• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

There is no jump. You'll see an up or down arrow when looking at a ladder, if you don't then use the scroll wheell to bring up the prompt to climb.
Thanks. I managed to find a rifle, which happens to be my very first weapon I found. How do you loot other player's corpse? I tried pressing "g" but it's not doing anything.

Thanks. I managed to find a rifle, which happens to be my very first weapon I found. How do you loot other player's corpse? I tried pressing "g" but it's not doing anything.

Using hotkeys is contextual. You should see an icon when looking at the corpse and when you do, hit G. If not, use the scrollwheel.

The Cherno Gaf City Over Watch might want to check the fire station. An unhelpful wire fence is up. It blocks the stairs - I tried to take it down, but I ended up opening the door and got crushed between it and the wire -_- fortunately I had morphine.

Didn't have time to muck around though - just something to look out for.

I've been enjoying quietly helping people today. Just 1 or 2 people directly (someone getting chased by a zombie, but I think he thought I was shooting at him cause he D/C'd lol and another doing god knows what - running around just agroing everything in sight! Gave up helping that one eventually.

WedgeX

Banned
The Cherno Gaf City Over Watch might want to check the fire station. An unhelpful wire fence is up. It blocks the stairs - I tried to take it down, but I ended up opening the door and got crushed between it and the wire -_- fortunately I had morphine.

Didn't have time to muck around though - just something to look out for.

I've been enjoying quietly helping people today. Just 1 or 2 people directly (someone getting chased by a zombie, but I think he thought I was shooting at him cause he D/C'd lol and another doing god knows what - running around just agroing everything in sight! Gave up helping that one eventually.

We've tried removing that wire fencing from all angles, and no luck whatsoever.

My guy is about to die from starvation and I still haven't found any food... but I found whole bunch of weapons that I don't even need.

JambiBum

Joined the server today, spawned in some crazy barren land and died right away. Thus losing my things :(. Respawned in a normal spot though. So now I just have to gather resources again.

Also, I just got kicked because of battle eye? It was running just fine all day.

The new update feels awful to me, Zombies see me from way too far now and they only spawn when I am pretty close to them. Also got zombies that suddenly spawn around me at some places.

KissVibes

Banned
Earlier this morning, I saw a guy on US38 driving a white GAZ. He crashed it and went into Cherno, I guess to get a new tire. I happened to have one, fixed the car, and went on an epic joy ride.

So awesome.

Bogeypop

We've tried removing that wire fencing from all angles, and no luck whatsoever.

I've removed it and other annoying wire fences in Cherno countless times, but they keep coming back after server restarts.

If anyone wants to take a shot at the Cherno Firestation wire the trick I found is to aim at the right side before you enter the tower of the Firestation itself.

Dakota47

Question. I've got ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead on Steam. I am planning to buy ArmA II vanilla when it goes on (proper) sale. If I have both, will it turn into Combined Operations automagically or do I have to do something?

Question. I've got ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead on Steam. I am planning to buy ArmA II vanilla when it goes on (proper) sale. If I have both, will it turn into Combined Operations automagically or do I have to do something?

Once you install the beta patch needed to run the mod yes.

Anyone else like to put bikes in the middle of roads and then go and hide somewhere sniping anyone who gets on? I think people would notice by now that the dead bodies near the bike are not for show. Oh well -shoots-. I like to RP as a lone wolf sniper, I use my bike as bait and kill anyone who touches it dies. if they run by, I do not open fire. My bike is my wife and partner in crime, the zombies done messed up my mind.

WedgeX

Banned
Anyone else like to put bikes in the middle of roads and then go and hide somewhere sniping anyone who gets on? I think people would notice by now that the dead bodies near the bike are not for show. Oh well -shoots-. I like to RP as a lone wolf sniper, I use my bike as bait and kill anyone who touches it dies. if they run by, I do not open fire. My bike is my wife and partner in crime, the zombies done messed up my mind.

You...should chronicle this.

Sorry baller , thought you were hostile and I assumed you were about to fire on gaf just prior to me head shooting you.

Sorry mik I thought your svd was a crossbow.

Irish

How do drive?

zKFfb.jpg

How steep a learning curve does DayZ have? I really want to get involved, but not to the point hat I join up and instantly die. I want one continuous game going with a couple of friends.

Also, when you spawn, how easy is it to meet with friends? Do they spawn nearby, or do you have to traverse a lot of ground first?

Bogeypop

I am the survivor!

Made it to Stary Sobor from Berezino with only 200 blood and my bike. Only time will tell if I can make it from Stary Sobor to Electro for a transfusion. :O

EDIT:: I alt+tabbed and when I came in my controls were messed up and I couldn't aim properly, so a zombie killed me on my way to Electro :(

JambiBum

How steep a learning curve does DayZ have? I really want to get involved, but not to the point hat I join up and instantly die. I want one continuous game going with a couple of friends.

Also, when you spawn, how easy is it to meet with friends? Do they spawn nearby, or do you have to traverse a lot of ground first?

I've only been playing for around 4 days or so and I've gotten the hang of it pretty easily. Granted I watched a decent amount of streams beforehand so that probably helped.

Spawns are usually random, so unless you all spawn in roughly the same area meeting can be a pain. Especially without a map. I had to do a lot of scavenging on my own until I finally met up with Wedge who just happened to be heading in my direction.

You can get a continuous game going with friends pretty easily once you meet up. It's just that initial meet without any good supplies that can be a bit rough.

I've only been playing for around 4 days or so and I've gotten the hang of it pretty easily. Granted I watched a decent amount of streams beforehand so that probably helped.

