• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 announced for PS4/Xbox1

RyudBoy

It seems like they're increasing the res while adding some effects, but I mean, yeah. It's a remaster of a two year old game. Not sure why people are projecting expectations on to this like it's DOA6.

I'm glad it's happening at all. DOA5 is one of the only reasons I still use my PS3. Now that they're porting this and Persona 5 is cross-gen (praise YHVH), the systems days are numbered for me for certain.

Well, after seeing remastered games such as Metro Redux and Halo MCC, I'm starting to expect a lot more from developers.

I never said I expect it to be DOA6, but I'm hoping they'll add a few new stages while perhaps upgrade the existing ones a bit. They could give us more costumes, and not just the DLC stuff from last gen. You know they could give us that, but instead, they'll release them as more DLC because they know people are suckers for it. At least one new character (even from VF, I don't care) would be a worthy addition.

And when you say they'll add some effects, I don't want subtle changes. I want to see better lighting, more particle effects, and perhaps some more background detail and interactivity. The game should look like it could pass for a next gen game if they want my money, but if you're content with a slight increase in titty jiggle, then that's cool.

Squire

Banned
Well, after seeing remastered games such as Metro Redux and Halo MCC, I'm starting to expect a lot more from developers.

I never said I expect it to be DOA6, but I'm hoping they'll add a few new stages while perhaps upgrade the existing ones a bit. They could give us more costumes, and not just the DLC stuff from last gen. You know they could give us that, but instead, they'll release them as more DLC because they know people are suckers for it. At least one new character (even from VF, I don't care) would be a worthy addition.

And when you say they'll add some effects, I don't want subtle changes. I want to see better lighting, more particle effects, and perhaps some more background detail and interactivity. The game should look like it could pass for a next gen game if they want my money, but if you're content with a slight increase in titty jiggle, then that's cool.

They already added brand new costumes to Ultinate that weren't DLC previously.

You know a lot about what they will and won't do with this version of the game, despite them contradicting you already with previous behavior.

It's $40. Disabuse from your mind the notion that this will have anything more than the resolution bump and added sparks that the trailer shows.

That effort would be better spent on the inevitable true sequel anyway. I want ridiculous scale from next-gen DOA stages, and no amount of shining up DOA5 will get you to a level that "could pass for a next gen game" really.

Hey DOA6: let me fight here, and with this level of graphical fidelity:

1395456567_4.jpg

Skilletor

You mean like how they added characters and stages and outfits to DoA5U?

Why are we assuming this will be different? We've already seen at least two new stages for Last round.

And no, I don't expect a port of an update of a 2 year old game to pass for current. I'm cool with the bump in resolution and whatever other effects they add. Don't know why you're being such an ass about people who are happy with more stages, outfits, better image quality, probably a character or two, and the features that come with a current gen port. Let's ignore all that to insult people for "an increase in titty jiggle" just because it doesn't meet your standard for a port.

Griss

There's nothing like naming your lobby 'Casual / Just 4 Fun' to get it to fill up fast, lol. Had about 25 games online last night, brilliant fun. Was getting the crap kicked out of me by a really talented Momiji, then I switched to Hitomi and took a couple of her. Then everyone switched to random and it was a total crapshoot, which is the way I like it, lol.

As for this port, it's just the AA that I'm concerned about. Surely they have enough resources to add that? Anything after that, new stages or whatever is bonus.

I was never as down on the DoA5 stages as others were, though. I liked most of them. It was just that awful jungle stage that let the side down, that one truly was hideous. The war/helicopter level is absolutely fantastic, scramble is great fun, the river raft is great fun, 'Home', the temple and the circus are all pretty cool.

I suppose there were too many dull / underwhelming levels like the ice level, and the multiple bland fighting rings, but overall I wasn't too unhappy. The idea of 5 was to move the focus to the fighters rather than the environments and as far as I'm concerned it was the right call.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm wondering if there will be a way to transfer your save data cross-gen (like going from PS3 DOA5U to PS4 DOA5LR)

Subaru

I hate three problemas with DoA 5:

1) terrible songs (fixed in DoA 5 Plus/Ultimate/whatever);
2) lame stages. I love stages in DoA and in Smash Bros. series, for me it's part of the experience, and I think that most DoA 5 stages are boring.
3) I've bought the first DoA 5 version day one, and they released other versions and didn't let me upgrade. I think this is an absurd nowadays, even Capcom seems to have learned this.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I guess expecting re-rendering of backround assets is too much to ask :l

Still will buy though to get rid of my ps3 copy

With all the money i've pumped into this game, DOA6 better melt my effing brain though. Subsurface scattering, high resolution textures, good AA, better stages, even higher fidelity models, the works.

