• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

WedgeX

Banned
Well. This was in my possession briefly. Until my timely murder.

iX3hXz3nllJXA.bmp

ibhur3SyDlVofD.bmp

WedgeX

Banned
It was a well deserved death. You don't drive into the NW Airfield without paying the reaper his toll.

I was an innocent passenger who just wanted to go to Cherno and start a bread factory!

Speaking of which, I ended up at Cherno once more and resumed my role as defender of the city by taking out a sniper who was atop the grain elevator.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Don't have access to a PC now so can someone tell me how much it costs on Steam now to buy the necessary games to play this?

$29.99 on Steam or $24.99 direct from BIA which just gives you the code to unlock it on steam. :p I had $25.00 from some diablo 3 rmah sales so picked this up.

Best music to listen to, while playing DayZ?

I find instrumental post rock best suits post apocalyptic settings.
Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A#
Cliff Martinez - Drive: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Piano Solos work as well
George Winston - Autumn

Well, I've been thinking, and I decided that I am going to drop the lone wolf act for a while. I think it would make the game less stressful and more fun, so I guess I'll check out the mumble and see whats up starting tomorrow.

ZenVolta

Well, I've been thinking, and I decided that I am going to drop the lone wolf act for a while. I think it would make the game less stressful and more fun, so I guess I'll check out the mumble and see whats up starting tomorrow.

Can someone post the mumble info again? One more reporting in for Gaf army

Orgun

Well. This was in my possession briefly. Until my timely murder.

iX3hXz3nllJXA.bmp

ibhur3SyDlVofD.bmp

Oh shit, maybe he's finally implementing his plan of being able to turn the lights on in cities, power radio stations etc. Or a bug.

It's crazy, ARMA2 OA is still the UK steam top seller.

Got tents EVERYWHERE
Cherno Base: ak/winny/lee/2x all common tools, 2x alice packs/med supplies/food
Stary:M24+60 rounds/cz+5rounds/akm/
NW Airfield: Coyote Backpack/1x all tools/dmr+7mags/akm/ak74/m4a1cco/g17/1911/medical supplies

ZenVolta

Got tents EVERYWHERE
Cherno Base: ak/winny/lee/2x all common tools, 2x alice packs/med supplies/food
Stary:M24+60 rounds/cz+5rounds/akm/
NW Airfield: Coyote Backpack/1x all tools/dmr+7mags/akm/ak74/m4a1cco/g17/1911/medical supplies

Are you setting up a shop or starting a war?

Irish

Obviously, because if we are going to spawn items, we're going to ensure that they are shitty ones.

Farming Stary, of course.

gutabo

its the name of a hack that spawns items.

It could be just server hopping/farming, I mean, I don't see 10 NVGs or 10 ghillie suits... but if it's hacking, are you also doing aimbot or other more scary stuff? That stuff has been keeping me from playing for almost 10 days now :(

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw Irish's post.

I think the main thing with this update is night raids are a must.

Got very annoyed just there though. I knew someone was in a town so am scouting it, someone runs right beside me - I look at them, dnt aim, dnt shoot. Go to type.

There just a standing target - suddenly their aiming - I try to run and they shoot.

Pointless. Nothing for them to gain, I wasn't a threat, all they had to do was aim and talk./sigh

goonergaz

This mod seems to have been totally ruined before I get the chance to play properly...gutted...they need to find a way to stop people just going round playing deathmatch IMO :(

I'd be tempted to go on servers with low numbers but I hear they prey on those too :|

ZenVolta

Man, I wish they would figure out how to have loot despawn and respawn. I hate going into a building it just being full of tin cans and bottles.

$29.99 on Steam or $24.99 direct from BIA which just gives you the code to unlock it on steam. :p I had $25.00 from some diablo 3 rmah sales so picked this up.

BIA?

By the way, has there been any gaf squad drama? like one guy betraying the team and killing someone. I wonder what the reaction would be lol. I'm going to buy this.

I think the main thing with this update is night raids are a must.

Got very annoyed just there though. I knew someone was in a town so am scouting it, someone runs right beside me - I look at them, dnt aim, dnt shoot. Go to type.

