• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day Care Gets Racist Letter Demanding They Fire Black Employee For Being Too Dark

Ultryx

I really want to believe this was just drafted by some fake Russian and all made up.

Unfortunately it's not.

Jenov

Isn't there a way to trace the printer type and manufacturer? That would help narrow down a list of suspects. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing something about how the FBI is able to track these anonymous printed letters because each printer has a specific signature when printing. I hope they can find the person that did this, it's beyond cruel and they deserve a good public outing and visit to the local jail.

This is so horrible :( I truly hope nothing happens to the poor daycare worker and they are able to catch the "person" responsible for the letter. So many terrible people in this world/country...

Fucked up, yet completely unsurprising.

The image tweeted by the employee identified as “Lexi” soon went viral, causing her to receive threats from Trump supporters that led her to hire a lawyer.

And of course this happened as well.

Fuck this country. This is why I don't want to raise a family here.

I had a friend claim dogs hate black people because they're scared of people with black skin and bark incessantly at them. They were trying to prove that racism is inherent.

I'm hoping that he was just trying to troll me (my friends know I'm the only person who cares about stuff like that), but I still was like wtf.

uhhhh... my girl, from this it sounds like you need better friends.

Fucked up, yet completely unsurprising.

And of course this happened as well.

Fuck this country. This is why I don't want to raise a family here.

The tweets in response to the various posts were the most amazing examples of why I don't think it matters if this is a "troll" or not. Sentiment is quite clear.

Enzom21

I had a friend claim dogs hate black people because they're scared of people with black skin and bark incessantly at them. They were trying to prove that racism is inherent.

I'm hoping that he was just trying to troll me (my friends know I'm the only person who cares about stuff like that), but I still was like wtf.

white_dog_battle-of-wills.jpg

Probably not, because I've heard that stupid shit before. They say "it's because dogs see in black and white, so they can't "see" black people so that's why dogs are scared of them."

The tweets in response to the various posts were the most amazing examples of why I don't think it matters if this is a "troll" or not. Sentiment is quite clear.

Exactly. People have shown us what they truly believe, troll or not.

Guys, it being a joke or just "trolling"…doesn't make it better.

Real or not it's fucked up. Nothing about this changes if it turns out not to be "real"

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Dogs don't have a concept of race, but they can read subtle mood cues from their owners.

frontovik

Banned
That is a tragedy, the parent should be ashamed of such a behaviour. How would they feel if their child was being discriminated against because of their skin colour?

pigeon

Banned

Why are you friends with that person

The image tweeted by the employee identified as ”Lexi" soon went viral, causing her to receive threats from Trump supporters that led her to hire a lawyer.

Just your daily reminder that all Trump supporters are vile, racist trash.

Every single one.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
At first I was going to quote and respond to every person who quoted me, but I'll just keep it simple.

If you just assumed I'm some white person who doesn't care about black people, look in the mirror, take a fucking step back, and do better in the future. Yes, I know every poster on NeoGAF is assumed to be a white nerd (fact, not insult), until proven otherwise, but maybe you shouldn't. A lot of black people on GAF feel they have to "show" their blackness, either through a suggestive avatar or by using slang, hell I've done it too. Should we have to though?

I am black. I've been a victim of direct racism more than I can recount. I've dealt with it on the job.

That does not mean I can't have a scenario pop up in my head, where the first innocent white person to pull a kid from the daycare is assumed to be the racist asshole. That shit is gonna happen, and YES I fucking feel bad for that person. I sure as shit don't feel bad about it, and I'm not going to, ever. I'm not victimizing that white person, ignoring the actual victim, the black person who got shitted on with the letter. I can acknowledge them being in a tough spot though.

That's how empathy truly works. I can't control the shit. I felt bad, and shared it. I didn't expect so many jumps to conclusions. I didn't think I needed to protect myself.

Some of you read my post and assumed so much. 1. White 2. Only concerned about White 3. No empathy for Black 4. Asshole 5. Maybe racist 6. Snowflake

Maybe we all need to reflect on how we read and respond to random posters. I'm not going to attach my resume to every post.

Get new, hopefully less terrible, friends.

So rather than setting a good example and helping their children right from the earliest stages of their development by letting them know everyone is the same even if we all look different, they just say "sack her".

Unbelievable.

At first I was going to quote and respond to every person who quoted me, but I'll just keep it simple.

If you just assumed I'm some white person who doesn't care about black people, look in the mirror, take a fucking step back, and do better in the future. Yes, I know every poster on NeoGAF is assumed to be a white nerd (fact, not insult), until proven otherwise, but maybe you shouldn't. A lot of black people on GAF feel they have to "show" their blackness, either through a suggestive avatar or by using slang, hell I've done it too. Should we have to though?

