• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Perry's Twitter: PSP2 Coming, Has No UMD

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Soon as in this year. I personally say a 4000 and even 5000 will make an appearance before the actual 2.

bmf said:
Mask ROM is cheaper than flash, and 1 gig flash drives can be had for as little as $4. Most PSP games should be under that size. Of course it's possible that those $4 drives are being sold at a loss. I don't think it will be too much of an issue.

Not really.

Max DS cart size right now is 256MB (2Gb) and I think it's pretty clear that cost on that is at or more than $4. It's possible to cut costs a little bit with larger banks, but even a GBA size cart isn't going to help much. I just haven't seen any evidence of 1GB+ MROM being commercially viable yet.

In any case, Mask ROM is typically faster than a lot of the cheap flash junk out there, so it's not exactly the cure-all it may appear to be. There's precedent for going readable though - Nokia had plenty of financial reasons to go with SD on the NGage.

M3d10n

Crazymoogle said:
Not really.

Max DS cart size right now is 256MB (2Gb) and I think it's pretty clear that cost on that is at or more than $4. It's possible to cut costs a little bit with larger banks, but even a GBA size cart isn't going to help much. I just haven't seen any evidence of 1GB+ MROM being commercially viable yet.

In any case, Mask ROM is typically faster than a lot of the cheap flash junk out there, so it's not exactly the cure-all it may appear to be. There's precedent for going readable though - Nokia had plenty of financial reasons to go with SD on the NGage.

Actually the largest MROM cart is 512MBit. 1GBit and 2GBit are only available in PROM (MROM are literally "printed" into chips, and I'm not sure they can actually be made in higher capacities than that without using multiple banks). A 1GBit cart costs way more than $4 for the publisher, so I doubt Sony would be much nicer than Nintendo to charge a similar price for ROMs with 8-16 times the capacity.

Crazymoogle said:
Not really.

My main source on this is a line from the Wikipedia article on mask ROM. Do you have a better source? The maximum DS cart size is interesting data, but inferences from that are still inferences.

Edit: It seems like more information is coming into the thread.

M3d10n said:
Actually the largest MROM cart is 512MBit. 1GBit and 2GBit are only available in PROM (MROM are literally "printed" into chips, and I'm not sure they can actually be made in higher capacities than that without using multiple banks). A 1GBit cart costs way more than $4 for the publisher, so I doubt Sony would be much nicer than Nintendo to charge a similar price for ROMs with 8-16 times the capacity.

Makes sense as transfer rate gets hit once you go above 512MBit right now anyway. I'm not sure if it's PROM or something crazy that old 3DROM deal was involved in, though. I guess it could be double layer MROM that takes a hit on the bank switch or something.

I get the impression Nintendo has loosened the chains since my days working on GBA stuff but I'm guessing UMD is still cheaper than MROM?

Ettie

Brian Crecente said:
While not outright denying rumors of a UMD-free Playstation Portable, the head of Sony's hardware marketing said that the UMD business is "critical to us this year and beyond."

Earlier this week, Acclaim chief creative officer David Perry said that he knows a developer who is working on games for a Playstation Portable that won't have the UMD disc drive.

Although Sony's John Koller wasn't willing to discuss further the details of the rumor, he did say that Perry's comments about the new PSP does ring true in one area: Digital downloads.

"We are making a concerted effort for digital distribution," he said. "We've talked to developers about increasing their digital download content."

Currently publishers can choose to launch a game on UMD or go direct to digital through the Playstation Store.

"There is a delay right now because we want to ensure retail is respected and have their day in the sun," Koller said. "Retail has been concerned about the digital side of game purchases, but that conversation has changed in the past nine to 12 months."

That's because retail stores can sell Playstation Network cards and make a profit on them.

Sony is currently looking through their PSOne library and all publishers' back histories to see what can be placed on the Playstation Network, he said.

That don't sound like no UMD to me, Dave. At least, not for the 4000.

