• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive: Dimensions [3DS] Direct Feed Screens.

StuBurns

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
To my eyes it looks just as smooth as RE:R, which we've actually seen in motion and on the hardware. If there is bullshottery going on then Capcom is equally guilty.
If you expect the kind of IQ on display in these DoA screens on the 3DS you are going to be very disappointed.

The 3DS is a beast, but it is not magical.

Lion Heart said:
That would be Epic games.
They're not so bad anymore, those early Gears shots were pretty ridiculous though yeah.

StuBurns said:
If you expect the kind of IQ on display in these DoA screens on the 3DS you are going to be very disappointed.

It's pretty damn close.

KamenSenshi said:
Still looks good. Havent been hyped like this for a system since Dreamcast, this line up is awesome. To fit in with the age 99 cheat from DOA2 I expect some 3d jiggle in face mode though.:lol

Please, PLEASE tell me you're joking that you still believe this to be true...

Pimpbaa

KamenSenshi said:
Still looks good. Havent been hyped like this for a system since Dreamcast, this line up is awesome. To fit in with the age 99 cheat from DOA2 I expect some 3d jiggle in face mode though.:lol

Age 99 did nothing in any of the DOA games (except maybe DOA1, since that was the only one I didn't play).

Frankfurt

Banned
Can't help but wonder if this isn't a fighting game version of Code Chronus (the ninja-only action RPG that Itagaki had planned for down the line). We've only seen the ninja, and Raidou is still alive (like he would be in CC).

Also, is that the Torn Sky Blast? I wonder if it'll be useable in-game.

I'm ambivalent on going ninja-only... On one hand, no Tina. On the other, new story would be nice.

AceBandage said:
Even the backgrounds look completely different from the E3 shots.
It's pretty obvious some major development has gone into the game since then.

Pfft. The stages were taken from Dead or Alive: Ultimate and Dead or Alive 4. The only difference I see here is that one new character.

wsippel

Banned
Looks nice, but the lighting seems rather flat. Not to mention I prefer the character designs from more recent Team Ninja games line Sigma 2 or Other M. Still impressive, though.

scitek

Vic said:
Tekken 6 PSP looks better!
9bkx1s.gif

StuBurns said:

The AA is far from perfect in some of those shots and there's some serious issues with the mipmapping in that shot on the bridge, this isn't perfect bullshot territory IQ we're seeing here. What I suspect we may be seeing is shots from "2D mode" just like we got from Starfox, which appears to benefit from free 2x supersampling through jittered sampling.

StuBurns said:
They're not so bad anymore, those early Gears shots were pretty ridiculous though yeah.

I take it you missed the batch of Gears screens they released yesterday? They're just as ridiculous as Epic's bullshots always are.

Edit:

This shot sure as hell isn't exhibiting anything close to "perfect" IQ:

WC2h2wtEE3KvDLAyR1M1rHseNvUuL8vI.jpg

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Great!

Hope Team Ninja puts in Zero Suit Samus as a special guest character! :D
that would be awesome

but if it's Samus, I'd expect the Varia suit or whatever.
Remember Nicole in DOA4? No skintight clothing for you!

wsippel

Banned
brain_stew said:
The AA is far from perfect in some of those shots and there's some serious issues with the mipmapping in that shot on the bridge, this isn't perfect bullshot territory IQ we're seeing here. What I suspect we may be seeing is shots from "2D mode" just like we got from Starfox, which appears to benefit from free 2x supersampling through jittered sampling.
This is very old information so my memory is a little fuzzy, but as far as I remember, PICA200 does ripmapping by default, not mipmapping. Which is basically an oldschool approach to anisotropic filtering.

StuBurns

Banned
brain_stew said:
This shot sure as hell isn't exhibiting anything close to "perfect" IQ:

WC2h2wtEE3KvDLAyR1M1rHseNvUuL8vI.jpg
There's some shitty compression, I bet the game looks nothing like that, and looks exactly like the obviously direct feed shots already posted in this thread.

What I want to know is since tools pan the PSP for being "a portable console experience"; how is 3DS getting a bunch of "portable console experiences" now justified? Oh wait - TREE DEEZ! :lol :lol :lol

It's DoA. Can't really bring myself to give a poo. In one hand it's a middling tier fighter at best, on the other - fighting game with no joystick = no play.

The Take Out Bandit said:
What I want to know is since tools pan the PSP for being "a portable console experience"; how is 3DS getting a bunch of "portable console experiences" now justified? Oh wait - TREE DEEZ! :lol :lol :lol

It's DoA. Can't really bring myself to give a poo. In one hand it's a middling tier fighter at best, on the other - fighting game with no joystick = no play.

Great contribution.
You're really going places.

*Sigh* Honestly this game doesn't look as good as Dead or Alive 2 on the Dreamcast. Not to mention that the Dreamcast had to render games at a far higher resolution, I mean yeah it's 3D so it has to render it twice (trust me I'm an expert with this kind of stuff) but the screen is so teenie tiny.

Vic is right, Tekken 6 and Soul Caliber on the PSP decimate this game. It's ridiculous how cheap Nintendo has been going since the 3DO-like Nintendo DS. Hell the iPod Touch has way better graphics. Anybody try that Citadel demo? Amazing.

With iOS device gaining popularity and Android on the rise, it seems to be game over for Nintendo's portable division. SONY wisely abandoned the PSP brand and redirected their focus on mobile devices and soon to be the upcoming tablet market. Sad to see that Nintendo didn't take note.