I am black. I've been a victim of direct racism more than I can recount. I've dealt with it on the job.

That does not mean I can't have a scenario pop up in my head, where the first innocent white person to pull a kid from the daycare is assumed to be the racist asshole. That shit is gonna happen, and YES I fucking feel bad for that person. I sure as shit don't feel bad about it, and I'm not going to, ever. I'm not victimizing that white person, ignoring the actual victim, the black person who got shitted on with the letter. I can acknowledge them being in a tough spot though.

That's how empathy truly works. I can't control the shit. I felt bad, and shared it. I didn't expect so many jumps to conclusions. I didn't think I needed to protect myself.

Some of you read my post and assumed so much. 1. White 2. Only concerned about White 3. No empathy for Black 4. Asshole 5. Maybe racist 6. Snowflake

Maybe we all need to reflect on how we read and respond to random posters. I'm not going to attach my resume to every post.
None of this is evident from your original and only other post in this thread
This makes me feel bad for the white parent who, for a completely valid reason, was about to take their kids out of the daycare next week.
So maybe next time think ahead of how your posts can be interpreted to give a fuller picture of what you're trying to convey.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I don't need to make that shit evident. If you are unaware of my position, the point is that it's better to ask, before you jump a mile in the wrong direction.

I said I feel bad for a white person. That doesn't justify immediately making stupid assumptions. Your keyboard works. Ask me what I meant. Ask me my race. Ask me why I didn't mention the black person.

To immediately say "You white asshole", is folly.

Stop trying to interpret text.

Acerac

Banned
I really want to believe this was just drafted by some fake Russian and all made up.

Unfortunately it's not.

It's very important that we all realize this is what many Americans truly believe. Ignoring this kind of attitude is what led many to be shocked by Trump.

Ryuuroden

Well my response wasn't really intended to convey that I thought you were any one race, My comments were only that me being a white person I did have the thought you said come to my head when I saw this story, I just felt that it would not be appropriate to post in the context of who was actually really harmed by this. I actually didn't think this was the only thought you had either although in my post I made no point to say that. My main gripe was that what was said was without anything else said so it felt like an inappropriate comment to make in the larger context. If you had made that context in a longer post about how this letter affects the black woman, the day care and then also how it even affects people who had nothing to do with the letter such as a white parent taking their child out for an unrelated reason, I think the context would of been better although maybe still controversial. This is the reason I just stuck to the main victim of this letter, the black childcare worker because that is the most important victim we need to focus on and empathize with. If in the future some innocent white person was doxed because people thought they were linked to something like this and they were not at all related to it then I think that would justify a conversation about said imaginary white family and jumping to conclusions. Until then, its not really the man context of the thread.

EDIT: I just want to let you know that if you felt attacked by me, I wasn't trying to pile on you or anything, I just felt the the comment by itself was divisive and unexplained and therefor would and did get blown up in the thread in the context it was posted in.

I don't need to make that shit evident. If you are unaware of my position, the point is that it's better to ask, before you jump a mile in the wrong direction.

I said I feel bad for a white person. That doesn't justify immediately making stupid assumptions. Your keyboard works. Ask me what I meant. Ask me my race. Ask me why I didn't mention the black person.

you trolling right?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I find it hard to believe this is real.

No one would use that font.

NO ONE

However, racists gonna racist.

NoRéN

Omg lolololololololololol

What the fuck is that?

You said something and people interpreted it. Sometimes you need to think beyond just what you want to immediately say.

Mahonay

Banned

Rdh0l45.jpg

It's not of these. I'm clearly aware people send hate letters and that there's many more than this one. No my point is that this one in particular looks incredibly dumb. The "Make the day care great again" and the font. The next level would be shiny sparkles on the paper and stickers all over the letter. Hence why I'm claiming it reads like a parody.

It doesn't change the fact that it's very likely serious and that, even in the really low possibility, this is a troll, it's in any case a genuinely racist and disgusting letter.

Just want to second this. In case my post wasn't clear, I wasn't trying to handwave this as a joke not to be taken seriously or anything. I mean, the daycare employee is now being threatened for heaven's sake. I was just thinking the tone and composition could be someone's idea of a prank who may or may not even have a child there. This is definitely not something that should be passed off as an everyday joke. I'm sorry if it made anyone mad.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
The number of people in here treating this as a joke, or a troll, is incredibly depressing. Real people send real hate filled letters like this. Maybe you're too sheltered to know that, but it happens and it happens pretty often.

Frankly, it's hard to tell whether this is naivete, or an attempt to pretend that what's happening in the country isn't happening because it makes you uncomfortable. Either way, depressing.

