• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Bateson and Jesper Kyd dumped from Hitman : Absolution [Bateson Responds]

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ZombieFred said:
Chaos Theory still stands as the best stealth games ever created, and one of the best co-op stealth experiences made. That innovation in use of stealth, sound, and game design has outdone anything in most Hitman games in its series.

True but the amazing amount of ways you can do objectives, even with Silent Assassin, puts it ahead for me.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
HK-47 said:
True but the amazing amount of ways you can do objectives, even with Silent Assassin, puts it ahead for me.

Definitely agree here but the big difference between the two is how the "sandbox" works in the two games, where Splinter Cell is more objective and linear in comparison to Hitman's robust levels IO created. They're still stellar games to acknowledge for what they do.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Messi said:
the other thread and in edge magazine.
That's a shame

I tried to avoid most of the other thread for not spoiling myself but maybe I'll take a look again

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
HK-47 said:
Thief > Splinter Cell > Hitman > Assassins Creed > Metal Gear

Hitman Absolution will have to be really bad to drop it below AC as a series.

Assassins Creed is like The Chronicles of Riddick and Batman AA were stealth is not the main focus.

I'd put Tenchu under Thief, Splinter Cell and Hitman

Apparently blood money was too expensive and pirated too much, that's why they're shitting all over the fans who actually bought the game and instead make a more expensive game that doesn't appeal to them anymore.

21ki1r7.png

I don't get it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Any high profile game will suffer lots of piracy. I have a hard time believing Blood Money wasnt profitable.

HK-47 said:
Any high profile game will suffer lots of piracy. I have a hard time believing Blood Money wasnt profitable.
I can actually see the target audience they're going for pirating it more than the original hitman audience.
Because I bought all the hitman games, and so did my friends. That's what you do when you're a fan.
Well... have fun with your new target audience IO.

Soda

In another thread I proposed that we as neogaf write a unified letter expressing our concerns with the direction Hitman was going in. A few shit on my idea, but given what we know about Absolution I'd like to bring that suggestion back up.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ahoi-Brause said:
Apparently blood money was too expensive and pirated too much, that's why they're shitting all over the fans who actually bought the game and instead make a more expensive game that doesn't appeal to them anymore.

http://i55.tinypic.com/21ki1r7.png

I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

HD games are expensive,but more action and more cinematic ( they way they are going)will make it more expensive.

And what piracy have to do with changing the shit out of the game? guess they want to make it crap so no one bother to pirate it.

Pooya

regarding Hitman sales, this is what they said when Square-Enix bought Eidos
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-enix-exposes-sales-results

The Hitman series sold 8 million units, with Hitman 2: Silent Assassin proving the most popular at nearly 4 million copies alone. Kane & Lynch sold just under 2 million units

4m for the other 3.

it was certainly not doing so well. Kane & Lynch probably did better than Blood Money because it got a sequel first.

Soda said:
In another thread I proposed that we as neogaf write a unified letter expressing our concerns with the direction Hitman was going in. A few shit on my idea, but given what we know about Absolution I'd like to bring that suggestion back up.
That and keep nagging them on twitter.
They gotta get the memo somewhen eventually. Loyal hitman fans won't buy a dumbed down 5hitman and loyal CoD fans are too busy playing CoD.

that's fucking stupid. comes down to money once again. I've lost all hope at this point. for a while the only people interested in the series were the hardcore fans. did that ever change? the ushering in of a new generation on the Dev team seems to be the worst thing possible. this is my personal hell. thief better nnot get boned

Soda

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
that's fucking stupid. comes down to money once again. I've lost all hope at this point. for a while the only people interested in the series were the hardcore fans. did that ever change? the ushering in of a new generation on the Dev team seems to be the worst thing possible. this is my personal hell. thief better nnot get boned
Thief: foreclosed homes

Stitch

Gold Member
Ahoi-Brause said:

http://i55.tinypic.com/21ki1r7.png

I don't get it.
oh the piracy excuse. we are making a shit game because our good game was pirated a lot. stupid assholes!

szaromir

Banned
Assassin's Creed Brohood can play like a great stealth game at times. Nothing too fleshed out compare to Splinter Cell or whatnot, but the basic mechanics are there.

