• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter not reprising his role as Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5? Statement

sega4ever

i've wanted japanese voice acting in metal gear games since the interactive sampler disk cd volume 8 which contained an english metal gear solid demo, but with japanese voice acting.

so good i cant believe its not butter.

Maddocks

2013-03-2816_44_15-dakxdbx.png

that damn david hayter jacked my avatar. bastard.

Mit-

He's not in it, and thinking that at this stage in development he could somehow be brought on to voice the entirety of both games is silly. They have their actors chosen. The game is in active development. You're all going to have to get over it.

Also that dude is mad salty on his Twitter. Like about everything.

Acorn

He's not in it, and thinking that at this stage in development he could somehow be brought on to voice the entirety of both games is silly. They have their actors chosen. The game is in active development. You're all going to have to get over it.

Hitman was pretty far along when they got the VA guy back.

Although I don't believe they had even cast his Agent 47s VA until then.

Hayter is the perfect voice for Solid (and I recognize that IV was a bit overdid) and will always be until he will be able to, I'm fine with someone else doing BigBoss, but if there is trace of Solid somewhere it's better to not letting him talk or it could really ruin the whole experience.
I don't believe Kojipro would arrive to this unless he/they felt Hayter was getting too much credit for his role, but that sounds too "drama queenesque" even for Hideo-san.

An iconic character like Solid could really suffer from something like this, I'll never forget when they changed the great italian VA for Tom Cruise, holy shit how they ruined it, even if I must say that the guy did good.

with Metal Gear you can't tell,
Quinton Flynn said the same about Rising right up till he was confirmed

Mit-

Hitman was pretty far along when they got the VA guy back.

Although I don't believe they had even cast his Agent 47s VA until then.

I imagine they bring voice actors on earlier and work with them much longer for Metal Gear games, with the amount of content present in them. Not to mention already having voice actors in the content they've shown, one of them being fucking Keifer Sutherland, and I imagine if Sutherland is Snake they definitely won't be changing that.

Maybe they're having Sutherland do mo-cap for Snake as well, and figured his body type and abilities would be realistic for the character (lol Splinter Cell).

Acorn

There was a thread about VA continuity through game franchises a couple of weeks ago. My feelings are the same as they were then.

The VA for main characters shouldn't change unless you are going for a complete reboot.

@mit

You're most probably correct, it's weird though. If it is Sutherland he would cost 10x what hayter would I'd imagine plus it breaks series continuity (I know continuity and MGS have a bad history but still).

Mit-

There was a thread about VA continuity through game franchises a couple of weeks ago. My feelings are the same as they were then.

The VA for main characters shouldn't change unless you are going for a complete reboot.

@mit

You're most probably correct, it's weird though. If it is Sutherland he would cost 10x what hayter would I'd imagine plus it breaks series continuity (I know continuity and MGS have a bad history but still).

Maybe they're making a movie starring Keifer Sutherland :V

But yeah, it seems with him not even being contacted, they're reasoning for passing on him might be personal or simply that they were not as happy with his performance and wanted something more (and didn't want to hurt his feelings).

dEvAnGeL

i have been a fan of this series for years, since the ps1 era, if this is truth and DH is not on the game i will pass on this game, changing the VA for a game of this caliber is completely stupid and it will backfire worse than they ever thought it would, is like changing the dude that does the halo MP voice overs or changing nolan north as nathan drake, there are some things you don't mess with kojima, regardless of the status you think you have on gaming, WE, the gamers that believed on your projects can all of the sudden stop doing so just like you gave a shit and mess with the core of the franchise we enjoy

Sapiens

Put me in the "I seriously can't believe people give a shit about this" boat.

David Hayter as Snake is not that great.

I associate Snake with his voice, of course, it's been 15 years, but I can live without him. I don't like how forced it always sounds.

I mean, anyone can do a Hayter-Snake impression.

But I'm sure it's all a part of some elaborate Kojima scheme in one way or another.

Whompa

Love Hayter, but I don't give a shit if Big Boss or whomever this is is being voiced by someone else.

Things change, people change. I'm over it.

i have been a fan of this series for years, since the ps1 era, if this is truth and DH is not on the game i will pass on this game, changing the VA for a game of this caliber is completely stupid and it will backfire worse than they ever thought it would, is like changing the dude that does the halo MP voice overs or changing nolan north as nathan drake, there are some things you don't mess with kojima, regardless of the status you think you have on gaming, WE, the gamers that believed on your projects can all of the sudden stop doing so just like you gave a shit and mess with the core of the franchise we enjoy

You remind me of this: http://ffxiii360.ytmnd.com/

As I said earlier, it's on par with changing Mario's voice. Charles Martinet has only be playing Mario for 3 years longer than Hayter has Snake. 15 years is a long time, and to change out his VA in a game set in the middle of a series.......