There just a standing target - suddenly their aiming - I try to run and they shoot.

Pointless. Nothing for them to gain, I wasn't a threat, all they had to do was aim and talk./sigh

This mod seems to have been totally ruined before I get the chance to play properly...gutted...they need to find a way to stop people just going round playing deathmatch IMO :(

I'd be tempted to go on servers with low numbers but I hear they prey on those too :|
Sounds like the griefers/bandits have taken over and it's become TDM? Goddammit i wish i got in on this earlier

BIA?

By the way, has there been any gaf squad drama? like one guy betraying the team and killing someone. I wonder what the reaction would be lol. I'm going to buy this.

BIA = Bohemia, the developer.

At this point all of the original DayZ group have shot at or killed each other. As a Public Service I occasionally shoot at the GAF group if they get too comfortable in one place. Sometimes someone dies.

I confess randomly, but I think there are still people who don't know it was me when they were hunted.

WedgeX

Banned
BIA?

Purposely killing/betraying? Nix has, often. Broken murderer mik. Osteo and mob murdered boogiepop and I, possibly cardigan, (and mik by extension since he bled out) yesterday. gibs has shot just about every gaffer.

I'm going back to my plan, sniper rifle in hand. Making Cherno safe for the unarmed.

Purposely killing/betraying? Nix has, often. Broken murderer mik. Osteo and mob murdered boogiepop and I, possibly cardigan, (and mik by extension since he bled out) yesterday. gibs has shot just about every gaffer.

I'm going back to my plan, sniper rifle in hand. Making Cherno safe for the unarmed.

I've actually only killed 3 of you. One of which was an accident when Gibs ran across my line of fire and my bullet went right into his head. I usually just intend to scare the shit out of you guys after you spend way too much time planning the simplest mission only to be greeted by random bullet fire.

The dam killings were shit. I meant to kill Mik and someone else. Your communication is fuck awful, so I got all of you mixed up based on what you were saying and ended up killing you and Stuntman. At that point I just shot wildly at Broken, Mob and Abs. The funniest thing to come of that was you guys bitching about how terrible a shot I was.. yet the first two killed people.

Fake Edit: Oh, and come back to Cherno. I need blood :p

WedgeX

Banned
I've actually only killed 3 of you. One of which was an accident when Gibs ran across my line of fire and my bullet went right into his head. I usually just intend to scare the shit out of you guys after you spend way too much time planning the simplest mission only to be greeted by random bullet fire.

The dam killings were shit. I meant to kill Mik and someone else. Your communication is fuck awful, so I got all of you mixed up based on what you were saying and ended up killing you and Stuntman. At that point I just shot wildly at Broken, Mob and Abs. The funniest thing to come of that was you guys bitching about how terrible a shot I was.. yet the first two killed people.

Fake Edit: Oh, and come back to Cherno. I need blood :p

Imma chop your head off. And then throw blood bags around your body.

Anyone gong to Elektro feel safer! I've taken down some wire that was used by griefers to block:
- The Church
- The Offices
- The Firestations (someone else did the inner city ones - I came back to it after running away from it (Z's) - shat myself slightly :D but still managed to loot.

They really need to make the menu selection easier, between this and getting new bags (and looting outdoor toilets) its not made easy.

Random zombie spotting means its easier just to run, hide, run, hide - its really broken the game up for me and made it less 'good'. They should change it so that if one zombie spots you (proper spots you, no dice throwing vision) the ones near it are alerted and follow. That would really add to the tension of sneaking in and around.

Not to mention bandits would have to take more care over 'to shoot' or 'not to shoot' decisions.

Plus just to make it easier, have a slight chance of Zombies stumbling outside of spawn areas. That way theres a valid strategy in just 'giving up' and running out of those areas. Helps new players especially.

I don't quite see the point in having wire in the game until it can stop Z's mind. Its just used against players otherwise.

Anyway - looted Elektro and on my final visit (church) I found some matches. Gonna go find some meat. Blood up - then maybe try a hospital for some morphine supplies (broken legs are rare now, but still a basic necessity.

WedgeX

Banned
I don't quite see the point in having wire in the game until it can stop Z's mind. Its just used against players otherwise..