StuBurns said:
There's some shitty compression, I bet the game looks nothing like that, and looks exactly like the obviously direct feed shots already posted in this thread.
Damn StuBurns did Team Ninja run over your dog or something?
Or have you actually played the game and can thus legitimately make that claim?

StuBurns said:

Compression doesn't cause the same artefacts that broken mipmapping does, dude.

I don't think the game will look exactly like those shots either.

In S3D mode at least, it might well do in 2D mode, though

ombz

Flying_Phoenix said:
*Sigh* Honestly this game doesn't look as good as Dead or Alive 2 on the Dreamcast. Not to mention that the Dreamcast had to render games at a far higher resolution, I mean yeah it's 3D so it has to render it twice (trust me I'm an expert with this kind of stuff) but the screen is so teenie tiny.

Vic is right, Tekken 6 and Soul Caliber on the PSP decimate this game. It's ridiculous how cheap Nintendo has been going since the 3DO-like Nintendo DS. Hell the iPod Touch has way better graphics. Anybody try that Citadel demo? Amazing.

With iOS device gaining popularity and Android on the rise, it seems to be game over for Nintendo's portable division. SONY wisely abandoned the PSP brand and redirected their focus on mobile devices and soon to be the upcoming tablet market. Sad to see that Nintendo didn't take note.
is this a joke?

Boney

Banned

3ds has lepricons that affect our thought process.

ombz said:
is this a joke?
Yep. A pretty bad one at that.

StuBurns

Banned

Fighting games by design are typically well suited to portable gaming. When there are hand raping action games (and Ninja Gaiden has already been announced for it, so that could be the one) I think people will be just as dismissive if it's as uncomfortable.

The reason something like GoW is not well suited to the PSP is because of the physical design of the console more than anything. If the 3DS is comfortable to play for extended periods using the nub, awesome. I've not played it so I can't say.

_dementia said:
Damn StuBurns did Team Ninja run over your dog or something?
Or have you actually played the game and can thus legitimately make that claim?
I love Team Ninja. But they put out screenshots that are bullshit every single time, this is no exception. And I think the game will look perfectly fine, but I also have no doubt that these screens are bullshit.

Check out what they claimed NG looked like on the Xbox.
1123291324.jpg

It just irritates me, it was legitimately one the best looking games of the generation and they still feel the need to bullshit.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
What I want to know is since tools pan the PSP for being "a portable console experience"; how is 3DS getting a bunch of "portable console experiences" now justified?
Just like every Nintendo handheld before it?

Flying_Phoenix said:
*Sigh* Honestly this game doesn't look as good as Dead or Alive 2 on the Dreamcast..

Time to plug that Dreamcast back in there, I think. Last time I checked my copy didn't have any normal maps and most of the backgrounds were just a flat 2D bitmap.

Elixist

brain stew said:
I take it you missed the batch of Gears screens they released yesterday? They're just as ridiculous as Epic's bullshots always are.
Their paintings come to life man! Grats on tag btw you deserve it.

Please Team Ninja back to 3 COUNTERS, high medium low thats all you need. The 4 counters in part 4 was really fuckin stupid in which shouldve easily been the best game in the series. Back to basics on the counters guys, played so many intense competive matches on doa2 for dream, then when I had friends over to play part 4 they couldnt understand the counter system and after playin tons of hours I'd even forget to press forward counter for jump kicks and medium kicks, bad bad bad design, please back to 3 counters. That is all.

Game looks pretty good, I expected better graphics honestly, Doa4 is still the nicest looking fighter around imo. Any vids about? That may change my mind.

Thanks!

I'm sure if you're going from NDS to 3DS this is a world of difference.

I take it the DS ran over your grandmother or something.
Really quiet sorry to hear that.

abstract alien said:
Every thread on gaf, I swear. If it isn't a moderated topic, shit turns into gamefaqs.

Nintendo putting out hardware that can compete graphically has fried a few people's brains, I reckon. They don't know what to do, its serving up precisely the sort of thing that they crave but since its from Nintendo its pretty much a reflex action to rubbish it outright.

If Nintendo really does put out a Wii successor in 2011 that comfortably outperforms the PS3 and 360 as I suspect they will do then things are going to become even more insane.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Flying_Phoenix said:

This must be a variation on a meme I'm unaware of.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
brain_stew said:
Time to plug that Dreamcast back in there, I think. Last time I checked my copy didn't have any normal maps and most of the backgrounds were just a flat 2D bitmap.
You do have a short memory...

DECK'ARD said:
This must be a variation on a meme I'm unaware of.

Its the trust me I'm an expert on Japanese culture one but he veered way too far from the source material (of a meme that has already run its course) to make it work. Shitty attempt, I give it 2/10.

ILikeFeet

Banned
brain_stew said:
Nintendo putting out hardware that can compete graphically has fried a few people's brains, I reckon. They don't know what to do, its serving up precisely the sort of thing that they crave but since its from Nintendo its pretty much a reflex action to rubbish it outright.

If Nintendo really does put out a Wii successor in 2011 that comfortably outperforms the PS3 and 360 as I suspect they will do then things are going to become even more insane.

they just don't believe in the Nintendo magic

Gravijah

brain_stew said:
Its the trust me I'm an expert on Japanese culture one but he veered way too far from the source material (of a meme that has already run its course) to make it work. Shitty attempt, I give it 2/10.

you are the edge magazine of meme raters

Top Bottom