• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day Care Gets Racist Letter Demanding They Fire Black Employee For Being Too Dark

Ryuuroden

This makes me feel bad for the white parent who, for a completely valid reason, was about to take their kids out of the daycare next week.

I don't know, as a white person with kids in daycare, I feel more bad for minorities that have to put up with this shit no matter what sort of secondary effects it may cause to me.

rjinaz

the general tone of the letter, not the content. You know what the poster meant

I mean it sounds like the way a "busybody" Mother might speak. I don't think lighthearted is an apt description for the tone. Some people just come across that way especially if they feel they are superior or in a superior position, in this case, a parent paying the bills. My Sister who is a teacher deals with that kind of attitude from parents and even fellow teachers all of the time. Fake kindness but their words are meant to be demeaning.

This makes me feel bad for the white parent who, for a completely valid reason, was about to take their kids out of the daycare next week.
I'm sure they'll fucking cope.

Empathy is so broken that people always default to empathizing with the people with the same skin colour.

the general tone of the letter, not the content. You know what the poster meant
Many people who believe this vile shit don't think it's a big deal. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. They think racist behavior is acceptable and normal. That tone is part of what makes me believe it might be entirely as face value suggests.

Many people think unless you are animated and angrily spitting hate to the person's face that you aren't a racist. Well that's not how it works at all.

Ryuuroden

I'm sure they'll fucking cope.

Empathy is so broken that people always default to empathizing with the people with the same skin colour.

Yeah, first thing I thought of is how many minority's don't even get to have a goddamn choice about what daycare their child goes to, who am I to feel inconvenienced while another persons actual livelihood is being attacked

Yeah you certainly wouldn't want to be accused of being a racist.

That's worse than being the actual victim of racism.

rjinaz

Feelings are not a finite resource. Where did that poster say that's all they cared about?

They didn't, fair enough. But I will say that if it's the only point you have made in a thread especially of this nature, are we on a forum not to take it at face value that it's what you care the most about? For instance your first comment was "it seems fake". How am I not supposed to think that you are then dismissing what has happened and what the woman must be going through when you didn't comment on any of that?

I guess my point is, people can only go by what it is you type on a forum, not read your mind. And I've long since stopped just assuming the best intentions of people.

Many people think unless you are animated and angrily spitting hate to the person's face that you aren't a racist. Well that's not how it works at all.

Yup. How many parents don’t like the “look” of a daycare staff or other children and decide to go to another one. How many daycares know this and specifically discriminate against black peoples for employment or tell them they are full. The only difference is this person wrote a letter.

Ryuuroden

Feelings are not a finite resource. Where did that poster say that's all they cared about?

Well, even I thought about what the poster said before they posted it but I didn't deem it worthy of posting about how it would affect me as a white parent due to the much larger issue at play here. Inconveniencing my white personhood is hardly what we should be concerned about so its not really worth posting.

Imagine if you're a parent that was planning on taking your kid out of the daycare and then this shit happens. Can't pull them out now; you don't want to get blamed for this shit. People are assholes. Poor girl. Glad they're rallying around her.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Jesus juniper christ you overly hysterical children, k.jack was clearly making a humorous comment. The scenario he describes would fit perfectly in a curb your enthusiasm episode. I can absolutely guarantee he doesn't empathize with some made up white family over the woman facing horrifying racism.

That seems so outrageous it looks fake but in this day and age its hard to tell.

Yeah. Very honestly, it's so extreme I would have hands down assumed fake say 3 or 4 years ago.

But now? This day and age? This climate? This detestable social atmosphere?

...I think I'd be more surprised if it weren't real.

OH. Also:

Even if, hypothetically, it were false, the threats and and vitriol that she received from Trump supporters/racists online after definitely isn't. Those thoughts were 110% relatable to them and worth defending publicly. Online. Where they can never disappear or be disputed.

Defaulting to caring about some hypothetical white people rather than the people affected by racism here in reality is weird.

comedian

I struggle to believe this is real. The poor grammar, the front, and the MAGA signature just seem too obvious. I could be wrong, but I remain sceptical.

Dice//

Banned
What the flying fuck.

Peaceful protesting is so hard when bullshit like this happens and you just wanna slap the good sense back to the writer of this bullshit.

You can't help your skin colour...why do we get so hung up on parts we can't change?

