• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Wise Confirmed as Composer of Snake Pass

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oooo thats some awesome news!

Intresting fact yall, did you know that David Wise make the music to one of my favorite retro games Cobra Triangle!

Also it was made by Rare!

Oh no kidding did not know he did the music for that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CKd6Hxn-Bk

*Related
DvmK9zD.jpg

Much truth in that image when I borrowed my friends copy lol

For me his work on Wizards and Warriors was my favorite. Man this brings back memories!
Wizards_and_Warriors_NES_cover.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9eZvd_74qQ

Kebiinu

Banned
This game went from unheard of to insta-purchase for me.

Gonna be grabbing on Switch.

Seriously. Never looked into this game until today, glad I did. For some reason I thought Snakepass was like those snake games on the old phones! Haha. Will definitely pick this up for the Switch.

Any more q's before we go live in an hour and 30?

What he thinks about sound limitations that were present back in the days. Did he had fun working around them and was he still able to creat all of his visions with the limitations?

Also how is he creating music? When thinks about a specific track for a game does he have all the notes with the instruments in his mind? Or does it take many trial and errors to creat the track so it sounds like in his head?

I'd love to hear how his writing process has changed as the platforms he's worked on have advanced (from NES to current consoles).

And if he ever plays sax outside of beautiful women's windows to woo them.

When i see this i can't not think that it's about someone fucking David Wise. It should be David Fucking Wise.
See the above Saxophone point, it can totally go both ways.
He could woo me like that any time, granted I'm a dude so he probably shouldn't

Any more q's before we go live in an hour and 30?

With Snake Pass sharing a rather similar vibrant cartoony style (complete with jungles no less) to other recent soundtracks he's worked on like Tropical Freeze and Yooka-Laylee is there any things he looked for in the games themselves to differentiate the music styles between them? Odd question but I imagine it could be easy to end up having them all take on a similar tone.

If there's any particular game franchises or game genres he'd like to work on

What OST of his he feels is potentially underrated (putting my personal vote in for Tengami)

What forbidden arcane ritual did he perform (possibly at Stonehenge or something) to pull such quality sound out of the SNES for DKC2? okay maybe not ask that one.

Soph

Where's the OT for this game? Why isn't there more hype for this? I thought this was a topdown Snake game like on your Nokia mobile phones which I couldn't have been less interested in.

This actually looks good, Switch will have too many games to play. Here I was hoping I wouldn't have a backlog on that thing.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Where's the OT for this game? Why isn't there more hype for this? I thought this was a topdown Snake game like on your Nokia mobile phones which I couldn't have been less interested in.

This actually looks good, Switch will have too many games to play. Here I was hoping I wouldn't have a backlog on that thing.

Snake Pass will be launching across all platforms on March 28th in the US and March 29th in Europe.

Game isnt out yet so no OT.

Thanks for the great questions guys! Keep on sending them before we go live in about 45 minutes. David's gotten a kick out of some of them already. :)

Also, our twitch is at https://twitch.tv/snakepass

I've got one that's a bit technical dating back to his NES days, maybe he won't remember, but I've always wondered so it's worth a shot I guess:

I've noticed that almost none of his NES soundtracks used any samples (DPCM) in them, contrary to companies like Konami and SunSoft which used them in excess. If I'm not mistaken, Battletoads was his first game to ever use samples (a snare and bass drum) in its title song and its legendary pause jingle. What was the reason for this? Was it a lack of cartridge space in previous games? (And if so, why was Battletoads different? Bigger budget?) Or was it because it's only at that time that he started to experiment with samples?

I've got one that's a bit technical dating back to his NES days, maybe he won't remember, but I've always wondered so it's worth a shot I guess:

I've noticed that almost none of his NES soundtracks used any samples (DPCM) in them, contrary to companies like Konami and SunSoft which used them in excess. If I'm not mistaken, Battletoads was his first game to ever use samples (a snare and bass drum) in its title song and its legendary pause jingle. What was the reason for this? Was it a lack of cartridge space in previous games? (And if so, why was Battletoads different? Bigger budget?) Or was it because it's only at that time that he started to experiment with samples?

I'll give it a go and see what he remembers!

question for Wise:

As a longtime rare fan,(one crazy enough to run a fansite for them!) it feels me with great joy to see you composing Snake Pass. You are my favorite game composer by far!

How did the experiences compare of composing for Tropical Freeze, Yooka-Laylee and Snake pass?

Also on the Tropical freeze note, what was it like returning to DKC after 20 years and how hard was it to resist the temptation to just remix a lot of your previous work?

Thanks for your time!

Thanks for the great questions guys! Keep on sending them before we go live in about 45 minutes. David's gotten a kick out of some of them already. :)

Also, our twitch is at https://twitch.tv/snakepass

As a complete fanboy of anything he composes for, I'd be interested in what he thinks of his small, but vocal fanbase who will literally go from no interest at all to buying a game purely for the fact that he is composing the OST.

Edit: Also, I'd buy a ton of his OSTs if I could buy them on CD. I'm sure it's not down to him because of licensing and stuff. Could you ask him if he'll me some personally? I won't tell anyone :p

I'm on my way out and Twitch chomps through my data so quick. Hopefully this will be available to check out when I get home.

Awesome stream devs. One thing that caught me was that david wise is working on a genre that he always wanted to work on, so.... what could be it huh?

Top Bottom