They dumped Jesper Kyd? That's like, totally crazy. Though I'm sure he'll find a job somewhere.

Munin

Ahoi-Brause said:
That and keep nagging them on twitter.
They gotta get the memo somewhen eventually. Loyal hitman fans won't buy a dumbed down 5hitman and loyal CoD fans are too busy playing CoD.

You really think they don't know exactly what they are doing already? And do you really think that the few hundred or thousand hardcore fans are going to be a priority over the millions of mainstream guys who don't know the series at all before, read a random Game Informer preview or hear from their friends about this game and then buy it?

Munin said:
You really think they don't know exactly what they are doing already? And do you really think that the few hundred or thousand hardcore fans are going to be a priority over the millions of mainstream guys who don't know the series at all before, read a random Game Informer preview or hear from their friends about this game and then buy it?
Because not listening to the fans worked so great for conviction?

StuBurns

Banned
I was very excited about the SE merger, I thought they were handling DE0 correctly, and CD were saying the right things about Tomb Raider, but now I'm hearing DE0 is shit, Tomb Raider has a moronic detective mode, I'm getting concerned. If they fuck up Thief they're dead to me.

szaromir said:
Assassin's Creed Brohood can play like a great stealth game at times. Nothing too fleshed out compare to Splinter Cell or whatnot, but the basic mechanics are there.

They dumped Jesper Kyd? That's like, totally crazy. Though I'm sure he'll find a job somewhere.

All modern stealth games let you go non-lethal. You can only viciously murder people in Assassin's Creed.

Foffy

Banned
You know, I was willing to handle the gameplay changes if they kept Jesper's atmospheric score and David Bateson's fantastic role as 47...

I have no hopes for the game. This isn't Hitman outside of the character model.

Seriously, how can you shaft Bateson? 47 was modeled after him for fucks sake.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I guess they go with ClifyB argument: "these nerds know what torrent is so they probably will pirate it". So let's make it non-nerd friendly.

RedSwirl

Assassin's Creed is pretty much the closest thing to a decent stealth game this generation excluding MGS4.

That's just sad.

Actually no, the best current gen stealth game I've played is probably Peace Walker: a PSP game.

That's still just sad.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
I'd love to see Nintendo try to do this with Mario.

"Yeah, Kojii Kondo and Charles Martinet are out. We're going to have a generic rock sound track created by in-house musicians. Also, Mario is now going to be able to use a machinegun and will be voiced by Nolan North. Sales projections show this will cause sales to jump approximately one jillion percent."

But yeah, it sounds either like business suits are making the artistic and design decisions (never ever a good sign) or after the abysmal failures that were Kane and Lynch 1 and 2 have driven the development team to be insanely conservative when it comes to what sort of game they're going to make (which means we'll be getting uninspired dreck from a team too afraid to do anything good). Either way, I'm going to go ahead and call this DOA.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
So this is just Hitman in name only. :(

I still want to play it. I haven't bought a used game for this generation of hardware but this will be the first.

MMaRsu said:
In my opinion, I say we raise a stink and see if we can get Bateson and Kyd back. Since it pretty much happened for Max Payne 3.

Or we could assume that there was a reason for the change, and that the devs know what they should be doing with their own franchise. Either or.

Deadbeat

Banned
whatevermort said:
Or we could assume that there was a reason for the change, and that the devs know what they should be doing with their own franchise. Either or.
Kind of like Capcom handing DMC off to Ninja Theory. They know what they are doing and any poor showing of the game should be regarded as a "wait and see. you will be proven wrong the game will rock!"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
whatevermort said:

Why be optimistic when you can be realistic?

eshwaaz

How in the hell can they not use Bateson? His voice and delivery are absolutely perfect for the character. There's no explaining this decision away. Just baffling.

vpance

Maybe they got rid of Bateson because they're going with that whole mocap + voice over capture method at the same time thing, and they didn't think he could do it? They probably wanted another Hollywood actor for that. Stupid regardless.

