• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Risng 2: Case West announced (360 Exclusive)

FrankT

plagiarize said:
do sales figures bear this out? i thought multiplatform games had a higher percentage of PS3 sales when the PS3 version had some exclusive DLC (like seen in Batman: Arkham Asylum).

Depends. Batman DLC certainly helped( nearly 1:1 last time I saw the NPD figures, RDR not so much(about the same as GTAIV. The Dante's Inferno exclusive helped as well(brand packaging more than anything possibly). On the opposite side Fallout 3 DLC for certain had an impact. Wasn't close. It's the trade off these companies get in the end if it is worth it. The Dead Rising 2 DLC is most certainly an exclusivity deal; as I mentioned early on this thread very early in the process Inafune said 360 users would get something 'extra". Now on Live today there is an ad that says; Get ready for Dead Rising 2, Full story only available on Xbox live. I mean clearly it's a deal just like all these deals Sony and EA have struck all year long. It's not really something new either nor something that is going to go away this generation. Likely to get worse really as it is basically the only real way to distinguish one game from another until next gen. So in the end it's business and it could be argued bad business, but if the sales are impacted that much I'd say these companies would start to shy away from it.

aristotle

plagiarize said:
do sales figures bear this out? i thought multiplatform games had a higher percentage of PS3 sales when the PS3 version had some exclusive DLC (like seen in Batman: Arkham Asylum).

Only in my mind ;). Actually the PS3 slim released around the same time and Batman was a brand new game then. New PS3 buyers were looking for the newest game and it would've been Batman. I still highly doubt that system specific DLC means it'll sell better on that system. It will be true for DR2, but is it because DR1 never made it to the PS3 or the DLC? I think it's the former before the latter. Until a multiplatform release comes out day and date with exclusive DLC on the PS3 though (when nothing else can influence the sales figures), I think the DLC doesn't matter. With the aforementioned Dante's Inferno, that game's target audience was the PS3.Especially with GoW3 right around the corner. It was more of a cash in than anything. DR2 will sell more on the 360, but not because of DLC. It's because that's where the main audience for the game is. I'll be surprised if DR2 sells more on the PS3.

Either way, I hate that exclusive DLC crap. It should end already. Exclusive games make more sense, but not DLC. I think we'll see both DLC packs on PC/PS3 before next Christmas though. MS has alot of exclusive DLC, but it almost always comes with a release window and nothing more.

Top Bottom