• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

valeo

lastplayed said:
Not me. It hasn't downloaded anything in a while.

Strange. Googled and apparently it's a common problem - the first time you play it downloads 2.5 gb then when you next go to play it downloads 5.4gb of seemingly nothing

Very weird - goodbye internet usage, it was nice to know you :(

Foxix Von

Chriswok said:
Could be I need to update drivers, but the audio on this game seems really poor at times. Duel Pistols really seems to mess everything up as the sound fx loop clashes with itself constantly.

Yeah, there are some weird oddities. I know on the PS3 version if too much is going on sound will right stop. Also footsteps actually do have a sound! I got to the top of a building and with no other sounds around I was able to hear my steps, but as soon as I got back to ground level they stopped hah.

Jest

Has anybody created a league for Death & Glory yet? if not we should get on it, there's been a request on every last two pages haha.

Varna

FUCK. Every time I start this game I am greeted with my settings going back to default and my 360 pad not being detected. I have to go the save file in My Documents and tweak the settings file to get it to work again. Anyone having this issue?

Do I contact someone in game to get added to the Killing Joke villain league on PS3... if there is one? Or what do I do. Figuring out the social functions in the PS3 version seems a bit awkward coming off PC mmos

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Varna said:
FUCK. Every time I start this game I am greeted with my settings going back to default and my 360 pad not being detected. I have to go the save file in My Documents and tweak the settings file to get it to work again. Anyone having this issue?

My controls stay the same but my video setting change from high to normal everytime i start the game.. Where is the settings file, does that change it permanently or does it still reset everytime?

Fitz

Finally got around to uploading some shots with my new helmet style which I got from Oolong Island, I've been taking screenies of my Villain quite often as a kind of progression log but his current state is definitely my favourite.

244ctaa.jpg

ih1dhs.jpg

Epcott

Funny things in this game that get me every time:

1. It kills me everytime Harley does her "Kuckel-sammatch" rant while fighting her (though it wasn't funny when a prick had their mic on while fighting her, so while flying through the city all I would hear is "Freeeee knuckle sammmmaches", forcing me to permanently disable the voice chat).
  2. Martian Manhunter sounds like a black guy doing a Richard Nixon impression. Mid-way through talking, he changes to his familiar "stoic" tone.
  3. Speaking of voice actors/actresses... Wonder Woman sounds strangely like Storm from the old 90's X-Men cartoon. Her voice is more annoying than funny TBH.
  4. "The wrath of a hero... the wrath... the wrath (pow bang pow) The... The wrath of a hero..."

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
.GqueB. said:
How does returning this game work out of curiosity? Isnt the code that comes with the game only valid once?

It doesn't. You can't return opened MMOs on any platform.

TheExodu5

Banned
Is it easy to skill up multiple weapons? Not happy with my weapon selection, and am wondering if I should just restart (I'm level 8).

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
TheExodu5 said:
Is it easy to skill up multiple weapons? Not happy with my weapon selection, and am wondering if I should just restart (I'm level 8).
Most weapons opened up a lot more as your progress. I hated the bow at first, but it actually gets pretty versatile as you put more skill points into it.

You can respec at the Hall of Doom (Pit)/Watchtower (Aquaculture whatever the fuck they call it) for 500 bucks.

I wouldn't put skill points into more than two weapons though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well I took Martial Arts for my ice tank, because on the DCUO site it said it was the most defensive weapon. However, I found out that Brawling, Hand Blast, and Two Handers are all better tank weapons.

How do you learn to use a new weapon?

What's with the game rejecting so many League names? I've tried a few and it keeps saying invalid name. The last ones I tried was "Grizzly Assault Force" and "Grizzly Attack Force." I highly doubt all these random ass names I'm typing in have been taken already.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MisterAnderson said:
What's with the game rejecting so many League names? I've tried a few and it keeps saying invalid name. The last ones I tried was "Grizzly Assault Force" and "Grizzly Attack Force." I highly doubt all these random ass names I'm typing in have been taken already.
You can only have one space I believe and no special characters.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
TheExodu5 said:
Well I took Martial Arts for my ice tank, because on the DCUO site it said it was the most defensive weapon. However, I found out that Brawling, Hand Blast, and Two Handers are all better tank weapons.

You dont really like martial arts ? I like the amount of stuns and how quick it is to do those combos. I tried Brawling but i thought it was way to slow (same with hand blast, but that looked sweeeet). Is higher damage but slower output better?

