• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive: Dimensions [3DS] Direct Feed Screens.

Lindsay said:
Attitude? DS 3d looks bad so even with improvements over time it still looks bad? I don't think I got that attitude! Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Nintendogs all look nice but they're olllddd DS games. My experience with newer ones is limited at best and at worst unpleasant. It might have come a long ways in the wrong ways?
You've got the attitude where you brought up a lot of really good examples of excellent late-generation 3D on the system and then found different bullshit reasons to poo-poo each of them. You don't want to be convinced otherwise, and so you won't. I'm not going to waste my time trying to cram the mashed carrots in baby's mouth if he's clamping shut.

StuBurns

Banned
les papillons sexuels said:
Nothing I've seen on the 3ds is as impressive as what's currently being done on the iphone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keu4GiTGQ6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ncmwgJzqw

Considering that it's also newer hardware, I think it's absolutely pathetic that a phone, or the thing that sony is constantly advertising as nothing compared to the psp, is able to out perform dedicated gaming hardware.
Carmack said the iPhone4 'blows away' the original Xbox, and based on Epic's thing, seems very much the case, it's a true beast.

VAIL

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
so, you expect nothing then, since there was no such feature in DOA2.

The boob physics do somewhat change if you set the age to 99 in the options menu of DOA2/3/4. Apparently also works with DOAXBV1/2.

Not that I noticed any change, or cared. *shrug*

Screens look nice, but I seriously doubt it'll be free of aliasing like these shots appear to be.

StuBurns

Banned
VAIL said:
Rolling tech demos, mindblowing....
Well one of them is kind of a tech demo, the other is a game that's not out yet, but the tech demo of it in person is amongst the most impressive things I've ever seen.

EDIT: That's not to say it's amongst the best looking games ever seen or anything, just that having it running on a little phone was a very big 'wow' moment for me. I hadn't had one since first time I saw 'the core' from Crysis running at a friends house, that was incredible.

Nothing I've seen on the 3ds is as impressive as what's currently being done on the iphone.

Considering that it's also newer hardware, I think it's absolutely pathetic that a phone, or the thing that sony is constantly advertising as nothing compared to the psp, is able to out perform dedicated gaming hardware.
Considering that 1, the 3DS renders double for the 3D effect, 2, we didn't get direct feed video or good video of any 3DS game except for Kid Icarus, and 3, the 3DS wasn't in developers' hands for that long, I wouldn't write off the 3DS's graphics powers just yet.

Is it really that remarkable that a $500 computer can outperform a $200 one?

And while I loathe the Marcus ads, the point of them isn't that the PSP can do better graphics, it's that the games themselves are better. Debatable point depending on what you're interested in, but wholly unrelated to hardware power.

StuBurns

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
Considering that 1, the 3DS renders double for the 3D effect, 2, we didn't get direct feed video or good video of any 3DS game except for Kid Icarus, and 3, the 3DS wasn't in developers' hands for that long, I wouldn't write off the 3DS's graphics powers just yet.
Renders double what? The iPhone 4's resolution is more than double the 3DS's two screens combined.

Luigiv

It's common knowledge that the 3DS's pica200 is nowhere near as powerful as the iPhone 3GS/4's SGX535. It's also safe to assume the 3DS doesn't have as much ram either and it's CPU won't be clocked so fast. However, the 3DS has 2 distinct advantages. 1) The 3DS will not have a bloated resource hunger OS and will allow for optimised low level and 2) the 3DS will actually boast decent battery life for gaming. So let's wait and see for a bit before we write of the 3DS's capabilities.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looks awesome for a first-gen Game....cant wait to see how 2nd generation games will look like :D

Segata Sanshiro said:
As for the 3D, all I can say is that with the attitude you have towards the situation, there is literally nothing I'm going to be able to do to convince you otherwise. So suffice it to say, the 3D *has* come a long way on the DS, whether or not your eyes can see it.

Anybody who says 3D hasn't come a long way on the DS is clearly blind. I still remember when Metroid Prime Hunters was the best graphical game on the system and was like "Man how are they going to top this?" :lol

Lindsay said:
Some of those are early-ish GC games which kinda count.

No they don't. "Early-ish"/=launch window. None of the games I listed were launch window. The earliest one is from Sept. 2002. Not to mention there are many other games that I didn't list that outclass those launch window games such as Twilight Princess and F-Zero GX. The list goes on and on. The problem isn't that the Gamecube didn't offer to much graphic heavy games later on it's life, but more so that it didn't offer too many games in general later in its life. The system was very similar to the PSP as it had a strong start but then just fizzled out. Only with the Gamecube it happened a year earlier than the PSP speaking life-cycle wise. Cut out Resident Evil 4, (the fashionably late) Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 2 the systems library was practically a barren wasteland the second part of its life.