Ettenra said:
That don't sound like no UMD to me, Dave. At least, not for the 4000.

Sony (and MS and Nintendo) are notorious about lying about future products, though. UMD is a fucking disaster, and I'd be willing to bet that the greatest extent to which it will be leveraged for PSP4000/PSP2/PSPi is as a separate add-on UMD reader to allow us to copy the ROMs onto the new unit's hdd/ssd/memory stick.

Mrbob

Why would retailers be excited as selling playstation store cards?

They make zero money off of them. Unless Sony is giving them a small kickback on each card sold.

Still, the digital copy can't be sold back to gamestop so I'm sure they aren't jumping through hoops to get this accomplished.

Going the Valve/Steam route wouldn't be a bad idea though. Sells games at retail and DD, and then have the retail games link to your Playstation Network account.

Feep

Banned
This is unacceptable. I need to purchase a PSP just to play Dissidia, and the PSP2 won't be backward compatible? God DAMN you, Sony.

Feep said:
This is unacceptable. I need to purchase a PSP just to play Dissidia, and the PSP2 won't be backward compatible? God DAMN you, Sony.

eh? I really dont think that will be the case
The PSP is just getting momentum, preventing BC would be ridiculous at this stage, considering the PSP has got stuff like Final Fantasy XIII/ Kindgom Hearts/ LittleBigPlanet etc still to come, they're not going to do that.

StuBurns

Banned
Feep said:
It could be BC, I'd be shocked if it's not, just no UMD drive.

From now on, buy all your PSP games via the PSN store. Problem solved.

They could allow some sort of official image copying. If you have the UMD you can copy it to a PS3 then the PSP2 or something, but I doubt it.

the only realistic thing i can imagine is offering all upcoming PSP games via a downloadable service, but still stelling them in UMD format until a 'proper' PSP2 launches, and then phase out UMD all together
they're not just going to cut UMD support completely, that would be silly.

The ultimate goal, he says, is for the Playstation Portabel to go 100 percent digital. Not only would that allow Sony to have a more direct connection with their customers and get a larger piece of the sales pie, it would essentially kill the used game sales market.

I am up for that Gamestop suck,i call today to see how much they gave for UT3 for PS3,the dude tell me only $3.50 3 damn dollars and 50 cents..hahaha

The fun part is that i was yesterday at GS and they have UT3 used mark as a $30 dollar game,so they give you $3.50 and they make $26 dollars and 50 cents which is allot more money than what they gave you for it.And then the dude tell me to fix it and to not make it look as bad as it sound,that if i give the 6 or more games they give me and extra 40%..haha...

So 40% of $3.50 how much is it...:lol

The true digital era can't come any faster,i once was against it but with company's like Gamestop riping and abusing of the costumer so bad i am up for it.

Elios83

With all the efforts they have made to bring publishers support back to PSP and still many important games to be announced, it makes absolutely no sense to switch the attention to a new platform.
So that pretty much confirms that a PSP 2 won't be announced this year but during 2010 in the best case.
By the way it's probable that a substantial revision for the original PSP is coming this year ( sliding screen, compact design).
Things like no UMD and a fully digital distribution system make really sense for a PSP2 but not for a PSP redesign, so I think we're probably hearing rumors from different sources about two different products and the things are being mixed up a bit.

snap0212

MadOdorMachine said:
I'm curious, are PSP games playable on PS3? I've seen them for download, but never tried it.
Nope, they aren't. You can download them and store them on your HD. If you want to play them, you have to put em on your memory stick.

Aru

MadOdorMachine said:
I'm curious, are PSP games playable on PS3? I've seen them for download, but never tried it.

It's written in every PSP game description that the game will only work on PSP.

all you people expecting to be able to play your UMD games on a hypothetical PSP2 are mad i'm afraid.

currently right, there are games that are sold in stores and that you can download to the memory card yes? is there any Sony approved way at all of downloading a game you bought in a store to your memory card? nope. we know it's possible to do thanks to homebrew, but Sony won't do it because there is no activation or validation method to stop someone just giving the UMD to all their friends so they can download it.

