• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Bateson and Jesper Kyd dumped from Hitman : Absolution [Bateson Responds]

I think the series has more to lose from losing Kyd than Bateson. 47's voice has never been something to write home about - it's easily replaceable. As long as they don't go for Olyphant in order to match the awful movie, then I'm fine with that.

Xater

Totobeni said:
So..

-No one from the original dev team at all. ( it's most likely K&L team)
-Blood Money director is not even on this game too
-More actiony game
-Agent 47 is Rambo now.
-Not the same voice actor
-Jesper Kyd not doing the soundtrack

*sigh*

Yeah I am winding my expectations for this way down....

Jesper Kyd for me was pretty much the last straw. His music is awesome and he did some amazing stuff for Hitman. Well at least I will probably hear his music in Assassin's Creed Revelations...

kamspy

This is the worst one for me. I never really played X COM. I liked Conviction. DmC, eh, I can wait for a proper Capcom one. The Ninja Theory treatment doesn't seem permanent.

But this......

THIS.

FUCKING THIS

This is some real bullshit.

The way this industry treats VAs sometimes can be really awful. They can be doing these roles for years and years, become the expected voice of the character, and then work goes a little slow, then suddenly fans are asking them if they're voicing this new game that was just announced, that they had no idea existed. Then they have to start asking the company themselves, and sometimes, sometimes they get an answer.

Just look at this topic about Rising and Raiden's voice actor. Or how Sega basically dumped Ryan Drummond for an even worse Sonic voice actor (Jason Griffith) simply because they just decided to go with the 4Kids cast wholesale, even when Ryan had originally offered to move to go do the Sonic voice for the Sonic X dub and they turned him away. (And 4Kids made a mess of that dub. Do not judge that show by the terrible dub and pointless edits they made. They even removed Sonic music from a show about Sonic!)

Sega made a bigger production for changing the voice cast for Colors, although I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Griffith sent them an e-mail, "Just heard about Sonic Colors, sounds great, when do I get started?"

Edit: Timely addendum, this time from Konami and the Silent Hill series.

Sotha Sil

I have played each and every Hitman game, and I love them do death (tee hee). But as soon as I heard the Blood Money team wasn't creating the new game, I adjusted my expectations. I won't be disappointed. Jesper Kyd is great, but he's not the only composer of talent. Bateson will be hard to replace, but his voice never struck me as particularly memorable. Let's give these guys the benefit of the doubt, I say.

But then again, I didn't hate Deus Ex 2.

moniker

Why couldn't the just let this franchise rest in piece? There's not many great old IPs left to fuck up at this point. Just waiting for System Shock 3 (developed with "modern gamers" in mind) now.

Narag

moniker said:
Why couldn't the just let this franchise rest in piece? There's not many great old IPs left to fuck up at this point. Just waiting for System Shock 3 (developed with "modern gamers" in mind) now.

Don't think that'll happen with the rights issues System Shock has.

How can they not use the voice of the man they essentially modeled the character after?

639893-david_bateson_large.jpg

That's just silly.

Sotha Sil

Ahoi-Brause said:
What will they have to do to lose your benefit of doubt?
Ship the game with human feces?

Easy now. As I said, I love the series and Blood Money is one of my favorite games. It looks kinda bad so far, but I'll wait for the demo/extended previews.

There is no overreaction like a NeoGaf overreaction.

miladesn said:
it was certainly not doing so well. Kane & Lynch probably did better than Blood Money because it got a sequel first.

For what it is worth, K&L2 started development before they were done with they first one, so they weren't aware of potential sales.

wow whats with all these high profile sequels trying for 'mass appeal' and making bad design decisions?

i like the graphics in absolution and the fact that they added cover but other than that:

-'set piece moments' (helicopter chase) :(
-instinct mode to actually see the path of NPCs and see through walls? :(
-no kyd :(
-47's voice actor gone :( (no i do not think he's replaceable)

so far terrible additions to the franchise.

MMaRsu

Banned
bigboss370 said:
wow whats with all these high profile sequels trying for 'mass appeal' and making bad design decisions?

i like the graphics in absolution and the fact that they added cover but other than that:

-'set piece moments' (helicopter chase) :(
-instinct mode to actually see the path of NPCs and see through walls? :(
-no kyd :(
-47's voice actor gone :( (no i do not think he's replaceable)

so far terrible additions to the franchise.

Trying to get that Call of Duty money I suppose.

Well it seems we're all equally pissed off about this.
In the other thread WanderingWind and I jokingly suggested we should make an indy game that is like the original codename 47 or at least a hitman parody.
We should really do this.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I've been trying to remain optimistic about this game. It's getting harder to do so.

We need to see more content beyond just the tutorial level.

Also is there any conformation that the K&L team is behind Absolution?

MMaRsu

Banned
Michael Scott said it best

"Don't listen to your critics, listen to your fans"

Just caught this brilliant line in an The Office episode and just thought about this game right away lol.

daffy

Banned
Speedymanic said:
I think you should update the OP with the news that trial and error has been removed/toned to the point where you simply can't make mistakes.

Instinct mode replaces the map, you have to refill it by carrying out stealth kills (Conviction, anyone?), it's upgradable, it's used when donning a disguise, allows for you to 'read minds' on lower difficulties, highlights/shows guards, enemies routes, allows you to look through walls.

