• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

valeo

Foxix said:
Eurogamer review is up!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-20-dc-universe-online-review?page=1 Haven't read through it yet but they scored it 6/10

I can't say I exactly agree with the number, that feels a little low even trying to be as objective as possible IMO. The game has a ludicrous fun factor for me though. Looking forward to reading their impressions.

EDIT: Also if anyone has trouble logging in tonight it's going down for maintenance in a bit.

6 is very harsh. It has a lot of flaws but it is still the funnest MMO I have ever played.

icechai

elwes said:
Anybody out there doing the One-Handed weapon style? I respec'ed today since that guide said that One-Handed was one of the best weapon styles to go with since you can get the most Might possible with that one plus Martial Arts, but I'm not really feeling it yet. I used to have Hand Blaster and absolutely destroyed. The sheer amount of moves that could incapacitate and knock down people with Hand Blaster was nice, but so far, the only move I have for one-handed that does something like this is the pop up maneuver. Plus, it feels so much weaker than hand blaster.

Any tips?

one-handed does feel a lot more limiting than every other weapon. Combo wise you only really have 1 stun, and the knockdown/knockup animations take so long that anyone will block it. So basically all I do is the stun/follow up hit, the 2 hit knee knock up, and finish off with flip slash (the 4 taps and hold on 5th hit). So yeah, 3 useful combos, supplement with powers. I don't play that character much anymore even though I started doing pretty good at lvl 16 sorcery tree.

My fave is bow, knock up, arrow storm, explosive shot, and 2 or 3 other combos are all very useful. Martial arts is also fun for the 2 major stuns, smoke bomb being aoe stun combo o_O. Brawling is just powerfully fun, every end hit has a follow up even bigger end hit after they get stunned/fly/fall. Also I like Dual Wield and Dual Pistols from what I've been playing in Legends.

Hand Blaster is a bit limited in moves as well, and not feeling Staff or Hammer based on playing Robin and Harley, although Hammer is probably a fun PVE with that Spin finisher (dual wield has something like it too though and is more fun). and I haven't tried Rifle but people seem to love the mortars.

err yeah that came out kinda long, general weapon tips :)

*eurogamer a 6? wtf? I'm glad a ton of people bought this and are playing because the game is just plain out fun. 8.5-9 for me personally..

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Rifle is gonna get nerfed hard...

Either that, or they'll have to send server-wide bulletins telling people that blocking against gunfire is pointless and Interrupts are your only hope - but watch out for the flame thrower and roll stun. And whatever you do, don't let the backflip touch you. And pray that they whoever you're charging suicidally didn't invest anything into melee attacks.

Rifles are gonna get nerfed so hard.

DY_nasty said:
Bows are gonna get nerfed so hard.

Fixed. Rifle users are rather easy. You just have to get in their face and dodge to the left/right to avoid the flamethrower before you punish them for missing.

kerrak

Foxix said:
Eurogamer review is up!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-20-dc-universe-online-review?page=1 Haven't read through it yet but they scored it 6/10

I can't say I exactly agree with the number, that feels a little low even trying to be as objective as possible IMO. The game has a ludicrous fun factor for me though. Looking forward to reading their impressions.

EDIT: Also if anyone has trouble logging in tonight it's going down for maintenance in a bit.

My tastes differ vastly from Eurogamer tastes.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
elwes said:
Anybody out there doing the One-Handed weapon style? I respec'ed today since that guide said that One-Handed was one of the best weapon styles to go with since you can get the most Might possible with that one plus Martial Arts, but I'm not really feeling it yet. I used to have Hand Blaster and absolutely destroyed. The sheer amount of moves that could incapacitate and knock down people with Hand Blaster was nice, but so far, the only move I have for one-handed that does something like this is the pop up maneuver. Plus, it feels so much weaker than hand blaster.

Any tips?

For starters, ignore that guide (or at least that portion of it)! People should not be picking weapons on the basis of stat bonuses. You should pick a weapon that makes sense for your class because eventually you will earn enough skill points to nab the stat bonuses in those weapon trees anyway. If you are a healer or controller choose a ranged weapon (bow, rifle, hand blaster), if you are a tank go melee (dual wield, two-handed, staff). Dual pistols, brawling, one handed, and martial arts are trash, IMO.