Ettie

plagiarize said:
all you people expecting to be able to play your UMD games on a hypothetical PSP2 are mad i'm afraid.

currently right, there are games that are sold in stores and that you can download to the memory card yes? is there any Sony approved way at all of downloading a game you bought in a store to your memory card? nope. we know it's possible to do thanks to homebrew, but Sony won't do it because there is no activation or validation method to stop someone just giving the UMD to all their friends so they can download it.

Perhaps some Steam-like update is in the works, that would allow transfer of info to the PSP, while the game remains DL'd/UMD xfer'd onto the users computer. Maybe some kind of check in/check out service, that would only allow the game to be installed on one PSP, but would allow as many PSP installs as the user desired. That's just asking to be hacked I know, but hopefully something like that can be done gracefully, and in a way that will let Sony keep the money their so going to make on this thing.

As for UMD's and B/C? I think it's more likely that Sony will send little packets of KY for you to lube up with before they deliver the bad news to your rectum. I don't want it to happen, but I think re-buying will be the only way to go. :(

Omikaru

plagiarize said:

Pretty much the case sadly. If UMD games and films have some sort of unique digital identification on them which can then be uploaded, stored and checked on an online database for authentication then we may be in luck, but I seriously doubt there's anything like that in all honesty.

The only solution for UMD back compat I can think of would be some sort of clip-on UMD drive that plugs into the PSP2 and allows you to play games that way.

Mrbob said:

They make zero money off of them. Unless Sony is giving them a small kickback on each card sold.

Still, the digital copy can't be sold back to gamestop so I'm sure they aren't jumping through hoops to get this accomplished.

Going the Valve/Steam route wouldn't be a bad idea though. Sells games at retail and DD, and then have the retail games link to your Playstation Network account.

This is a good reason not to go completely digital. If you buy a game and it sucks, what do you do? With the limited amount of support the PSP store has been getting, why would this seem like a good idea to anyone?

Tormentoso said:
I am up for that Gamestop suck,i call today to see how much they gave for UT3 for PS3,the dude tell me only $3.50 3 damn dollars and 50 cents..hahaha

The fun part is that i was yesterday at GS and they have UT3 used mark as a $30 dollar game,so they give you $3.50 and they make $26 dollars and 50 cents which is allot more money than what they gave you for it.And then the dude tell me to fix it and to not make it look as bad as it sound,that if i give the 6 or more games they give me and extra 40%..haha...

The true digital era can't come any faster,i once was against it but with company's like Gamestop riping and abusing of the costumer so bad i am up for it.
You know this type of thing is done by, um, anyone who sells anything, right? I sure hope you don't buy food at the grocery store, the cost is much cheaper than they're selling it for! And you'd better be naked, too, because clothes cost very little compared to the sale price!

Man some of you guys live sheltered lives.

Tormentoso said:

(neutral) Tormentoso
His arguments are weak and his points are invalid

Your tag suits you well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
hahahaa @ tormentoso

GameStop trade-in value for UT3: $3.50
Steam trade-in value for UT3: $0.00

what an improvement!

Is Dave Perry set on some suicidal course out of the games industry? What does he possibly gain from being a dickhead repeatedly about an unannounced platform (he keeps saying PSP2 instead of a new PSP iteration) when its obvious Sony are supporting the shit out of the PSP1 until at least 2010?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Mrbob said:

You think stores carry those for free? Seriously?

The margin on cards is actually pretty great. Here in the UK, Retailers make about £5+ profit on Nintendo and Microsoft cards. Just because the PSN cards carry a $ value rather than points doesn't mean that's their face value.