And let's not forget that the game supposedly enters a slo-mo mode when your cover is about to be blown, this allows you to do something to stay in the role of the disguise (pick up doughnut/something that relates to the disguise you've taken), which is admittedly cool, but was handled much better in BM with you having to find items relating to your disguise (tools, delivery box, etc) at the very beginning and not when you're about to be discovered.

SMH! :/
what in the fuck

Looks like the fanbase is getting a reboot as well.

spicy cho

ZombieFred said:
Chaos Theory still stands as the best stealth games ever created, and one of the best co-op stealth experiences made. That innovation in use of stealth, sound, and game design has outdone anything in most Hitman games in its series.
100% agree. Unfortunately it seems it and blood money are the last good entries in the genre. It's been a long time, and it may be even longer still.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The whole character of Agent 47 is the worst thing about Hitman anyway. He looks like a suspicious, leather-glove-wearing, head-barcode-tattooed killer who couldn't sneak into a psychopath convention without someone calling the police on him. It actually drags the series down, the design serves the game in no positive way, it just holds the game back.

This reminds me of how the fans complained that the Price in PoP 2008 didn't look Persian and spoke with an American accent, and then in PoPTM they brought back the actor from Sands of Time and some of the characters spoke Farsi and no one gave a flying fuck.

Last thing I'll cry about when it comes to Hitman is the team changing things. Otherwise all the fans are asking for are basically map packs for the same old game.

~Kinggi~ said:
Yeah it could have been a scenario where he is too busy with AC right now. Never know.

I was thinking the same thing. He is probably booked for the next two AC games. He has grown in popularity too, maybe IO just can't afford him anymore.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
The whole character of Agent 47 is the worst thing about Hitman anyway. He looks like a suspicious, leather-glove-wearing, head-barcode-tattooed killer who couldn't sneak into a psychopath convention without someone calling the police on him. It actually drags the series down, the design serves the game in no positive way, it just holds the game back.

This reminds me of how the fans complained that the Price in PoP 2008 didn't look Persian and spoke with an American accent, and then in PoPTM they brought back the actor from Sands of Time and some of the characters spoke Farsi and no one gave a flying fuck.

Last thing I'll cry about when it comes to Hitman is the team changing things. Otherwise all the fans are asking for are basically map packs for the same old game.

Wow really? This post was really stupid Ether_Snake :/.

What the fucking hell is wrong with developers these days.
I mean really, it feels like half the shit I would consider as common sense for a developer doesn't exist.

njr

Ether_Snake said:

That was never really a problem in the series. It was always based on disguises, you would rarely finish a mission without putting on some new clothes. Even still, almoat no one knows who he is or the fact that he exists.

Unfortunately in Absolution that's no longer the case. The way it sounds you won't see him doing something like checking into a hotel as Tobias Rieper, and take out his targets in full discretion.

Ether_Snake said:

I'd agree with you in some ways, but with his bald head and featureless face, I think the idea is he can blend in anywhere, be anyone, like a blank canvess. As for the barcode, that is rather daft, but just like Sam Fisher's bright green goggles, it's part of the series' identity.

Ether_Snake said:

uhhh, wat? no-body is complaining about a character redesign(thank god), because he still looks the same. they're changing his voice, which is a no no.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm complaining that people are complaining about the different voice actor when the character himself blows. Should have never been a Frankenstein-esque character to begin with. It holds the series back. It looks even dumber nowadays that this guy could pretend he's a florist or whatever else. The series should have always had a normal looking character who is an efficient hitman, but certainly not a complete freak that wouldn't make it out of an airport's checkpoint.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
miladesn said:
regarding Hitman sales, this is what they said when Square-Enix bought Eidos
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-enix-exposes-sales-results

4m for the other 3.

it was certainly not doing so well. Kane & Lynch probably did better than Blood Money because it got a sequel first.
Blood Money is supposedly at 2.1 million sold

It definitely seems like another Splinter Cell or Devil May Cry. Coming off extremely successful entries, only to drastically shift it towards popular trends hoping for the taste of the COD pie.

Ether_Snake said:
I'm complaining that people are complaining about the different voice actor when the character himself blows. Should have never been a Frankenstein-esque character to begin with. It holds the series back. It looks even dumber nowadays that this guy could pretend he's a florist or whatever else. The series should have always had a normal looking character who is an efficient hitman, but certainly not a complete freak that wouldn't make it out of an airport's checkpoint.
Clearly the dark humour inherent in the series has eluded you.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Maybe Kyd was too busy making the AC: Revelations OST?

Ether_Snake said:
That's part of the charme.
47 is about the most suspicious person you can imagine, a huge baldhead with a stern expression, wearing leather gloves being totally socially awkward (as proven in the first game where the chinese hooker thanks him with a kiss and he shudders).
NOTHING SUSPICIOUS ABOUT THAT.
And yet he's the most silent assassin of all time.

Turning him into some crazy action hero is a totally wrong approach for a series that had extremely self aware, subtle humor.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hitman Blood Money was absolutely one of the most terrific stealth-based gameplay I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

Having said that, can't wait to play th.... Wait what...

LOOKING THROUGH WALLS?

REALLY?

Top Bottom