Spawns are usually random, so unless you all spawn in roughly the same area meeting can be a pain. Especially without a map. I had to do a lot of scavenging on my own until I finally met up with Wedge who just happened to be heading in my direction.

You can get a continuous game going with friends pretty easily once you meet up. It's just that initial meet without any good supplies that can be a bit rough.

Okay, cool - so if I were to organise getting a team together, first I'd have to rough it for a few days, get my shit together, hopefully find a map and hope the others have done the same? Then it's possible (and safe) to meet up? I don't mind running around on my own and being a bit of a lone ranger, but eventually meeting up to raid places/find supplies is better, right?

JambiBum

Okay, cool - so if I were to organise getting a team together, first I'd have to rough it for a few days, get my shit together, hopefully find a map and hope the others have done the same? Then it's possible (and safe) to meet up? I don't mind running around on my own and being a bit of a lone ranger, but eventually meeting up to raid places/find supplies is better, right?

Yeah it's safer to move in groups. You could get lucky and find each other without a map but you would probably at least need a compass. I didn't have a map when I found the group but I did have a compass. Just be prepared to die a few times until you get the hang of things.

Yeah it's safer to move in groups. You could get lucky and find each other without a map but you would probably at least need a compass. I didn't have a map when I found the group but I did have a compass. Just be prepared to die a few times until you get the hang of things.

Alright, I'll do my best... Oh, and what's this thing about glitching doors? And the backpack glitch losing items? Feel like I should know these things before I start playing. Don't you have to access your backpack in some sort of specific way?

Youtube Dayz and you'll find some episodes where you can follow people starting up. Should give you a good idea :)

Dgott

Banned
Damn, the more time I spend reading this thread, the worse that itch to build a new computer grows. My woman isn't gonna be happy when I start building one because I'm going top shelf all the way.

Tried to play this on my laptop, gets maybe 1 frame per second.. Lol

Interfectum

Damn, the more time I spend reading this thread, the worse that itch to build a new computer grows. My woman isn't gonna be happy when I start building one because I'm going top shelf all the way.

buy her some earrings or something

What are you talking about? Your obviously lying - your evidently buying a great new computer and some great games in order to introduce her into the games you like!

Its to strengthen your relationship and a gift for her!

You just remember thats exactly what it is! ;)

NH Apache

Banned
So want to buy CO for 23.99 just for Dayz.

Is it stable enough to enjoy it? I've lurked this thread for what seems like weeks and noticed recently that many gaffers say that it's broken, etc. On the flipside, the No, no, no, no, no video was enough to make me want to crack out.

So, worth it to buy now or should I wait for Arma3 or the official Dayz product?

Nemic77

So want to buy CO for 23.99 just for Dayz.

Is it stable enough to enjoy it? I've lurked this thread for what seems like weeks and noticed recently that many gaffers say that it's broken, etc. On the flipside, the No, no, no, no, no video was enough to make me want to crack out.

So, worth it to buy now or should I wait for Arma3 or the official Dayz product?

I'd get it now if I was really interested... There's no knowing when Dayz will get out of beta or how it will be sold in the future. I think I also read Rocket saying Dayz for Arma3 would still need many months of work?

Besides taking in account this is still early alpha, it's pretty normal to read accounts of bugs. People shouldn't get too attached to their characters, but since the mod is already so enjoyable, it's hard not to get stressed out at server outages and game bugs.

I have a confession about what happened in DayZ last night...

Broken/Irish laid me down on the hillside and rode me all the way down until we were upright.

NH Apache

Banned
I'd get it now if I was really interested... There's no knowing when Dayz will get out of beta or how it will be sold in the future. I think I also read Rocket saying Dayz for Arma3 would still need many months of work?

Besides taking in account this is still early alpha, it's pretty normal to read accounts of bugs. People shouldn't get too attached to their characters, but since the mod is already so enjoyable, it's hard not to get stressed out at server outages and game bugs.

Thanks, just bought. Going to install the mod a little later.

First thing to do: Invade NW airfield, right?

No, not really.

ZenVolta

Thanks, just bought. Going to install the mod a little later.

First thing to do: Invade NW airfield, right?

No, not really.

haha, if you dont have anything to lose why not? Spawning with nothing is kinda of nice. You have nothing to lose so there isnt anything to worry about.

Pro Tip: Keep moving. See a player? Run, zig zags are good. See a zombie? RUUUUN. Its easy to ditch zombies by running through a building(they walk inside). But once you get a gun and some food I would get out of town.

Good Luck

Sanic

i've read in the past that the developers were possibly looking into developing this into a full blown release and keeping what currently exists as an alpha or tests of sorts. I'd like to buy ARMA II, but only for DayZ, and only if they'll continue to support it for a reasonable amount of time going forward. What are the developers current plans?

DTKT

i've read in the past that the developers were possibly looking into developing this into a full blown release and keeping what currently exists as an alpha or tests of sorts. I'd like to buy ARMA II, but only for DayZ, and only if they'll continue to support it for a reasonable amount of time going forward. What are the developers current plans?

Current plans seem to be around a stand-alone release with a Minecraft like plan. Pay once and you get all the updates.

Though, he might discontinue the current version if he switches to ARMAIII

Sanic

Current plans seem to be around a stand-alone release with a Minecraft like plan. Pay once and you get all the updates.

Though, he might discontinue the current version if he switches to ARMAIII

So, in other words... we don't really know when/if he might discontinue the current AII version? I guess I just want to know how long ill have with this incarnation of DayZ to know if ill get my monies worth.

WedgeX

Banned
I made the mistake of updating again and now I can't join the server :(

Update it pleaseeeee

If you delete the beta folder and launch icon, and put a copy of your original launch icon back in you can just reinstall te slightly older patch and be just fine.

Top Bottom