Also to learn a new weapon you have to assign skill points to that weapon.

DY_nasty

TheExodu5 said:

At level 9 (or 10, can't remember) you get access to all skill branches regarding weapons. You can also respec at that point too.

You don't need to follow that stuff to the letter by the way. My healer uses a bow and gets the job done just fine. If you want to excel and already have a blueprint in mind though it makes sense.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
TheExodu5 said:
Not sure I'm happy with my decision of going PvP either...it's just a gankfest. Level 30s in starting areas. Great.

I know what you mean, but honestly I couldnt play on a PvE server just because I feel like PvP is a big part of the fun. Sure i get ganked but if that happens I just move on to a different quest since there is tons of different areas. I also always stick with other villians when im questing so if one of us gets attacked, ALL OF US GET THAT SOB. To me, nothing is more fun than doing a quest, seeing a Hero, and both of us go after each other. I have had some pretty awesome fights where I stop in my tracks and stare at the Hero and he does the same, then ALL OUT WAR! Loving this game far more than I ever imagined i would. haha

TheExodu5 said:
Not sure I'm happy with my decision of going PvP either...it's just a gankfest. Level 30s in starting areas. Great.

Yea I had same problem but just would go quest elsewhere and came back whenever the coast was clear, or when other players were around to help.

The game is heavy on the pvp if you're on a pvp server, you are never really separated from each other like you see in other MMO's that give each faction very far off and different play areas. Villains and heroes outside of instances share the city equally.

.GqueB. said:
Bow and Arrow all the way. I notice it doesnt get much love. Ive only come across one other bow and arrower.

I'm a bow user and it's bad ass.

I feel like it's a little underpowered, but I'm only level 10 right now.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
King of Custard said:
http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/buddykey/

Found this when I was looking for a trail key for a friend, just did a Google search, don't know if you already need a key or if it gives you one? As with everything concerning this game it doesn't give you enough information.
PC retail version and PS3 collectors both come with a PC buddy key that gives the person 10 days to try out the game. Looks like that site allows you to download the client to try out the game.

BattleMonkey said:
Do I contact someone in game to get added to the Killing Joke villain league on PS3... if there is one? Or what do I do. Figuring out the social functions in the PS3 version seems a bit awkward coming off PC mmos
Send me a tell (/t enchantress) and ill add you. I'll be online for the next hour or so.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Are you not supposed to be able to fly away from a fight? For some reason whenever I try to get away she moves really slow... and the animation is weird looking. Takes like 5 seconds before she will fly normal.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
recklessmind said:
Are you not supposed to be able to fly away from a fight? For some reason whenever I try to get away she moves really slow... and the animation is weird looking. Takes like 5 seconds before she will fly normal.

If you are attacked your motion slows, I think you eventually get a power to break out when attacked.

I have had several time trials ruined because an NPC on the trail decided to come after me

Killthee said:
PC retail version and PS3 collectors both come with a PC buddy key that gives the person 10 days to try out the game. Looks like that site allows you to download the client to try out the game.
Cool either way I know a few people were looking for the link so I thought I would post it.

Dreohboy

Secret Identities are coming too.

Better get your background stories ready folks.

In the eighth installment of a Facebook-based question-and-answer series with Game Director, Chris Cao and Creative Director, Jens Andersen, the pair all but confirmed that "DC Universe Online" will give players not just an uncommonly complex palette with which to build their superheroes, but also the option to create secret identities for those characters. Cao said the secret identity concept was a "key pillar" of the DC Universe, and added, "If someone was spending millions and millions of dollars making a game about DC heroes and villains, do you think they might also make a secret identity thing part of the game?"

YES!!!

Who would Daredevil be without Matt Murdock? Iron Man without Tony Stark? Superman without Clark Kent?

I'm excited. Dammit...I'd have got the lifetime subscription but I'm moving and don't have enough disposable income.

Dreohboy

Trin3785 said:
I know what you mean, but honestly I couldnt play on a PvE server just because I feel like PvP is a big part of the fun. Sure i get ganked but if that happens I just move on to a different quest since there is tons of different areas. I also always stick with other villians when im questing so if one of us gets attacked, ALL OF US GET THAT SOB. To me, nothing is more fun than doing a quest, seeing a Hero, and both of us go after each other. I have had some pretty awesome fights where I stop in my tracks and stare at the Hero and he does the same, then ALL OUT WAR! Loving this game far more than I ever imagined i would. haha

The PvE servers give you the option to turn your PvP function on and off. If you love PvP, keep it on. Everyone else that loves it can keep it on too and gank each other.

