• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

I've never been a PvP MMO player, but after reading some of the comments here I really felt like it was an experience I had to try out, and here's how it went:

Created a hero in Gotham, left the police station and went straight up to the top of the construction site to do my first quest. Got ganked within 3 seconds, and I didn't even see who it was who killed me.

OK, lesson learnt; don't start at the top. I respawned and continuted my quest inside the building where I was a little less exposed. I managed to finish it with no more ganking, but on the way back I see a 30 villain who was caught by a group of lower level heroes and I decided to join the fun and started beating down on him with my level 4 character.

I ended up getting knocked out, but after respawning I earned the "Not so fast" feat which said something about taking out a PvP player while in movement mode.

Now I'm hooked. :D

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
lastplayed said:
I've never been a PvP MMO player, but after reading some of the comments here I really felt like it was an experience I had to try out, and here's how it went:

Created a hero in Gotham, left the police station and went straight up to the top of the construction site to do my first quest. Got ganked within 3 seconds, and I didn't even see who it was who killed me.

OK, lesson learnt; don't start at the top. I respawned and continuted my quest inside the building where I was a little less exposed. I managed to finish it with no more ganking, but on the way back I see a 30 villain who was caught by a group of lower level heroes and I decided to join the fun and started beating down on him with my level 4 character.

I ended up getting knocked out, but after respawning I earned the "Not so fast" feat which said something about taking out a PvP player while in movement mode.

Now I'm hooked. :D
The pros of PvP definitely outweigh the cons.

Just wait until you get your feet underneath you.

Also, blocking/rolling is what separates the men from the boys in PvP.

And the best thing is, because I'm in NZ, most Americans are asleep when I'm on late at night, making it easier to travel around.

Like sightseeing for example, I love all the little touches:

2575-mgot101_skybox-pc-21-00.24.500.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sorry I couldn't stick around for the end of the alert guys. My connection started crapping out on me and I had to go.

Dreohboy

JWong said:
Not really.

Everyone doing quests will have PvP off. You'll never have the same PvP experience as PvP servers. With PvP being really friendly to jump back in and travel times are really short, PvP is way better.

You guys may be right, but if you ever make it to VandV, I always quest with PvP on. Always.

Too late to switch now.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Wow, 2 players on my team for pvp legends rage quit. Needless to say we got stomped pretty hard. Maybe console peeps should realize that you get a consolation token and rep out of the whole thing and your k/d doesn't mean jack.

Really enjoying playing as Huntress though!

Nishastra

Banned
Did my first arena match... We got crushed. I'm not sure I ever saw half of my team actually do anything :p

Also did Area 51. It was great except for the part where you have to protect 6 munitions guys, since they all take so long. If I had realized sooner that they're in very little danger I would have set off more of them at once, but eh...

Edit: Whew. Just did a Legends match. For the first time ever, the enemy had a player who actually knew what they were doing. He properly blocked and countered my moves, so I couldn't just smash him with impunity. Had to step up my game a bit. His friends were still easily smashed, however :p

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Woo! Got the feat Legendary Winning Streak! Win 10 Legendary Matches in a row!
50 points!

Wait, that's not right. I got my butt kicked 2 matches ago. Maybe they don't count when people drop? *wishful thinking*

Big Chungus

Did they remove a fourth body type from the game?

I'm talking about the short fat body type, you can see a player hero on the back of the game case and a few NPCs around town.

EekTheKat

Question about mechanics - is it true that regular attacks cause no threat, and only special abilities/powers do? Tank abilities are basically given a higher threat multiplier on their special abilities?

This would sort of fall in line as to why my Controller would pull threat sometimes. Granted it could be tha the tank just didn't know how to tank yet.

Did my first Ace Chemical run last night - group had no idea what they're doing. Overall it was pretty easy although we did run into a slight problem with the
Arkham Asylum style buffed up mutant superclown boss

The last boss was hilarious though - 15 minutes of pure madness since our tank DC'd and we had no idea what to expect. The boss couldn't kill us and we couldn't kill him being down a man, it went back and forth quite a bit until the DC'd tank came back.

Once we figured out the pattern though it was really easy.

I respecced my Controller + streamlined things a bit, and now I'm just totally blowing through the Duo queues - the 4 man's are still a WIP though.

I mentioned it earlier but, I'm really liking this Controller "class" Had an awesome moment where my duo partner was knocked out, I then locked the loose mobs down with stuns, strolled over to my fallen partner and revived him before the stun timer wore off.

My Healer feels so helpless compared to my Controller. I could just do so much more as a Controller than a Healer.

My action bar typically looks like 4 special abilities and 2 survival abilities. As much as I hate to give up some class specific special abilities sometimes the survival stuff overall has made my life expectancy quite a bit longer. Being able to pop a survival cooldown while
the super buff mutant clown grabs you and twirls you around like a helicopter
made that fight a lot less painful.