Sblargh

Banned
Baron Aloha said:
For starters, ignore that guide (or at least that portion of it)! People should not be picking weapons on the basis of stat bonuses. You should pick a weapon that makes sense for your class because eventually you will earn enough skill points to nab the stat bonuses in those weapon trees anyway. If you are a healer or controller choose a ranged weapon (bow, rifle, hand blaster), if you are a tank go melee (dual wield, two-handed, staff). Dual pistols, brawling, one handed, and martial arts are trash, IMO.

Are there really enough feats points so you can be safe that you'll be able to master a lot of weapons?

Sblargh said:
Are there really enough feats points so you can be safe that you'll be able to master a lot of weapons?

Think he means you can just Respec your character so they can use the weapon that will be most useful for the class.

kyo_daikun said:
Any level 30 people got any hints on what missions I should be doing?

The challenge missions (6), the Duo's (4) and the non T1 hard alerts (3). For Villains the Hard Alerts you should be doing are Ace Chemicals, Area 51 and Hall of Doom Armoury. Hard alerts give the best gear and are a must to get a good weapon (Hard mode boss drops are level 383). Its all about getting tokens so you can buy the T1 armour.

Rough guideline.

All level 30 stuff = Green gear
Challenge missions = Blue gear L1 // Epic L1 (as good as blue Gear L2 but with unique styles)
Duo content = Blue gear L2 // Epic L2 (same as a Blue L3)
Hard Alerts = Blue Gear L2 (from mobs) // Blue Gear L3 (From bosses) // Epic L3 (as good as the T1 Armour)

If you can get an epic weapon to drop from a boss in a hard alert (if there is 1) then you are laughing your way to endgame. The only epic weapons you can buy atm are for PVP and are only L1 Epics, a level 3 blue has 9.6 more dps (IE you MUST get one).

Fitz

Sblargh said:

Totally, I've currently got 3 weapon trees almost filled and I still have a LOT of feats left to do.

I've got 131/313 Feats done, so even if every Feat left gave 10 points, that'd still be 18 skill points left, but there are quite a few that give 25 or 50 points, so I guess you could potentially max out 5+ weapons.

hermit7

Killthee said:
Yeah, I'm done playing for the day, but I'll promote someone tomorrow. Preferably someone who will be on during nights so they can send out the invites I can't. Anyone interested?
I can do it I am fairly active in this thread and chat.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Sblargh said:

Well I have 41 skill points, iirc, and I've only completed a little more than half of the feats. Right now I have more than enough skill points to master my weapon of choice and to go down the skill trees of several other weapons I don't use and grab the stat bonuses from them. I use hand blasts and I was able to get every skill out of that tree that I wanted (I purposely avoided skills I know I wouldn't use), the stat bonuses from that tree, and the stat bonuses from 3-4 other weapon trees.

So yes, you will have more than enough points if you keep doing the feats.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
ChronicleX said:
If you can get an epic weapon to drop from a boss in a hard alert (if there is 1) then you are laughing your way to endgame. The only epic weapons you can buy atm are for PVP and are only L1 Epics, a level 3 blue has 9.6 more dps (IE you MUST get one).

I've gotten 2 different rifles from doing hard alerts. Both were boss drops and both have 78-something DPS. Is that as high as they go?

Nishastra

Banned
SpaceDrake said:
The score and impressions are faintly ridiculous. It isn't perfect but it's a damn sight better than a 6/10. The gameplay isn't just "grind grind grind", every goddamned motherfucking instance has at least one wholly unique boss encounter, even in solo content. What else are they supposed to do to make the content engaging? Have the controller give you a massage every time you level up?
Apparently, grinding is ever having to do anything similar to anything you've done before :p

Personally, I find this game to be legitimately fun to play. As in, I actually enjoy combat and travel. While I'm a big fan of MMOs, these two things tend to be fairly boring. Once I get used to the combat in most MMOs, I no longer need to devote my full attention to the game most of the time and can listen to podcasts or even watch TV while playing.

But that's not true here. It's all much more active. Basic combat is FUN. As such, even if the game were grindy, I'd still love it. I like fighting for the sake of fighting :p

Anyway, it's an MMO review. They're rarely helpful one way or another.

zulfate

I had a blast playing with lacramae and verdandi (sorry if I screwed up your name) thanks you guys so much!

I love the pvp server, I was trying to get to a quest so lacrimae and verdandi can help when all of a sudden a hero was flying across really fast, he stops and looks at me I decide to try and avoid him. Man it was so much fun climbing and diving and just overral trying to hide from him.

elwes

Thanks for the one-handed tips, guys.