Acorn

Maybe they're making a movie starring Keifer Sutherland :V

But yeah, it seems with him not even being contacted, they're reasoning for passing on him might be personal or simply that they were not as happy with his performance and wanted something more (and didn't want to hurt his feelings).

I can see the performance reasoning if purely looking at 4's VA but I felt Hayter did the best he could with what he was given, he had to put on a more rough voice to get across the effects his body was going through.

People (and me) are disappointed because we have been through many iconic moments with Snake and they all have Hayter as the VA - he is snake.

I could see Sutherland as a movie snake(Especially after 24 the movie was canned), so if they are going down that route it makes sense I guess.

Sapiens

As I said earlier, it's on par with changing Mario's voice. Charles Martinet has only be playing Mario for 3 years longer than Hayter has Snake. 15 years is a long time, and to change out his VA in a game set in the middle of a series.......

...is not a big deal, because no one is playing a Mario game (or any game, really) for the voice acting.

Voice acting is always the first thing I notice as being lacking in games.

Change is good.

Imm0rt4l

Mario's voice is serviceable. Hayters older voice isn't very good, plus there does need to be a distinction between big boss and solid snake and it was already made in mgs4 when they casted Richard Doyle, who did a fantastic job.

I like to look at it this way. Kevin Konroy is only cast to voice Batman in movies they want the classic batman voice, but not all the animated movies ask for classic batman. It could be the same way here in that we aren't playing classic solid snake. Or Maybe it really is a wrap for Hayter. Too early to tell.

Roxas

I would be more butthurt about this except for the fact they are replacing him with kiefer fucking sutherland. Dude is awesome and has a great voice.

Idk voice changes can be pretty drastic. I still remember when Ash from the Pokemon TV show got his voice changed. That was a terrible terrible change.

Don

Mario's voice is serviceable. Hayters older voice isn't very good, plus there does need to be a distinction between big boss and solid snake and it was already made in mgs4 when they casted Richard Doyle, who did a fantastic job.

I'm not convinced that they are getting rid of Hayter to make a distinction between Solid Snake and Big Boss. Hayter still voiced Big Boss in Peace walker which is closer to this game in the timeline than MGS4.

Was any reason given as to why the Solid Snake sword DLC for Rising isn't being released outside of Japan? The only thing that I can see as preventing them from releasing that is getting Hayter to record dialogue for it.

The whole thing is sounding more like something is going on behind the scenes between Kojima Production and David Hayter.

Imm0rt4l

I'm not convinced that they are getting rid of Hayter to make a distinction between Solid Snake and Big Boss. Hayter still voiced Big Boss in Peace walker which is closer to this game in the timeline than MGS4.

Was any reason given as to why the Solid Snake sword DLC for Rising isn't being released outside of Japan? The only thing that I can see as preventing them from releasing that is getting Hayter to record dialogue for it.

The whole thing is sounding more like something is going on behind the scenes between Kojima Production and David Hayter.

Well of course he voiced him, he voiced big boss in mgs3 as well. But they could now be making the distinction seeing as this is the period where he becomes the big boss we new prior to mgs3. I'm not convinced either, just saying it's a very real possibility seein as mgs4 didn't have Hayter talking to himself.

and the solid snake sword wasn't released outside of Japan because the sword has the soul of snake imbued in it. They would probably require Hayter to come in and do voice work.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Idk voice changes can be pretty drastic. I still remember when Ash from the Pokemon TV show got his voice changed. That was a terrible terrible change.
They're replacing someone who sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon voice with Keifer Sutherland. That's an upgrade.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Kiefer Sutherland doing Snake in the MGS live-action movie would contradict Kojima who said recently that he wanted an actor that wasn't "recognized" as already other established pop character, so the actor could "grow" with the character...

Acorn

Kiefer Sutherland doing Snake in the MGS live-action movie would contradict Kojima who said recently that he wanted an actor that wasn't "recognized" as already other established pop character, so the actor could "grow" with the character...

Studios would likely put a kibosh to that, especially for a Videogame movie (which has a string of flops in its wake).

edit I mean in regards to an unknown actor.

Maddocks

How dare he undermine your contribution the Metal Gear franchise. When I think of Solid Snake I think of Maddocks.

you're god damn right.

he changed it anyway, seems he changes it on the fly every other day. So he knows his place, he will bend the knee like everyone else.

Shoyz

If it was Kiefer Sutherland speaking over Snake on the bike, color me not impressed. Awful voice replacement.

velociraptor

David Hayter is a good Solid Snake. However, I don't want him to voice Big Boss.

Richard Doyle as Big Boss >>> Hayter as Big Boss.

If it was Kiefer Sutherland speaking over Snake on the bike, color me not impressed. Awful voice replacement.

That wasn't Kiefer, but we can hear him in the gameplay video as both Ishmael and Snake, and I think he doesn't fit the part. He's just not right for being the voice of Snake.

moolhy

Banned
...is not a big deal, because no one is playing a Mario game (or any game, really) for the voice acting.

