• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter not reprising his role as Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5? Statement

faridmon

Good. He sucked it up in MGS3 and 4. Time for something new.

Au Revoir, our sweet prince from MGS1.

He was amazing in 3.
Also, a lot of examples of Cognitive Dissonance in this thread. '' I didn't want Hayter anyway, he sucks''
Although his role in 4 was sort of disappointing, but I cannot see anyone else being Snake.... Unless there is no Snake

big-boss-saluteduzmv.jpg

I am surprised no one has posted the image
No image has ever been more appropriate.

:(

This has really annoyed me for some reason. I don;t normally care all that much about voice acting, but they've replaced an iconic part of the franchise with an actor I have an admittedly irrational dislike for. It'd be like having Nathan Drake voiced by Denzel Washington.

edit: Wait, is Sutherland playing Big Boss or someone else?

Qvoth

maybe he's playing big boss now?
so technically he's not playing as snake, thus that comment on early march

sega4ever

Akio Otsuka was still playing Snake in the Ground Zeroes trailer, so yeah, I don't think this is a "old Big Boss = new voice actor" thing.

Whoa bro.

Japanese voice actor of Snake is Ootuka Akio. He started his voice acting (nothing but voice acting) since 1988. He is one of the BEST voice actors in Japan, period.

Is hayter one of the best voice actors in America? I don't think so.

So let's not compare the two.

I really hope the US version will allow JP VA option as well. I want Ohtsuka's Snake.

But I guess its not going to happen.

i hope japanese voice acting is finally allowed in other regions, i want to know what a high quality snake sounds like.

Batzi

Banned
I'm going with Solid Snake being in this, thus Big Boss voiced by someone else.

^ my theory. Kojima confirmed that we will be seeing more of Solid Snake in the future and he said that prior to the unveil of Ground Zeroes so no he wasn't talking about MGS6. Solid Snake will most likely show up in MGS5 as a young Snake.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ my theory. Kojima confirmed that we will be seeing more of Solid Snake in the future and he said that prior to the unveil of Ground Zeroes. Solid Snake will most likely show up in MGS5 as a young Snake.

That would be cool. It would be fun if the final leg of the game was Metal Gear 1, but from the perspective of Big Boss.

This is tearing me up. As excited as I am about a new Metal Gear, I'm almost more dissappointed that Hayter supposedly won't be voicing Snake in whatever form he appears. We've already lost the classic MGS theme. Now we're losing the voice of a generation. 15 years of David Hayter voicing one of the most iconic protagonists in gaming. Tis a damn shame...

NeoUltima

Theory: Sutherland is playing Snake in the MGS movie and so they want him in the game for consistency sake.

(assuming the movie wasn't canned)

aerts1js

Hayter is snake. Lost a bit of respect towards Kojima if he hired sutherland as the voice actor just because he's more well known to the general non MGS audience.

Kevin Conroy is Batman
Peter Cullen is Optimus Prime
David Hayter is Snake/Big Boss

Others may fill those roles admirably but those are exclusively the voices i associate in my ind with those characters. Unless there is a good story/game reason for the change (or him just pulling the swerve and being solid snake), it will be a pretty tough pill to swallow for me, personally.

Mayor Adam West is Batman, not fucking Kevin Conroy.

They didn't even contacted him according to Hayter. Something is fishy.

But they know how much his going rate is though. That or Troy Baker got this gig too, he's like the new Nolan North.

Vamphuntr

^ my theory. Kojima confirmed that we will be seeing more of Solid Snake in the future and he said that prior to the unveil of Ground Zeroes so no he wasn't talking about MGS6. Solid Snake will most likely show up in MGS5 as a young Snake.

They will ask him to try and have the voice of a 12 years old kid? That will be something indeed.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing there is a story based reason for the change. Not just "oh hey we got another actor for the role, deal with it!"