I invested a good amount of time tonight and almost maxed out one-handed. To be honest, it's not that bad. I'm a fire tank and when you unlock some of the later skills, you can mow through NPC enemies with the right combination of powers. I am curious about respec'ing to dual-handed, though.

Does it cost more to respec every single time you do it? I screwed up the first time I did it and had to do it almost immediately afterwards and it was 150 gold more.

ChronicleX said:
The challenge missions (6), the Duo's (4) and the non T1 hard alerts (3). For Villains the Hard Alerts you should be doing are Ace Chemicals, Area 51 and Hall of Doom Armoury. Hard alerts give the best gear and are a must to get a good weapon (Hard mode boss drops are level 383). Its all about getting tokens so you can buy the T1 armour.

Rough guideline.

Challenge missions = Blue gear L1 // Epic L1 (as good as blue Gear L2 but with unique styles)
Hard Alerts = Blue Gear L2 (from mobs) // Blue Gear L3 (From bosses) // Epic L3 (as good as the T1 Armour)

Thanks for that, yeah i've been doing the challenge missions but keep getting weapons that I can't use, guess its just bad luck.

Edit: Also how do you get the influence points to buy the T1 Weapons? Not seen any mission types that give it as a reward.

Nishastra

Banned
elwes said:
Thanks for the one-handed tips, guys.

I invested a good amount of time tonight and almost maxed out one-handed. To be honest, it's not that bad. I'm a fire tank and when you unlock some of the later skills, you can mow through NPC enemies with the right combination of powers. I am curious about respec'ing to dual-handed, though.

Does it cost more to respec every single time you do it? I screwed up the first time I did it and had to do it almost immediately afterwards and it was 150 gold more.
I've heard that it resets every day. So if you wait, it'll go back to 500. I haven't respecced multiple times on any character myself yet, though...

Xamdou said:
I am doing the Riddler mission right now, how do you solve the three riddles he wants done?
First one i dont remember, i just killed everything, then
a boxy rectangular thing appeared on the wall opposite from which you entered the room, interact with it
, second one
you may or may not have to clear out all the boxes on top of the conveyor belt, then interact with the one box left, which is resting on the ground, leaning against the conveyor, then another boxy thingy appears on the wall, interact w/ it
, third one
look for a riddler wanted poster, interact with it, boxy thing etc
, and the last one you should be able to figure out.

elwes

Nishastra said:
I've heard that it resets every day. So if you wait, it'll go back to 500. I haven't respecced multiple times on any character myself yet, though...

That's good to know. I was worrying that I'd be paying thousands by the time I hit 30...

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Xamdou said:
I am doing the Riddler mission right now, how do you solve the three riddles he wants done?
Open up your Journal and activate the mission. Then just follow the yellow arrow to the investigations.
Foxix said:
Heyo! Actually I would be. I usually stay up til around 1 or 2 o'clock PST. This is penumbra BTW, and I'd gladly cover the night shift!
hermit7 said:
I can do it I am fairly active in this thread and chat.
I'll promote both of you today, I just need your villain name hermit7. I'm terrible at remembering who's who......

Ferny

You know at first I didnt enjoy the game as much as I thought I would but after getting into some PVP and later missions, it has really become a good time. Ive heard great things about lvl 30 content so I am anxious to get into the end game content.

Sanjuro

Mercury Fred said:
Hey PS3 players, I'll be back over the weekend. Had a busy week and haven't really been able to play. Looking forward to it!
Don't bother. We are over you. You have been replaced by Captain Boomerang.

hermit7

Killthee said:
Open up your Journal and activate the mission. Then just follow the yellow arrow to the investigations.

I'll promote both of you today, I just need your villain name hermit7. I'm terrible at remembering who's who......
My villain is verdandi.

My wife bought dcuo for me yesterday.
I played a lot of Champions Online (and don't really understand all the hate for it) and feared it would be too similar.
Luckily the games are nothing alike.

Played up to lvl 6 yesterday, and at this point these are my humble opinions compared to CO (I play the ps3 version).

1/ after being used too CO's character creator, DCUO feels rather limited.

2/ I like the graphics in both, DCOU feels a bit more gritty, while CO had a more comic-like style.

3/ I play a nature char and at the moment his special moves seem rather ugly animated. Thorn shield for example isn't the worlds coolest special effect animation.

