• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive: Dimensions [3DS] Direct Feed Screens.

Luigiv

StuBurns said:
EDIT2: Here's the proper size, nice quality.
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss10_E3.png
You see, much nicer. It's still got more Jaggies then the DoA shots but it doesn't look quite so far removed as the first screen did.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Looks like DOA to me... nothing surprising or outstanding. The series only real graphical leap was from the first to the second. 3 and Ultimate looked like marginally improved DOA2's and from the screens and videos I saw of 4 it was in the same boat.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Being honest here most of these 3DS games we've seen so far look superior to most of the Gamecube and Xbox games during their launch window. This system should be capable of amazing things. I wouldn't be surprised if we see games that rival Half-Life 2 (PC) in the near future. And with Team Ninja being graphical gods I'd love to see what they could do.

Or it could be frontloaded like the Gamecube where games look great at launch but never progress much further beyond. Has the DS even been "maxed out" yet?

I wouldn't really look too much into Kid Icarus as far as 3ds capabilities are concerned. The game is running at 60fps(from what I've read), so its screenshot quality might not really be what most would consider "up to snuff" as the developers have pretty much made motion the main focus of its visual fidelity instead of the usual intricate details that are associated with games featuring 30fps with some minor slowdown. Once we get one of those, I'm sure it will look much better than any screenshot Kid could ever put out.

StuBurns

Banned
Luigiv said:
You see, much nicer. It's still got more Jaggies then the DoA shots but it doesn't look quite so far removed as the first screen did.
It appears to me to have the exact same framebuffer set up as the E3 direct feeds of DoA, native screen res, no AA. However, yeah, it looks nicer. My intent wasn't to mislead, I think the other shot looks good too. And it is the coolest screen of the game released, nice framing.

I know generally people's argument seems to be that games just look so much better in motion that direct feeds actually do a worse job of conveying what your experience will be, and that might well be true, but it just irks me for some reason, with every developer who does it, but Team Ninja just stand out as the worst offender to me, and considering they're technical mastery of lots of hardware, it always seems about the most redundant. If your game looks ass, I could understand though.

Ezduo

Banned
Luigiv said:
Also worth pointing out that the image has been upscaled, compressed for flv then compressed again as a jpg. The IQ has taken a fairly big beating there.
Someone please explain what "IQ" is, I swear I've been browsing this board for years and I've never heard of this in regards to video games.

Ezduo said:
Someone please explain what "IQ" is, I swear I've been browsing this board for years and I've never heard of this in regards to video games.
I believe it stands for Image Quality, but I could be wrong.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Ezduo said:
Image quality.

StuBurns said:
kidicarus.jpg
This is what 3DS games look like, and that is great, there's no need to lie to people.
People trying to pass Kid Icarus off as the pinnacle of 3DS hardware capability is really getting fucking annoying. Sakurai himself said that he learned things from the RE:R demo, but apparently that was complete bullshit and DoA can't possibly look any better than the early E3 shots and if you disagree you're lying to people.

StuBurns

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
People trying to pass Kid Icarus off as the pinnacle of 3DS hardware capability is really getting fucking annoying. Sakurai himself said that he learned things from the RE:R demo, but apparently that was complete bullshit and DoA can't possibly look any better than the early E3 shots and if you disagree you're lying to people.
When did I say it is the 'pinnacle of 3DS hardware'? I didn't. I really don't care if you think I'm annoying or not, that is what the ignore list is for, and we'll see who was correct when the game ships.

StuBurns said:
When did I say it is the 'pinnacle of 3DS hardware'?
How else are we supposed to interpret "This is what 3DS games look like and if you say otherwise you are a liar"?

StuBurns said:
When did I say it is the 'pinnacle of 3DS hardware'? I didn't. I really don't care if you think I'm annoying or not, that is what the ignore list is for, and we'll see who was correct when the game ships.
Annoying as in you spreading your nonsense to other people means that I end up reading this dreck in every 3DS thread. Brain_Stew annihilated you on the technical questions but you just blew off his posts and went on blabbering about how the shots can't be real. And you still insist, against all logic, that the final product will only look as good as the early E3 images.

It is not the fact that you espouse these beliefs that bothers me--I don't give a good goddamn if a man has convinced himself that the world is 6000 years old--but rather the fact that you present these things in such a way that others might make the mistake of taking you seriously.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Boney said:
I was holding you to your word. You said you'd take it when I'd die.
...you smart bastard. it's going your way now, but you never know what's coming next!

Lindsay said:
Or it could be frontloaded like the Gamecube where games look great at launch but never progress much further beyond. Has the DS even been "maxed out" yet?
As far as 3D goes, I'd say Dragon Quest 9 and Ni no Kuni are pushing the system about as far as it's going to go. The DS has definitely come a long way from launch.

