• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Wise Confirmed as Composer of Snake Pass

I heard this rumor yesterday, but it was just confirmed that Sumo Digital's new IP Snake Pass (which was just touted as being running on Switch in a week) is being scored by David Wise of Donkey Kong Country fame.

I'm almost ashamed about how much this one aspect has promoted Snake Pass from indie (pseudo-indie?) curiosity to a must-have.

Full press release:

February 10th, 2017 - Sheffield, United Kingdom - Independent developer Sumo Digital, the studio behind AAA blockbusters Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed, LittleBigPlanet 3 and the in-development Crackdown 3, today announced that veteran audio legend David Wise is composing the soundtrack for its' upcoming slithery physics platformer, Snake Pass. Scheduled to launch later this Spring on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC, Snake Pass is a retro-inspired collectathon platformer, where players slither, curl and climb their way through increasingly challenging worlds filled with intricate obstacles and fiendishly mind-bending challenges.

”Snake Pass is inspired by the classic Rare collectathon platformers of the N64 era, so getting David on board for the soundtrack was imperative to complete our vision", said Seb Liese, Creator of Snake Pass. ”His sunny, tropical compositions blend perfectly with the slithery gameplay. He's truly a composer of rare talent indeed..."

To whet your appetite, wrap your ears around some snippets of David's tracks now:
http://bit.ly/2kuX1Bk
http://bit.ly/2lnkWUU

”Once I played the game and saw the captivating world Sumo created, it set my mind on fire. I immediately began composing melodies, then worked with the team to develop these and nail down the feel of the soundtrack," said David Wise. ”We've ended up with something that not only pays tribute to the game's classic inspirations, but also brings something new to the table, just as the game's mechanics do!"

When a mysterious intruder threatens the tranquility of their home, it's up to Noodle the Snake and Doodle the Hummingbird to embark on a daring journey to save the day. Controlling this dynamic duo, players must become one with the snake as they slither, curl and climb their way through 15 levels across 4 increasingly challenging themed worlds. Snake Pass is a unique take on the platforming genre that is intuitive and fun to learn, but will gradually test your snake charming skills to the limit!

Visit the official Snake Pass website: www.snake-pass.com
Follow Snake Pass & Sumo Digital on Twitter: @Snake_Pass & @SumoDigitalLtd
Like Snake Pass on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SnakePassGame/
Tune in and watch the weekly Snake Pass Twitch Shows – Thursdays at 5pm GMT: https://www.twitch.tv/snakepass

About Sumo Digital
Based in Sheffield and Nottingham in the United Kingdom and Pune in India, Sumo Digital employs 360 staff developing successful games across all platforms and genres. Recognised for its versatility, proprietary technology, creativity and high Metacritic, Sumo Digital's portfolio of games includes LittleBigPlanet 3, Sonic & All Stars Racing: Transformed, Forza Horizon 2 – Fast & Furious and Disney Infinity. The studio is also developing Dead Island 2 (Deep Silver) and Crackdown 3, in collaboration with Reagent and Microsoft.

The sensitive, creative and intelligent use of licensed IP has become one of Sumo's core competencies. At the 2013 Tiga Game Awards Sumo won Best Arcade Game (Large Studio) and Outstanding Leadership Awards. In 2015 Sumo won a prestigious DICE award for ‘Best Family Game' and 3 gongs at the Tiga Awards for ‘Best Social Game' (LittleBigPlanet 3), UK Heritage Award and Outstanding Individual Award for CEO Carl Cavers. In 2016 TIGA also awarded ‘Independent Studio (Large)' to Sumo. For more information visit: Sumo

© 2017 Sumo Digital Ltd. All rights reserved. 'Snake Pass' and the 'Snake Pass' logo are trade marks or registered trade marks of Sumo Digital Ltd.

Source is a PR email sent to gonintendo.com

Edit: In appreciation of this magnificent artist, let's post our favorite David Wise tracks (along with relevant conversation, of course)!

Disco Train from DKC2

Matticers

rbICyKR.png

Fuck yeah. This man should be hired to do soundtracks constantly.

rbICyKR.png

Fuck yeah. This man should be hired to do soundtracks constantly.

Knew this would get posted by someone. Glad it is.

Tropical Freeze's soundtrack is still one of my favorite video game soundtracks of this gen. Might even be one of my favorites of all time eventually depending on how I feel about it over the years. So good... Plus, his stuff on the original DKC games will always stay with me far as video game music goes.

For weird reasons I find Snake Pass much more Rare-ish than Yooka-Laylee, maybe is because the snake looks so "90's Donkey Kong ACM prerender".

ryechu

Knew this would get posted by someone. Glad it is.

Tropical Freeze's soundtrack is still one of my favorite video game soundtracks of this gen. Might even be one of my favorites of all time eventually depending on how I feel about over the years. So good... Plus, his stuff on the original DKC games will always stay with me far as video game music goes.

I find myself discovering new favorites in tropical freeze's soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o9Zi34QJyQ

I never reached the section 2 minutes into this song, with the either the constant dying or speed running the level too quickly.

The way Wise mixes in a warm guitar melody with the otherwise frigid feel of the synths and mechanical percussion. He's definitely my favorite game composer.

Dilli666

Let's not forget the little guy

Oh and before I forget: the team just want to give a big shout out to the guys over on NeoGaf who were speculating about our composer during the recent Nintendo Switch announcement! Although a very accurate guess, that naturally raised a few eyebrows, (Oh yes…I received many concerned text messages) we totally believe credit should be given where it’s due. The music used in our previous trailers and livestreams was actually composed solely by Dom Parker, one of our sound designers here at Sumo.

Needless to say, he was more than flattered you guys thought his track was written by none other than Mr Wise, but hey, now the world knows the truth. We still love you guys though <3

James
- Snake Pass Team

the everflowing circle

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
And just yesterday I found out about this game and remarked how it looked like a successor to Snake Rattle 'n Roll, a favorite of mine. And now it even has the same composer as Snake Rattle 'n Roll!

Anything he composes just resonates with me. Even like covers of his stuff makes me get nostalgic. I was listening to some remixed tracks of DKC2 and nearly shedding tears cause it hit my nostalgia feels so hard

Wow, it's awesome how a decision like this can really put a game in a larger spotlight.

Sumo Digital really made a Wise decision.

It reminds me a little of how Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth + is getting a physical release at Switch launch. It's really gonna help it stand out on shelves and bring a certain spotlight to it.

Anything he composes just resonates with me. Even like covers of his stuff makes me get nostalgic. I was listening to some remixed tracks of DKC2 and nearly shedding tears cause it hit my nostalgia feels so hard

Dudes music always sounds so joyful and oozes with charm. Which is pretty much all I want from video games and their soundtracks right now.
I'm so tired of dark, edgy and 'epic' stuff.

Vinc

Same here. He exponentially improves every game he works on.

First I've heard of this. Looks really charming, love the snake design. He's venomous too!

David Wise will elevate this for sure.

Elixist

man firin on all cylinders with this product. cant wait those samples sound great. (very dkc jungly, fitting for the setting ofc) hopefully we can hear some of his moodier side as well. someone break the mans heart for me, or pass him some downers XD

Top Bottom