4/ Combat is much better than CO's. CO worked with energy builders and special moves which cost energy. The trick was getting your build set up with enough energy regen to start the battle with a nice opener, then switching to your standard energy builder attack (toggle to activate) and then swith to other super moves as your energy replenished. DCUO has much more diversity in it's fighting system, block, roll, combo's etc... A nice combat system.

That's about it for first impressions,
I do feel like CO made you feel more powerfull than DCUO does, but DCUO trumps CO in the general combat department...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ChronicleX said:

Rough guideline.

thanks I needed to know this as well.

SuperSonic1305 said:
What do I do with extra collectibles? Are they for trading?

Give them to other characters on your account through the shared bank, otherwise delete them if your character has already collected them.

No45

The DCUO Skill Calculator is coming along. :)

Created a new character on Crossfire (EU PS3 PVP) earlier, Mercurius. Fire/Brawling/Flight. Ganked once as I went in to rescue Zatanna, but that's it so far.

TheExodu5 said:
How do you change loadouts?
You can assign per role (up on the d-pad allows you to pick a role, and a custom loadout I think), you can create the custom loadouts in the (I think) powers/skills menu.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm not an MMO fan but I bought this anyway... sitting at lvl 8 atm.

Game is pretty fun, but there are boring stretches when going solo. Difficulty is kind of uneven and hard to predict. Some missions you can do it so easy and then others you'll get completely swarmed and it feels like you should be 3 levels higher to complete them.

The game feels pretty janky. There are a lot of bugs/issues that need to be addressed... in certain situations basic things like targeting enemies, the camera, and character movement can be really wonky and cumbersome. For instance, I have a flying character with hand blasters and whenever I attack, she will hold her pose for like 3 seconds before I can fly away at speed. I'm not talking about getting hit by an enemy... just flying around, you can't shoot the hand blaster and promptly fly away. There's like an awkward three or so seconds where she's in a kind of frozen pose and moves really slow. Eventually you'll be able to fly, but it's pretty weird. I don't like it.

I think this game is a little too ambitious for the PS3. Major menu lag, jittery gameplay in general, shit framerate. I regret not going the PC route but I really wanted to try a console MMO. Overall I think it works pretty decently on the gamepad but I find the social aspect of it really cumbersome and confusing.

That's another thing... this game is confusing as fuck. They don't explain much, even quite basic stuff sometimes, so you have to figure a lot of it out yourself. I'm fine with no hand holding, but I have a feeling I'm missing things all over the place.

But it's still fun. Even solo on PvE. Can't really ask for too much more than that I guess.

Gamebreaking bug. Very important for everyone who is level 30 to read this.

The blue orb investigations from the hard alerts that reward currency (Marks of Triumph / distinction) will REDUCE AND FREEZE YOUR MARKS TO 1. Do not do these investigations until they fix it or your endgame experience shall be ruined (like mine currently is).

theta11

ok, got 2 characters to 30 so now i can post my impressions. first up the game is alot of fun, the combat and the movement all works well, it definately needs some adjustment for pvp regarding control effects since if you are fighting more than one person usually you get stun locked and blown up in about 3 seconds at level 30. iconic powers also needs a rework, some are too good and some are absolutley terrible XD (im looking at you SHAZAM >_>).

content:
duos are really easy and award marks for the t1 stuff. they really need to adjust thier direction with them at the moment it only makes sense to do them once a day because after they are completed once you no longer get marks OR loot so that really kills them, i started one of the challenges, they are basically level 30 versions of the quests you would have done while leveling and aren't too hard mostly. the level 30 alerts are crazy hard some even require t1 stuff which to me doesn't make sense because after you are in tier 1 theres no point in doing alerts so they need to adjust the difficulty on those harder ones or increase the rewards to t2. basically theres no reason to do anything more than once unless you are trying to farm for that random green which to me is pretty lame. they disabled all those things to try to keep you coming back every day but to me it does more harm than good. the achievement system is pretty cool, as you complete achievements you can earn skill points which is a nice reward for the achievement chasers out there.