No Kyd is a huge disappointment. With him not having done anything for IOI in ages the relationship must have soured. A lot of the original devs from past Hitmans have basically all left the company post Blood Money.

Enkidu

So I searched around a bit on google and found this interview with Bateson:
http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2010/10/21/agent-47-speaks-an-interview-with-david-bateson/
Where he says this:
Retroplayer- Has there been any more talk of Hitman 5? If so, what can we expect?

David- I have to plead the 5th Amendment on this one. I am under contract not to say anything. There have been delays. However, like I said earlier, if the artwork is anything to go by… brace yourself!
So it seems he was involved at some point. Did they dump him without telling him?

Red Blaster said:
All modern stealth games let you go non-lethal. You can only viciously murder people in Assassin's Creed.
To be pedantic, if you use your fist weapon instead of the hidden blade, Ezio will actually knock your opponent out or only disable them, he doesn't kill them. But I do understand the point you are trying to make about the differences.

RevDM

Banned
eshwaaz said:
How in the hell can they not use Bateson? His voice and delivery are absolutely perfect for the character. There's no explaining this decision away. Just baffling.

Most likely because he is "too expensive"

47 will likely be voiced by one of these guys

xtranormal1.png

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Not gonna lie, no Bateson or Kyd is pretty depressing. I can sort of understand Kyd being gone because he is probably too busy doing the Assasin Creed's soundtracks, apparently his replacement Peter Peter (lol what a weird name) has worked with Kyd in the past so the music for Absolution may not suck after all, maybe.
I don't why the hell they replaced Bateson (if they really did, i need confirmation straight from IO) that dude made a pretty good and memorable 47 even tough he didn't have that many lines to work with it. Maybe it has something to do with their new mocap stuff that they are planning to put into the game.

ElRenoRaven

WHAT? Why would you dump the voice of Agent 47? That would be like replacing the voice of Master Chief with Gilbert Godfrey. Or replacing Mario's voice with Jim Nortons.

Edge says it is likely David Bateson will be replaced by "another recognizable face from TV or Film" who will work alongside the already announced Keith Carradine, Marsha Thompson

I'd bet on Timothy Olyphant. Seems like he would fit in with the "All Star Cast" bullet point they are looking to get.

All the Mo-Cap and voice recording is sppsed to be going down at Giant Studios

RevDM

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
Edge says it is likely David Bateson will be replaced by "another recognizable face from TV or Film" who will work alongside the already announced Keith Carradine, Marsha Thompson

I'd bet on Timothy Olyphant. Seems like he would fit in with the "All Star Cast" bullet point they are looking to get.

All the Mo-Cap and voice recording is sppsed to be going down at Giant Studios

TBH if anything it will probably be the guy playing 47 in the movie (not Olyphant) that is being coreleased with the game.

The only person I want to see play 47 is Statham, but I don't think I could handle the shock of 47 having a British accent so if it is Statham lets hope he has been practicing his American accent lol.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Well in memory of the Hitman franchise, I bought Blood Money again.

The more I read Edge, the sadder I get...

They describe a "Helicopter Level where Agent 47 dodges between cover to escape"

I am sure I played that level in SC: Conviction :/

broham

Oh man, this is like a bad dream. Any minute now I expect to wake up and say, thank fucking lord that was just a dream. Everything I've heard is so bad it's almost funny...almost.

webrunner

Ahoi-Brause said:

21ki1r7.png

I don't get it.

Exec 1: Well, the game sold well and we made a lot of money. That's good.

Exec 2: But it was pirated a lot.

Exec 1: Every game is pirated, the fact is we did make a lot of sales and that's what matters.

Boss's Son: Well what if we made a game nobody wants? then nobody'd pirate it!

Exec 1: ...

Exec 2: Uh.. I wasn't...

Boss's Son: What, is my idea STUPID? I can ask my DAD.

Exec 1: no no! It's a great idea, right Two?

Exec 2: Right! *nod nod*

Top Bottom