• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daytona USA announced for XBLA, PSN

When I got the STCC demo on the Saturn, the first thought that came into my head was NONE of my PS1 fanboy friends must ever see this. Haha. Terrible!

Lettuce

This is great news and all.....but would of been nice if they added the tracks from Daytona 2 and the DC exclusive tracks. Then that really would be an ultimate package and would happly stump up 1200 MS points for it

Cimarron

Damn! I'm going to be traveling on the 27th! No opening weekend races for me! =( I am so on top of Kareoke! :) What's been going on at Sega anyways? Evers since Sonic Colors theyu have been on a rolling start? Have the found their soul again? =)

Trojan X

Banned
Lettuce said:
This is great news and all.....but would of been nice if they added the tracks from Daytona 2 and the DC exclusive tracks. Then that really would be an ultimate package and would happly stump up 1200 MS points for it

Daytona 2 will come when its emulated at 100%. Same thing with Scud Race, Sega Rally 2 and all other Model 3 board games.

In some ways, yes it would be nice to get extra tracks but after 5 times trying I'd rather have a PERFECT model 2 game.

Trojan X said:
Daytona 2 will come when its emulated at 100%. Same thing with Scud Race, Sega Rally 2 and all other Model 3 board games.

In some ways, yes it would be nice to get extra tracks but after 5 times trying I'd rather have a PERFECT model 2 game.
I love the direction Sega its taking here. The price is perfect and given their great arcade legacy, they could cash in while giving fans what they want.

SkylineRKR

I am kind of thinking that we might end up getting those awesome Sega arcade games after all. Sega's sitting on a lot of arcade games out there and they surely won't limit it to just Daytona USA?

I'd be surprised if Sega Rally 1 and 2, used to be immensely popular in European arcades, won't make it to the stores at some point. If you ask me, the first Sega Rally is next up. But if they decide to port the DC version of SR2, i'm going to cry.

First things first, the consumer has to support and buy Daytona though.

Trojan X said:

Yeah, adding extra things can only hurt the package while it would cost Sega extra development and resources.

All I want is the model 2 version in all its glory, tailored for my HDTV and with netplay. This seems to be the case. I'm already pissed off when intros and attract modes are being omitted (yeah you, MvC2, Outrun Online Arcade and SF3 Online).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm getting the XBLA version. I've redeemed a 1600 MS Point card, spent 800 on Guardian Heroes, and will bank the rest until Daytona comes out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
suspicious of the controls after the disappointment of the DC version, but fingers crossed. Wheel support might be good, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable abusing my driving force GT like I did in the arcades - you really need to steer pretty aggressively

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
am2.jpg

We are most defintiely NOT worthy of the awesomeness of AM2. God I wish I could fly to Japan and meet the former members of AM2. Nagoshi may look like a Japanese 1990's Ice T pimp nowadays, but it doens't take away the great games he has given. He is a God of racing games in my view.

Oh and Peobo has confirmed this *IS* an arcade port of SRC. So controls *should* be 100% faithful to the original.

It's nice to see that they're porting Sega Racing Classic (and changing the name back to Daytona USA), but am I the only one who is sad that they're not porting/emulating the original Model 2 version?

Tomasooie

Nuclear Muffin said:
It's nice to see that they're porting Sega Racing Classic (and changing the name back to Daytona USA), but am I the only one who is sad that they're not porting/emulating the original Model 2 version?
Sega Racing Classic is a port (or emulation, not sure which) of the original Model 2 version, with the Daytona name stripped from the attract mode and music.

With this version, they'll be able to keep all of that in.

Trojan X

Banned
Tomasooie said:
Sega Racing Classic is a port (or emulation, not sure which) of the original Model 2 version, with the Daytona name stripped from the attract mode and music.

With this version, they'll be able to keep all of that in.

That's fine with me. I've played SEGA Racing Classics several times at an arcade show and it plays exactly the same as the original from what I remember. What killed it was the lack of original music but if this version got everything from the original then, folks, we got the ultimate version of Daytona 2 so we cannot ask for more!

To make this a legendary version of Daytona, SEGA need to update the game to 32 players online racing!! If they do that and provide a flawless experience then I guarantee that the entire gaming world would go INSANE!!!!!!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Trojan X said:
To make this a legendary version of Daytona, SEGA need to update the game to 32 players online racing!!