Nishastra

Banned
I'm loving my Fire character. Not so much for tanking ability (though being better at staying alive isn't something I'll complain about), but just because if I go all out with my Immolation AoE abilities, everything near me dies quite quickly :p

I need to find a Controller I like. Controller is usually the kind of character I like to play, but I haven't stuck with one yet.

valeo

Going with a Fire/Staff/Flier to start with - Immolation seems to work well with Flashpoint but not sure how useful it'll be for PvP - i'm thinking meteor is probably better? Maybe enflame too?

Haven't decided on what path to take for my Staff skills either..

I always do this in RPG games. Save up all my points for no reason.

DY_nasty

Edit: You should be fine, just make sure that you're using your fire to heal yourself more than as a primary way of doing damage. Know your combos. Block. Most people in PvP servers are just mashing. Hold down block, laugh as they fall on their face, then light them up with everything you have - in the appropriate order. In the unlikely event that you actually do run into someone who knows what they're doing, enjoy yourself. Good PvP fights are where its at.

If you're a flier, just a heads up... Its not like PvE where the occasional goon will slow you down with random gunfire. Guys will snatch your ass out the sky if they can. Trying to escape a fight by flying away is usually the best way to get bodied.
EekTheKat said:
Question about mechanics - is it true that regular attacks cause no threat, and only special abilities/powers do? Tank abilities are basically given a higher threat multiplier on their special abilities?

This would sort of fall in line as to why my Controller would pull threat sometimes. Granted it could be tha the tank just didn't know how to tank yet.

Did my first Ace Chemical run last night - group had no idea what they're doing. Overall it was pretty easy although we did run into a slight problem with the
Arkham Asylum style buffed up mutant superclown boss

The last boss was hilarious though - 15 minutes of pure madness since our tank DC'd and we had no idea what to expect. The boss couldn't kill us and we couldn't kill him being down a man, it went back and forth quite a bit until the DC'd tank came back.

Once we figured out the pattern though it was really easy.

I respecced my Controller + streamlined things a bit, and now I'm just totally blowing through the Duo queues - the 4 man's are still a WIP though.

I mentioned it earlier but, I'm really liking this Controller "class" Had an awesome moment where my duo partner was knocked out, I then locked the loose mobs down with stuns, strolled over to my fallen partner and revived him before the stun timer wore off.

My Healer feels so helpless compared to my Controller. I could just do so much more as a Controller than a Healer.

My action bar typically looks like 4 special abilities and 2 survival abilities. As much as I hate to give up some class specific special abilities sometimes the survival stuff overall has made my life expectancy quite a bit longer. Being able to pop a survival cooldown while
the super buff mutant clown grabs you and twirls you around like a helicopter
made that fight a lot less painful.
I don't think regular attacks are useless. Against the bigger bosses, yeah, you may not want to run up and melee, but against mobs, other players, and enemies relatively close to your size they're almost as important as your special attacks. Gotta get that power back and hit counter up.

About healers... I think they could use a general buff in the future. A good controller seems to be a lot more useful and helpful than a good healer. Controllers boost power for one - and sometimes thats all a group needs. Plenty of builds can regain their own health just fine as long as they have steady power coming in. Crowd control makes life easier for everyone too. It'd be different if healers could add defensive buffs or something, but Controllers can regen power, lockdown a group, and occasionally defend everyone completely.

I'm on the same setup as far as skillbar setup goes. 4 for offense, 1 survival, 1 super.
Nishastra said:
I'm loving my Fire character. Not so much for tanking ability (though being better at staying alive isn't something I'll complain about), but just because if I go all out with my Immolation AoE abilities, everything near me dies quite quickly :p

I need to find a Controller I like. Controller is usually the kind of character I like to play, but I haven't stuck with one yet.
My biggest mistake so far in DCU was sleeping on the Illusions skill tree. I remember one of my first characters was mental and I had looked at the description of Disguise and said "wtfisthisshit?" then went to Telekinesis (which isn't bad at all, I loved that branch too). But upon experimenting with it again with my new character lately, Disguise still blows for the most part, but the Terror/Stun skills are game changing. I can stroll into a mob with my rifle and waltz. I can generally patrol heavy PvP areas without too much fear. Anyone that I run into is getting shutdown for a while so that my Villain bros come swoop in and stomp a mudhole in that ass. Its beastly in PvP even alone because most who are looking for fights aren't taking into account the effects or importance of Dominance.

