• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Bateson and Jesper Kyd dumped from Hitman : Absolution [Bateson Responds]

I'm pretty butthurt about all this but thankfully I still have a few missions left in Blood Money because I only started playing it recently after trying the demo and thinking it was shit and I'm taking it slow.

But when I finish it, man, will I be depressed.

X26

Banned
While it's lame how they weren't properly informed, I don't see the issue, the studio has the right to hire whoever they want and if they want someone else doing the voice and music than power to them

I do think bateman has a very fitting voice for the role though, and despite how little 47 talked he did a good job, but again it's nothing to really get all that upset over as a fan

Messi

X26 said:
While it's lame how they weren't properly informed, I don't see the issue, the studio has the right to hire whoever they want and if they want someone else doing the voice and music than power to them

I do think bateman has a very fitting voice for the role though, and despite how little 47 talked he did a good job, but again it's nothing to really get all that upset over as a fan

How about recasting him with someone awful? Or how about the lack of kyd? His music made hitman even more awesome.

Ahoi-Brause said:
dqorog.jpg

Good night sweet prince
hey hey that's my post and my screenshot. lmao

edit: I will add something different as well then

fuck you IOI, right in the fucking hole

Enkidu

X26 said:

If the game looked like a proper sequel to Blood Money I'm sure fans would accept Bateson being replaced although they probably wouldn't be too happy about it. As it stands though, the game looks like a complete train-wreck and this is just another mistake on IO's part.

X26

Banned
Messi said:
How about recasting him with someone awful? Or how about the lack of kyd? His music made hitman even more awesome.

whether this is all a good idea or not isn't what I'm arguing (because really this just adds to the massive pile of things that are making this game sound like a mess), just that they're well within their right to make said decisions

Double D

Rez said:
Guys, let's just work together and make a Blood Money expansion pack. Dibs on director.

This is what I've been saying for years. I don't need a new engine or anything. Fuck, I'd rather have a voiceless character if it meant having DLC for Blood Money.

IO, just give me more fucking levels for Blood Money! Take my money!

Vik_Vaughn said:
This is what I've been saying for years. I don't need a new engine or anything. Fuck, I'd rather have a voiceless character if it meant having DLC for Blood Money.

IO, just give me more fucking levels for Blood Money! Take my money!
need that airport level

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Speedymanic said:
Personally I still don't understand why David did not play the role in the movie. He looks like Hitman and he is an incredibly good actor.
So he could've had a real shot of being in the movie? Did he audition?

Can't wait for IO to announce a soulless, tacked on multiplayer. That's basically the only thing that's missing to make Absolution perfect.

eshwaaz said:
Great. Instead of the subtle, unique, distinctive 47 we used to have, we now have yet another raspy, gravely, growling protagonist that sounds like a million other generic tough-guy video game characters out there.

I actually love it.

I heard it and burst out laughing. Great for humour.

I'm sad. He sounds nothing like 47. He didn't even try to sound like 47.

jg4xchamp

Meh. The series main voice actor is hardly anything that would move the needle for me. Frankly Hitman always was B-Tier when compared to actual good stealth games like Splinter Cell(Mostly Chaos Theory) or Thief. I thought it was pathetically easy.

I liked running around mardi gras and just going buck wild. That was kind of fun.

MMaRsu

Banned
Meh. The series main voice actor is hardly anything that would move the needle for me. Frankly Hitman always was B-Tier when compared to actual good stealth games like Splinter Cell(Mostly Chaos Theory) or Thief. I thought it was pathetically easy.

I liked running around mardi gras and just going buck wild. That was kind of fun.

Ehh what.. Hitman B-Tier compared to Splinter Cell? Okay Chaos Theory was THE SHIT but Blood Money dumps all over it. And comparing it to Thief is kind of apples/oranges imo.

You thought Hitman was easy? Did you ever play it on Silent Assassin?

-edit-
Damn just realised this thread is pretty damn old.. lol

Foffy

Banned
This bump had me hoping Bateson was added to the game. If I recall, didn't MGS: Portable Ops have Big Boss voiced by someone other than David Hayter, but the shitstorm caused Konami to get Hayter back?

Omikaru

This bump had me hoping Bateson was added to the game. If I recall, didn't MGS: Portable Ops have Big Boss voiced by someone other than David Hayter, but the shitstorm caused Konami to get Hayter back?