StuBurns

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
Annoying as in you spreading your nonsense to other people means that I end up reading this dreck in every 3DS thread. Brain_Stew annihilated you on the technical questions but you just blew off his posts and went on blabbering about how the shots can't be real. And you still insist, against all logic, that the final product will only look as good as the early E3 images.

It is not the fact that you espouse these beliefs that bothers me--I don't give a good goddamn if a man has convinced himself that the world is 6000 years old--but rather the fact that you present these things in such a way that others might make the mistake of taking you seriously.
Okay, this will be my final post on the subject. A couple of things before we get to IQ. Firstly, I didn't blow Stew's post off at all, I didn't say the pictures weren't produced with the details he claimed, I said they are not coming out of a 3DS, and I don't believe he actually said he believes they were direct-feed. Secondly, I did not say the game couldn't look better than the E3 shots. Third, I don't believe in God or that the world is anywhere near that young. Okay, so on to what matters.

I don't care what any publisher has released in terms of media, they've all released trailers that are bullshit in the past, same for screens, so the only thing I care about in this discussion is what I know has been running on live 3DS hardware, and that I know this for a fact. So, lets look at the games actually shown running in real-time at E3.

Here are a few, in nice quality, real resolution.

First Zelda, this is a old ass N64 game, what's going on with the IQ? No AA, shocking.
scrn_zeldaOcarina3DS-03.jpg

Moving on, Starfox 64, an enhanced port, they doing more work than with Zelda if I remember right, changing more, here it is. Better IQ, still nothing like the DoA screens.
3DS_Starfox64_01ss01_E3.png

Now, Mario Kart, I think maybe the best looking 3DS game at E3, really beautiful, but what's up with the AA? Fuck all.
Mario-Kart-3DS-1.png

Now the big one, the one that chocked everyone's chicken, Metal Gear.
997803_20100615_790screen001.jpg

Beautiful game, looks in many regards better than the PS2 version, and yet, IQ nothing compared to those DoA images.

So, when someone shows me something on the 3DS that looks even remotely as good as the DoA screens, I might believe you, but considering no one has, and the direct screens from E3 of DoA are in the same AAless state as what would appear many 3DS games are, I'm going to think you are most likely wrong till proven otherwise.

I'm done, and you're probably on the ignore list.

EDIT: And I didn't say that's what 3DS games look like and people saying otherwise are lairs, misquoting me really? Pathetic.

StuBurns said:
Secondly, I did not say the game couldn't look better than the E3 shots.
Stopped reading here. You are simply full of shit.

Edit: I lied and read more. Holy crap:

StuBurns said:
First Zelda, this is a old ass N64 game, what's going on with the IQ? No AA, shocking.
http://www.nintendojo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/scrn_zeldaOcarina3DS-03.jpg[IMG]

Moving on, Starfox 64, an enhanced port, [B]they doing more work than with Zelda if I remember right[/B], changing more, here it is. Better IQ, still nothing like the DoA screens.
[IMG]http://elder-geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/3DS_Starfox64_01ss01_E3.png[IMG]

Now, Mario Kart, [B]I think maybe the best looking 3DS game at E3, [/B]really beautiful, but what's up with the AA? Fuck all.
[IMG]http://shufflingdead.com/wp-content/uploads/Mario-Kart-3DS-1.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
:lol

This is all that's needed as a reference for anyone who reads your post.

StuBurns

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
Did the meaning of "exactly" change while I wasn't looking?
There is a massive difference between saying "it can't look better" and saying "I think it'll look like this".

I think it could look better than the E3 shots, I don't think it will. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.

And I don't know what your 'laughing' post above is about, I remember reading they were doing substantial reworking of Starfox while doing something closer to a straight port of Zelda with some light reworking.

StuBurns said:
And I don't know what your 'laughing' post above is about, I remember reading they were doing substantial reworking of Starfox while doing something closer to a straight port of Zelda with some light reworking.
My work is done here, I just figured I'd quote this so you can't edit it out later.

StuBurns

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
I'm quoting this just so you can't edit it out later.
Okay, I'm perfectly happy with that, as that's what I read and I have no idea what your point is. If it's that they're labeling it a remake, then I think you missed the point.

StuBurns said:
Okay, I'm perfectly happy with that, as that's what I read and I have no idea what your point is. If it's that they're labeling it a remake, then I think you missed the point.
I saw your post before your edit. I take it you just looked at wiki. Nice attempt at a save, but you still look just as ridiculous and anyone who knows even a little about OoT and StarFox can see it.

StuBurns

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
I saw your post before your edit. I take it you just looked at wiki. Nice attempt at a save, but you still look just as ridiculous and anyone who knows even a little about OoT and StarFox can see it.
Do you really think I give a shit what you think? The fact is, the issue was of image quality, and you are happy to argue anything but the facts of the debate. Show me a 3DS game, that was seen running on the hardware, that had an IQ even approaching those DoA screens. If you can't, seriously think why that is.