Anyone else having trouble figuring out how to use stealth from the gadgets tree? I got it but I can't even seem to activate it...it's like got it's own loadout but I can't switch to it. :(

EekTheKat

DY_nasty said:
I don't think regular attacks are useless. Against the bigger bosses, yeah, you may not want to run up and melee, but against mobs, other players, and enemies relatively close to your size they're almost as important as your special attacks. Gotta get that power back and hit counter up.

Sorry - I meant no threat as in no buildup of threat on the target before it turns around and smashes you. If normal attacks build no threat, in theory a well geared DPS'er can just use normal attacks and combos(?) without ever pulling aggro off of a tank.

Friend told me controllers have threat issues at the moment, which is why I'm pulling aggro so much off the tank. It could be an issue of me going nuts spamming special abilities on the boss before he could do anything.

EekTheKat

MadraptorMan said:
Anyone else having trouble figuring out how to use stealth from the gadgets tree? I got it but I can't even seem to activate it...it's like got it's own loadout but I can't switch to it. :(

Are you using Stealth or smoke bomb? The stealth loadout appears automatically for me when I enter stealth mode.

Smoke bomb is just a get out of jail card incase too many things want to smash you. Whenever it decides to work that is. Sometimes a late projectile hitting you will break smoke bomb early I think.

DY_nasty

EekTheKat said:
Sorry - I meant no threat as in no buildup of threat on the target before it turns around and smashes you. If normal attacks build no threat, in theory a well geared DPS'er can just use normal attacks and combos without ever pulling aggro off of a tank.

Friend told me controllers have threat issues at the moment, which is why I'm pulling aggro so much off the tank. It could be an issue of me going nuts spamming special abilities on the boss before he could do anything.
OH

Gotcha. Not sure what threat priority is but normal attacks definitely carry threat value... At one point, while I was dicking around in Amusement Mile, I thought it was determined by damage dealt. Could be dead wrong though.

OT: It was funny as hell seeing Heroes and Villains unite to kill Bizzaro earlier today

EekTheKat said:
Are you using Stealth or smoke bomb? The stealth loadout appears automatically for me when I enter stealth mode.

Smoke bomb is just a get out of jail card incase too many things want to smash you. Whenever it decides to work that is. Sometimes a late projectile hitting you will break smoke bomb early I think.
So I have to use up a slot to use stealth stuff? No way to switch to a "stealth stance"?

Man this game needs more move slots! I hate investing in stuff I never use.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Just rolled a new Villain on Killing Joke. Finished a mission; got ganked shortly thereafter :p Any gaffers on for League invite?

hermit7

RiccochetJ said:
Just rolled a new Villain on Killing Joke. Finished a mission; got ganked shortly thereafter :p Any gaffers on for League invite?
I just got off. I think killthee needs to promote some people so that they can accept people into the league.

I think he is the only person that cab at the moment.

Killthee

hermit7 said:
I just got off. I think killthee needs to promote some people so that they can accept people into the league.

I think he is the only person that cab at the moment.
Yeah, I'm done playing for the day, but I'll promote someone tomorrow. Preferably someone who will be on during nights so they can send out the invites I can't. Anyone interested?

Nishastra

Banned
I like when there's random traffic accidents. I was standing on the sidewalk picking a new power when suddenly two cars collided on the street in front of me. One of them flipped over and blew up.

It's easy to incite this kind of thing, too. If you whack a car, they'll go all GTA and drive like imbeciles until they inevitably crash and explode.

elwes

Anybody out there doing the One-Handed weapon style? I respec'ed today since that guide said that One-Handed was one of the best weapon styles to go with since you can get the most Might possible with that one plus Martial Arts, but I'm not really feeling it yet. I used to have Hand Blaster and absolutely destroyed. The sheer amount of moves that could incapacitate and knock down people with Hand Blaster was nice, but so far, the only move I have for one-handed that does something like this is the pop up maneuver. Plus, it feels so much weaker than hand blaster.

Any tips?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
K, I'll pay attention to this thread in the morning so I know who to whisper. I have a hero stalking me at the moment... Apparently he didn't like the fact that I made him drink a health pot and I'm level 5 :p. Took a long time though. Condemn is a hell of a power. NPC's beating on him probably annoyed him too.

Killthee

RiccochetJ said:
K, I'll pay attention to this thread in the morning so I know who to whisper. I have a hero stalking me at the moment... Apparently he didn't like the fact that I made him drink a health pot and I'm level 5 :p. Took a long time though. Condemn is a hell of a power. NPC's beating on him probably annoyed him too.
Character name is Enchantress. Add me to your in game friend list and throw me a tell when you see me pop up tomorrow.

DY_nasty

elwes said:
Anybody out there doing the One-Handed weapon style? I respec'ed today since that guide said that One-Handed was one of the best weapon styles to go with since you can get the most Might possible with that one plus Martial Arts, but I'm not really feeling it yet. I used to have Hand Blaster and absolutely destroyed. The sheer amount of moves that could incapacitate and knock down people with Hand Blaster was nice, but so far, the only move I have for one-handed that does something like this is the pop up maneuver. Plus, it feels so much weaker than hand blaster.