Ninja Dom

I hate three problemas with DoA 5:

3) I've bought the first DoA 5 version day one, and they released other versions and didn't let me upgrade. I think this is an absurd nowadays, even Capcom seems to have learned this.

Yeah, I too bought OG DOA 5 day one. And there's no upgrade path to Ultimate. I'm on PS3 and downloaded the free Core Fighters. It would have been awesome if Team Ninja saw my OG DOA 5 save file and allowed Story Mode and a couple of extra characters to be unlocked for FREE in Core Fighters.

So if I ever wanna play through Story Mode I put in the original DOA 5 disc and play that cos it I'm not paying to have it unlocked in Ultimate Core Fighters. Is the OG DOA 5 story mode any different to the Ultimate Story Mode anyway?

Ninja Dom

For Last Round I'll get it on PS3 digital for hopefully a £25 UK price.

Apart from 1080p on PS4 and Xbox One, are you guys expecting any other significant graphical upgrades?

Inuhanyou

If this has all the DLC I am in. If it's another basic version then I'll abstain.

Its a compromise version. It has the DLC characters on disk, and whatever costume DLC you already bought is transferable. They say there are more costumes on the disk now, but i dunno

Xbudz

I bought the original Dead or Alive 5, felt burned when Ultimate came out- and now this?

PmFKOeT.jpg

Ugh, shit like this makes me really miss the days when a game was launched with everything included on day one.

cireza

∀ Narayan;128705246 said:
Hopefully Team Ninja has more than this and Hyrule Warriors to show at TGS.

Team Ninja does not work on Dynasty Warriors games, it is Omega Force.

Pimpbaa

I bought the original Dead or Alive 5, felt burned when Ultimate came out- and now this?

Ugh, shit like this makes me really miss the days when a game was launched with everything included on day one.

Yeah, just like Street Fighter 2 back in the day....oh wait!

MUnited83

For you.

PmFKOeT.jpg

... it's a fighting game. They never launch with everything on day one.

JPS Kai

∀ Narayan;128705642 said:
Yeah, I figure that Omega Force is doing a majority of the work. Still, their label is on the game, and their involvement in the title's development is enough to warrant a mention.

Probably because of the Hayabusa/DoA fighters and stages. Any time you take a screenshot on the ps4 version of WO3U, it watermarks the pic with a copyright by bandai namco because of Sophitia.

DarkCloud

Here's hoping that this release will also expand on the music selection mode that they added to Plus. While I'm happy we got 2-4's tracks I really want them to add the OSTs for the Saturn and PS1 versions of DoA1.

flohen95

Probably because of the Hayabusa/DoA fighters and stages. Any time you take a screenshot on the ps4 version of WO3U, it watermarks the pic with a copyright by bandai namco because of Sophitia.

For the WO series that would probably be the case, but he's talking about Hyrule Warriors here, and that game was in fact co-developed by Team Ninja.

On topic: Might buy this when it's <20 bucks, which, by the time I'll own a PS4, it'll probably cost. Depends how much the game improves due to being on PS4/Xbox One. Don't want to spend too much money since I recently bought Ultimate.

Inuhanyou

Re-quoting myself cause i posted it in a dumbass location a few days ago instead of here :p

Don't even know if this is the right section, sorry guys...but is this thread worthy? Its DOA5 info

- DOA5 last round more advanced skin shaders and soft body physics exclusive to next gen
- TGS build at 65% completion
- Character models have been refined, much reduced jagged polygons and limb clipping
- 1080p/60fps for next gen versions
- Team Ninja's next game to focus much more heavily on PS4/Xbox One advancement

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2014/09/20/80748.html

Interview Courtesy of Inside-Games

luffeN

No.

The age limit changed nothing in the earlier games, other than allowing you to see the uncensored intro to DOA2.

Any thing that said otherwise is perpetuating a false myth.

I am 99% sure that DOA 2 on Dreamcast let you change the breast size with the age but it may be a wishful memory.

Top Bottom