I don't care if you admit you can't (and I know that you can't), I just want you to know you are wrong. Very much like your religious reference, much like arguing with a 'believer', they will try to deflect the actual debate every way possible, because they can't answer, I have to wonder if they know they're wrong, for some reason it just makes them red in the face arguing harder.

And if you want to know the truth, I did wiki to try and see what you were talking about, but I did indeed know it was being labeled a remake, I'm quite the podcast addict and it was discussed in a number of them.

StuBurns said:
Do you really think I give a shit what you think? The fact is, the issues was of image quality, and you are happy to argue anything but the facts of the debate. Show me a 3DS game, that was seen running on the hardware, that had an IQ even approaching those DoA screens. If you can't, seriously think why that is.

I don't care if you admit you can't (and I know that you can't), I just want you to know you are wrong. Very much like your religious reference, much like arguing with a 'believer', they will try to deflect the actual debate every way possible, because they can't answer, I have to wonder if they know they're wrong, for some reason it just makes them red in the face arguing harder.
You have not only proven that you lack even a cursory understanding of technology, but also that you're basically blind and think that this:

Is an N64 port.

Brain_Stew is far more technically versed than either of us and has already schooled you on the IQ issue. Your half coherent (and entirely incorrect) ramblings involving StarFox and Zelda and fucking Mario Kart as the most graphically impressive 3DS game are the best defense you can muster. Forgive me if I don't feel a need to pen essays to discredit you further; you do it far more effectively than I can with each post you make.

geeko

HMMMMMMMMM screens of a game for a system that has no release date. Oh no they wont change at all before the actual system comes out, never. It will look just like this when it comes out. I'M SURE OF IT!

StuBurns

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
You have not only proven that you lack even a cursory understanding of technology, but also that you're basically blind and think that this:

Is an N64 port.

Brain_Stew is far more technically versed than either of us and has already schooled you on the IQ issue. Your half coherent (and entirely incorrect) ramblings involving StarFox and Zelda and fucking Mario Kart as the most graphically impressive 3DS game are the best defense you can muster. Forgive me if I don't feel a need to pen essays to discredit you further; you do it far more effectively than I can with each post you make.
As for the port/remake debate, lots of ports looked substantially better, NGS for example. My limited understanding the issue, as mentioned in my post that contained those images, was that Zelda would involve limited redesign work, where as Starfox would have a lot more work done to it.

As for Stew's post, we'll see, I've yet to see anything that is even remotely that good looking, he is indeed very informed about such things, and he did not say that he was sure by any stretch, but I don't believe those images are direct feed.

We shall see when we see at a later date who was correct. And again, you did not even attempt to show evidence of a game with similar IQ that we know isn't a bullshot. I wonder why.

zoukka said:
Why are psp fanboys butthurt over 3DS games looking good? The psp is old as fuck.
If you're referring to me, I don't like the PSP, I have one for the few good titles, but it's fairly crap in every design regard compared to the DS except graphically.

Lindsay said:
Or it could be frontloaded like the Gamecube where games look great at launch but never progress much further beyond.

Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Rouge Squadron III, and Star Fox Adventures alone decimate any of the GC launch window games. The GC was in no way, shape, or form "maxed" during it's launch. Even the mighty Rouge Leader is outclassed by the games listed above.

Not to mention the GC literally got no support (it makes the Wii look like the PS2) but that's a different topic all together.

StuBurns

Banned
GDGF said:
Begun the IQ Wars have.
In truth the 3D effect really changes your impression of image quality from my experience, what these games look like in 2D screens means basically nothing.

onken

brain_stew said:
Nintendo putting out hardware that can compete graphically has fried a few people's brains, I reckon. They don't know what to do, its serving up precisely the sort of thing that they crave but since its from Nintendo its pretty much a reflex action to rubbish it outright.

Uh Gamecube was basically on par with PS2/Xbox.

onken said:
We go through phases. Back in the day a lot of people clung to hope that the Wii would be a lot more powerful than it is based solely on the Gamecube precedent. Now the phenomenon works in reverse.

StuBurns

Banned
onken said:
It was notably better than PS2 wasn't it? SNES was way better than Genesis. N64 was the most powerful of it's generation I think. It's not that strange that the 3DS could be the most powerful of it's. Although, the iPhone 4 is more impressive to me, and we haven't seen Sony's next handheld.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Segata Sanshiro said:
As far as 3D goes, I'd say Dragon Quest 9 and Ni no Kuni are pushing the system about as far as it's going to go. The DS has definitely come a long way from launch.