I used wire in Cherno to funnel people approaching our camp into a few select choke points. Made it far easier to defend.

But the wire that blocks off buildings entirely unless you ghost from another server are awful. I go out of my way to remove those.

Worst of all, the removed wire comes back to life after server restarts. That needs to be addressed eventually.

The Shift

Banned

Nah man, do it all the time. As a solo player you learn to adapt. The environment will tell you what you need to know. It is a shame the game has hit a brick wall but more dev time will hopefully sort out the glaringly obvious flaws.

In my opinion this is the concept Dust514 should have been. CCP fucked up by making that title a PS3 exclusive based around tiny battlefields, leaderboards and all the console FPS cliches they could pack in there. They have the framework in place to make a game like DayZ something special when considering economy, market, sovereignty, corporations, alliances, PVE, PVP...the list goes on. They have fuck all experience when it comes to actually making a FPS title that much is obvious. An ARMA3 engine PC science fiction game based in the EVE universe would rock my socks. Would have to be a competent dev to pull it off though.

Actually, as it stands right now the DayZ community is like a concentrated version of a subset of players in EVE - losec gatecampers. Any EVE player will immediately see the correlation.

There are directions this game can go that would be so awesome, small things like -

Lockpicking similar to Bethesda games. Booby-trapping loot/locks to offset. Wouldn't it be nice to find the keys to the properties we enter and own them. Being able to lock people out, imagine freaking out as someone is at the door trying to lockpick their way in - yikes!! This is good for PVP too as people can steal from others houses/apartments or kill them outright and take the keys for themselves, have the address scribes on the key so you might kill someone out in the wilderness near Pavlovo carrying a key for an apartment in Berezino. Infiltration by stealth/disguise(similar to the Hitman games) into opposing factions properties - would love to sneak into an enemies encampment/apartment disguised as one of them and poison their Coke and Beans!!! More vehicles, not necessarily military. Civilian aquatic and air is a must. Flying a Cessna with friends in the pitch black of night with NVG and cutting the engine, gliding down and landing on a deserted road not far from an enemy base is an amazing experience to be had - Flashpoint was such a great game for it's time.

There are so many influences that could be applied here that will create emergent possibilities rather than the paranoia online that the game has become. Don't get me wrong - I love DayZ and it does accommodate my preferred playstyle(stealth) and the anxiety and adrenaline rush is second to none, maybe EVE is closest in my experience.

Bought the game and installed the mods and everything, but whenever I try to join any servers, either I can't join them or I'm stuck at black screen with loading screen.

ultron87

I played a bunch with a friend yesterday. This game goes against every co-op instinct in my body as most of those instincts are "kill the other person in as comical a fashion as possible".

After losing literally every item I had collected due to the "weapon to backpack glitch" followed by the "putting on a ghillie suit glitch" we were at least able to find a load of stuff at Berezino. I was kind of shocked we didn't see any people the whole time we were looting the town.

The Shift

Banned
Bought the game and installed the mods and everything, but whenever I try to join any servers, either I can't join them or I'm stuck at black screen with loading screen.

There are still heaps of servers not updated to 1.7.2. Did you install the latest ARMA beta patch from here?

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Get that(94700) and install, correctly path your shortcut to the beta , make sure you have 1.7.2 installed and only join 1.7.2 servers and you should be good to go.

Are you setting up a shop or starting a war?

I'm stockpiling our nuclear deterrents
We had a gillied up sniper harassing us at our old base, and when you walked back up you were naked. Now If I need to go north I have sniper rifles and Assault rifles in tents to take them out.

There are still heaps of servers not updated to 1.7.2. Did you install the latest ARMA beta patch from here?

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Get that(94700) and install, correctly path your shortcut to the beta , make sure you have 1.7.2 installed and only join 1.7.2 servers and you should be good to go.
I did install the latest patch and everything, but on the multiplayer server list, it says I still have 1.6.0 and only can join 1.6.0 servers.

Enter on the numpad.
How do you jump and use ladders?

I'm new to steam and I really want to get this game. Any chance this will be on sale soon? I'd feel like an idiot if I bit the $30 and it was going on sale in a couple days.

Top Bottom