Lindsay said:
RE4 was a much later one but I dunno it seemed really gritty to me. REmake and Ø were much nicer looking overall imo.

Are you seriously comparing games with pre-rendered backgrounds to a full 3D one? Not to mention one of them isn't launch window. You're pulling my strings aren't you?

Luigiv

StuBurns said:
Oh stereoscopic 3D. The PSP thing thru me.
Yeah, the industry really needs to agree on a standard naming scheme so we can easily differentiate between Stereo 3D and 3D Graphics.

My personal vote is that we stop calling Stereoscopy "3D" and reffer to it by it's proper name and we continue to call 3D graphics "3D".

How much battery life do you get out of something like that though? It was the same thing for the PSP when it launched. Fantastic visuals, but the battery life was pathetic. There needs a to be a balance between graphics and power consumption.

scitek

Luigiv said:
It's common knowledge that the 3DS's pica200 is nowhere near as powerful as the iPhone 3GS/4's SGX535. It's also safe to assume the 3DS doesn't have as much ram either and it's CPU won't be clocked so fast. However, the 3DS has 2 distinct advantages. 1) The 3DS will not have a bloated resource hunger OS and will allow for optimised low level and 2) the 3DS will actually boast decent battery life for gaming. So let's wait and see for a bit before we write of the 3DS's capabilities.

3) has buttons

Seriously, fuck the touch-screen only bullshit.

StuBurns said:
Renders double what? The iPhone 4's resolution is more than double the 3DS's two screens combined.

The iPhone 4 is rendering double, more than that actually.

Okay, I see... The iPhone 4 does have better graphics capabilities, but the iPhone was made with very expensive parts. It's price without any plan is $600 according to the fine print here, probably 3 times the price of the 3DS. Heck, it's the price of the 3DS with a contract. Because of that, it isn't "absolutely pathetic" that this phone can outperform a 3DS.

Also, the iPhone 4 has a super high resolution of 960x640. For that resolution, the iPhone produces very nice graphics. However, for the 400x240 the DS has, those early DS graphics are also very impressive, with people already comparing them to Wii games. Basically, I'm saying that it isn't too far-fetched to think a 3DS game at 400x240 can look as good as an iPhone 4 game at 960x640.

StuBurns

Banned
Okay, I see... The iPhone 4 does have better graphics capabilities, but the iPhone was made with very expensive parts. It's price without any plan is $600 according to the fine print here, probably 3 times the price of the 3DS. Heck, it's the price of the 3DS with a contract. Because of that, it isn't "absolutely pathetic" that this phone can outperform a 3DS.

Also, the iPhone 4 has a super high resolution of 960x640. For that resolution, the iPhone produces very nice graphics. However, for the 400x240 the DS has, those early DS graphics are also very impressive, with people already comparing them to Wii games. Basically, I'm saying that it isn't too far-fetched to think a 3DS game at 400x240 can look as good as an iPhone 4 game at 960x640.
No argument at all. Ultimately what actually matters is how good a gaming platform these machines are, and that is far more than graphical performance. Maybe I'm a bit out dated, but I want buttons, I think they are needed for a lot of games, I like the battery to last a long time. Overall the iPhone might blow the 3DS away technically, but it will never be even a platform on par with it in terms of being a device to play games. Which is what matters.

I'm playing KH BbS at the moment, and despite the PSP raping my hand, what I'm thinking is how incredible the KH 3DS game could be. This is probably the best PSP game so far, but I'd prefer it to be more comfortable, I'd prefer nicer graphics, I'd prefer stereoscopic 3D. The 3DS is going to be amazing. I can't wait.

Eh, I'm not a fan of the 3D age. We were getting somewhere with the graphic technology and then 3D comes around requiring things to be rendered twice or from two different angles stalling the improvements in graphics. I don't like that!

TheSeks said:
The boob physics do somewhat change if you set the age to 99 in the options menu of DOA2/3/4. Apparently also works with DOAXBV1/2.

Not that I noticed any change, or cared. *shrug*

Screens look nice, but I seriously doubt it'll be free of aliasing like these shots appear to be.
they don't change.

period.

end of story.

don't believe it?

i suggest getting a vcr of capture card and recording a round or two with the default and 99 and comparing the two.

it does nothing.

geeko

Gravijah said:
I don't even know who is arguing what anymore.

fy1gqx.jpg

I don't know what we're yelling about!

