• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 4: Frank's Big Package coming to PS4.

//DEVIL//

I thought this is a MS xbox only game ( along with the PC version. didn't expect it to be released on PS4 at all to be honest.

what the hell MS is doing? they cant even keep an exclusive ?

Not really complaining though. just finding it odd. specially since 3 wasn't released on PS4

Dead Rising 3 was probably my favorite of the series so far, so I'm looking forward to this one.

That's basically where I was before playing DR4 on XB1 last year. DR3 is a far better game unfortunately. I didn't even mind many of the gameplay changes but once you get outside of the mall the game becomes pretty repetitive and often downright boring, with largely the same scenarios, environments, voice samples, etc. repeated over and over and over. You can tell they really just cheaped out on it other than the mall.

I still had a decent amount of fun with it but don't expect it to be anywhere near as good as DR3.

Why didn’t Dead Rising 3 make the jump to PS4?

Dead Rising 3 is a first-party MS Studios game that was fully funded by MS. It's Capcom's IP, but MS paid the bills for that game to exist.

Dead Rising 4 is a Capcom-game that MS bought timed-exclusivity.

Defuser

So they are gonna port this to PS4 without fixing any of the problems that made DR4 bad in the first place? Then what is the point?

Jawmuncher

Dead Rising 3 was probably the best middle-ground they could achieve with the series keeping something for OG fans while making it more accessible. Though they could have done a little more with it. IMO they really need to start making the games with timers in-mind and then just cut them out or making them very forgiving for other modes. DR3 nightmare mode is really tacked on.

I thought this is a MS xbox only game ( along with the PC version. didn't expect it to be released on PS4 at all to be honest.

what the hell MS is doing? they cant even keep an exclusive ?

Not really complaining though. just finding it odd. specially since 3 wasn't released on PS4
They made it rather clear this a was a timed exclusive around the time it was announced.

Microsoft moneyhatted it.

Microsoft funded it. It's a first-party game, like Ryse or Sunset Overdrive.

It's worth remembering that DR3, Ryse, SSO ( all games that MS has no IP ownership ) was funded in a time when MS didn't mind making huge AAA investments on properties they don't own/control long-term fate.

RootCause

So they are gonna port this to PS4 without fixing any of the problems that made DR4 bad in the first place? Then what is the point?
To sell it to people that don't have access to an X1, and gaming PC. And make more money too. Come on, it's simple stuff.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ghost Trick Returns
e520b7652e6f7036f9a2421d2264a75a.jpg

We know our game sucks, so here is some fanservice to hopefully peel some hardcore in.

Zukkoyaki

So is the game actually poor or is this just a case of salty fans who didn't like the changes to a franchise they like?

Nope.
Original is still king.

I'll never understand this sentiment. The original has actually aged pretty badly as far as the shittier controls, horrible survivor AI, ridiculous area transition loading, awful conversation interface, etc. DR2 fixes all of that and adds some great new elements while still preserving the same formula as DR1.

I get why some people don't like DR3/DR4 for changing that formula, but DR2 basically perfected it.

I see they imported the Cammy model from Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite

Cold blooded

So is the game actually poor or is this just a case of salty fans who didn't like the changes to a franchise they like?

I personally thought it wasn't fun and the protagonist stunk. I never even played the classic dead risings for longer than ten minutes, so it has nothing to do with the changes. It just wasn't a fun game for me.

dmix90

I feel like 2 improved on just about everything over 1.
There are QoL changes but i feel that they made game a bit worse. It is also designed differently..... you can pretty much finish everything in your first playthrough among other things.

IMO: 1>2>3...not played 4 yet and not sure if i will unless it's dirt cheap.

AmuroChan

Really surprised by this announcement. I thought MS funded and published the game? Wasn't this revealed to be an X1 exclusive?

silva1991

A game hat reviewed mediocrly and flopped last year is finally coming to the PS4. I'm sure it will sell well.

Dead Rising 3 is a first-party MS Studios game that was fully funded by MS. It's Capcom's IP, but MS paid the bills for that game to exist.

Dead Rising 4 is a Capcom-game that MS bought timed-exclusivity.

I was under the impression that 3 came to PC and PS4 for some reason.

I mean, they paid for it all the same. That's what I meant by my comment.

I guess the connotation changed when I wasn't looking.

Again, you're wrong. The connotation never meant when a publisher fully funded it's existence, and without that pub the game wouldn't be here. You're putting your own spin on the word to suit your narrative.

Zukkoyaki

Its reviews were tepid, it sold poorly and fans hated it. What more do you need to know?

Well "fans" on the internet tend to hate everything so it can be hard to tell.

Cold blooded

I personally thought it wasn't fun and the protagonist stunk. I never even played the classic dead risings for longer than ten minutes, so it has nothing to do with the changes. It just wasn't a fun game for me.

I would say the latter.

Whoa, super mixed.

Berordn

Again, you're wrong. The connotation never meant when a publisher fully funded it's existence, and without that pub the game wouldn't be here. You're putting your own spin on the word to suit your narrative.

Slow your roll, no narrative. Microsoft paid for the game outright is all I was saying.

I have no strong opinions on it one way or another.

Really surprised by this announcement. I thought MS funded and published the game? Wasn't this revealed to be an X1 exclusive?

MS funded DR3.

MS published this game, but publishing =/= permanent exclusivity. Publishing can also mean that they take up the role of marketing/distribution, but are not necessarily the party that forked the development bills. ( eg. Sony publishing Nioh/No Man's Sky; MS publishing ROTR/PUBG )

This was revealed as a timed-exclusive. 90 days exclusivity on Xbox/W10 vs Steam, one-year exclusivity for other consoles.

Whoa, super mixed.

I'm definitely not saying that people shouldn't bother with it or that my opinion is the only one worth listening to. I'd say watch a bit of gameplay and see if you dig it. Personally, it's just not my cup of tea though.

I played a few hours of it. Had fun. Would go back to it in full but I realize it's not a full on DR experience but a fun game in and of itself.

Zukkoyaki

I'm definitely not saying that people shouldn't bother with it or that my opinion is the only one worth listening to. I'd say watch a bit of gameplay and see if you dig it. Personally, it's just not my cup of tea though.

Yeah, definitely feels like a "your mileage may vary" game

Jawmuncher

Dead Rising 4 is a solid like 6 or 7 depending on what you're looking for. If you're wanting the Survival and time management of DR1 along with psychopaths you ain't getting that here.

If you want a zombie beat em up it's fine. Could be better but it's not terrible per se. I'd still recommend all the other DR games over it though.

My biggest complaint was it was dumb downed a bit too much (and I'm not one to really complain about that) and the map is pretty bad with its circular design. Along with the exclusion of real psychopaths.

RootCause

Whoa, super mixed.
The internet hates everything, from Despacito, to TS latest single. Personally, try it out yourself. I know I would've missed tons of games if I followed internet instructions. :)

Top Bottom