*sigh*....can you imagine how insane 32 players, or hell, even 60 players online would be? That would be nothing short of bonkers! Daytona is a game that is designed where the more cars on track, the more fun it gets. A 60 player lagless online race around 777 Speedway would be GLORIOUS!

By the way Trojan, what kind of controller will you be playing Daytona on? Gamepad? Wheel? If a wheel, which one?

Will be keen to hear speed wheel impressions for this on 360.
Not about to go serious/broke with a FFB wheel, but will not stand for regular controller Daytona!

Trojan X

Banned
isamu said:
*sigh*....can you imagine how insane 32 players, or hell, even 60 players online would be? That would be nothing short of bonkers! Daytona is a game that is designed where the more cars on track, the more fun it gets. A 60 player lagless online race around 777 Speedway would be GLORIOUS!

By the way Trojan, what kind of controller will you be playing Daytona on? Gamepad? Wheel? If a wheel, which one?

LoL! 60 players would be ludicrous but 32 players would be feasible before going into the realm of insanity. Daytona USA 2 goes up to 16 players plus one Relay monitor. The maximum players I've played against on Daytona USA 2 was 13 and that was completely off-the-hook!! Seriously, it was really fantastic beyond belief and it wasn't even the full 16 players play.

xbox-360-wired-controller.jpg

Currently, I've been playing Daytona USA, Daytona 2 and Scud Race on the Wired Xbox 360 PC Controller using the triggers as Brakes and Acceleration, X, A, Y and B as Gear 1, 2, 3 and 4, and the directional pad as the View changers. Frankly, it works gloriously without issues and the style I can play on the controller works exactly the same as the arcade.

However... I want a force feedback steering wheel and the one that I need would need to work on both the Xbox 360 and my PC (I want to use it for Forza 4 too), but the option range is too limited in comparison to taking the PS3 route (could buy one in consideration of GT5 but Forza is definitely more fun than GT5). So, I'm open for suggestions.

Vormund

Damn awesome. I have the clubsport aluminum pedals btw.

Weakest point is the gear shifter, it just sort of clicks when changing gears, which is fine for the sequential shifter, but not ideal for the six speed box. No problem knowing what gear you are in, Just wish it felt a bit more car like.

Force feedback can be quite strong, but you can adjust this. Honestly if you can afford it and love your racing games it's well worth the cost.

Trojan X

Banned
Vormund said:
Damn awesome. I have the clubsport aluminum pedals btw.

Weakest point is the gear shifter, it just sort of clicks when changing gears, which is fine for the sequential shifter, but not ideal for the six speed box. No problem knowing what gear you are in, Just wish it felt a bit more car like.

Force feedback can be quite strong, but you can adjust this. Honestly if you can afford it and love your racing games it's well worth the cost.

Excellent! Thank you for your quick feedback.

For me, I would love to enjoy strong force feedback again like I've experienced many times when I played racing games in the arcades.

How easy/compatible it is across the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, especially in consideration of the emulators?

Have you found any issues with certain games that was due to the controller itself?

You said the gear stick clicks in to place, does that mean it moves a little too flimsy for when you want to change gears?

Let us know. :)

Vormund

Trojan X:

For me, I would love to enjoy strong force feedback again like I've experienced many times when I played racing games in the arcades.

Definitely stronger than other FF wheels, Maybe not quite Daytona arcade level, I remember Daytona's FF being quite strong, but that could be just my dodgy memory

How easy/compatible it is across the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, especially in consideration of the emulators?

I haven't tried it with emulators, just mainly 360 (Forza) and PS3. (GT) PC was just with GRID and it worked perfectly with that. With PS3/PC you have to use the RF dongle, I suspect this just sends a HID signal out, and disables the XID when used.

Have you found any issues with certain games that was due to the controller itself?

Haven't come across any issues really. (that are due to the controller) Some games wouldn't support the 6 speed shifter, but that's expected.

You said the gear stick clicks in to place, does that mean it moves a little too flimsy for when you want to change gears?

Not really flimsy, just a short throw (which is good don't get me wrong) but a loud click which you can also feel. I just wished it was quieter and smoother.

edit: found 2 vids which may give you an idea about the shifter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXTbFAZHcN0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ0CQmwZOrY&feature=related

Coxy

Raide said:
Border Break next please!