Batzi

Banned
From David Hayter's official Facebook page through his contact Amanda
Hey...David personally sends a gigantic thank you to everyone who is on his side concerning the possible decision to not include him in the next MGS. You guys are simply amazing. :) -- A
Read the bolded part. Now what..

Ephemeris

From David Hayter's official Facebook page through his contact Amanda

Read the bolded part. Now what..

So maybe everything isn't final yet? And he's getting ahead of himself?

I wonder what prompted the tweet at the beginning of the month.

Batzi

Banned
So maybe everything isn't final yet? And he's getting ahead of himself?

I wonder what prompted the tweet at the beginning of the month.

He must have known that Big Boss was being voiced by someone else and also knew that Solid Snake would be featured in the game and that Hayter would be voicing him. If I was not contacted by Kojima Productions, why would I bother with the tweet? And how would I know anyway?

Keifer Sutherland is nearing 50 years old. He would be way too old to play Snake. He'd be okay for one movie, but if they want to push sequels, as they would, they would need to get someone who is in their early 30s, just as Snake was.

Vamphuntr

He must have known that Big Boss was being voiced by someone else and also knew that Solid Snake would be featured in the game and that Hayter would be voicing him. If I was not contacted by Kojima Productions, why would I bother with the tweet? And how would I know anyway?

Why is Akio Otsuka still voicing Big Boss, then? In the first Japanese Ground Zeroes video, it's still the same Japanese VA.

LaneDS

Said it earlier, but I'm sticking with the "he's in it and it's a surprise so we'll act like he's not" theory. And I don't think Kiefer is voicing BB, based on that trailer (I think he's Miller/Ishmael).

Love all the craziness surrounding this game though.

Batzi

Banned
Well that's interesting...Maybe Kojima is trolling us again?

If Hayter was not contacted by Konami or Kojima Productions then why would he tweet on March 2nd a question about how we would feel about him not playing as Snake? He must have been informed of the ruse and he was playing along but today made a mistake that revealed the truth when he replied to a tweet about Kojima Productions/KONAMI contacting him. Fission Mailed.

Thorakai

You would think that after the whole Phantom Pain/Joakim Morgan/Moby Dick Studios stunt that Kojima pulled to hype up Metal Gear Solid V people would be more suspicious of statements like this.

If David Hayter has not been called up to reprise his role it either means a.) he is lying and we will see a young Solid Snake make an appearance in the game or b.) Solid Snake is not making an appearance and they are simply using old man Big Boss voice like in MGS4, doesn't mean they are dropping Hayter for good.

I have a hard time believing that the voice of the 4 main metal gear solid games (one of which he made a physical appearance in!) will be completely cut out of the metalgearverse from now on.

Shinta

Banned
I'm fine with them trying someone new. Hayter's Snake voice is as ridiculous as it is iconic. It worked for a while, but I'm open to them attempting something else.

Angry Fork

You would think that after the whole Phantom Pain/Joakim Morgan/Moby Dick Studios stunt that Kojima pulled to hype up Metal Gear Solid V people would be more suspicious of statements like this.

If David Hayter has not been called up to reprise his role it either means a.) he is lying and we will see a young Solid Snake make an appearance in the game or b.) Solid Snake is not making an appearance and they are simply using old man Big Boss voice like in MGS4, doesn't mean they are dropping Hayter for good.

I have a hard time believing that the voice of the 4 main metal gear solid games (one of which he made a physical appearance in!) will be completely cut out of the metalgearverse from now on.

I don't know why they would bother with all this though when they could just keep it quiet and let fans see young snake on their own as they play (if it's meant to be a pleasant surprised).

It's also kind of dickish to lie to fans and create a fake story just to raise hype about something. It's one thing to propose subtle winks but Hayter is flat out saying he wasn't contacted, that's a pretty strong statement.

I could see the 2nd option being the case though, that they want to use Doyle or someone else as Big Boss from now on and young snake/hayter is either retired from use or may be used later. This doesn't make sense just from a story standpoint though since young snake was the 'perfect' clone, so not only does he look the same but his voice would be as well.

Top Bottom