PLUS, the bonus is you can play alongside people that Don't want to get ganked by PvP.

PvE is the best of both worlds imho.

Cmagus

Id like them to change it when you get hit you take out your weapons that is kind of annoying.I don't like it when I am running somewhere and I get hit by a bullet to stop and go slower I dunno it bugs me.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Dreohboy said:
Secret Identities are coming too.

Better get your background stories ready folks.

YES!!!

Who would Daredevil be without Matt Murdock? Iron Man without Tony Stark? Superman without Clark Kent?

I'm excited. Dammit...I'd have got the lifetime subscription but I'm moving and don't have enough disposable income.

Pretty awesome right there! Van Damme has many alter ego's, Will it be Frank Dux or the LIONHEART Lyon Gaultier. hahaha

.GqueB. said:
Bow and Arrow all the way. I notice it doesnt get much love. Ive only come across one other bow and arrower.

no way, that thing rocks! My friend loves it when I make it rain arrows on him in duo when he's getting dogpiled.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Dreohboy said:
The PvE servers give you the option to turn your PvP function on and off. If you love PvP, keep it on. Everyone else that loves it can keep it on too and gank each other.

PLUS, the bonus is you can play alongside people that Don't want to get ganked by PvP.

Yeah, to me if i see 3 heros and one is PVP-d but the other arent, doesnt really seem like villians/heros would be. A villian would always try to kill a hero and a hero would always try to capture a villian, IMO at least. I play PvE on other MMO's but this game is awesome knowing that everyone is able to get their asses kicked. I definately see the benefits of choosing though!

TheExodu5 said:

I keep hearing this but have never seen it on Killing Joke. But in my eyes, with this type of game no amount of griefing can spoil the thrill of world PVP. Flying past a villain and not being able to take them down on a PVE server is pointless to me.

And Dreohboy, PVE flagging doesn't work that way in practicality. When you are flagged, you are just there for ganking, as people will only flag when they have an advantage over you. That's no World PVP in the let bit.

PVE is not the best of both worlds. It's not nearly in the same ballpark in reality.

TheExodu5

Banned
Another question. My Ice tank has abilities that add a "Chill Effect". When I get 5 'subsequent' Chill Effects, I turn into my ice form for a bit. Problem is...there's no counter for the stacks anywhere. It's also very unclear as to what subsequent means (is there a certain time limit for me to achieve subsequent stacks?).

TheExodu5 said:
Another question. My Ice tank has abilities that add a "Chill Effect". When I get 5 'subsequent' Chill Effects, I turn into my ice form for a bit. Problem is...there's no counter for the stacks anywhere. It's also very unclear as to what subsequent means (is there a certain time limit for me to achieve subsequent stacks?).

On PC - Press F3
On PS3 - Press 1 of the Dpad buttons, I forget which.

It will give you a window telling you what buffs/debuffs you currently have active on you, what they do and how long they last.

Nightz

ChronicleX said:
On PC - Press F3
On PS3 - Press 1 of the Dpad buttons, I forget which.

It will give you a window telling you what buffs/debuffs you currently have active on you, what they do and how long they last.
Up on the d-pad for the PS3.

DY_nasty

It warmed my heart to see the Villians of Killing Joke organizing lvl 30 patrols to protect the 4s and 5s today.
Cmagus said:
Id like them to change it when you get hit you take out your weapons that is kind of annoying.I don't like it when I am running somewhere and I get hit by a bullet to stop and go slower I dunno it bugs me.
It's necessary for a lot of reasons. :/

JWong

Banned
Dreohboy said:

Not really.

Everyone doing quests will have PvP off. You'll never have the same PvP experience as PvP servers. With PvP being really friendly to jump back in and travel times are really short, PvP is way better.

Nightz

All this talk is making me wish that I wasn't going out of town this weekend. :( I shall return Sunday evening! I've been getting requests to add stuff to the OP, so keep those coming even if I don't respond. I'll get to them when I get back.

DY_nasty

The ganking isn't a big deal at all... Like ANY PvP mmo, you're going to have to exercise some patience in certain areas.

Top Bottom