• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daytona USA announced for XBLA, PSN

Looks like a quick and dirty Dreamcast port to me. :/

I figured this all along. Sega takes the quick and easy way out.

If they had just given us an arcade perfect port of Daytona 2, I'd pay $20 without hesitation. I won't be buying this. Not even at $10. Same thing with the Crazy Taxi port. Do it right, or don't do it at all Sega. :|

ACH1LL3US

BruiserBear said:

If they had just given us an arcade perfect port of Daytona 2, I'd pay $20 without hesitation. I won't be buying this. Not even at $10. Same thing with the Crazy Taxi port. Do it right, or don't do it at all Sega. :|

Really? Its NOT the Dreamcast game. Its a port of the Sega Racing Classic game form the arcade that came out last year I believe.

Did you even WATCH the video of the game on youtube? It looks fantastic :0

SkylineRKR

BruiserBear said:

This version is pretty much how I remember the original Model 2 arcade game. Its not like the DC version at all.

God i hate Sony and their inability to often release games worldwide at the same. Get with the times and have one certification for all markets. If MS can do it, Sony should too.

Blackvette94 said:
Really? Its NOT the Dreamcast game. Its a port of the Sega Racing Classic game form the arcade that came out last year I believe.

Did you even WATCH the video of the game on youtube? It looks fantastic :0

Yes, I watched the video and it looks exactly like the Dreamcast game to me.

Oh man, I can't wait for this game to get terrible reviews because the "game is dated" and there is a "lack of options for tracks and cars." It will be grand seeing how many reviewers don't get it.

SkylineRKR said:
Dreamcast:

http://youtu.be/43xKYCTNEWA

PSN/XBLA:

http://youtu.be/6IpyXiMfWvI

Sure, they show similarities as they are both Daytona USA perhaps? But they are different. And the biggest issues people had with the DC version were its controls that didn't feel right. This same complaint also went for CCE on the Saturn.

You're right. I watched and compared again. It does not appear to be an exact port of the Dreamcast version.

But still, why not port the version of this game that everyone really wants? Daytona 2?

Ogni-XR21

OK, I know at least 6 people I can convince to spend 10€ to buy this game. This will be my agenda until release, to convince everyone I know to buy this game.

I might even make a US PSN account and buy it twice... can you still make accounts for other regions?

SkylineRKR

Well, I figure Model 3 emulation isn't there yet. Or they're just saving it for later. If they start with Daytona 2, the first game would be a hard sell.

But from what I remember, Daytona 2 wasn't a great success back then. A lot of people apparently hated it. I didn't see it around that much.

BruiserBear said:
Yes, I watched the video and it looks exactly like the Dreamcast game to me.

800px-Geraet_beim_Optiker.jpg

ULTROS! said:
Never knew that. You can play the arcade classic in EAD anyway (meaning you play the old, 8-bit one).
Seriously man you need to go play Elevator Action Returns.

Absolutely destroys the original Elevator Action.

(Deluxe is nice too but a very different kind of game)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
BruiserBear said:
You're right. I watched and compared again. It does not appear to be an exact port of the Dreamcast version.

But still, why not port the version of this game that everyone really wants? Daytona 2?

it's not any sort of port of the DC game.

And Daytona 2 is/was not nearly as popular as the original.

luffeN

Clarification for Europe:

Sega Germany said:
...kündigen wir auch das Comeback von Daytona USA auf XBLA und PSN an. Der Rennspiel-Klassiker erscheint am 26. Oktober 2011 auf XBLA und kostet 800 MS-Punkte. Die PSN-Version ist Ende November erhältlich.

So XBLA late October and PSN late November.

Xater

SkylineRKR said:
Well, I figure Model 3 emulation isn't there yet. Or they're just saving it for later. If they start with Daytona 2, the first game would be a hard sell.

But from what I remember, Daytona 2 wasn't a great success back then. A lot of people apparently hated it. I didn't see it around that much.

They don't do emulation on PS3 and 360. This is a port and so would a Model 3 game be. I am pretty sure as long as they have the source code a Model 3 game port can#t be that difficult.

Satchel

Banned
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

Daaayyyytoooooonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I have dreamed of he day an arcade perfect port would make its way to my home. Now that it will, I can die a happy man. I think I'll double dip to celebrate.