Loud Noises!

seady

I am sure if Epic or id make a game or development toolkit for the 3DS they can push something as strong as that. Afterall they are the biggest hardware-pushing guy in the game industry and their goal is make beautiful looking game to sell game engine.

Also, people seem to forget they are watching flat 2D screen. When it runs in 3D the experience will be way more different.

Luigiv

Darknessbear said:
Eh, I'm not a fan of the 3D age. We were getting somewhere with the graphic technology and then 3D comes around requiring things to be rendered twice or from two different angles stalling the improvements in graphics. I don't like that!
I disagree. 3D is a way more useful graphical gimmick then just more polygons and shaders. It actually makes playing a lot games easier.

Gravijah

Luigiv said:
I disagree. 3D is a way more useful graphical gimmick then just more polygons and shaders. It actually makes playing a lot games easier.

Ehh, would rather horsepower be put towards framerate and physics.

StuBurns said:
No argument at all. Ultimately what actually matters is how good a gaming platform these machines are, and that is far more than graphical performance. Maybe I'm a bit out dated, but I want buttons, I think they are needed for a lot of games, I like the battery to last a long time. Overall the iPhone might blow the 3DS away technically, but it will never be even a platform on par with it in terms of being a device to play games. Which is what matters.
Yes, agreed. It's not outdated to want buttons, though. The day it becomes outdated will be a sad day.

Gravijah said:
I don't even know who is arguing what anymore.
You know what? Me neither. Somehow, it got in my head StuBurns said the thing about it being pathetic that the iPhone's most powerful, but that just shows I need sleep.

No need to argue that the 3DS will be awesome.

Darknessbear said:
I thought this way, too. However, I figured one could argue the same thing with higher resolutions, and that's not "stalling the improvements in graphics". Going from 640x480 console games + 1280x1024 on a monitor to 1920x1080 on my TV was one of the most eye-opening things I've done this year.

Luigiv

Gravijah said:
Ehh, would rather horsepower be put towards framerate and physics.
Since when do developers put any "extra horsepower" they're given towards a stable framerate? First thing a dev will do as soon as they're given more power is throw more effects on top.

And physics are done on the CPU*. 3D shouldn't be much of a burden to the CPU at all.

*With the exception of PhysX and GPGPU computing but those are both non-factors for the 3DS.

I thought this way, too. However, I figured one could argue the same thing with higher resolutions, and that's not "stalling the improvements in graphics". Going from 640x480 console games + 1280x1024 on a monitor to 1920x1080 on my TV was one of the most eye-opening things I've done this year.
No way! Just imagine how awesome it would be if the 360 and PS3 were limited to NES resolutions (256x240).

In all seriousness, Resolution is another one of those factors that not only make games look better but also makes them more playable.

EH, yea I can see that. But I prefer the high fidelity over the subtle effects of 3D. The 3DS tech is nice, but it doesn't really do it for me and is a strain on the eyes.

I'm always down for being proven wrong and Nintendo is the one with the ability to do that.

ResidentDante said:
Why is every 3DS thread invaded by angry PSP owners? :lol

Because if you own a PSP you are generally angry...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This looks ridiculous.

RpgN

You guys are talking a lot about graphics in 3DS threads :lol Well I don't think it's a comparison vs other consoles/handhelds, no one knows how far the 3DS can go and that's still very interesting to know.

Speaking of DoA, is this a new game, port or a mix? It doesn't look that new to me besides the new character. I'm big casual DoA fan here but it wouldn't be worth it if it's not that new.

Ps. Someone said the jump from DoA2 to 3 wasn't that big, are you kidding me?! DoA3 and Ultimate looked gorgeous and it was a new standard. Also, DoA games have always been very impressive graphically. Even DoA1 on the ps1, looked good, clean and pretty fast for a fighter back then.

EDIT
I started to feel that way with DoA4 where the character models looked very similar to the third technically and the rest felt similar too. It looked more sharp and detailed, but then the leap wasn't that big. I remember I read somewhere that they used an xbox1 engine to make DoA4 or something like that?

Playing God of War on my PSP and accidently turning it off three times due to intense fights + awkward hand placement by me = angry PSP owner. >=(

Darknessbear said:
Playing God of War on my PSP and accidently turning it off three times due to intense fights + awkward hand placement by me = angry PSP owner. >=(
Unrelated to anything here... I have to have the vid that you got your avatar from!

Power doesn't mean shit if it isn't used correctly. At times developers can push systems far beyond their limit, others barely get pushed at all.

In long:

Just look at the Super Nintendo, SEGA Mega-Drive (Genesis), and Playstation 2.

