• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DK Vine - RUMOR: David Wise composing on a new Nintendo game?

https://youtu.be/19ahHRzgDOY

At the hour and 50 minute mark.

This is something the folks heard at E3 and just spoke about it in their new Kongversation podcast.

So another hint towards Diddy Kong Racing 2?

Also apparently Greenwood Village from DKR is intact in Jet Force Gemini in Rare Replay. So MS own that for certain or a trade of sorts for allowing Jet Pac in DK64?

jimi_dini

Did someone ask him about Tropical Freeze soundtrack getting released on CD?

I finally grabbed a copy of the Donkey Kong Country Returns soundtrack, but I want Tropical Freeze too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't subscribe to the whole "X would make buy a Y!" train of thought, but Wise working on an "actual" sequel to DKC2 would literally be a dream come true.

Edit: To be clear, I cover "actual" in scare quotes because I'd love nothing more than to see the whole pirate Kremling theme revisited. Hell, even the pirate theme itself, sans Krems.

Wait, is this podcast entirely about Donkey Kong on its 326th episode? That's incredible. How have they not exhausted every possible avenue of discussion?

ReyVGM

Groan, DKR2...

I think Retro and DWise's talents are being wasted with that game. They should be working on a new Prime instead.

Neo Saf

Neo Member
I believe it was determined that Jetpac isn't owned by anybody, abandonware or something like that.

As far as this rumor goes, obviously it's nothing more than an unsourced rumor and should be taken with a heap of salt. But having followed these guys for years, they're at least not the type to bullshit wildly. I trust that they indeed heard this, but who knows if the person who told them was shooting straight? It's plausible and I certainly hope it's true, though.

If only you'd made this thread a couple days ago, Kevin Callahan could have incorporated this rumor into his latest blog post. Or hell, maybe Kevin Callahan IS the guy they heard this from! Hahahah!

I don't subscribe to the whole "X would make buy a Y!" train of thought, but Wise working on an "actual" sequel to DKC2 would literally be a dream come true.

Well, he DID compose the entirety of the DKC3 GBA soundtrack after saying that Eveline's original score wasn't really compatible with it, at least not with the time they were given. :p

He did compose a couple song in the SNES original, like the guest appearance of the Castle theme from Mario 64... trippy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEBqm9bGi3g

-Horizon-

Gotta finish up that DKR Trilogy.

Then retro can start working on the Ice Climbers Trilogy.

Edit: oh wait, that's diddy Kong racing, oh wow, that rumor again

I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't own any of the Diddy Kong Racing music, which is why it's never been remixed or acknowledged outside of the DS remake.

Apparently this is for a new "project", and not necessarily a game. Some people have speculated that he's doing some new arrangements for Smash to coincide with King K. Rool DLC.

Personally, I've always assumed that Retro was working on a third DKCR game. I don't buy the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumor at all.

The Giant

Banned
Groan, DKR2...

I think Retro and DWise's talents are being wasted with that game. They should be working on a new Prime instead.

Nothing wrong with Retro making DKR 2. I would rather see retro work on a new ip. Someone else can make Metroid.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Donkey Kong Country : Polar Ice Cap Heatwave

This time it's hot where it is supposed to be cold!

WRONG!

In the credits of DKRDS, it is stated that Nintendo owns the soundtrack. ;)

Huh. I never knew that. The boxart for the original Diddy Kong Racing proved that Nintendo owned Banjo at one point.

2924_back.jpg

Kodaman

There's no way Retro it's working on a third DKCR given the sales of the second.
Unless it's on 3DS... Hey, that thread would be fun.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hope whomever broached the general notion of "The Kremlings should be pirates" has enjoyed nothing but the best of luck.

Gartooth

That Diddy Kong Racing rumor is complete bullshit at this point. Its been going on for ages, was rumored for E3, and was a no-show. Of course the person who started the rumor continues to move goalposts by saying it is an NX game. :|

If this rumor about Wise turns out true, then fingers crossed for a non-linear 3D Donkey Kong game.

Neo Saf

Neo Member
Wait, is this podcast entirely about Donkey Kong on its 326th episode? That's incredible. How have they not exhausted every possible avenue of discussion?
The hundreds digit represents the season, so it's actually only on its 180th-ish episode - which doesn't really change the thrust of your incredulity, I imagine. They're actually not just about Donkey Kong, they cover this whole Expanded Universe based on Banjo and Conker spinning off from their initial appearance in Diddy Kong Racing. They get really into playing continuity games and intricate fanon, three-quarters jokingly and satirically, but a quarter serious. It's a... unique fansite.