I've heard nothing about that, but Konami skimping on voice actors is not something I'd be surprised about. With The Twin Snakes, Konami wanted to pay the voice actors exactly the same amount they got for recording MGS1 (before the series was popular and they could command a better rate, so basically peanuts), but Hayter stepped in gave up half out of his own payment so everyone else could reprise their roles.

As for 47's new voice, first time I've heard it. Shit.

Foffy

Banned
I've heard nothing about that, but Konami skimping on voice actors is not something I'd be surprised about. With The Twin Snakes, Konami wanted to pay the voice actors exactly the same amount they got for recording MGS1 (before the series was popular and they could command a better rate, so basically peanuts), but Hayter stepped in gave up half out of his own payment so everyone else could reprise their roles.

I don't know if they never planned to truly abandon Hayter, but the first trailer to Portable Ops was voiced by someone other than Hayter. I believe Richard Doyle was the voice in the trailer, who later took up the actual role of Big Boss in another MGS game. :p

Saw this interview today and found this very interesting.

http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox-360/previews/hitman-absolution-io-interview.html

360Zine: Why was Agent 47's original voice actor David Bateson dropped for Hitman Absolution? That seems to be a big discussion point between fans.

CE: That's not actually something I can really talk to you about. I don't.. yeah. That's not really.. I'm sorry. If you want to talk about the fans, I think we are really happy about our fanbase. They are quite vocal and they are extremely loyal - they've been around for ages. They care so much about the next game that they're really concerned about a lot of stuff. I'm actually not that worried about it. We have a lot of user tests at IO and also in the States where we aim to get a lot of different people in there; people who have never played Hitman games, people who have never heard of Hitman, and also a lot of long-term fans. They play the game and give us feedback, so we're very much in touch with the different expectations.

^ This, along with other things they talk about in the interview. For example how all the missions seem to follow the narrative story now instead of being more of just open set pieces to explore and experiment, like in the previous games. This has made me very worried.

Ezduo

Banned
Saw this interview today and found this very interesting.

http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox-360/previews/hitman-absolution-io-interview.html

^ This, along with other things they talk about in the interview. For example how all the missions seem to follow the narrative story now instead of being more of just open set pieces to explore and experiment, like in the previous games. This has made me very worried.

"360Zine: Just to clarify, does Hitman Absolution open with the player
killing Diana?

Christian Elverdam, Gameplay Director, Hitman Absolution: That's true."

Oh for fucks sake.

I just don't know. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until I know for a fact that it won't play like Blood Money. All I know is I should be really excited for this considering how much I loved Blood Money but it's just not happening. Please God don't fuck this up.

"360Zine: Just to clarify, does Hitman Absolution open with the player
killing Diana?

Christian Elverdam, Gameplay Director, Hitman Absolution: That's true."

Oh for fucks sake.

I just don't know. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until I know for a fact that it won't play like Blood Money. All I know is I should be really excited for this considering how much I loved Blood Money but it's just not happening. Please God don't fuck this up.

I feel you man. On of the greatest things I think about all the Hitman games is that each mission had a new contract/s to kill. Also giving you a variety of ways to take them out.

IO keeps on thinking that people are more interested in their storytelling. If the Kane and Lynch games are any indication, they are not very good at it. I don't understand why they keep pushing it.

Also, all of this should probably be moved over to a new thread since we are kind of getting away from this threads topic.

Thief > Splinter Cell > Hitman > Metal gear > Syphon filter > Tenchu

Fixed that for you, AC doesn't even register as a stealth game to me, or as a good game.

Meanwhile the first syphon filter was cool and the first tenchus were amazing.
Splinter cell only gets a spot over hitman because of the brilliant double agent spies vs mercs multiplayer.

I feel you man. On of the greatest things I think about all the Hitman games is that each mission had a new contract/s to kill. Also giving you a variety of ways to take them out.

IO keeps on thinking that people are more interested in their storytelling. If the Kane and Lynch games are any indication, they are not very good at it. I don't understand why they keep pushing it.

Also, all of this should probably be moved over to a new thread since we are kind of getting away from this threads topic.

Side thing, but I thought KL2's story was at least really well-told (ridiculously short length asides)

Top Bottom