if it's all part of the "taking things slow" process.

Yes, some people are like this. For instance, the girl I was seeing for the past three months: we never talked on the phone, not even once, and we texted really rarely. That was just how she operated.

What I learned is this: I don't like it.

I want to be able to send stupid animal pictures and links to news articles to someone I'm seeing. I don't need constant conversations, but I like that feeling of contact, especially if I'm only seeing someone 1-2 times a week.

Others don't need or want that.

It's possible she's slow to warm up. Does she call her mother every day? Does she text her family or best friend? If so, then it's probably an "it takes time" issue. Is she just ungodly busy with work and/or school right now? Entirely possible that dating's been put in a little mental box where she only opens it when she's able to devote time and energy to it.

This is one of those situations where it's possible that she can't or won't give you what you want. Maybe not for a while (and maybe not ever). You need to decide if you can accept it.

Yeah I'm one of those people that like a lot of contact when I'm with someone. I like texting funny shit all day while I'm at work and shit. I wont ever lay it on thick in the begining but once we are a thing I will pester them all day. Im not much for talking on the phone but I get a certain level of clingy for sure. Not overly but a little at least. I'd like if someone was the same towards me. Makes me feel wanted. If someone was ignoring or too busy for me all the time it would bother me.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yeah I'm one of those people that like a lot of contact when I'm with someone. I like texting funny shit all day while I'm at work and shit. I wont ever lay it on thick in the begining but once we are a thing I will pester them all day. Im not much for talking on the phone but I get a certain level of clingy for sure. Not overly but a little at least. I'd like if someone was the same towards me. Makes me feel wanted. If someone was ignoring or too busy for me all the time it would bother me.

Yep, I'm the same way. Last girl I was with ignored me if we weren't in the same room and dumped me because I texted her too often (like once a day, since she never replied). Made me feel unwanted and insecure about my value to her. Generally if you're not into talking to me much then all the dating is just a sham anyway and you don't actually like me.

Ernest

Banned
So my question is this, I guess: do some people (not just women) just not like to talk and chat unless they're in person?
Yes, absolutely.

Me, myself, I like a bit of balance through different forms of communication, but weighted far more towards in-person. Some contact through text/email, but very limited, maybe a text or two during the day, saving ourselves mostly for in-person contact.

Top Bottom