GrayFoxPL

BruiserBear said:

It's not a "version". It's a sequel from arcade machine a class higher. Like vf2 from model 2 and vf3 from model 3.

Xater

GrayFoxPL said:
It's not a "version". It's a sequel from arcade machine a class higher. Like vf2 from model 2 and vf3 from model 3.

I also want Daytona 2 so bad. That one never got a home release in the first place.

SkylineRKR

Xater said:
They don't do emulation on PS3 and 360. This is a port and so would a Model 3 game be. I am pretty sure as long as they have the source code a Model 3 game port can#t be that difficult.

I hope so. I think Model 3 graphics are still among the most beautiful out there. Ofcourse technically surpassed on most levels by now, but the visuals were really something. They were games, still far from reality. Colorful, clean as fuck while at a sick framerate that never lets down.

bender

What time is it?
Sigh. Time to start shopping for a wheel. Any suggestions? I think the last wheel I owned was a Logitech GT for the PS2 (before the 900 degree support).

Xater

SkylineRKR said:
I hope so. I think Model 3 graphics are still among the most beautiful out there. Ofcourse technically surpassed on most levels by now, but the visuals were really something. They were games, still far from reality. Colorful, clean as fuck while at a sick framerate that never lets down.

I totally agree. To this day I still get a lot of enjoyment out of the graphics when I put some money in the local Daytona 2 machine. Havign it at home to play it as much as I like would be awesome.

Trojan X

Banned
Du2andal said:
I never realized that people didn't like the DC version. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath for an update.

Daytona USA 2001 was a game that sold by name only, and I'm afraid that it was never a game to admire nor wish for it to be ported to any other devices no matter the shape or form. The only things that was good about the Dreamcast version were National Park Speedway and Mermaid Lake courses (though there were hardly anything memorable about those courses other than the big dip and so on), and one of the new music tracks such as Rin Rin Rink and the remixed "blue blu Skies". Otherwise than those, the game missed the magic that made Daytona USA so incredibly successful. In fact, I knew many people that actually replaced the sound-fx with the arcade's sound bites and stuck to playing the original Daytona courses.

Its a pity, because I was there when SEGA originally announced Daytona USA 2001 (it was in a massive theatre/cinema in London in which they showcased a host of Dreamcast games on the big screen. When they revealed Daytona USA on that screen, people screamed the cinema down like they have all won a million £$) and the reception for the game was huge, but the actual game was a massive let-down so no body wanted to talk about it after game release.

BruiserBear said:

Because, like Super Gt/Scud Race Daytona 2 is a crappy racing game. It really is. It feels nothing like Daytona 1 and nothing like driving a car, let alone a stock car. Even Daytona 1 has awful vehicle physics but still feels more like driving and is fun which is why people still play it in arcades today. Daytona 2 in the arcade was a total missed mark and, generally, people who loved the original didn't like the sequel near as much.

I actually hope that Sega can bring all their arcade racers out so people can finally accept that some of them, for all the pretty looks at the time, were not fun to play.

Trojan X

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Because, like Super Gt/Scud Race Daytona 2 is a crappy racing game. It really is. It feels nothing like Daytona 1 and nothing like driving a car, let alone a stock car. Even Daytona 1 has awful vehicle physics but still feels more like driving and is fun which is why people still play it in arcades today. Daytona 2 in the arcade was a total missed mark and, generally, people who loved the original didn't like the sequel near as much.

I actually hope that Sega can bring all their arcade racers out so people can finally accept that some of them, for all the pretty looks at the time, were not fun to play.

Speak for yourself. I'm playing SCUD RACE, Daytona USA and Daytona USA 2 right now and I cannot believe how incredibly well these games play. They remind me why these games are so magical to put SEGA on the top of the world during the arcade gaming era. The fact that they are over 15 years old and still provide me with more satisfaction than MANY of the racing games released today is saying a great deal! It's unfortunate that you will never understand.

Demathe

Neo Member
Seeing that glorious AM2 logo at the start of that announcement trailer makes me so happy.
They'll take real good care of this port, as it's their game.

Xater

Warm Machine said:

Like Trojan X said, speak for yourself. Daytona 2 is awesome and I still play it every chance I get.