the bad:
everything regard the ui. its slow to load, sometimes stuff doesn't work, confusing and just all around terrible, bu my heart bleeds whenever i have to press the start button which coincidentally happens to be all the time due to all the bugs. ill post the bugs i've experienced, when you are moving quickly or moving to an area and the textures haven't loaded you can fall through the floor and it sucks because after you fall through the floor usually then loads and solidifies and you are stuck underground and you'll have to use the warp hq and heaven help you if its on cooldown XD. switching a weapon by will disable your weapon, i usually have to switch 2 times to get the weapon equipped and since its done in the menu there is more heart bleeding. bosses have a tendency to reset for weird reasons. had the braniac bosses reset from 1%hp cause someone flew to dodge his attack, this happened on 2 different bosses in area 51. had scarecrow reset because no one was within range of him when he transitioned to a new phase which is funny cause the phase before you needed to stay far and kite him a bit =_=. generally enemies can reset too easily.

the very bad:
ps3 freezing. this has been an issue since the beta and even though it's not as bad it is still there. before this game my ps3 had only ever frozen once, im easily at 30+ freezes including the beta which is worrying since the game primarly plays by accessing the hdd. my guess though is that it is a ram issue as ive always frozen while doing something, opening the menu,moving to a new area, using a move, never while idling. next up communication, mmos are mostly social games the ingame chat is so bad people would send me whispers asking me for help and i wouldn't respond simply because it was too much of a hassle to reply. this is made worse by the horrible ui. voice chat works depending on the moon cycle which is a main reason why alot of the alerts turn out to be so hard, because people can't communicate and coordinate.

I am starting to like my collection of costume styles. Necromancer gear goes really well with my T1 Armour parts =)

ivib9z.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Looks like tomorrow's server maintenance will patch a couple of server bugs.

Raijinn said:
* General: Addressed an issue that caused some PS3 players to hang or disconnect in the tutorial.
* General: Improved Client performance and stability.
* General: Addressed an issue when using software overclocking where other characters would appear to warp onscreen.
* General: The time it takes to get to character selection on launch has been reduced.

* Audio: Audio should no longer drop after cutscenes if you have your Music volume set to 0.

* Chat: The player’s voice chat channel should now be selected according to the following priority, from highest to lowest: Alert->Group->Custom->League.

* Player Appearance: Equipping a new weapon should no longer cause your weapon appearance to disappear.
* Player Appearance: Swapping weapons with your weapon style locked should no longer cause the weapon appearance to change.

* Movement: Player character animations should no longer have the chance of getting stuck when weaponizing objects.

* Quests: Adjusted difficulty of content in the Venom Lab to level 7 to better match the surrounding content.
* Quests: No Joke quest is now available at level 18 instead of 19.
* Quests: A Crook’s Best Friend quest is now available at level 18 instead of 19.
* Quests: Something’s Fishy… quest is now available at level 22 instead of 23.
* Quests: Road to Hell quest is now available at level 22 instead of 23.
* Quests: Fateful Omen quest is now available at level 26 instead of 27.
* Quests: Hardcorps quest is now available at level 26 instead of 27.

* UI: Pressing the "Accept" button on the Server Selection screen multiple times should no longer result in odd issues with Character Creation movies and UI.

Renown you get from PVP is awarded automatically or you have to "loot" a hero who is down? I still don't really understand what the point of going up to someone you beat in pvp and pressing 'O' does. Does that collect renown or is it just supposed to stop them from being healed or something?

theta11

BattleMonkey said:
Renown you get from PVP is awarded automatically or you have to "loot" a hero who is down? I still don't really understand what the point of going up to someone you beat in pvp and pressing 'O' does. Does that collect renown or is it just supposed to stop them from being healed or something?

it sends them back to the respawn point. that way they can't be resurrected by another enemy. the mechanic doesn't make much sense in pvp since most is small scale and not many people are gonna stand there and let someone resurrect. also you come back to life with like 10%hp and you can be hit while doing the getting up animation.

Leunam

* Movement: Player character animations should no longer have the chance of getting stuck when weaponizing objects.

Was hit by this bug yesterday while lifting a barrel.

I've also been hit by another bug common in RPGs for me. I'm always itching to make new characters to try out the character creation mode and it always prevents me from moving forward on my current character. :I

Improving load times is also helpful, it does take a long time to boot up the game. Hope they can continually improve the load times of the game as it's my only major beef with it, especially the UI load/lag

Nishastra

Banned
Leunam said:
I've also been hit by another bug common in RPGs for me. I'm always itching to make new characters to try out the character creation mode and it always prevents me from moving forward on my current character. :I
This is my problem. Having 16 character slots doesn't help, either :p

Top Bottom