I think if that's happening it'll be next summer around the time of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown when they start rolling out larger arcade releases. I'd be happy if they just announced it now like VF5FS though, just so we can be sure it's actually coming

Trojan X

Banned
Vormund said:
Trojan X:

Definitely stronger than other FF wheels, Maybe not quite Daytona arcade level, I remember Daytona's FF being quite strong, but that could be just my dodgy memory

I haven't tried it with emulators, just mainly 360 (Forza) and PS3. (GT) PC was just with GRID and it worked perfectly with that. With PS3/PC you have to use the RF dongle, I suspect this just sends a HID signal out, and disables the XID when used.

Haven't come across any issues really. (that are due to the controller) Some games wouldn't support the 6 speed shifter, but that's expected.

Not really flimsy, just a short throw (which is good don't get me wrong) but a loud click which you can also feel. I just wished it was quieter and smoother.

edit: found 2 vids which may give you an idea about the shifter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXTbFAZHcN0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ0CQmwZOrY&feature=related

THank you for your solid feedback. I know what you mean about the click, it sounds horrible! However, I can see that the steering wheel looks incredible.

Isamu, what do you think? You are the one that practically got an arcade in your home.

gragy10

All looking spot on, just hope gamepad support is handled properly.
Still scarred by the dreamcast versions uber sensitive ways..

isamu

Trojan X said:
THank you for your solid feedback. I know what you mean about the click, it sounds horrible! However, I can see that the steering wheel looks incredible.

Isamu, what do you think? You are the one that practically got an arcade in your home.

Dude I'll be honest with you....if you are that keen on playing on xbox with a good wheel, you must....MUST wait for the Fanatec ClubSport Elite wheel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_PwwKbrMIk&feature=player_embedded#at=24

It is going to be their BEST FFB wheel yet by a COUNTRY FUCKING MILE! They are going to be taking pre-orders soon and if you don't jump on the boat when they do, you'll miss it. Going by what I've seen and read so far, I will say I think this wheel will most definitely give you the Daytona strong FFB Arcade feeling you crave. And don't forget it will work beautifully with Forza 4, as well it's a multisystem wheel so PS3 and PC are also compatible.

I swear if I didn't already have my ECCI 7000 FFB wheel I would be gushing over that ClubSport Elite wheel. But dammit I simply can't justify buying another wheel *JUST* for multiplayer Daytona, when I can already use mine on PC via Model 2 emulator.

So yeah man, I'd go with that ClubSport Elite wheel in a heartbeat if I were you.

Trojan X

Banned
isamu said:
Dude I'll be honest with you....if you are that keen on playing on xbox with a good wheel, you must....MUST wait for the Fanatec ClubSport Elite wheel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_PwwKbrMIk&feature=player_embedded#at=24

It is going to be their BEST FFB wheel yet by a COUNTRY FUCKING MILE! They are going to be taking pre-orders soon and if you don't jump on the boat when they do, you'll miss it. Going by what I've seen and read so far, I will say I think this wheel will most definitely give you the Daytona strong FFB Arcade feeling you crave. And don't forget it will work beautifully with Forza 4, as well it's a multisystem wheel so PS3 and PC are also compatible.

I swear if I didn't already have my ECCI 7000 FFB wheel I would be gushing over that ClubSport Elite wheel. But dammit I simply can't justify buying another wheel *JUST* for multiplayer Daytona, when I can already use mine on PC via Model 2 emulator.

So yeah man, I'd go with that ClubSport Elite wheel in a heartbeat if I were you.

HOLY CRAP!!!!

Cost? COST??! HOW MUCH THIS AWESOME THING WILL COST?>?!??!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trojan X

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
Sorry ive been out of it with an infection and now I've had my freaking PS3 stolen so I haven't been paying full attention to the thread :(

Perfectly fine. Read the rest of the thread and rejoice along with us. Most of us are hoping that the controls are perfect, the online experience is flawless, and the update support to be insane (yes SEGA, work on the 32-players online play).

Dwayne

Trojan X said:

Pretty sure SEGA could get those games up and running on modern hardware in a few weeks if they wanted to.

Trojan X

Banned
Dwayne said:
Pretty sure SEGA could get those games up and running on modern hardware in a few weeks if they wanted to.

Doubt it. It would never happen otherwise we would have received Daytona and many other games over 10 years ago. Also, even if they put their resources into it, the quality would not even be to our satisfaction. Take a look at their Dreamcast game conversions to the Xbox 360 as an example... Most of them were no good.

I know its early, but do we know if the face buttons will be assigned to each gear?

It was one of the changes in the DC version I absolutely adored.

Top Bottom