Burai

shitonmychest57
SecretBonusPoint said:
Is Dave Perry set on some suicidal course out of the games industry? What does he possibly gain from being a dickhead repeatedly about an unannounced platform (he keeps saying PSP2 instead of a new PSP iteration) when its obvious Sony are supporting the shit out of the PSP1 until at least 2010?

Because the PSP has proved to be a complete non-starter in terms of software sales? Why would he worry about getting blackballed from a platform he can't make any money from?

thaOwner

bryehn said:
Really not even sure what this is supposed to mean.
He basically asking John Koller to boldy confirm to the public that the next iteration (if you will) of the PSP will have
UMD.

I have the feeling all these mock ups are going about it the wrong way. The latest rumor said that with the screen closed, you'd still have access to the shoulder buttons so you could play games like Loco Roco. To me this insinuates that the buttons are thus under the screen, and unacessable if the device is "closed." He also said it would be much smaller once closed. I think it's going to look a little something like this:

PSP2concept.png

Eh? Eh?

Sorry for the shit quality of the idea, my tablet is broken so I had to make due with a mouse. :(

I dunno, I guess it'd be the same size as the current PSP's screen, or maybe a bit bigger? I didn't take any dimensions into account when I made it that mock up.

It'd be like the T-Moblie G1 phone, how that screen slides up on a little tack and all the keys are under it. But with a PSP-sized screen.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
WordAssassin said:
I have the feeling all these mock ups are going about it the wrong way. The latest rumor said that with the screen closed, you'd still have access to the shoulder buttons so you could play games like Loco Roco. To me this insinuates that the buttons are thus under the screen, and unacessable if the device is "closed." He also said it would be much smaller once closed. I think it's going to look a little something like this:

Eh? Eh?

Sorry for the shit quality of the idea, my tablet is broken so I had to make due with a mouse. :(

Isn't this pretty much the only way to design a sliding screen for the PSP? What other theories are there?

DrXym

A PSP2 doesn't need a UMD to still support UMD. It could be an accessory, something that you use to sync a game to memory in the device, or even to a PC. It could even be built into a docking station which charges the device as well. Syncing could let you play a game for 5 days without resyncing or some other reasonable compromise to prevent people syncing rental titles or similar.

Ravidrath

SecretBonusPoint said:

Let's hope so - his pet koala is probably lonely, with all the time he spends in his tanning bed for industry events.

Mutagenic said:
Isn't this pretty much the only way to design a sliding screen for the PSP? What other theories are there?
Look through the thread. I wouldn't have made it if someone else had done it already. There are three mock-ups posted and none of them look like mine.

Here's a more accurate, though quick and dirty cause I have to go to work, description of what I mean:

PSP2concept2.jpg

And yes, I'd imagine it'd be a bit cramped. That's why I suspect a larger screen, but who knows. Maybe there'll be some shit on the sides for like, movie controls when it's closed. I don't know. The latest rumor said it'd be smaller, though, so there you go.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
WordAssassin said:
Look through the thread. I wouldn't have made it if someone else had done it already. There are three mock-ups posted and none of them look like mine.

Here's a more accurate, though quick and dirty cause I have to go to work, description of what I mean:

PSP2concept2.jpg

And yes, I'd imagine it'd be a bit cramped. That's why I suspect a larger screen, but who knows. Maybe there'll be some shit on the sides for like, movie controls when it's closed. I don't know. The latest rumor said it'd be smaller, though, so there you go.

Why on earth would you keep the width at or near the same as the original system? You have so much empty space at the bottom between the controls that it almost makes no sense to even have a sliding screen.

Mutagenic said:
Why on earth would you keep the width at or near the same as the original system? You have so much empty space at the bottom between the controls that it almost makes no sense to even have a sliding screen.
Jesus I said I'm in a hurry. The controls would go UNDER the screen. When the system is closed, it'd be JUST the screen. This is exactly how the latest rumors describe it. Smaller then the PSP, especially when closed, and when it's closed ONLY the shoulder buttons are acessable.

Top Bottom