Jesus juniper christ you overly hysterical children, k.jack was clearly making a humorous comment. The scenario he describes would fit perfectly in a curb your enthusiasm episode. I can absolutely guarantee he doesn't empathize with some made up white family over the woman facing horrifying racism.
Are you k.jack's alt or have any relation to him/her? The post didn't have a disclaimer of sarcasm and forgive people if they believe the post is sincere because many people here will care first about hypothetical white people than minorities. Remember all the disruptive protest threads. It happened so often that a fictional character was made from the concern.
O2I3Lxd.png

SaviorX

I believe it's real.

They knew the person on staff and went through the EFFORT of writing this letter.

A million things you can be doing with your time and to personally single out one person in such a manner means it's more than a troll attempt.

Just accept the fact that this hatred is too real to be conceived by normal empathetic minds.

Why would this be fake? Why would an internet troll scout random daycares to find the blackest person working there and concoct this nonsense?

Besides, the font makes it real. Only a racist "concerned mom" would use that monstrosity.

JesseZao

That reads like a troll letter from somebody who's not actually a parent at the daycare but who thinks it'd be funny/hilarious to send it with the over the top "Look I'm super racist and a Trump supporter due to the last line! LOOK HOW RACIST I AM."

It's just childish internet dribble, whoever wrote it needs to grow the fuck up.

That was my reaction as well. Pure scum.

Unbounded

You realize it being a racist troll wouldn't make it less bad right?

Yes it would?

At least if it we're fake instead of it being a group of racist parents and families it would just be one dumb racist. We're I in that situation I would definitely take the latter over the former.

CHC

“PAY YOUR MORTAGE”

Always these near-illiterate fucking inbreds.

These goddamn parents are the ones who belong in school, though who knows who the actual writer is. Jesus fucking Christ this country, though...

Doesn’t matter if it’s fake or real, if it’s racially motivated than clearly it’s racist. I think a big problem I’m seeing in this thread is that some people here seem to think racism is not as bad if you’re trolling which is a terrible mindset.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Are you k.jack's alt or have any relation to him/her? The post didn't have a disclaimer of sarcasm and forgive people if they believe the post is sincere because many people here will care first about hypothetical white people than minorities. Remember all the disruptive protest threads. It happened so often that a fictional character was made from the concern.
O2I3Lxd.png

No. I am familiar with him over the years from me being a former gaf hop poster and therefore interacting with him and reading his posts regularly. I know what kind of person he is and that his default position wouldn't be to empathize with a fictional white couple over the victim in this story. And even if I wasn't familiar with k.jack I'd give him the benefit of doubt because I'm tired of people on this site always assuming the worst out of everyone else on here.

Da-Kid

I can barely even talk after reading that. The only way I want to speak is with my fists. I don't give a fuck. I hope they identify this person, expose them so that they can loose their job, and then, Lexi should sue her for emotional distress for all they've got.

Wiped89

"I'm trying to make your daycare great again?"

That can't be real, surely? This has got to be some sort of twisted trolling?

And she's now getting threats from Trump supporters? What's wrong with this world?

Holy shit this is terrible.

I hope they can find out who wrote it. Can you get fingerprints from a letter/paper?

The wording of it is so on the nose that it almost feels like a prank but there's no way to know. Some shit ass older brother decided to be a edgelord in real life or something when he saw the worker in question.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I like the font. It’s a step below Comic Sans somehow.

Speaks to the level of individual we are talking about.

I know I would. I’d be afraid this psycho parent would come in and do something stupid, putting my child at risk.

I hope they catch this person, boot their kids out of the daycare and get them arrested.

Yup. I wouldn't want my child there since she's black. I'd be worried some bigot would hurt my kid cause they don't like the amount of melanin in her skin.

Bigots are the worst cowards.

Doesn’t matter if it’s fake or real, if it’s racially motivated than clearly it’s racist. I think a big problem I’m seeing in this thread is that some people here seem to think racism is not as bad if you’re trolling which is a terrible mindset.

^^This.

What is "real?" Is it only real if it's a real parent who feels this way? Anything else is a troll? Imagine you're the worker in question and I expect it begins to feel real enough no matter what.

It could well be a "trolling" letter in the sense that similar fonts have been used for intimidating fliers and letters around the country. But even if we imagine this is a "liberal" writing a "fake" letter to make some kind of a point, I expect it still feels real fucking racist to the woman who is the target. It draws on the same racism. The impact is the same.

Thus the liberal use of quotes here. Whatever the intent, the impact is essentially the same, which makes the question of fakery a much less important one in the end. The twitter responses to the post, too, seem much more concerned about fakery and politics than the victim.

Top Bottom