These systems were pushed to hell and back. The Super Nintendo was really well designed except that it had an insane bottleneck due to it's weak CPU. The SEGA Mega-Drive was the opposite. It used, compared to the Super Nintendo, outdated hardware. However SEGA managed to grab a then next-generation CPU that greatly outclassed Nintendo's. So essentially with the SNES stuff looked great but ran like shit. With the Mega-Drive stuff ran great but looked like shit. This was the general rule but many developers practically closed the gap. Sure the SNES didn't have anything as crazy as say Treasures Mega-Drive games but games like Contra III and especially Turtles in Time had plenty of action going on screen with not a hint of slowdown. The Mega-Drive's games did tend to look like poopoo and it never did get anything that looked as good as say Final Fantasy VI, but games like Gunstar Heroes and Sonic could do otherwise. Hell, by the end of the generation with games like Star Ocean, Chrono Trigger, Dynamite Headdy, Vectorman, Comix Zone, etc, nearly closed the gap between the two systems. What was once a huge difference between the two practically became non-existent in 1994.

The Playstation 2 was a system that really lagged behind the Gamecube and Xbox. Yet if I were to make a "Top 50 best graphical games of last generation" list the Playstation 2 would hold many positions if not a majority. Developers pushed the system from hell and back. God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Gran Turismo 4, hell I dont even think I need to go on. The system was brought to it's knees time and time again yet it refused to collapse.

In contrast look at the Gamecube and Xbox.

The Gamecube was hardly pushed at all outside of launch window. Many people assumed that Metroid Prime level graphics was the furthest it could go until Resident Evil 4 and Twilight Princess were revealed giving people a glimpse of how much further the system could really go. It was far more powerful than the Playstation 2 yet so many Playstation 2 games surpass anything in it's library not having Rogue Squadron, Resident Evil, or Zelda in the title. I can't think of another system not pushed as much as this one. There was a beast in the Gamecube, it was just never unleashed.

The Xbox is quite possibly the laziest system I can think of. With the exception of Halo and Team Ninja pretty much every "graphical showcase" on the platform is a PC-multiplat. Now yes, yes I know that the Xbox is very similar to PC hardware but that doesn't mean developers couldn't take the time to really push the system to its knees. Case in point if you would take off Riddick, Ninja Gaiden, and RARE's tech demo I can think of a few Playstation 2 games that surpass anything in the Xbox's library...that's pathetic. While the system certainly doesn't have the most crafted technical design in gaming's history, it was still an insane beast for what it was. Unfortunately that less than a handful of developers really pushed that system. I mean think about it. Throw out Halo 1 and 2, Doom 3, Ninja Gaiden, Riddick, Smilebit, and Rare's tech demo, what are is the system left with that has it lived up to the "most powerful console of the generation"?

In short:

Sure the system may be weaker than the razor's edge of the current generation of mobile devices, but it's up to the developers to decide just how big that gap is. They could bring the 3DS far beyond it's limit, or they could drop the ball completely. This goes double for iOS and Android developers as well. Citadel and RAGE's engine had everybody's jaws drop to the floor. The graphics were so advanced that they could pass as a PS3/360 game. What was even more amazing was how smooth the games ran, hell a nice 30fps on the 3GS was possible. Yet a few months ago people were praising the graphics of the PSX esque Chaos Rings and were pleased to see it running at like 40fps on the 3GS. Developers take a hint from Epic and iD or continue dicking around with the platforms, one of those ways the difference between the 3DS and mobile devices is huge, the other one it's practically a non-issue. Again it's up to the developers to use what they have.

mclem

Darknessbear said:

The improvements in graphics that are - in part - leading to massively increased games budgets, and causing severe shortfalls in many parts of the industry? Right now, handhelds are a safe haven from that. At least 3D is a pretty cheap effect from a dev cost standpoint.

Luigiv

Flying_Phoenix said:
Pretty good points there, Though it's worth pointing out that it's actually impossible to push the iPhone to it's real limits. There is a huge layer of abstraction between the hardware and the application, meaning it's developers can't optimise their code at a low level. That fact that Rage and Epic Citadel look so good is just a testament to how overpowered the freaking thing is but in reality they're barely pushing the hardware at all. Not in the same sense that dedicated gaming devices can be pushed, at least.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
StuBurns said:
Saying that, is there any media of NG 3DS? Do we know if it's another port of NGB?

EDIT: Luigiv is right about that screen, I found a native sized version but the compression was obscene, it was from IGN.
EDIT2: Here's the proper size, nice quality.
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss10_E3.png
i21_11f47.gif

Top Bottom