I do think that David Wise working with Nintendo doesn't necessarily signify a new Donkey Kong title, but it would definitely mean a game with an incredible soundtrack. I hope Nintendo hangs onto Wise and percolates him through their other franchises, man does a great score.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Apparently this is for a new "project", and not necessarily a game. Some people have speculated that he's doing some new arrangements for Smash to coincide with King K. Rool DLC.

I think this is a logical guess...somewhat. I think Dixie Kong is more likely, but only because I think she was a DLC character planned before the poll while King K. Rool was not, and I doubt the poll's close enough to being decided that they'd already get someone composing music for a winner.

AdanVC

Can't wait for Wii Music U: The Board Game.

No but seriously, this is exciting. Whatever the game is, David Wise compositions in a Nintendo game is pure bliss.

Was that Conker statue from E3 or something? I'd love to see it in person.

In any case, this has me excited. Tropical Freeze proves he's still got it.

WRONG!

In the credits of DKRDS, it is stated that Nintendo owns the soundtrack. ;)

I also could've sworn I heard an arrangement of the main theme at the end of Sawmill Thrill in Tropical Freeze?

Neo Saf

Neo Member
Well, he DID compose the entirety of the DKC3 GBA soundtrack after saying that Eveline's original score wasn't really compatible with it, at least not with the time they were given. :p
Yeah, when they ported those games to the GBA, they had to brighten them up significantly to work on the OG, pre-SP model that didn't have a backlight. This wrecked the dark ambiance of DKC2, so instead of letting the same thing happen with the third one Wise redid the score to be more upbeat than Fischer's moody originals. It's so weird to play, say, the Redwood levels, and instead of creepy foreboding flute music it's this chipper magical frolicking tune. Totally changes up the experience.

daTRUballin

Yep. DKCR3. Get ready for one great thread, folks. xD

And wait a minute, Greenwood Village is in Jet Force Gemini???? What????

Crayolan

DKCR3 as a launch title for NX.

Seriously though, I hope Nintendo keeps him around, he's great.

Oh boy, more Jungle Level remixes!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess a third DKC game from Retro would be pretty neat. It's not my preference, but Tropical Freeze was fantastic (Returns was solid too) so I wouldn't be disappointed with more of that.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't own any of the Diddy Kong Racing music, which is why it's never been remixed or acknowledged outside of the DS remake.

Personally, I've always assumed that Retro was working on a third DKCR game. I don't buy the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumor at all.
Nintendo (probably) owns the entirety of DKC3's soundtrack but never remixes any of that either. I think if it isn't DKC, DKC2 or the DK Rap musically they don't give a shit, and I honestly don't see why they wouldn't own DKR's OST just because they don't own most of the characters in it.

New arrangements would be great if it's DLC for a DK newcomer in Smash, but I'd obviously prefer it being for Diddy Kong Racing 2. That can't be entirely coming from Kevin Callahan, can it?

There's no way Retro it's working on a third DKCR given the sales of the second.
Unless it's on 3DS... Hey, that thread would be fun.
I want to witness the return of fucking Donkey Kong threads.

Groan, DKR2...

... His work on the Donkey Kong franchise is easily what gave David Wise the status and recognition he has now. Working on another DKC or a sequel to Diddy Kong Racing isn't a step down at all for him.

MarkusRJR

Best situation in my mind:
Diddy Kong Racing 2 developed by Monster Games
Metroid Prime 4 by Retro

While I wouldn't MIND a new DKC or DDR if it were developed by Retro, Nintendo already has a premiere kart racer (Mario Kart) and a premiere 2D platformer (Mario, along with tons of other 2D platformers). I want Retro to make a game that pushes tech again and fills in the numerous genre gaps in Nintendo's software side. Tropical Freeze didn't push the same boundaries as the Metroid Prime series imo. Plus, I want a new Metroid, lol. Monster Games is really good at racing games, and I'd be excited for a game by them that's not a port.

Best situation in my mind:
Diddy Kong Racing 2 developed by Monster Games
Metroid Prime 4 by Retro

Monster Games isn't big enough (10-30 employees) for a project of this magnitude, and they just finished working on Xenoblade 3D. That's why this Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumor is bogus.

Top Bottom