DQIX was visually unappealing an unimpressive to me but I've already been down that road x_x; I dunno what that other one is! I dun got much experience with 3d DS games. Animal Crossing WW worked I think cause of its simple art style to begin with but man that games old by now. Phantasy Star Ø looks bad. The demo race from S&SASR DS looked pretty alright to me but racing games usually have a way of looking nice! So mostly I've had bad experiences with DS 3d. Its come some way from Mario 64 DS but still seems weak. Okamiden may change that but in screens it looks terrible and until I have it in the system myself I don't trust videos! What about DS 2d? Kirby Canvas Curse is still one of the nicest looking ones on the system imo. I dunno it just feels like GBA redux to me. Get some amazing stuff early on (Golden Sun!) then blandness sets in as devs coast through the rest of the systems lifespan.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Rouge Squadron III, and Star Fox Adventures alone decimate any of the GC launch window games. The GC was in no way, shape, or form "maxed" during it's launch. Even the mighty Rouge Leader is outclassed by the games listed above.

Some of those are early-ish GC games which kinda count. RE4 was a much later one but I dunno it seemed really gritty to me. REmake and Ø were much nicer looking overall imo.

StuBurns

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Are people really arguing over graphics on a Nintendo handheld? Who gives a flying fuck? You're going to buy it and you're going to love it.
That wasn't debated. It's probably going to have the best launch line up ever, it's the one platform I won't think twice about getting day one. It's going to be incredible.

Lindsay said:
DQIX was visually unappealing an unimpressive to me but I've already been down that road x_x; I dunno what that other one is! I dun got much experience with 3d DS games. Animal Crossing WW worked I think cause of its simple art style to begin with but man that games old by now. Phantasy Star Ø looks bad. The demo race from S&SASR DS looked pretty alright to me but racing games usually have a way of looking nice! So mostly I've had bad experiences with DS 3d. Its come some way from Mario 64 DS but still seems weak. Okamiden may change that but in screens it looks terrible and until I have it in the system myself I don't trust videos! What about DS 2d? Kirby Canvas Curse is still one of the nicest looking ones on the system imo. I dunno it just feels like GBA redux to me. Get some amazing stuff early on (Golden Sun!) then blandness sets in as devs coast through the rest of the systems lifespan.
Well, no, as of the DS we are at the point where good looking 2D is far more a function of budget and art design than "unlocking hidden power" in the tech.

As for the 3D, all I can say is that with the attitude you have towards the situation, there is literally nothing I'm going to be able to do to convince you otherwise. So suffice it to say, the 3D *has* come a long way on the DS, whether or not your eyes can see it.

onken

StuBurns said:
The latest Final Fantasy spin-off thing on DS is the best 3D I've seen on the system, it's beautiful.

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/100/1003795/four-warriors-of-light-final-fantasy-gaiden-20090715083454413_640w.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Joke post? The original Monkey Island looks better.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, no, as of the DS we are at the point where good looking 2D is far more a function of budget and art design than "unlocking hidden power" in the tech.

As for the 3D, all I can say is that with the attitude you have towards the situation, there is literally nothing I'm going to be able to do to convince you otherwise. So suffice it to say, the 3D *has* come a long way on the DS, whether or not your eyes can see it.

Attitude? DS 3d looks bad so even with improvements over time it still looks bad? I don't think I got that attitude! Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Nintendogs all look nice but they're olllddd DS games. My experience with newer ones is limited at best and at worst unpleasant. It might have come a long ways in the wrong ways?

Segata Sanshiro said:
You've got the attitude where you brought up a lot of really good examples of excellent late-generation 3D on the system and then found different bullshit reasons to poo-poo each of them. You don't want to be convinced otherwise, and so you won't. I'm not going to waste my time trying to cram the mashed carrots in baby's mouth if he's clamping shut.

?? I didn't even give reasons initially! All I said was DQIX and PSØ looked bad to me! I did say S&SASR looked nice. Okamiden remains to be seen. I wanna believe but screenshots do it no justice!

If ya want reasons then ok. For PSØ I just can't get over the jaggies and clunky blocky looking everything. Numerous PSOne games still look better then it does. Segac really tried to overshoot what they needed to do with this game. DQIX also has the jaggies issue and due presumably to limitations the overworld is broken up segmented yet even then its pretty barren. Are those bs reasons, opinions, both, something else entirely? I'm not hating for the sake of hating I'm not even hating at all I'm just not seeing these grand graphical improvements over earlier and still nice looking games.

StuBurns said:
Maybe technically, but they used it very well, and in motion is actually looks really great to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ZTY9XZ4q4

uhhhhh Animal Crossing looks better. Okay this game looks much busier and more detailed but looks worse for it is what I'm saying. The character himself just looks plain bad an thats always a no-no. The fade-in/out of even close by scenery is pretty bad to.

But anyways this thread is way to derailed. We should have DOA on the mind! In fact as it is the Dreamycasts birthday I shall replay DOA2 which this game and all other DOAs sans the first looks like!

Top Bottom