The thing is, a lot of people who think this is a troll know that. This isn't a case of denying that there's racism, or that people quite easily could write letters like this. It's just that something doesn't seem to ring quite true here.

And don't think for a second that it being a troll means it's 'just' a troll. Firstly, a troll acting in a racist way is functionally equivalent to a racist non-troll. It's just as hurtful and vile, and to troll in this way - directly attacking someone for their skin colour - you've got to be pretty racist in the first place, surely? If you're trolling in this way, then you're trying to instigate racial hatred. You're a vile piece of shit just as much as if it's taken at face value.

It's just a question of whether you're looking for the perpetrator among parents or elsewhere. Personally I'd expect that if you looked under the right stone on the right alt-right message board you'd find the person responsible for this.

Demoskinos

If you're going to write a letter like that at least have the balls to actually attach your name to it. The fucking cowards.

besada

Banned
The thing is, a lot of people who think this is a troll know that. This isn't a case of denying that there's racism, or that people quite easily could write letters like this. It's just that something doesn't seem to ring quite true here.

And don't think for a second that it being a troll means it's 'just' a troll. Firstly, a troll acting in a racist way is functionally equivalent to a racist non-troll. It's just as hurtful and vile, and to troll in this way - directly attacking someone for their skin colour - you've got to be pretty racist in the first place, surely? If you're trolling in this way, then you're trying to instigate racial hatred. You're a vile piece of shit just as much as if it's taken at face value.

It's just a question of whether you're looking for the perpetrator among parents or elsewhere. Personally I'd expect that if you looked under the right stone on the right alt-right message board you'd find the person responsible for this.

I think a lot of people needlessly multiply entities and engage in unnecessary skepticism because they don't want it to be real, for one reason or another. I don't think a reasonable reaction to a racist letter is to immediately try to figure out ways in which it is something other than it purports to be. But many people are more conspiracy minded than myself. I don't see anything in that letter to suggest it's anything other than what it claims to be.

People can obviously differ on this point, but I can't help but note that the usual result of this sort of skepticism is to derail the conversation onto the authenticity of the note, rather than the actual racism. For some people that's an unfortunate consequence of their skepticism, for others it is clearly the intent.

watershed

Banned
Parents like this keep racism alive from generation to generation. This is why racism at the social level doesn't simply die out.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I think a lot of people needlessly multiply entities and engage in unnecessary skepticism because they don't want it to be real, for one reason or another. I don't think a reasonable reaction to a racist letter is to immediately try to figure out ways in which it is something other than it purports to be. But many people are more conspiracy minded than myself. I don't see anything in that letter to suggest it's anything other than what it claims to be.

People can obviously differ on this point, but I can't help but note that the usual result of this sort of skepticism is to derail the conversation onto the authenticity of the note, rather than the actual racism. For some people that's an unfortunate consequence of their skepticism, for others it is clearly the intent.

Is it really undue skepticism here? Especially considering the owner of the daycare also doesn't believe that it came from a parent.

I mean, we can hmm and haw about the intentions of skeptics, but I doubt anyone disagrees that being cautious about taking any information at face value is not a bad trait. And in this case especially, it's a viable path of discussion - if the belief really is that this isn't from a parent, then you need to consider who it could be - it could be someone who just lives in the area, or maybe a sibling of someone who goes to the daycare.

I think the intent of the letter is less ambiguous than the legitimacy if it's claims/threats. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't a parent, but that doesn't mean that this is in any way something to be dismissed - actually that makes it -WORSE- to me. If it's a parent, it's disgusting, but honest and straightforward. I am a disgusting person and I will pull my kid out of daycare - if that's a legitimate threat? Good, leave that daycare.

However, if it's a dick who gets their jollies from terrifying and harassing this woman and other minorities in the area, then this is something that feels like it could escalate in a way much worse than just having kids pulled. Which makes me glad the police are taking it as seriously as they are.

Zee-Row

Banned
This is probably the same type of person threatening to boycott sporting events because they pretend to not understand why black people kneel or put up their fist during the anthem.

HardRojo

I just don't have words to reply to this kind of shitty and unbelievable scenario. Making the daycare great again? FUCK OUTTA HERE! I really really really hope we can look back on us 20 years from now from a much better position and in a more welcoming world.

And here I am happy that my sons day care teachers are Hispanic and Indian. And my daughters are black and Hispanic.

Theres also a ton of diversity in each of their classes.

Wish I had access to a solid daycare like that. There's one black teacher there and two black kids there. No diversity.

Boke1879

It honestly reads like a parody. Racists can be pretty dumb huh?

That's what I'm saying. I have no doubts it's real, but holy shit it reads like someone was trying to pull a sick joke.

Regardless though. The intent is the same and it's targeting someone literally for the skin color.

1406606669132.png

Top Bottom