Any tips?
What level are you? Most of the weapons don't really shine until you're 3/4 done with the skill tree. I used to think staffs and bows were hot garbage but they don't 'get good' until later on.

I always pull hate also and it seems like whatever boss we're fighting likes to one shot me. Sometimes it works out though if someones dying and I do that and rollspam.

Foxix Von

Killthee said:
Yeah, I'm done playing for the day, but I'll promote someone tomorrow. Preferably someone who will be on during nights so they can send out the invites I can't. Anyone interested?
Heyo! Actually I would be. I usually stay up til around 1 or 2 o'clock PST. This is penumbra BTW, and I'd gladly cover the night shift!

elwes said:

Any tips?

Give it time, some of the later combos are brutal, although my only complaint with the weapon style is that there's practically no reason to ever use triangle - it's all tap square x4, hold square, etc.

I re-speced my character yesterday after getting my ass handed to me in PVP - instead of concentrating on flashy moves, I picked every innate status ability I could, stun resistance, ground and knockback resistance, etc, then bought some of the more powerful damage abilities in as few moves through the skill tree as possible - now my character has an awesome area affect spell that increases damage by 60%, so I can just cast that before jumping in and laying waste with my one-handed weapon style combos. Tried my hand at the ring war PVP event afterwards and did far better than I ever have previously, really happy with how my character turned out now.

FredFish

Dead said:
God damn, this game is fucking awesome/addictive

Yeah but I don't want to hype it up until they fix some of the issues...notably mic chat.

Everyone should at least try the PvP servers. Yeah there's ganking to suffer from but join the league and team up to get through missions. It can be a real blast to protect your league lowbies from predators

edit: hey Foxix...Lacrimae is my toon. good times tonight :D which gaffer is Xod?

d0c_zaius

FredFish said:
Yeah but I don't want to hype it up until they fix some of the issues...notably mic chat.

Everyone should at least try the PvP servers. Yeah there's ganking to suffer from but join the league and team up to get through missions. It can be a real blast to protect your league lowbies from predators

edit: hey Foxix...Lacrimae is my toon. good times tonight :D which gaffer is Xod?

That would be me :).

Thanks again for the help. I was kinda sad that when we got there some of the heros had left, but that Wonder Girl quest was fun and I got crazy loots!

FredFish

d0c_zaius said:
That would be me :).

Thanks again for the help. I was kinda sad that when we got there some of the heros had left, but that Wonder Girl quest was fun and I got crazy loots!

/highfive. Glad to help. There were enough heroes around to keep things interesting while we cleaned your mission out. I actually got a usable Staff drop from that Wondergirl mission so fun AND profit was had :p

No45

Fistwell said:
Edit: No45, get your butt online.
The chances of me ever being online to actually play at 18:00 are ZERO. If you see me online at that time I'll usually be doing something with my kids (was showing them the character creation last night). :(

I think I might start a character or two on Crossfire this weekend. I usually steer well clear of PvP, but this being action based I'm wondering if I'll enjoy it more.

No45 said:
The chances of me ever being online to actually play at 18:00 are ZERO. If you see me online at that time I'll usually be doing something with my kids (was showing them the character creation last night). :(

I think I might start a character or two on Crossfire this weekend. I usually steer well clear of PvP, but this being action based I'm wondering if I'll enjoy it more.
Ok cool. I've been tempted to dip my toes in the pvp pool as well. But i probably won't do it before next week. I wanna try and get my current dude close(r) to 30 this weekend. Man i really wish there were more euro-gafs playing this.

Foxix Von

Eurogamer review is up!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-20-dc-universe-online-review?page=1 Haven't read through it yet but they scored it 6/10

I can't say I exactly agree with the number, that feels a little low even trying to be as objective as possible IMO. The game has a ludicrous fun factor for me though. Looking forward to reading their impressions.

EDIT: Also if anyone has trouble logging in tonight it's going down for maintenance in a bit.
The US servers will be locked at 03:30 PST and brought offline at 04:00 PST for server maintenance. Downtime is anticipated to be one hour and the servers should be available at 05:00 PST.

Foxix said:
Eurogamer review is up!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-20-dc-universe-online-review?page=1 Haven't read through it yet but they scored it 6/10

The score and impressions are faintly ridiculous. It isn't perfect but it's a damn sight better than a 6/10. The gameplay isn't just "grind grind grind", every goddamned motherfucking instance has at least one wholly unique boss encounter, even in solo content. What else are they supposed to do to make the content engaging? Have the controller give you a massage every time you level up?

Top Bottom