Voice acting is always the first thing I notice as being lacking in games.

Change is good.

There was absolute no need to dump the guy that's been with the character since the start, and knows the story inside and out.

Just change the script and the VA director.

Hayter's a great VA.

There was absolute no need to dump the guy that's been with the character since the start, and knows the story inside and out.

Just change the script and the VA director.

Hayter's a great VA.

You cannot fix hayter, he just sucks.

Only mgs1 was good and that was just a miracle.

No, he doesn't suck. You just have an irrational hatred for the man. He was fantastic in 1, and still great in 2. Meh performance in 3, but great again in 4. He was portraying a decrepit old man, so he nailed the voice.

Also, no voice actor could make some of the shit in 3 and 4 sound good.

diamount

Banned

People keep saying this but I don't even agree with that. Voice acting during the PS1/N64 era was extremely bad when rarely used, probably because it wasn't that much of a focal point.

Septimius

If Hayter still sounded like this I would've been very disappointed in the news indeed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F61qyDLZXvQ

But this is just too artificial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeqFfjSl1qk

Isn't this just cherry-picking though? I can agree that the last video isn't mind-blowing, but then again, I have this sort of feeling that it's not supposed to be, and that there's supposed to be a tone of irony with the whole thing. I never had any qualms about what he did in MGS3, so I can't relate to this.

At any rate, people seem to judge Hayter based on 4 and 3 to some extent, as if his direction there was not supervised. As if his performance wasn't made for the part. Having played through 1, 2 and 3 this winter, I never noticed anything but a 'younger' voice in 1. If anything, the only thing I would've ever reflected as sub-par would've been when he's trying to convince Raiden that he's Pliskin. But then again, it just might be the direction of "say it, but with a tone that you are trying to deceive". And we're right back to just Snake being a poor liar. I have no way of judging it one way or another. It's not so bad that it can't be blamed on direction. In that case, it's unfair to write him off without trying to change the direction, if the voice has been unsatisfactory for the last games.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sorry Hayter, you're not a good fit for 50-year old war scarred PTSD suffering tragic figure Big Boss. But you are the definitive voice of the pretty cartoonish Solid Snake.

Or were before any sense of professionalism ejected itself out of your body and petulant twitter tantrums cost you that role in the future and say a late game tease for a Metal Gear 1 remake.

Septimius

Sorry Hayter, you're not a good fit for 50-year old war scarred PTSD suffering tragic figure Big Boss. But you are the definitive voice of the pretty cartoonish Solid Snake.

Or were before any sense of professionalism ejected itself out of your body and petulant twitter tantrums cost you that role in the future and say a late game tease for a Metal Gear 1 remake.

There's a big contingency that this isn't just staged. Even if it is, aren't we blowing this out of proportion by saying it's a twitter tantrum? Didn't he just thank for the support and retweet the petition?

Salaadin

People keep saying this but I don't even agree with that. Voice acting during the PS1/N64 era was extremely bad when rarely used, probably because it wasn't that much of a focal point.
Just because everything else was bad doesn't mean that MGS1 (or Hayter)wasn't great. It and Legacy of Kain were largely seen as the best when it came to VAs back then.
Kris Zimmerman is a pretty great VA director.

Hayter in MGS1 was his best performance. He has drifted away from that some but I still dont think hes outright terrible like some do. Its well known that he was asked to change the voice by KojiPro to suit Snakes age and/or Big Boss and that could have resulted in him sounding forced.

So, a 44 year old voicing a 50 year old is entirely preposterous. Also, Big Boss is "a suffering tragic figure" while Solid Snake is "cartoonish". Gotcha.

There's a big contingency that this isn't just staged. Even if it is, aren't we blowing this out of proportion by saying it's a twitter tantrum? Didn't he just thank for the support and retweet the petition?

Possible scenario,

1. He was told by kojipro that he's not going to be on GZ/TPP
2. Goes on a twitter crusade/blackmail to see how people would react to him not being back as snake.
3. New trailers confirm that he is not the voice.
4. He confirms he's not the voice.
5. Yet retweets a petition to beg for him to be the voice.

The man can't take a hint. They don't want him back. There's a reason for this and if you ask me it shows on his recent performances.

Why retweet the petition? Why would you want to work for someone that clearly doesn't want you there? Is his ego so high that he truly believes that he knows snake better than kojipro? Given his comments post mgs4 I would say he's delusional.

So, a 44 year old voicing a 50 year old is entirely preposterous. Also, Big Boss is "a suffering tragic figure" while Solid Snake is "cartoonish". Gotcha.

I know, right? Big Boss, the guy who believes in Santa Claus and has a fetish for boxes is a totally serious, realistic character, and not absurd at all.

Also, Audie, do you happen to know the guy personally? You obviously have some kind of bone to pick with him.

Top Bottom