SkylineRKR

I love Daytona 2, its one of my favourite arcade games ever. But I can see why some people didn't like the game. Daytona 2 indeed didn't feel like the original and Daytona 1 was considered to be the best arcade racer ever made.

The tracks of Daytona 2 were as if being made during an LSD trip, especially the amusement park one. The game was oddball but I loved the tracks to bits, they were original and daring. The game was a blast to play during those drunken nights, and then seeing that ship hovering above you...

And the graphics were nothing short of amazing back then. The effects the game threw at you were great. I ended up liking it more than the original, because that game began to feel so tame compared to Daytona 2.

As for Scud Race I gotta say I never found it to be that great outside of the graphics. The real life cars were nice I guess.

Trojan X

Banned
Demathe said:
Seeing that glorious AM2 logo at the start of that announcement trailer makes me so happy.
They'll take real good care of this port, as it's their game.

I got a funny feeling that it was the guy who made the M2 Emulator was the one who made this port, not SEGA. Frankly, if that's true then that's one of the best decision SEGA has made next to appointing Platinum Games.

Trojan X

Banned
SkylineRKR said:
I love Daytona 2, its one of my favourite arcade games ever. But I can see why some people didn't like the game. Daytona 2 indeed didn't feel like the original and Daytona 1 was considered to be the best arcade racer ever made.

The tracks of Daytona 2 were as if being made during an LSD trip, especially the amusement park one. The game was oddball but I loved the tracks to bits, they were original and daring. The game was a blast to play during those drunken nights, and then seeing that ship hovering above you...

And the graphics were nothing short of amazing back then. The effects the game threw at you were great. I ended up liking it more than the original, because that game began to feel so tame compared to Daytona 2.

As for Scud Race I gotta say I never found it to be that great outside of the graphics. The real life cars were nice I guess.

I'll tell you the ultimate reason why many people didn't like it. It's because they didn't know that selecting the PROFESSIONAL car is the one that handles very close to the original. The handling for the other two cars were not the same and handled confusingly. In general, those that knew about this were the ones that went crazy about the game and I was one of them. Daytona 2 IS the true sequel to Daytona USA, and playing the game on Grand Prix mode unlocked the need for the player to use the Pit-Stop due to tire-wear and all the CPU AI vehicles want to knock you off the road and explode into flames when they can't handle themselves properly. Insane.

Demathe

Neo Member
Trojan X said:
I got a funny feeling that it was the guy who made the M2 Emulator was the one who made this port, not SEGA. Frankly, if that's true then that's one of the best decision SEGA has made next to appointing Platinum Games.

ElSemi? Yeah that would be awesome. If not just for this release of Daytona USA, but also because it would add probability to any future releases of other classic model 2/model 3 games, including Daytona USA 2 and SCUD (both of which are amazing videogames).

Still, even if Sega's working with him, I want AM2 involved in this :)

Demathe

Neo Member
GreggTheGrimReaper said:
Sorry if this has already been answered but will I be able to use a Fanatec Elite on PS3 for this?

Unknown as of yet. Announcement states:

Pedal to the Metal: Drive like a pro with included support for the Logitech GT Driving Force steering wheel controller on PS3™, and all Xbox 360-supported steering wheel controllers

The fact it says "all Xbox 360-supported wheels" but specifically mentions the Logitech GT for PS3 makes me think they're not officially supporting other PS3 wheels...let's hope that's not the case (have a G27 myself)

Gagaman

An arcade perfect port of this has been 17 years in waiting, though I still love to play the Saturn version from time to time it did look ropey as hell. The Dreamcast one was fun too but the controls were really twitchy and not like the arcade one.

This + Sonic CD + Guardian Heroes (so long as it also comes to PSN) makes me very happy with Sega right now. They are really putting some love and care into these ports unlike those sloppy backbone Mega Drive releases.

Jazzem

Daytona's freaking 'A :D I got a Saturn recently and whenever I have access to it (didn't take it with me to uni) I keep coming back to Daytona and Sega Rally a lot. Something about those games, they have the handling and sense of speed nailed down. Even with only three tracks they're more replayable than the majority of racers out there.

Though obviously the Saturn port doesn't hold up too well visually, heh. I hear the Japanese version of Daytona: CCE on Saturn fixed all of the problems in the western version?

Top Bottom